Mordhau

Lets face it, Mordhau is dying and we all know why

603 473
  • 15 Aug
 esturias

@Rergato said:
... give them time.

How much time do they need for...
...establishing a very basic communication with their playerbase and showing a rough direction for the game?
...fixing the most obvious issues that can get fixed within minutes?

The whole sympathy for them being new and a small team just holds up to a certain point - and we went past that point long ago.

23 10

hopefully people will come back after invasion mode replaces frontline and duel mode comes

1337 1390

If we are honest, one could have predicted this shitshow when this whole Rick issue got public. Still can't believe how ridiculous that was.

Knight 5096 6834

Rick issue? Wtf?

367 340
  • 15 Aug
 Peacerer

The sole reason for "Mordhau is dying" is game's boring. It's not about developers communication, number of maps nor absent SDK. It's about whether the game is fun or not. Bordhau is not a fun game!

717 587

i still really like the mechanics (mostly because i've never played a "competitive" first person slasher before) but yeah it's still a very very "indie" game and all the problems i had with it at the start turned out to be universally complained about by everyone else later instead of it going away with playtime (just kick shields lol!), which confirms my theory that the really really good beta players are just insanely stockholm syndromed. but hey. that's video games — getting insanely good at a bunch of predefined parameters set by devs, even if the parameters are amateur game design

i'm still super interested to see what the modders will do, and if that will influence the game design decisions of the devs. that might be a beautiful relationship that ends up setting a new design standard

382 575
  • 8
  • 15 Aug
 smug

tbh a "Laserswords" mode would be able to circumvent a lot of the problems even the combat system of this game is bound to.

Wall jumps, as an advanced analog movement option, which helps immensely in not getting surrounded in 1vX and adds enormous dynamics and verticality. It was one thing Mirage did really right: constant movement and outmaneuvering. Force play in general just has high potential if it's analog, highly controllable, and most importantly, not too floaty.

Being bound thematically to Medieval Europe really holds the game back, and often gives people the impression that the game is a simulator rather than an abstraction of real fighting. Much like how no one would compare Tekken to real MMA. Creating an entirely new setting would give them the freedom of trying out more creative solutions to fix certain issues like 1vX, while also making it easier for people to suspend disbelief. Don't like held block shields? They don't exist in Star Wars ;)

Mirage was a step in the right direction, but it just wasn't an actual good game.

on game modes, etc. Mordhau is a strange experience where extreme love and detail is evident in things like the melee system,

To be honest I'm not even sure we can give them props on this aspect of the game's development. Most of the hard work involved in the conception of a melee system was done by the foundations of the system Torn Banner had already created. Perhaps you could give them credit on improving the animations, and refining said system but thinking about it. What did they really introduce that was novel in terms of mechanics? Chambers? Something that's undermining the game at the top levels? The 240 system that doesn't work with intermediary angles that are useless and just serve to make clean inputs harder. and that is also irrelevant because the game lets you bind attacks to individual keys? Several other nuances from Chiv that make 1vX impossible? Lunge? I think that their best work is in the art/engine/animation(sorta) department, not the actual game design.

Knight 7573 13872
  • 15 Aug
 ToLazy4Name

@CocyxTheGaySkeleton said:
i still really like the mechanics (mostly because i've never played a "competitive" first person slasher before) but yeah it's still a very very "indie" game and all the problems i had with it at the start turned out to be universally complained about by everyone else later instead of it going away with playtime (just kick shields lol!), which confirms my theory that the really really good beta players are just insanely stockholm syndromed.

the vast majority of alpha players thought shields were shit and have always been shit lmao what are you on about

717 587

@ToLazy4Name said:

@CocyxTheGaySkeleton said:
i still really like the mechanics (mostly because i've never played a "competitive" first person slasher before) but yeah it's still a very very "indie" game and all the problems i had with it at the start turned out to be universally complained about by everyone else later instead of it going away with playtime (just kick shields lol!), which confirms my theory that the really really good beta players are just insanely stockholm syndromed.

the vast majority of alpha players thought shields were shit and have always been shit lmao what are you on about

what da fuck. why didn't they change it then. isn't that the point of an alpha. lol

Duke 340 964

What irks me the most is that they’ve made probably close to 50 million from sales, yet we haven’t seen any of it put back into the game; the development speed if anything seems slower than it had been during the alpha. I do not believe that the devs ever intended to truly commit to the game’s development: Mordhau is simply a side project for them, a hobby. The lack of communication is pathetic, and honestly, quite lazy. Rust, one of my favorite games, despite being in development for several years held a consistent playerbase because they provided WEEKLY updates and consistent communication. Sure, the updates were often small, but it was enough to keep the players excited about what was coming. It’s not hard to do and it goes a long way to keeping your playerbase content and excited about the future of the game. Providing a wimpy “devblog” one every couple months isn’t good enough. Where did all that money go? I understand if Triternion pocketed it, that’s their right, but maybe you all could chip in a little bit and hire a couple new devs?

1337 1390

@Humble Staff said:
Rick issue? Wtf?

I mean this drama.

That whole issue was just ridiculous.

Knight 917 2521
  • 15 Aug
 Pred

@CocyxTheGaySkeleton said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

@CocyxTheGaySkeleton said:
i still really like the mechanics (mostly because i've never played a "competitive" first person slasher before) but yeah it's still a very very "indie" game and all the problems i had with it at the start turned out to be universally complained about by everyone else later instead of it going away with playtime (just kick shields lol!), which confirms my theory that the really really good beta players are just insanely stockholm syndromed.

the vast majority of alpha players thought shields were shit and have always been shit lmao what are you on about

what da fuck. why didn't they change it then. isn't that the point of an alpha. lol

Every big problem in this game you can think of now, was beaten to death in alpha - shields, animations, instas, frontline, horses, firepots, spawnblocking, you name it. They remained like that because of devs decisions to keep them in such state, not because nobody had noticed for year and a half in alpha.

717 587

@Pred said:

@CocyxTheGaySkeleton said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

@CocyxTheGaySkeleton said:
i still really like the mechanics (mostly because i've never played a "competitive" first person slasher before) but yeah it's still a very very "indie" game and all the problems i had with it at the start turned out to be universally complained about by everyone else later instead of it going away with playtime (just kick shields lol!), which confirms my theory that the really really good beta players are just insanely stockholm syndromed.

the vast majority of alpha players thought shields were shit and have always been shit lmao what are you on about

what da fuck. why didn't they change it then. isn't that the point of an alpha. lol

Every big problem in this game you can think of now, was beaten to death in alpha - shields, animations, instas, frontline, horses, firepots, spawnblocking, you name it. They remained like that because of devs decisions to keep them in such state, not because nobody had noticed for year and a half in alpha.

huh. from my understanding there was a secret discord full of alpha testers that the devs exclusively listened to, but apparently they just Fuckin Ignored That Too

Knight 7573 13872
  • 15 Aug
 ToLazy4Name

@CocyxTheGaySkeleton said:

@Pred said:

@CocyxTheGaySkeleton said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

@CocyxTheGaySkeleton said:
i still really like the mechanics (mostly because i've never played a "competitive" first person slasher before) but yeah it's still a very very "indie" game and all the problems i had with it at the start turned out to be universally complained about by everyone else later instead of it going away with playtime (just kick shields lol!), which confirms my theory that the really really good beta players are just insanely stockholm syndromed.

the vast majority of alpha players thought shields were shit and have always been shit lmao what are you on about

what da fuck. why didn't they change it then. isn't that the point of an alpha. lol

Every big problem in this game you can think of now, was beaten to death in alpha - shields, animations, instas, frontline, horses, firepots, spawnblocking, you name it. They remained like that because of devs decisions to keep them in such state, not because nobody had noticed for year and a half in alpha.

huh. from my understanding there was a secret discord full of alpha testers that the devs exclusively listened to, but apparently they just Fuckin Ignored That Too

No, there's the private feedback channel on the discord where people the devs think know the game well enough can discuss things in a focused environment, but it's not like the devs actually just listened to them. The devs (or at least the original team) are all veterans of this little niche genre and are effectively on the same level as the comp players, and they do what they want.

717 587

@ToLazy4Name said:

@CocyxTheGaySkeleton said:

@Pred said:

@CocyxTheGaySkeleton said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

@CocyxTheGaySkeleton said:
i still really like the mechanics (mostly because i've never played a "competitive" first person slasher before) but yeah it's still a very very "indie" game and all the problems i had with it at the start turned out to be universally complained about by everyone else later instead of it going away with playtime (just kick shields lol!), which confirms my theory that the really really good beta players are just insanely stockholm syndromed.

the vast majority of alpha players thought shields were shit and have always been shit lmao what are you on about

what da fuck. why didn't they change it then. isn't that the point of an alpha. lol

Every big problem in this game you can think of now, was beaten to death in alpha - shields, animations, instas, frontline, horses, firepots, spawnblocking, you name it. They remained like that because of devs decisions to keep them in such state, not because nobody had noticed for year and a half in alpha.

huh. from my understanding there was a secret discord full of alpha testers that the devs exclusively listened to, but apparently they just Fuckin Ignored That Too

No, there's the private feedback channel on the discord where people the devs think know the game well enough can discuss things in a focused environment, but it's not like the devs actually just listened to them. The devs (or at least the original team) are all veterans of this little niche genre and are effectively on the same level as the comp players, and they do what they want.

what a strange little video game

603 473
  • 15 Aug
 esturias

@SWSeriousMike said:
That whole issue was just ridiculous.

Can't you just sum it up in a few lines? No interest watching that kind of video...

717 587

@esturias said:

@SWSeriousMike said:
That whole issue was just ridiculous.

Can't you just sum it up in a few lines? No interest watching that kind of video...

that video is a real good insight into sociopathic tendencies. rick just gaslights everyone. it's pretty funny

Knight 7573 13872
  • 15 Aug
 ToLazy4Name

@esturias said:

@SWSeriousMike said:
That whole issue was just ridiculous.

Can't you just sum it up in a few lines? No interest watching that kind of video...

Rick cheated, pretended not to cheat, got banned.

58 126
  • 15 Aug
 Quadsword

@norshin said:
Don't be so dramatic. We had one content update and another one is coming up. I don't get the sudden hate train of the devs.

It's not a 'sudden hate train'. It's months of pent up frustration at the devs' utter lack of caring. That content update you speak of was universally hated by the community.

Stop trying to gaslight everyone and make it seem like everything's okay. Mordhau is going down the tubes fast and this "everything is fine" attitude will only accelerate that process.

Count 171 246

Just waiting on TO.