Mordhau

Map Design Flaws that nearly every map has

132 48

Hey guys, before I start I’ll say I love this game and will continue to support it, however to improve this game I feel like we need to admit most maps are very unbalanced towards one side, I’ll clarify below.

Crossroads: do I even need to say why? Even with two engineers it is impossible to not get massacred by horses, especially for blu team. Something as simple as buildable barricades protecting the distance from spawn to the fort would improve this so much. It is easy for red to bottleneck the blu by camping the ladders and having knights at the only easily defendable entrance. red have an easy time entering the fort and control point by like 5 different entrances whereas blu repeatedly gets bottlenecked on top of being more vulnerable to horsemen. Do I need to even say what’s wrong with firebombs on this map? You understand. “ blank stare into distance imagining my fellow knights burning “

  • Mountain Peak - a great map however there is several easy to reach out of map areas where any dude can set up a ballista and mow down noobs who can’t figure out how to reach them. This is probably the most balanced of all maps in my opinion.

  • Grad - so much fun on this map, however red is at a disadvantage because they literally have no defenses in their spawn and often get pushed back entirely into the red forest, barely ever does blu lose because they even have two ballista on top of walls and easy chokepoints to defend with, who’s idea was it to give blu obvious advantages but not give red slightly more tickets?

  • Taiga - a very fun map especially with the log chokepoints introducing interesting gameplay, fairly balanced as well but I’d argue it is 60% in blus favor because too many times I’ve seen red trapped in spawn by blu blocking the tiny pass in front of red spawn, all you need is spikes blocking it and it’s like Vietnam.

Camp : another great map with a slight imbalance that is barely worth mentioning with red having an advantage due to their mounted crossbow as well as the catapult spawning so much closer to them, ensuring it’s theirs every game.

Thanks for reading this dumb textwall, but as far as I know this isn’t gonna be fixed and I felt it needed to be said. If you don’t agree with me post constructive criticism just please be civil, this is all subjective and there isn’t much right or wrong in map design.

Conscript 150 273
  • 6 Aug
 Kaiowa

I'd add that the restricted area that protects the team's bases in Crossroads is not the same for Blue and Red. Blue can:

  • use Red's ballista
  • enter the horse's area, kill and leave
  • burn their ballista easily

Red can't get anywhere near Blue's base and requires a kamikaze horse rider to burn their ballista.

132 48
  • 6 Aug
 Highlander

@Kaiowa said:
I'd add that the restricted area that protects the team's bases in Crossroads is not the same for Blue and Red. Blue can:

  • use Red's ballista
  • enter the horse's area, kill and leave
  • burn their ballista easily

Red can't get anywhere near Blue's base and requires a kamikaze horse rider to burn their ballista.

That is definitely true, I think though that straight up easier access to the control point is what makes red a lot better, as well as being able to just ladder camp blu all match

613 477
 esturias

It is known.

All maps have those kinds of issues.
There are lots of general problems with mapdesign, like the lack of protected spawnzones and way too many chokepoints that don't fit the amount of players.
And don't forget all the many places where you get stuck or the glitchy places that are annoying to pass.

132 48
  • 6 Aug
 Highlander

@esturias said:
It is known.

All maps have those kinds of issues.
There are lots of general problems with mapdesign, like the lack of protected spawnzones and way too many chokepoints that don't fit the amount of players.
And don't forget all the many places where you get stuck or the glitchy places that are annoying to pass.

The worst part is that the vast majority of these problems could be fixed in like 30 minutes of dev map editing. Also why would they make a map literally designed around cav one of the most broken aspects of the game

942 293

ive never lost on red in Taiga so im not convinced about the blu bias

Sellsword 681 2146
  • 6 Aug
 Goof

Mountain Peak is absolutely not balanced. Blue point is much easier to defend and blue spawns in general are much closer to the objectives. Not to mention if red is pushed past their point they are fucked completely due to bottlenecking at every entrance to the castle. Imo is the second worst map behind Crossroads.

Crossroads you hit every major issue. My main quarrel with Crossroads is the fact that middle is considered a spawn point despite spawning in the exact same spot.

90 109

I'm sorry what, Taiga is balanced? I see blue win 19/20 games.

Which is still better than the 39/40 times red would win prior to the map redesign.

3 1

Crossroads only makes sense if teams PTFO.

3 1

@Goof said:
Mountain Peak is absolutely not balanced. Blue point is much easier to defend and blue spawns in general are much closer to the objectives. Not to mention if red is pushed past their point they are fucked completely due to bottlenecking at every entrance to the castle. Imo is the second worst map behind Crossroads.

Crossroads you hit every major issue. My main quarrel with Crossroads is the fact that middle is considered a spawn point despite spawning in the exact same spot.

The spawning on Crossroads make sense if we look at it as a King of the Hill game mode.

243 139

@chair-apparent said:

@Goof said:
Mountain Peak is absolutely not balanced. Blue point is much easier to defend and blue spawns in general are much closer to the objectives. Not to mention if red is pushed past their point they are fucked completely due to bottlenecking at every entrance to the castle. Imo is the second worst map behind Crossroads.

Crossroads you hit every major issue. My main quarrel with Crossroads is the fact that middle is considered a spawn point despite spawning in the exact same spot.

The spawning on Crossroads make sense if we look at it as a King of the Hill game mode.

but its not king of the hill mode... its frontline/deathmatch/whatever mode.

942 293

i have to agree with the weird spawns on crossroads i think the side who own mid should have right to atleast spawn in castle

132 48
  • 7 Aug
 Highlander

@DefendinMyBase said:
I'm sorry what, Taiga is balanced? I see blue win 19/20 games.

Which is still better than the 39/40 times red would win prior to the map redesign.

I shouldn’t have said balanced, nearly every map is unbalanced with just some less then others.

107 131

@ZugZugNeverEnds said:

@chair-apparent said:

@Goof said:
Mountain Peak is absolutely not balanced. Blue point is much easier to defend and blue spawns in general are much closer to the objectives. Not to mention if red is pushed past their point they are fucked completely due to bottlenecking at every entrance to the castle. Imo is the second worst map behind Crossroads.

Crossroads you hit every major issue. My main quarrel with Crossroads is the fact that middle is considered a spawn point despite spawning in the exact same spot.

The spawning on Crossroads make sense if we look at it as a King of the Hill game mode.

but its not king of the hill mode... its frontline/deathmatch/whatever mode.

Team Deathmatch with circles.

942 293

crossroads is horse map crossroads is won by spawn camping with horse No horse no win the end

942 293

@Highlander said:

@Kaiowa said:
I'd add that the restricted area that protects the team's bases in Crossroads is not the same for Blue and Red. Blue can:

  • use Red's ballista
  • enter the horse's area, kill and leave
  • burn their ballista easily

Red can't get anywhere near Blue's base and requires a kamikaze horse rider to burn their ballista.

That is definitely true, I think though that straight up easier access to the control point is what makes red a lot better, as well as being able to just ladder camp blu all match

also to add to the blue balista its kinda pointless unlike the red you get a tree in the way

41 16
  • 7 Aug
 norshin

@Kaiowa said:
I'd add that the restricted area that protects the team's bases in Crossroads is not the same for Blue and Red. Blue can:

  • use Red's ballista
  • enter the horse's area, kill and leave
  • burn their ballista easily

Red can't get anywhere near Blue's base and requires a kamikaze horse rider to burn their ballista.

The siege weapons are a bad joke for either side, though.

942 293

fair i love the cannon though wish it shot more smoke when shot

132 48
  • 8 Aug
 Highlander

@Antoniokontos said:
crossroads is horse map crossroads is won by spawn camping with horse No horse no win the end

I’m having trouble with suggestions for how to fix crossroads because it’s entirely based around horses, the most broken and hated aspect of the game as well as you would think you’d be finally safe from the horses inside the fort yet the dude who designed this said “ nope, let’s add holes in the fort for both sides for horsemen, so there’s no escape except the ramparts full of firebombs and ladder camping! :D “

23 10

they should hire ex-torn banner designers to help them