Mordhau

Unreadable Attacks

295 235
  • 12 Aug
 LoPan

@SWSeriousMike said:
That's up to you. I was just explaining - not judging.
But if you want you to hear my opinion about it: I'm not convinced stamina adds to the game. Gambles providing a stamina advantage might as well just be a symptom and not the disease.

Can’t get gambled if you don’t feint. If someone’s gambling you often use drags/accels. Win the stm game and the gamble game. Just my opinion. Stm is detrimental otherwise fights would potentially last a lifetime.

1052 1695

Also you get stamina on hit which sometimes rewards a successful gamble from unpredictable weapons.

295 235
  • 12 Aug
 LoPan

@Lionheart Chevalier said:
Also you get stamina on hit which sometimes rewards a successful gamble from unpredictable weapons.

Provided you are using second wind. Which let’s be honest... Why wouldn’t you?

1330 1380

What do you think the 'extra' means in the description of Second Wind?

295 235
  • 12 Aug
 LoPan

@SWSeriousMike said:

I’m saying this because without it it’s not significant.

113 79

@LoPan said:

@SWSeriousMike said:

I’m saying this because without it it’s not significant.

honk honk

Duke 544 896
  • 13 Aug
 Goatie

It's at the point where I'd almost rather reverse overheads over these instant attacks and unreadable drags. I could at least reliably parry reverses in chiv by reading body movement and easily parry drags. Here everything is always so neutral looking. I think things should be readable and the skill should be changed into team fights where the pressure will make everything less readable in a natural way. Trying to keep the 1v1 ceiling high and the focus will only lead to things staying unreadable and people will just stop caring.

382 575
  • 13 Aug
 smug

A lot of people looking for an excuse outside their own skill level might agree with you however

You mean top players who take the game more seriously than you or me? If people like Wizardish says there's unreadable shit in this game instead of being arrogant you should probably take heed.

I think things should be readable and the skill should be changed into team fights where the pressure will make everything less readable in a natural way. Trying to keep the 1v1 ceiling high and the focus will only lead to things staying unreadable and people will just stop caring.

It should of been this way from the start, but a lot of people seem to think Mordhau/Chiv is a 1v1 game which it really isn't and SHOULDN'T be. The first ranked mode being 1v1 will set a bad precedent and give FL casuals the wrong idea about Mordhau competitive. If they developed for team modes primarily 1vX wouldn't be in the state it is now.

295 235
  • 13 Aug
 LoPan

@smug said:

A lot of people looking for an excuse outside their own skill level might agree with you however

You mean top players who take the game more seriously than you or me? If people like Wizardish says there's unreadable shit in this game instead of being arrogant you should probably take heed.

I think things should be readable and the skill should be changed into team fights where the pressure will make everything less readable in a natural way. Trying to keep the 1v1 ceiling high and the focus will only lead to things staying unreadable and people will just stop caring.

It should of been this way from the start, but a lot of people seem to think Mordhau/Chiv is a 1v1 game which it really isn't and SHOULDN'T be. The first ranked mode being 1v1 will set a bad precedent and give FL casuals the wrong idea about Mordhau competitive. If they developed for team modes primarily 1vX wouldn't be in the state it is now.

I don’t know who that scrub is nor do I care. He can add me. I’ll spank him.

939 288

@LoPan said:

@smug said:

I don’t know who that scrub is nor do I care. He can add me. I’ll spank him.

A scrub is a guy that think he's fine,
Also known as a buster, talking about what he wants wile sitting on his broke ass

84 133
  • 14 Aug
 IllOmens

@LoPan said:
Maybe for the first duel or two w someone.

I personally don’t have problems consistently reading any particular attacks.

Some players have good combo mix ups that might get you the first couple times around. But everyone has tells and patterns. Just takes a little patience.

I would love to duel you with poleaxe alt-mode and see you "consistently read" my drags or jpegs. I won't hold my breath however.
Not that that's the only thing. If your ping is over 70, approximately a third of your parries will be red parries against a skilled opponent.

Game is busted at a competitive level.

295 235
  • 15 Aug
 LoPan

@IllOmens said:

@LoPan said:
Maybe for the first duel or two w someone.

I personally don’t have problems consistently reading any particular attacks.

Some players have good combo mix ups that might get you the first couple times around. But everyone has tells and patterns. Just takes a little patience.

I would love to duel you with poleaxe alt-mode and see you "consistently read" my drags or jpegs. I won't hold my breath however.
Not that that's the only thing. If your ping is over 70, approximately a third of your parries will be red parries against a skilled opponent.

Game is busted at a competitive level.

Add me. Try your luck.

113 79

@LoPan said:.

Add me. Try your luck.

honk honk

717 586

@DodgeThisYouBastarddd said:

@LoPan said:.

Add me. Try your luck.

honk honk

can u stop owning ppl by typing honk twice at them. no one could possibly withstand such ownage

45 25
  • 16 Aug
 Digganob

@Lionheart Chevalier said:
I would love to see defense be less about timing and more about direction/chambering. Blocking where an attack is coming is far more intuitive than blocking when an attack is coming... especially when attacks can be dragged and feinted/morphed but parries cannot be extended/held or are otherwise dynamic in any way. Parry as an arcadey and static forward invincibility aura is an outdated mechanic and should have been left behind in Chivalry.

I would also like to see swing manipulation eased up on so long as the timing is also eased up on. More control.

In chivalry the mouse was your weapon. In Mordhau your feet and hips are your weapon as wasd is what primarily controls dragging/acceling. No feeling of control like what Chivalry had. No need for slow mo drags or reverses but cmon, Mord falls so short when it comes to swing manipulation.

Leg hits, shoulder drags, various waterfall types and directional morphs are what I would love to see combat based on, rather than feint button and delay drags or accels.

Shields are so annoying because they are immune to timing based offense... when that is literally 90% of the game's offense. Shields had to have location removed as a major factor because no one even knows how to use directional play when the rest of the game is timing based. Shields wouldn't be a problem at all if shields specifically were weaker to directional play and the game in general had more directinal options available and displayed directional concepts inthe tutorial.

I refuse to believe team play would greatly suffer from tightening up parry. Chivalry's parries were easier to get past via direction even when looking up blocked almost every direction of attack. And just like double parry currently gives the player a stamina free parry, double parry could be augmented so a double parry is very lax to direction; making it useful for blocking multiple attacks from multiple attackers where he meta is directional based.

Absolutely yes! You just explained every problem I have with offense in this game! Timing is everything right now and that leads to pretty basic offense, complex offense is boiled down to attacks that are simply hard to read because of how they look, not because of how they act. Manipulating your attacks just comes down to when they hit, never where, and making the parry closer to chambering would definitely make the game much more complex and interesting. Honestly, chambers are really close to useless most of the time, and are mostly an occasional thing you throw in there as a surprise attack, not as a different tool in your arsenal, because parries are just that much better. If you made parries essentially chambers but with different options after the attack is blocked, that would lead to some really interesting combat. Chambers would actually have a use, because they would no longer be a eh why not this guy sucks but rather an alternative to the parry but with different uses. I really hope that once a sort of competitive, high level scene gets up and running, the top players will bring this up, because right now, Mordhau is just looking like a better Chivalry, not a different game.