Mordhau

Arrow Parry Box

Knight 260 706

I was looking over some footage and noticed the parry box for deflecting arrows seemed a bit big. It's covering areas that the sword doesn't even reach. Is this how large it was intended to be or did someone get carried away? Perhaps it can be reduced to a more realistic size. Shields don't even protect you against arrows that low.

Knight 52 67
  • 2 Aug '19
 GramzontheDragon

I think the big issue is when rushing the archer you have no idea what part of your body they are aiming at, as they can aim at your head or you feet while barely moving their bow, so all you can do is aim straight at them and hope for the best with your parry. If you read them right then you get rewarded with the deflection.

11 11
  • 2 Aug '19
 Archangelo

Anything below the belt/above the neck should absolutely never be deflected. Devs are still butthurt from chiv archers so 2h having a pavise shield on parry is intended.

Knight 77 162
  • 2 Aug '19
 ArmedSpartan

It looks a bit weird, yes, but I think it serves a good purpose. In the thick of battle, players aren't going to be focusing on parrying arrows, and it doesn't really happen a lot regardless.

717 605

@Archangelo said:
Anything below the belt/above the neck should absolutely never be deflected. Devs are still butthurt from chiv archers so 2h having a pavise shield on parry is intended.

good. turns out taking pot shots at crowds of melee users isn't a very skilled thing to do and archer mains probably play this game cause they struggle at any real fps

2017 2105
  • 2 Aug '19
 SWSeriousMike

Shields are supposed to counter archers - instead they bypass melee mechanics while providing less cover against projectiles than a maul or dagger. It's been like that for quite some time now.

201 403
  • 2 Aug '19
 serbish

@SWSeriousMike said:
Shields are supposed to counter archers - instead they bypass melee mechanics while providing less cover against projectiles than a maul or dagger. It's been like that for quite some time now.

they provide less cover yes, but the difference is the parry is timed cover, and the shield is passive cover, aswell as on the back. its pretty obvious which will protect you more

if they reduce the vertical hitbox of parry against arrows, the solution then is to crouch with every parry. it would barely make a difference

198 129
  • 2 Aug '19
 bobbydigital

Reason 101 not to pick archers

404 607
  • 2 Aug '19
 smug

Parry has retarded leniency in general..

184 65
  • 3 Aug '19
 CazzyVR

@Archangelo said:
Anything below the belt/above the neck should absolutely never be deflected. Devs are still butthurt from chiv archers so 2h having a pavise shield on parry is intended.

2 Words... Kite Shield hunny...

2017 2105
  • 3 Aug '19
 SWSeriousMike

That's 3 words.

11 11
  • 1
  • 3 Aug '19
 Archangelo

I'm sorry archers scarred you for life in chiv. Randomly parrying arrows/projectiles you weren't even aware of isn't very skilled either and it looks retarded.

184 65
  • 3 Aug '19
 CazzyVR

@SWSeriousMike said:
That's 3 words.

Funny considering Hunny was addressing the person I was responding to and not the "2 Words" I made, Kite Shields. Use them and you have a chance.

2017 2105
  • 3 Aug '19
 SWSeriousMike

A chance at what?

184 65
  • 3 Aug '19
 CazzyVR

@SWSeriousMike said:
A chance at what?

Of not getting hit... do I need to spell it out? Use a Shield, Kite Shields are better both IRL and Game as they have a Larger Surface Area and can therefore be most effective at Blocking most… MOST... Attacks. Please do your search and also I am a HEMA Member and have used a Kite Shield in Combat and can say I'd rather use it as I can block most of the Attacks coming my way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJNbnJw_eBo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APsVY8XGaqQ

404 607
  • 3 Aug '19
 smug

Mordhau is to HEMA as Tekken is to MMA.

2017 2105
  • 3 Aug '19
 SWSeriousMike

@2B said:

@Archangelo said:
Anything below the belt/above the neck should absolutely never be deflected. Devs are still butthurt from chiv archers so 2h having a pavise shield on parry is intended.

2 Words... Kite Shield hunny...

Are you drunk? You are not making any sense at all. Your reply above doesn't match the comment you are quoting.

Same here:

@2B said:

@SWSeriousMike said:
That's 3 words.

Funny considering Hunny was addressing the person I was responding to and not the "2 Words" I made, Kite Shields. Use them and you have a chance.

What are you even talking about? This thread is about parries - not about shields. And definitely not about HEMA.

184 65
  • 4 Aug '19
 CazzyVR

@SWSeriousMike said:

@2B said:

@Archangelo said:
Anything below the belt/above the neck should absolutely never be deflected. Devs are still butthurt from chiv archers so 2h having a pavise shield on parry is intended.

2 Words... Kite Shield hunny...

Are you drunk? You are not making any sense at all. Your reply above doesn't match the comment you are quoting.

Same here:

@2B said:

@SWSeriousMike said:
That's 3 words.

Funny considering Hunny was addressing the person I was responding to and not the "2 Words" I made, Kite Shields. Use them and you have a chance.

What are you even talking about? This thread is about parries - not about shields. And definitely not about HEMA.

Nevermind. I'm not discussing with someone who can't use their Brains. If you use a Kite Shield effectively you can more easily avoid Arrows instead of Parrying them. That's my 2 cents on the subject.

2017 2105
  • 4 Aug '19
 SWSeriousMike

So you are always talking to your imaginary friends because I can't use my brain? This thread is still about parry. If you want to wank to kite shields you can always start a thread dedicated about that. If you ask nicely you can probably find someone on this forum who would draw you some kite shield porn.

874 375
  • 4 Aug '19
 PC_Principal

I agree that blocking arrows (and other throwables) is way too easy with melee weapons as opposed to shields. I always get hit in the foot or head with a shield, I need to aim my shield up in order to be safe from headshots and expose my torso.
let's not get carried away by the inevitable random ad hominem attacks that I'm not a stranger to either. I've complained about mike nitpicking earlier but he's just messing with people and not to be taken too serious when he does. ("kite shield hunny - that's 3 words")