Mordhau

I'm a bit lost

9 7
  • 28 Jul
 jakkre

Hi,
I play this game for like a week now and it gets more and more frustrating.
I usually queue for the frontline mode and it feels like 95% of the ppl that I face are hardcore players. Is there no matchmaking rating in this game so newbs like me are placed together with other newbs?
What mode is the best to actually learn the game?

There are some things that I don't understand:
When I'm riding a horse and I have a speer equiped (the one with high reach for 10 points) then I still lose almost every 1v1 fight against other horseman. I hold down my speer using the F key but when I have a frontal collision with a other rider then I'm usually the one who dies. What factors determine the winner of such a 1v1 horseman fight?

Whats the best method to control the swing direction of your weapon?
Do you hold down the left mouse button and move it in the direction you want to swing? It seems quite difficult to get the right timing for a double hit with that method.
Or do you just click the left mouse button (w/o holding it down) and controll your swing direction in a other way?
How are the "pros" doing it?

When I'm playing a crossbowman I have this fat Pavise Shield on my back. Now, when I'm running away from a melee opponent he is still able to one or two shot me by hitting at my back. How is that possible? The Pavise Shield doesn't protect the back of the player?
Once I saw a guy who had that shield on the back and a dagger in his hand and he was pwning everyone in melee. He was turning his back to the opponents so the shield blocked all the hits, then he quickly turned 180° to hit once with his dagger.
He was spinning around like a ballerina and killed plenty of players like that.
If that method works then why doesn't everyone use a Pavise Shield on the back? I mean, it only costs 1 point.

Knight 223 514
  • 28 Jul
 Duckalot

Next patch will bring ranked matchmaking(1v1,3v3), it will help ease players into the game and seperate people by skill.

Horses are glitchy right now and its mainly luck that decides who's gonna win a joust. Will also be fixed next patch.

"Pros" use keybinds mainly. They have each angle bound to seperate keys. If you dont want to do that however, using the 240 angling system(default system), you can select the option 'Angle attack after press' if you want to click-and-drag your attack. Default is to move your mouse in the desired direction, and then press LMB to 'activate' the attack.

Shields worn on your back only protect against projectiles. Melee attacks will pass right through, dealing maximum dmg.

Knight 567 1922
  • 28 Jul
 LuxCandidus

Hello. Currently there is no MMR, you are merely placed on the lowest ping server available. Frontline is terrible for learning the game as it is full of randomness and chaotic elements such as horses and siege weapons. Play on duel servers in order to learn the mechanics and improve.

For controlling your strikes, competitive players do not use the 240° system at all. Instead they bind a horizontal attack, overhead attack, and underhand attack to whatever mouse buttons are comfortable, and use a modifier that, when held, flips the attack's side (ALT key by default). My recommendation is binding a right horizontal attack to LMB, a right overhead to scroll-down, and a right underhand to one of the mouse's side buttons. You might also want to change the key for flipping your attack direction, as ALT is not very comfortable to use. V is a good key to use.

Shields that are on your back only block projectiles such as arrows and thrown weapons. They do not block melee attacks.

Knight 223 514
  • 28 Jul
 Duckalot

@LuxCandidus said:
Hello. Currently there is no MMR, you are merely placed on the lowest ping server available. Frontline is terrible for learning the game as it is full of randomness and chaotic elements such as horses and siege weapons. Play on duel servers in order to learn the mechanics and improve.

For controlling your strikes, competitive players do not use the 240° system at all. Instead they bind a horizontal attack, overhead attack, and underhand attack to whatever mouse buttons are comfortable, and use a modifier that, when held, flips the attack's side (ALT key by default). My recommendation is binding a right horizontal attack to LMB, a right overhead to scroll-down, and a right underhand to one of the mouse's side buttons. You might also want to change the key for flipping your attack direction, as ALT is not very comfortable to use. V is a good key to use.

Shields that are on your back only block projectiles such as arrows and thrown weapons. They do not block melee attacks.

2fast4you

Knight 567 1922

Never trust a duck.

EDIT: This is the input I had for my 500th comment.

9 7
  • 28 Jul
 jakkre

Thanks! That was very helpful.

Next patch will bring ranked matchmaking(1v1,3v3), it will help ease players into the game and seperate people by skill.

Will that MMR also be applied to the frontline mode?

Horses are glitchy right now and its mainly luck that decides who's gonna win a joust. Will also be fixed next patch.

In case of the 1v1 horseman fight, does it matter how the speer/lance is hold? I assume it has to be hold quite high so it's pointing at the opponents chest or head and not on his horse.

Knight 567 1922
  • 28 Jul
 LuxCandidus

@jakkre said:
Will that MMR also be applied to the frontline mode?

As far as I know, yes.

In case of the 1v1 horseman fight, does it matter how the speer/lance is hold? I assume it has to be hold quite high so it's pointing at the opponents chest or head and not on his horse.

Yes, you need to aim it precisely.

67 92
  • 28 Jul
 SoRoofless

Usually the faster horse will win a horse duel. There are different levels of horse armor that determine the speed of the horse, so try to find one with no armor if you’re going to be jousting.

Next, you want to maximize the reach of your weapon. You are holding the spear in your right hand, so make sure you’re to the left of your opponent when you attack.

Finally, pay attention to your reticle and aim it accurately at your target.

954 302

i use e as my flip button and Down arrow for picking things up