Mordhau

The future of Mordhau

83 50
  • 3 Aug
 Budd

I love Mordhau just like most of the users on these forums but right now Mordhau is in a really bad area. Currently there are arguably a lot of broken aspects of the game in which are being fixed here soon in the next update (Horses, Firebombs, Buckler and so on here soon)
But what really got me on the forums is hearing about a ranked mode into Mordhau. Which personally I believe isnt ready for, its might end up like how Valve tried implementing ranked into TeamFortress 2, where the meta was ruining it. Thats a big problem with games like these, a meta is expected with most multiplayer games but the meta in Mordhau feels like its ruining the creativity of the game. Why use a longsword when you could use something like rapier and heater shield, Why use a evening star when the maul is just a better version of it.
Things like this that ruin the creativity of the game where if you want to survive more than 4 seconds in a fight it'd be better to use a spear or polearm than a mace.

But what really worries me the most is the devs, lets face it, the last major update in june pretty much did little to balance the game. Arguably made things that were balanced... broken and gave us a map that alot of the community doesn't enjoy. I get it, the devs are under a lot of stress and very new to game development considering they sold over 200,000 copies at launch and straight up being harassed by gaming and non gaming articles about "Cultural appropriation" for having only white men... in a game about medieval Europe... which only pretty much had white men in they're armies.

I dont see a very good future for the game, the player base declined heavily and is still declining as of right now. More and more people are quitting due to the fact its really hard to try and take the game seriously and competitively in such a broken state. Unless the devs hire more people and step it up I dont see this game surviving more than an other 6 months. :(

83 50
  • 3 Aug
 Budd

To add in the latest blog post they mentioned modding support which is only a maybe but if the next few updates turn out to be complete disappointments they might have to pull a Bethesda and let die hard fans fix the game for them.

Knight 7571 13864

@Budd said:
Why use a longsword when you could use something like rapier and heater shield, Why use a evening star when the maul is just a better version of it.

stopped reading lmao please do not comment on the state of the game when you have opinions like this

Knight 459 887
  • 3 Aug
 wierHL

Yeah it's looking a bit grim, I hope we can cross 10k again next patch and then retain better with smaller patches. They'll probably have to hire more people then.

83 50
  • 3 Aug
 Budd

@wierHL said:
Yeah it's looking a bit grim, I hope we can cross 10k again next patch and then retain better with smaller patches. They'll probably have to hire more people then.

Certainly, without more people I dont know how they'll pull through

80 116

Pull through what? The game already released...they have their money lmao
It's not like valve is gonna come to their houses and say "aw man, that player count; NOT GOOD. Guess we gotta take all the money back."

382 575
 smug

There's no reason for them to hire more people unless they introduce an actual revenue stream within Mordhau. From a business standpoint it makes no sense, they stand to lose more than they gain.

111 63

They sold 1 million plus copies, valve took 30%.

Say the average price was £20, that's about 14 million to the dev team after valve's cut.
If they actually hired people it would probably be for paid DLC or to create a brand new game.

The future of the game will become more obvious after the next patch, the future then might be better or it could be time to uninstall.

717 587

i would pay for dlc for like, cool skins if it meant the money went towards making the game better. but if they're dumping no money into development then wtf

84 133
  • 4 Aug
 IllOmens

This game is heading towards a dead end. Almost no communication from the devs, the only people they seem to talk to are the pros. Content drought. Comp meta is completely fucked, revolving around abusing red parries, jpgs, instant overheads, etc. Map balance is fucked. Frontline as a whole is fucked. Modding support is sorely needed.

This game could be so much more than it is, it's tragic.

1334 1389

The whole dev team is probably on vacation. It's holiday season after all.

942 289

Why use a evening star when the maul is just a better version of it.

Maul hits hard

but

Eveningstar can combo, so if you miss you don't need to worry about getting killed in seconds unlike the Maul and it has less of a stam drain when attacking with it if im not mistaken

Knight 2227 3998
 Runagate

ES has combos, range, powerful stabs, powerful alt mode, always 2hk.

Maul ohk's on all headshots but it has more windup, less release, it is 30cm shorter, can't combo, and the alt is a rather limp throw that only noobs fall for.

In other words it's fucking stupid to call the maul the better of the two. All it has over the ES is the ohk capability and costing 1 point less.

86 184
  • 4 Aug
 Dekkers

@SWSeriousMike said:
The whole dev team is probably on vacation. It's holiday season after all.

Haven't they been on vacation since release?

84 133
  • 4 Aug
 IllOmens

@Antoniokontos said:
Why use a evening star when the maul is just a better version of it.

Maul hits hard

but

Eveningstar can combo, so if you miss you don't need to worry about getting killed in seconds unlike the Maul and it has less of a stam drain when attacking with it if im not mistaken

The reason why the Eveningstar is 10x better is that jpegs and suckerpunches are extremely easy to pull off with it

942 289

@Runagate said:
ES has combos, range, powerful stabs, powerful alt mode, always 2hk.

Maul ohk's on all headshots but it has more windup, less release, it is 30cm shorter, can't combo, and the alt is a rather limp throw that only noobs fall for.

In other words it's fucking stupid to call the maul the better of the two. All it has over the ES is the ohk capability and costing 1 point less.

well except that one time i threw a maul and it took out a horse rider and then i took it and threw it at a guy climbing a ladder killing him those throws are fun

Knight 2227 3998
  • 5 Aug
 Runagate

I do have to admit that the maul throw can be a great source of hilarity at times