Mordhau

Idea for a set of streamlined mechanics if a flail is to be added to the game.

45 25
  • 5 Aug
 Digganob

So I got an idea for if the flail is gonna be added, that shouldn’t be too convoluted or nothing. The rundown is:

• It costs way more stamina to miss, considering the fact that the head keeps moving, requiring effort to not hit yourself.
• Swings for a flail keep moving, unlike other blunt weapons, allowing you to combo on hit, however, it only hits the first player in its path. It’s arguable whether or not to allow combos after the flail is parried, considering a direct counter to that would be riposte-ing.
•Finally, the trademark use for a flail: the only thing that can make contact with a parry is the head, the chain, of course, going straight through them. This would directly counter holding up a shield, as it would be too slow to bring to where the head is coming from.

Hope y’all like this idea, and maybe it’ll soothe the shield haters’ aching bum holes. Hope to see flails added one day!

Knight 644 987

You idea of it being able to combo off a (semi?) hitstop is very interesting and could be a good way to make make the weapon unique. I don't see any big problems with your other ideas either, good post.

1757 1412
  • 8 Aug
 Rergato

I wonder if we're ever going to be able to dual wield flails

942 292

could you imagin how un readable a flail will be with drags lol tbh it should be movement based attacks not the typical swing animations but you have to spin and stuff for it to attack

45 25
  • 10 Aug
 Digganob

@Antoniokontos said:
could you imagin how un readable a flail will be with drags lol tbh it should be movement based attacks not the typical swing animations but you have to spin and stuff for it to attack

Whaaaat? Wouldn’t that make it way harder to read and not to mention balance? Also, my point with this post is to make the mechanics for a flail as unconvoluted as possible. Also why would drags be hard to read? It should essentially just look like a mace when swung but instead of a shaft it’s a chain.

604 474
  • 10 Aug
 esturias

That's all cool and all, but you still ignore how difficult something like that is to implement, as it needs dedicated physics. People never consider that most important part...

Knight 644 987
  • 10 Aug
 VampireDuck

@esturias said:
That's all cool and all, but you still ignore how difficult something like that is to implement, as it needs dedicated physics. People never consider that most important part...

it doesn't tho, it can be animated like everything else. It just needs its own animations.

604 474
  • 10 Aug
 esturias

@VampireDuck said:
it doesn't tho, it can be animated like everything else. It just needs its own animations.

Now just imagine how stupid that would look...

Knight 644 987
  • 10 Aug
 VampireDuck

@esturias said:

@VampireDuck said:

Now just imagine how stupid that would look...

I disagree. Look at chivs flail and how it moves when you turn and realise there is no turncap when not performing an action. It could also be exploited to fake people as the flail looks like it is being swung, but really the bearer is just turning their body. And the performance implications of physics based flails would also be a problem.

604 474
  • 10 Aug
 esturias

@VampireDuck said:
I disagree. Look at chivs flail and how it moves when you turn

Yeah. That looks very stupid. And you barely see the weapon while attacking.
Would most definitely look better these days, but I'd rather not have something like that in the game.