Mordhau

The spear, rapier and similar strong stab weapons

6 6
  • 24 Jul
 Pesqez

I am a noob who just started. With a melee weapon or blade a typically reach 3-17 KD in frontline. With the spear or rapier it’s the other way around and I end up first or top three. I think the spear and similar strong stab weapons should have a «stamina» that make them easily brake if struck or parried.

I’m sure I wouldn’t have any success with the stab weapons in a duel type match, just wanted to let you know these weapons are OP in frontline.

106 125

Those weapons seem "OP" in the hands of a new player because stabs look more difficult to read than swings. The reason you're doing well with them in Front-line is because similarly new/bad players don't take advantage of just how easily countered stabs actually are. They're very easy to dodge or chamber.

Once you reach a certain point I can guarantee you'll be saying the exact same opposite. Farming people in Front-line is a lot easier with big, swing-focused weapons that kill enemies in 1-2 hits. Stab-focused weaponry on the other hand struggles in 1vX.

6 6
  • 24 Jul
 Pesqez

Even so, frontline seem to be the main mode for this game, and with the spear and rapier I own. It makes me feel like a cheat and it didn’t help reading the chat. People hated on ppl using these weapons cause they do so «well».
I still feel these weapons need some kind of nerf.

Knight 7577 13875
  • 24 Jul
 ToLazy4Name

Okay what kind of nerf lmao

6 6
  • 24 Jul
 Pesqez

Lower damage and/or make them breakable. Just a suggestion.

66 91
  • 24 Jul
 SoRoofless

I don’t know about nerfing these weapons. but to you as a new player, I’d advise eventually dropping the spear for a halberd, dropping the rapier for a bastard sword and incorporating swings into your fights. It’s a good transition from just stabbing to the rest of the combat system

Knight 7577 13875
  • 24 Jul
 ToLazy4Name

@Pesqez said:
Lower damage and/or make them breakable. Just a suggestion.

Breakable? What lmao

Look, stab weapons are initially difficult to read and that is the extent of their usefulness. The attacks have poor drags, linear attacks that make 1vX difficult and can be chambered without having to match the angle. They have a slight spike in effectiveness relative to their competition at really high levels, but for the most part they are only good against noobs. Spear is the only one that is actually decent and it is confirmed to be getting nerfed.

129 141

Indeed, the Rapier is working as intended. It can take the most meagre amount of skill and amplify it into a useable front line weapon because the flurry of stabs wins constant initiative if they land so you can just spam the same attack and focus on footwork. The good news is this type of player can be dealt with quite easily with practice. The spear is a 10 point weapon so it makes sense that its strong. It was traditionally easy to use so it makes sense that its... easy to use. The alt grip is a bit nutty though.

Basically Frontline has so much chaos you can run around dong sub-optimal shit like spamming Rapier/Spear stabs and do quite well. You will get dismantled in a duel when your opponent has enough time to focus on you so try to pick up some other weapons and forget about the scoreboard while you learn. Topping FL is like winning the Special Olympics, you're just beating on mongos, so better to focus on learning how to use any given weapon which is more fun and effective long term.

6 6
  • 26 Jul
 Jester_Day

To be fair, spears should also be very good when supporting another by making stabs in the opening of shieldwalls and the like. I find myself quite useful, even if I am a new player, helping out in fights by adding a spearthrust or a few to a scrap with 3-4 people a side.

6 2

Stabs should have stop on hit. Fight me.

243 139

spears seem "OP" because of the basic way they function, especially if a group of people use them at the same time.
a long shaft with a pointy end to keep yourself out of danger and being able to inflict harm on your opponent.
real life medieval warfare, most of the time, came down to which side had the longest, and largest number of spears.

the late medieval period, before the invention of gun powder, got to the point where spears in general were so ridiculously long, that opposing sides essentially stood 20-30 feet apart, as their spears eventually became thrice the length of their own body height.

942 292

tbh stabs shouldent be able to drag

Knight 2229 4004
  • 5 Aug
 Runagate

@Pickupsticks said:
Stabs should have stop on hit. Fight me.

This would allow you to morph every attack after a stab without the need to wait through recovery. It would also make stab combos faster. Do you want every weapon to be like the battle axe?

@Antoniokontos said:

ca075912e8cf9a072ed631282c702fcd.jpeg

Knight 7577 13875

@Antoniokontos said:

Then no one would use stabs as you wouldn't be able to hit anything with them.

291 116

Maybe make some stabbing weapons unable to do 180 drags then. That would be a nice start. Limit it to 120° or 90°?
Also, nice to read, I had similar experience with rapier and short spear + heater shield + dodge when I was rather new because I played a boxer with dodge.
Anyway, I think this game is poorly balanced to say the least. I've never felt such a strong urge to spam the suggestions forum of any game before. Bloodlust is a huge problem for me to handle, the other perks seem fine and balanced.

717 588

stabs are fine, it's when it's paired with a shield w/ a skilled user who can counter kicks it gets pretty dumb, but shields are being reworked anyway

bloodlust should cost more points though

Duke 5473 13074
  • 5 Aug
 Jax — Community Manager

rapier loses initiative if you rmb+lmb, a riposte from a maul will beat a rapier stab from the neutral. That being said, rapier gambles (attacking out of turn) can be a little annoying, but once you realize someone is gambling hard accels and less feints/morphs/drags will shut them down quickly.

Rapier may get some changes in the future (less about nerfs, more about a rework) but atm it's only really viable against people that have no understanding of timing.

243 139

Bloodlust should be downright removed from the game, its the cheapest mechanic in the game.
not reduced by 50% or even 75%, no, REMOVED.

1059 1697

@Jax said:
rapier loses initiative if you rmb+lmb, a riposte from a maul will beat a rapier stab from the neutral. That being said, rapier gambles (attacking out of turn) can be a little annoying, but once you realize someone is gambling hard accels and less feints/morphs/drags will shut them down quickly.

Rapier may get some changes in the future (less about nerfs, more about a rework) but atm it's only really viable against people that have no understanding of timing.

Or against anyone distracted by multiple opponents in frontline or to people with even minor latency or to anyone who tries to chamber it with something larger.

Rapier really does need a total rework.

62 29
  • 5 Aug
 Crumly

Does no one realize the OP is fucking lying