Mordhau

Lets face it, Mordhau is dying and we all know why

83 50
  • 15 Aug
 Budd

Its a fat fucking L to me and anyone that wants to see this game succeed

This game has the greatest potential be something absolutely amazing but its being ruined.
The game has so many flaws that just get worse and worse by the week, so many broken mechanics, limited amount of viable weapons, unfair spawn balance on maps and the toxicity of the game.

We need to stop lying to ourselfs about the state of the game, its not ok, its in a horrible condition and needs desperate fixing. A balanced game doesn't go from 60,000 peak players to 40,000 in a month, then to 17,000 the next, then 9,000 and 5,000 today as of August 15.

Something has to be done for this game to succeed, not just new maps and cosmetics to make my self look more like a 11 year old edge lord that made his first OC on deviant art like oh wow cool but the balancing is still shit. The meta needs fixing, I hate having to use the same 5 weapons over and over again because they're so good. I want to use other weapons without being immediately put at a disadvantage because im not using the halberd. The meta that Mordhau is in right now ruins the creativity of the game, its boring.

Theres a reason why 83% of the player base quit, its because the games losing its fun, its not fun to immediately get fucked by a edge lord using a maul and becoming a baby rage once you kill them, its not fun to be forced onto the blue team on crossroads, its not fun to just swing aimlessly with the war axe and get free kills because that shit gets boring theres not challenge, its not fun to take this game seriously.

The only way I can have fun anymore on this game is if I make Ironic loadouts that I just goof around with and do really dumb and shitty tatics with. I want to be able to actually try and know that I died because of my skill and that I messed up, that I can do better next time and learn from my mistakes. That just doesn't happen.

I love the fuck out of this game dude but unless Triternion gets their shit together or hire new devs (which is really fucking un-likely at a business standpoint) i dont expect it to survive the winter, Once the new update drops people will come back by default but if the update is a disappointment, that being the maps are broken in someway, they dont fix alot but the loud problems, (EX: Horses, Firebombs and Buckler in the last Dev Blog) the player base might rise to about 15k minimum and its going to dwindle even lower than 5,000.

Only gods knows if this might be the last update and Triternion walks away with tens of millions of dollars in their pockets and calls it a day

We'll just have to wait and see :(

84 133
  • 15 Aug
 IllOmens

I was hopeful about Mordhau because it wasn't developed by Torn Banner, turns out Triternion is just as awful, just in a different way. LUL

83 50
  • 15 Aug
 Budd

@IllOmens said:
I was hopeful about Mordhau because it wasn't developed by Torn Banner, turns out Triternion is just as awful, just in a different way. LUL

I mean... at least they fixed reverse overhead?

601 471
  • 15 Aug
 esturias

The development of the whole thing is highly disappointing, but the game is still far from dead. That term is mostly meaningless anyway due to its inflationary use by all those antsy kids these days...

The big question is: Will it ever recover, even when it makes some positive progress?

83 50
  • 15 Aug
 Budd

@esturias said:
The development of the whole thing is highly disappointing, but the game is still far from dead. That term is mostly meaningless anyway due to its inflationary use by all those antsy kids these days...

The big question is: Will it ever recover, even when it makes some positive progress?

I really hope so, but the term is quite literally true in this sense. The games player base had dwindled to a spec of what it used to be just little over 4 months ago. That's fucking ridiculous, people will still go on about how the games perfectly fine and balanced. As I said a balanced game doesn't lose 50% of its players in 3 months. Someone with a big enough voice needs to let triternion know this.

40 16
  • 15 Aug
 norshin

Don't be so dramatic. We had one content update and another one is coming up. I don't get the sudden hate train of the devs.

83 50
  • 15 Aug
 Budd

@norshin said:
Don't be so dramatic. We had one content update and another one is coming up. I don't get the sudden hate train of the devs.

No one hates the devs, were just all really disappointed

1334 1389

@Budd said:
people will still go on about how the games perfectly fine and balanced.

I haven't witnessed that opinion in weeks. Not even Fashionhauers and roleplayers are really satisfied at the moment.

Knight 693 1581
  • 15 Aug
 das

My optimism has faded.

Recently, an interest in a shield rework was expressed, then decided against because devs believe it would do more harm than good to the game's playerbase with shield crutchers being deprived of hold-RMB. When the playerbase has shrunk so much, it's really strange to me that they are so afraid of taking a risk when by their own admission they say held-shields will never be fun and forever be fundamentally broken and clunky.

The stance on BR is unmoving. When I try to explain that the reason BR feels bad for the average player is because they wait minutes for a game to start, only to have it end in seconds, and that even a victory lasts just four minutes, the reply I get is - "if BR was any longer, no one would play it", missing the point of the criticism. Suggest a team-focused BR and you get replies of "that's not a Battle Royale like the book" or "we don't want to be like every other BR." ...The social aspect is 90% of the reason we even played games like PUBG, that we can squad up with our friends vs the world. Shows a disconnect with the casual players who don't just want a loner solo repeated random-weapon duel simulator.

I foresee a similar phenomenon for ranked 1v1 with the planned BO5/FT3 format for it. "The point is to have fast matches." Trying to explain the lack of time to adapt to cheese, and that the perception of not having enough time to adapt (whether it's a valid belief is NOT the most important factor here) to such things, falls on deaf ears. Their fear is that "losing 0 - 5 is going to feel slow and terrible for noobs". Isn't that what ELO is for? "No one wants to play a 9-round game". Except plenty of people would be glad to play a neck-to-neck bo9/ft5 that goes to 5 - 4... people of all skill levels love close matches... I really don't understand this part.

Frontline's story, map designs, and black ops development as a whole... this has been covered extensively by release players enough already.

I had high hopes Horde's potential and enjoyed its flow in Taiga in alpha (well, beta). But releasing it as is, especially with ladders and all, really struck me as odd. This and the fact that minute-job player clip brushes on Taiga trees were never added despite doing a rework on the bridges (which takes more than just a few minutes) also really strikes me as odd.

Weapon balance is the smallest offender imo. Everything's generally useable. Things like unreadable accels, broken stabs, and stamina warfare duels are problems with other systems, not the weapons and their values themselves. Even the purportedly overly safe low risk high reward weapons like Zweis and Halberds and Spears would be balanced if they were highly compelled to wear mail torso or forced to give up helmet + lvl 2 legs entirely if they wanted plate torso (so that even a BS/LS can one or two shot them with precision).

Even the expectations for their own game feels low. "It was naturally going to fall to a regular 5k, the genre is too niche." At the same time, they are so undermanned that that may be a realistic assessment rather than a sabotaging self-fulfilling prophecy. It's hard to say though. But what I do know is that, beyond just the core melee mechanics, there is some unrealized potential gestalt of a game that so many of my IRL friends who have never touched Chivalry (or have sub-10 hours) were really hyped for. We played a boatload of Mordhau, were disappointed by things like lack of team BR and the FL maps, but had a blast with dueling, farming pubs, seeing people get ballista'd and catapulted while yelling, etc. It used to just be the lack of manpower that, while saddening, made me understanding of the devs' limitations and timelines. However, I can no longer be naively optimistic about decisions irrespective of time that being made. There seems to be some sort of disconnect with players both current and prospective, as evidenced by the level designs, modes being released in their state, comments on game modes, etc. Mordhau is a strange experience where extreme love and detail is evident in things like the melee system, and then utter detachment and lack of direction is palpable in other aspects. Highly detailed and beautiful maps outfitted with boring lighting and horrendous, worse-than-Team Fortress Classic early maps' chokepoints and design choices.

Maybe these two new maps and 1v1 ranked mode will be awesome. I won't be around to try myself for their release assuming it's coming this quarter. Mordhau has a base that can take it back to 30k+ concurrent players on the regular imo. Whether or not that can be realized before SDK, and whether or not it ever will, I guess I'll see when I randomly check up steamdb a couple years later.

tbh a "Laserswords" mode would be able to circumvent a lot of the problems even the combat system of this game is bound to.

Wall jumps, as an advanced analog movement option, which helps immensely in not getting surrounded in 1vX and adds enormous dynamics and verticality. It was one thing Mirage did really right: constant movement and outmaneuvering. Force play in general just has high potential if it's analog, highly controllable, and most importantly, not too floaty.

Stormtrooper projectiles, slower than arrows and much noisier both visually and aurally, making them much easier to react to and thus parry so they feel less cheap. In return, these are blasters you can repeatedly shoot (unless sniper), and shooting against other blaster bros is more akin to traditional FPS. Basically, a lasersword guy is untouchable if you're using a blaster in a 1v1, but have two blasters from different angles and he has to be much more tactical about his positioning now. Adds actual strategy and tactics rather than just being ranged annoyance.

part 2: https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/19472/lets-face-it-mordhau-is-dying-and-we-all-know-why/?page=3#c50

Knight 917 2520
  • 15 Aug
 Pred

@das said:
Recently, an interest in a shield rework was expressed, then decided against because devs believe it would do more harm than good to the game's playerbase with shield crutchers being deprived of hold-RMB.

Wait, what?

So shields will remain unchaged?

86 184
  • 15 Aug
 Dekkers

Double post - read one below

86 184
  • 15 Aug
 Dekkers

@norshin said:

1. It's not a sudden hate train
  2. Don't be so dramatic... what?

loll.png

There's literally almost nothing left

Maps are STILL broken (fixes are incredibly easy, what the fuck devs)
I even still have the 'no XP, no gold' bug from time to time, THIS LONG AFTER RELEASE (I had it 30 min. ago, lol)

It's a joke

Duke 544 898
  • 15 Aug
 Goatie

Chiv 2 looking better and better lads

86 184
  • 15 Aug
 Dekkers

@Goatie said:
Chiv 2 looking better and better lads

Which is funny, because if the Devs only tried even a little bit this could have worked out so much better. Rather than that, they chose (haven't seen any indication proving the contrary) to be lazy and absent

Knight 5096 6834

Shields staying the fucking same??
Now that takes hope out.
I really hope this is some missunderstanding. Otherwise i just slowly see a torn banner-chivalry situation growing up all over again, where the SDK is our best chance of getting the game we are dreaming of.

2 5
  • 15 Aug
 Rivvrs

I am finding it hard to disagree with a lot of this. I love the game so much & it is a shame to see it be unsupported for such a long time when there is such glaring issues. Why can't they take 5 minutes and swap crossroads to the older version or better yet, take 10 and actually fix the map. Why am I still not getting gold/xp this far after launch? Why are the admin/ moderation tools so pitiful? I don't know what is going on with the patch but you can release smaller patches to keep people at ease & to fix issues as they occur. I don't know how many people are on this dev team & I have heard varying numbers but this seems insane for them to have so much success & then backing away so close to the release. I get it that you have been working hard for years making this awesome game but this is prime time, right now when you have loyal players & a decent player base. I knew there would be a big drop-off because it is so niche, but I feel another one coming & maybe at least for me. I play everyday for 1-2 hrs a day & all the issues are really starting to catch up to me. I think they have caught up to JaxPC as he barely even streams his own game anymore. Really wish you guys would be more upfront with us & take control while you still have us here. I wish you all & this game the absolute best.

Knight 334 777
  • 15 Aug
 AngelEyes

Okay so I’m not saying everything is fine but using steam charts you can see the same trend in a very large portions of other games. Example, check vermintide 2’s launch or total war three kingdoms

1757 1412
  • 15 Aug
 Rergato

why is everyone so suddenly dramatic lmfao oh yeah it's summer in the northern hemisphere you kids (includes me too) will stop worrying about the game once school starts

I think Das said it best-- everyone else, there's no need to hate on the devs... give them time.

Remember, they didn't give the game a $60 pricetag.. that says a lot.. there's also no micro transactions, yet, although it wont be bad if they get added (steam market is always good for these competitive games-- keeps the playerbase interested-- cosmetics only)

2 5
  • 15 Aug
 Rivvrs

@Rergato said:
why is everyone so suddenly dramatic lmfao oh yeah it's summer in the northern hemisphere you kids (includes me too) will stop worrying about the game once school starts

I think Das said it best-- everyone else, there's no need to hate on the devs... give them time.

Remember, they didn't give the game a $60 pricetag.. that says a lot.. there's also no micro transactions, yet, although it wont be bad if they get added (steam market is always good for these competitive games-- keeps the playerbase interested-- cosmetics only)

Or we will just stop playing it... I don't think anyone is being dramatic. I think everyone is concerned with the lack of communication & support. There are alot of issues that could be easily resolved, yet have gone unanswered. Everyone is fully aware there is a patch coming within the next week or two. This is more about the lack of communication & bug fixing for the past 100+ days when the game just released a few short months ago... Be a defender all you want be all we are asking for is for the devs to pay attention to the majority of the player base & fix the issues when they come. Not 2-3 months later with no clear date or direction for the game.

Knight 231 1059
  • 15 Aug
 Corsario

Invasion mode (TO), autodownload feature for custom/modded maps and ranked system, together with some fixes for unbalanced issues such as horses (caltrops please) will bring many of us back to the game at full stength.