Mordhau

Is Crossroads (frontline) supposed to be unbalanced?

10 9
  • 2 Aug
 Jur

Because it sure looks like it is.

• Red has much shorter distance to cross to safety from spawn than blue (talking about ponies here) + palisade crossing making it much safer for red.
  • Red has buildable palisade just outside blue spawn. If built, it creates a deathtrap just at main entrance to the fort, forcing blue players to battle for it while being exposed to ponyriders or take longer route around, exposing themselves to ponyriders, too. Blue has nothing like that next to red spawn.
  • Due to how unsafe route to fort of blue team is, red team usually has upper hand in controlling catapult which spawns in the middle (I actually think it spawns a bit closer to red spawn).
    With all these things in mind, who would want to play blue team? Did you deduce that large portion of your target audience are masochists?
497 381
  • 2 Aug
 esturias

No, obviously not. That would be stupid. The developer just isn't very good at mapmaking (yet?).

1242 1281

Yes. It was too balanced when it was released so they adjusted it to better fit their vision.
When Taiga was overhauled the game was lacking a completely one-sided shitshow map. Crossroads was made to fill that void. And I have to say they outdid themselves with it.

10 9
  • 2 Aug
 Jur

@esturias said:
No, obviously not. That would be stupid. The developer just isn't very good at mapmaking (yet?).

So if any dev reads this, here is a tip how to suck less at map making:
Make half of map and then mirror it. Viola! Balance guaranteed as well as less work required. I'm sure you love the last one.

497 381
  • 2 Aug
 esturias

@Jur said:
So if any dev reads this, here is a tip how to suck less at map making:
Make half of map and then mirror it. Viola! Balance guaranteed as well as less work required. I'm sure you love the last one.

Devs don't read the forums.
And you don't need to mirror a map to make a balanced one. However, for the bginning this would probably be the simplest option...

10 9
 Jur

@esturias said:

Oh great. I'm sure that not listening to playerbase feedback ends very well. I mean, everybody loves getting griefed, right?

239 287
  • 2 Aug
 idiotgod

They threw this mode together like a day before release and didn't test even 1 aspect of the mode before release, just the servers for it. They didn't have time because they needed that time to work on implementing a Battle Royale mode to compete with Fortnite and PubG.

243 139

mirrored maps sucks though
should be able to balance a fucking map without mirroring it like some lazy goof.

its pretty simple: don't give one team ramps, cover, buildables, perfectly placed ballistae and a catapult spawning right next to their spawn in exchange for a mortar that can turn 25 degrees in either direction (the wrong directions btw) and expose you to whoever thinks throwing something at you would be a good idea... oh and maybe don't make blue spawn open season for horse faggots.

seriously... just the mere fact that blue gets ladders as their main entry points to the outer wall and red gets RAMPS is a huge fucking deal as one is much safer than the other, and well.. if you're on a ladder and there is someone on top of it, blocking your way.. well.. you're fucked pretty much.

just overall bad bad bad design. fire your mapmaker.

520 275
  • 3 Aug
 Gambit

@Jur said:

@esturias said:

Oh great. I'm sure that not listening to playerbase feedback ends very well. I mean, everybody loves getting griefed, right?

And I'm sure your encouraging approach makes them want to read it even more.

243 139

@Gambit said:

@Jur said:

@esturias said:

does anyone really care what a game developer wants though? we aren't here to please their feefees you know.

1242 1281

@ZugZugNeverEnds said:
should be able to balance a fucking map without mirroring it like some lazy goof.

its pretty simple: don't give one team ramps, cover, buildables, perfectly placed ballistae and a catapult spawning right next to their spawn in exchange for a mortar that can turn 25 degrees in either direction (the wrong directions btw) and expose you to whoever thinks throwing something at you would be a good idea... oh and maybe don't make blue spawn open season for horse faggots.

seriously... just the mere fact that blue gets ladders as their main entry points to the outer wall and red gets RAMPS is a huge fucking deal as one is much safer than the other, and well.. if you're on a ladder and there is someone on top of it, blocking your way.. well.. you're fucked pretty much.

I think an even easier fix would be to just improve the game mode. Cut the ticket pool in half and repeat the map with teams switched. At the end the team with the most tickets wins.

78 24
 2B

@SWSeriousMike said:

@ZugZugNeverEnds said:

I think an even easier fix would be to just improve the game mode. Cut the ticket pool in half and repeat the map with teams switched. At the end the team with the most tickets wins.

That would be good Idea actually. Also maybe fix some the Ladders on Blue Side. Bear Traps and Watchers if they push Blue back enough.

The Blue's Ladders are one of my Major Complaints with Crossroads. I don't complain about Horses as the map was designed with them in Mind. Also to the OP, it's easy to avoid a Horse... if you aren't an idiot and don't move or Parry/Block.

10 9
 Jur

@Gambit said:

Random post on forum by random person sure changes a lot.
No, dummy. This is simply statement of a fact. Griefing is often sign of community being ignored rather than being "toxic". Same with real life. Governments ignore people, people start blocking highways and riot. Simple as.

10 9
  • 3 Aug
 Jur

@2B said:
Also to the OP, it's easy to avoid a Horse... if you aren't an idiot and don't move or Parry/Block.

Have you even played 64player crossroads and seen what a clusterfuck it is for blue team? There are like 6-8 horses riding there constantly. Throwing in friendly horses doesn't help either because you can't tell from afar if it's friendly or not and you have to brace yourself regardless, exposing yourself to attacks from behind. Or getting pelted from fort walls by archers/engineers as wall battlements provide excellent cover to take and reload your crossbow behind. Or getting obliterated by catapult.
It's like author wanted it to look like some sort of medieval D-Day.

65 41
  • 3 Aug
 Budd

Overall Crossroads inst exactly fun to play on, I truly believe its unbalanced and needs quite a lot of fixing. But the fixing probably isnt coming anytime soon. The whole Mirror map idea is a good idea considering as we look at past games (mainly tf2) we can notice that maps that are mirrors are liked more by the community because they dont believe they lost because the map was unbalanced but because of a poor team and communication. I think for a start they should make mirrors but in the future they should definitely make new map layouts.

1242 1281

If you look at CS:GO you can see that the popular maps are all asymmetrical. Balance is achieved by teams switching sides.
But even that wouldn't help with Crossroads. The map is just too atrocious. Would help with the other maps though.

850 246

i believe its the cavalry map

672 542

@SWSeriousMike said:
If you look at CS:GO you can see that the popular maps are all asymmetrical. Balance is achieved by teams switching sides.
But even that wouldn't help with Crossroads. The map is just too atrocious. Would help with the other maps though.

maybe if you cut the tickets in half and have 500 for each "phase", a side switch mid-game would work. it'd definitely make frontline more interesting

497 381
  • 4 Aug
 esturias

@CocyxTheGaySkeleton said:
maybe if you cut the tickets in half and have 500 for each "phase", a side switch mid-game would work. it'd definitely make frontline more interesting

Hell no. That doesn't help and wouldn't make things any more interesting. It woud just cut the boredom in half and make things even more chaotic.

Hint: Trying to fix a problem without actually touching the problem is always (and obviously) a bad idea.

19 8
  • 4 Aug
 jebajlo

Everybody know is unbalance. Who cares, we are waiting for bug fixes and new maps.