Mordhau

How do you beat super-fast weapons?

42 26
  • 28 Jul
 Aodlop

This video helped me a lot to figure out how to beat gay (not meant in an homophobic way) rapier users: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHaCreJXOto

But I still get fucked by people with daggers, short swords, cleavers, and all those weapons with short bursts of damage. I can't manage to parry them, and even ripostes seem to slow and hti later than their second hit. I tend to get raped by those.

How do you guys defend against those? I mostly play Zweihander and Billhook.

Knight 7574 13873
  • 28 Jul
 ToLazy4Name

You need to get good enough to actually react to their attacks and parry them. If they're spamming through your riposte, then you should accel your riposte as hard as you can, you'll hit them first. If they're using a rapier or stab spamming in general, you can also counter with chambers if you're afraid of them feinting an attack.

Knight 554 1905
  • 28 Jul
 LuxCandidus

Accelerate your attacks by moving your mouse in the direction of your attack. When you accelerate a riposte in particular, you should have enough speed to beat mindless rapier spam or anything similar.

42 26
  • 28 Jul
 Aodlop

I see, thanks.
I usually don't like to balance complain in games, and I know my place as a noob that still has much to learn, but do you guys think the whole rapier/shield thing is here to stay? I don't mind dying to better players, but this feels wrong and very frustrating.

Knight 554 1905
  • 28 Jul
 LuxCandidus

Shields will be reworked, maybe not in the next patch, but they are definitely not going to stay as they are. The rapier probably will remain the same, although I would not mind seeing it nerfed. It is balanced on the competitive level, but on a casual level one cannot deny it is way too fast for newcomers to deal with, and it does not sacrifice damage to have that speed.

Knight 40 51
  • 28 Jul
 Josh

You'll have more time to react to their strikes if you backpedal away from them, moving to the opposite side from where their stabs are coming from can also help. So if a stab is coming from their right-hand side, backpedal to your own right-hand side to maximize the time you have to react to it. Leaning back also gives you slightly more time against short weapons aimed above the waist.

As long as you have a two-handed weapon then you'll win out against one-handed spammers unless you chamber a lot more than they do (chambers cost 15 stamina regardless of what weapon each player has, whereas parrying a dagger stab with a zweihander costs 3 stamina and parrying a zweihander slash with a dagger costs 14 stamina. Morphing also costs an extra 7, so if they keep blocking chamber morphs then you'll be in trouble). In theory this means you can just focus on surviving, but in practice it means the opponent will keep trying riskier things as their stamina goes down and they're forced to end the fight quickly, so prepare for surprises after a few parries.

Another thing to think about is whether you actually need to directly engage these people at all, can you just walk back to your teammates? Obviously having teammates around is generally an advantage, but against shorter weapons it's even more pronounced. If the person with a short weapon attacks, then you can be reasonably certain who they're going to hit and when, so you can attack them during this time, but a longer weapon has a larger space over which it can target switch, as well as being able to slash a wider radius.

Knight 917 2521
  • 28 Jul
 Pred

@ToLazy4Name said:
You need to get good enough to actually react to their attacks and parry them. If they're spamming through your riposte, then you should accel your riposte as hard as you can, you'll hit them first.

But if they parry your super hard accel, you will get fucked by their riposte.

500 ms should be minimal windup in this game, everything faster is just lazy design.

Knight 7574 13873
  • 28 Jul
 ToLazy4Name

@Pred said:

@ToLazy4Name said:
You need to get good enough to actually react to their attacks and parry them. If they're spamming through your riposte, then you should accel your riposte as hard as you can, you'll hit them first.

500 ms should be minimal windup in this game, everything faster is just lazy design.

That's why I said "if they're spamming through your riposte"

95 81
  • 28 Jul
 HalldeiMaul

Its all bullshit as basically your chamber will get shieldblocked, then their shield lowering is faster than a kick, AND the kick recovery is slower than the rapier thrust, so all you've just done is handed THEM a free shot on what should have been the entire counter-shield / rapier mechanic to begin with.
And if you disagree, then let's simply add the problem of a basically undetectable / no-tell possible feint window on top of this.

Whatever counter-argument the "nothing is wrong" people have, all I can say is the real ingame experience with people above rank 50 using this shit boils down to - you die regardless of forum flexing of how counterable everything is, period.
While this is the case, the game remains unbalanced AF.
I currently have exactly zero hope anymore for any fixes on any of the issues that have been now known for 8+ weeks, simply because nobody seems to give a flying fuck in general about the game, griefing and broken stuff anymore anyhow.

I've stopped playing until I see some actual change not just in a patch, but in overall attitude in terms of problem awareness. Not caring about pretty much everything that ruins actual game fun does pretty much exactly that - ruin the fun of playing and thus the point of playing.
Which is grossly depressing to me, as I love the generally functioning core underneath all the crap and I would love to add some more triple digit hours played, but nobody seems to want to uncover it.

Knight 917 2521
  • 28 Jul
 Pred

@ToLazy4Name said:

@Pred said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

They can still ftp and riposte you while you are looking into the ground or who knows where.

Fighting the good players in alpha when they used these weapons pretty much boiled down to only being able to do a regular or dragged riposte, absolutely shit gameplay. And this was before Cleaver and Dagger could 3-shot T3 torso lmao.

Knight 917 2521
  • 28 Jul
 Pred

@HalldeiMaul said:
I currently have exactly zero hope anymore for any fixes on any of the issues that have been now known for 8+ weeks

Most of these problems are known since at least mid-2018 tbh.

Knight 7574 13873
  • 28 Jul
 ToLazy4Name

@Pred said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

@Pred said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

They can still ftp and riposte you while you are looking into the ground or who knows where.

"spamming through your riposte"

Knight 917 2521
  • 28 Jul
 Pred

@ToLazy4Name said:

@Pred said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

@Pred said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

"spamming through your riposte"

Did we get a patch which makes it impossible to ftp when gambling against a riposte?

Knight 7574 13873
  • 28 Jul
 ToLazy4Name

I don't know what you don't understand about the word "through" but apparently this conversation is pointless

Knight 917 2521
  • 28 Jul
 Pred

@ToLazy4Name said:
I don't know what you don't understand about the word "through" but apparently this conversation is pointless

Player X ripostes
Player Y gambles into his riposte

Is that what you mean by spamming through?

Knight 7574 13873
  • 28 Jul
 ToLazy4Name

through as in through as in completely through as in the whole way through as in through something that something being a riposte and through the riposte through it as in completely through it as in not someone intelligently spamming attacks and then reacting but someone just blindly spamming attacks through the riposte through the RIPOSTE THROUGH THE RIPOSTE THROUGH THE RIPOSTE THROUGH THE RIPOSTE

1757 1412
  • 28 Jul
 Rergato

He’s saying if the player isn’t even trying to be defensive and keeps on spamming, accelerate your riposte

Knight 917 2521
  • 28 Jul
 Pred

@ToLazy4Name said:
through as in through as in completely through as in the whole way through as in through something that something being a riposte and through the riposte through it as in completely through it as in not someone intelligently spamming attacks and then reacting but someone just blindly spamming attacks through the riposte through the RIPOSTE THROUGH THE RIPOSTE THROUGH THE RIPOSTE THROUGH THE RIPOSTE

To which I replied that if he's spamming through riposte because he knows it's a good gamble to take and is not a retard with no parry bind, he can just FTP your accelerated riposte. Now, by the rules of Mordhau combat, he's allowed a riposte himself. With a super fast weapon (as the title suggests). While you are in a compromised position looking away from him because of the accel. Which makes it a meh counter at best and further proves that super fast weapons make for retarded fights.

307 239
  • 28 Jul
 LoPan

You learn said weapons animations and work on your reaction time. I don’t have a problem reading any weapons.

Knight 7574 13873
  • 28 Jul
 ToLazy4Name

@Pred said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

To which I replied that if he's spamming through riposte because he knows it's a good gamble to take and is not a retard with no parry bind, he can just FTP your accelerated riposte. Now, by the rules of Mordhau combat, he's allowed a riposte himself. With a super fast weapon (as the title suggests). While you are in a compromised position looking away from him because of the accel. Which makes it a meh counter at best and further proves that super fast weapons make for retarded fights.

oh my fucking god why did I bother responding