Mordhau

Make beartraps cause a TK.

382 575
 smug

Right now someone can grief with beartraps and all that shows up is the "RIP" notification in the feed that shows up when you die from fall dmg etc.

It should honestly display the TK when a teammate places a bad beartrap to 1.Encourage smart positioning of bear traps, and 2.Allow people to see who is clearly griefing/TKing.

I'm also not sure if the offender gets a TK penalty? If they don't get the penalty it encourages retarded bear trap positioning to farm kills most often to the detriment of your own team, no matter how aware you are you're going to get hit by one and its even worse because there's no voicechat and some people play with chat off. (Not like people let you know where they place traps anyway) Realistically I shouldn't have to deal with my ally for example placing bear traps near blue's main entrance to the center cap point when I'm retreating away from the respawn wave.

The other way is to give allied bear traps a very visible outline that isn't visible to enemies, perhaps consider transparent hud elements as well.

Misleading title sorry.

And sorry If I'm mistaken, I'm not really familiar with bear trap mechanics. I walked over an ally one 8 times in a FL server to test it, and he never got the TK for me dieing so...

Knight 40 51
 Josh

Agreed, I've seen a few people trolling with bear traps and all you see in the killfeed is RIP, so you're not sure if they're just switching class or smashing End unless you're close enough to hear the trap go off (and it's even harder to convince people to kick the troll, plus you don't know who it is unless you saw them close up!).

If they're going to make bear traps more visible for teammates without adding more UI indicators, then maybe they could have the team colour painted onto the trap, but only on the parts that are visible from the direction the user is initially facing.
So if you were blue, then the side facing the user will look like this:
bear-trap-friendly.png
While the side facing away from the user would look the same as before:
bear-trap-unfriendly.png
This would also mean you'd have to be careful about the direction you place bear traps otherwise you make them very obvious.

717 587

neat idea, but i think it'd be better if teammate beartraps just glowed/was tinted to your team color while enemy bear traps looked normal

u can already see teammates thru walls with the team markers anyway

382 575
 smug

N0SQbVr.jpg

This would work.

Just make it contextual, if a player is close to an allied beartrap display the icon. Let us tweak icon transparency as well so it doesnt hinder visibility.

601 471
  • 2 Aug
 esturias

@smug said:
Just make it contextual, if a player is close to an allied beartrap display the icon. Let us tweak icon transparency as well so it doesnt hinder visibility.

Got suggested many times already. I don't get why something like that wasn't introduced/planned with the introduction of traps and things like spikes already. It's a no-brainer...

1333 1382

Because it isn't an issue in duels and small scale skirmishes. Unless it becomes a problem there the balance squad will never notice it.

239 287
  • 2 Aug
 idiotgod

why don't you just watch your step

291 116

make teammates auto crouch through doorways and grass so my traps won't hurt them

291 116

I want a giant teddy bear holding my hand at all times and shaking his head when I'm moving towards a bear trap

382 575
 smug

That isn't the point.

The problem is visibility and the griefing potential of allied bear traps. While yes the counter to not getting TKed by one is to look down, in some instances that isn't possible for example when you're backpedaling away from a fight etc. In a coordinated setting this wouldn't be a problem because the person would tell through voicechat that he has placed a trap behind him, Frontline will never be that setting.

291 116

ok, from a trapper, here's a serious compromise to what you're proposing:

After bear trap placement, for 10 seconds there'll be a warning logo / aura / symbol / sound notification for teammates in small area and teammates will not trigger the trap for 10 seconds. After 10 seconds, the logo disappears. Why only 10 seconds and not permanent? Handholding. Trappers need to be punished for bad placements too, permanent immunity for teammates or permanent markers make it too easy for trappers and also easy for too easy for griefers to destroy all my traps.
If someone deliberately places a trap underneath you, which I agree is a problem, you have 10 seconds to move out and keep an eye on him. Less people will do it if they don't trigger instantly.
Why counting it as a teamkill is a bad Idea? People will run into your traps being the idiots they are and spawnkilling you as revenge or even kicking you because nobody noticed that the teamkill happened with bear trap, all they see is the teamkill. NO THANKS!!!

and some serious advice on how to avoid ally bear traps but also enemy bear traps:
1) YOU CAN CROUCH OVER BEAR TRAPS! However, if you get kicked or hit or attempt climbing a ladder you'll trigger the trap
2) always be suspicious when entering a doorway. Don't forget to look for traps when chasing someone through doors and around corners.
3) Don't walk / run over grass, through bushes and such without thoroughly looking for traps. Crouch through bush.
4) On the defending side, don't use ladders down. If you approach a ladder look for a possible trap first and take another way.
5) Avoid hay piles, dead corpses, ash, dirt and rocks. Those allow for invisible bear trap placement.

601 471
 esturias

Handholding?
Then why do we have those blatantly bright teamcolors instead of just sigils on the armor?
Why do we se modpack and ammoracks?

When you come with Handholding, I counter with consistency. And it's still a no-brainer of course.
Besides that, what's the point of your 10 seconds if I only see (or not) the trap after the next spawn? Your feature wouldn't change anything for me then.

382 575
 smug

@PC_Principal said:
ok, from a trapper, here's a serious compromise to what you're proposing:

After bear trap placement, for 10 seconds there'll be a warning logo / aura / symbol / sound notification for teammates in small area and teammates will not trigger the trap for 10 seconds. After 10 seconds, the logo disappears. Why only 10 seconds and not permanent? Handholding. Trappers need to be punished for bad placements too, permanent immunity for teammates or permanent markers make it too easy for trappers and also easy for too easy for griefers to destroy all my traps.

? I agree that bad beartrap placement has to be punished which is why I suggested a TK/friendly fire punishment precisely to PUNISH bad beartrap placement. You shouldn't be able to trap areas with high degree of foot traffic from your own team with impunity. You see it happen all the time in crossroads, there are areas there where I don't really care if an ally triggers my beartrap because there's literally an ammobox 10 inches away from a chokepoint. A contextual UI indicator is also exactly what I suggested, and I disagree about the immunity stuff you suggested.

Why counting it as a teamkill is a bad Idea? People will run into your traps being the idiots they are and spawnkilling you as revenge or even kicking you because nobody noticed that the teamkill happened with bear trap, all they see is the teamkill. NO THANKS!!!

I mean that's more of a UI issue because the killfeed doesn't show you weapon icons. Beartrappers are #2 behind firebomb users on my "usually a detriment to team" list.

942 289

needs the same with spikes

291 116

I think having my trap destroyed by a teammate is punishment enough. As for spikes, they have been abused but if you try to play spikes serious, sometimes your teammates retreating run into them and there isn't much you can do. Again, I like the developer's choice not to count spikes and bear traps as teamkills.

I like temporary warnings but nothing permanent. Like, enough to avoid the cheeky teamkillers but not enough to prevent unfortunate accidents because they are FUNNY.

"We don't do mistakes. Just happy little accidents"

• Bob Ross, level 50 trapper
942 289

i said the same thing when i kicked a lute player into his own spikes

100 112

@esturias said:
Handholding?
Then why do we have those blatantly bright teamcolors instead of just sigils on the armor?

Are we even playing the same game? I cannot even play on Crossroads or Mountain Peak without friendly UI markers enabled.

942 289

tbh i use team markers and team colors off