Mordhau

Upgraded GPU + added extra monitor, getting lag

19 43

Yesterday i upgraded from a gtx 1060 to a gtx 1660 ti, and i also bought a second monitor.

On my gtx 1060 with 1 monitor i had no lag at all, but with 1660 ti and 2 monitors im getting occasional noticable drops in fps. Not just in Mordhau but in other games as well im getting a bit lag. I have not changed any settings.

Now this is not only Mordhau related but a more general hardware question, has anyone experienced the same?
On the second monitor im only running chrome with the forum up.
I expected the extra monitor to have some small impact, but considering the gpu is quite better than my previous one it seems strange it should have this big impact.

Does a second monitor really lower fps that much or could something else be wrong?

13 2

@Eld of Norway said:
Yesterday i upgraded from a gtx 1060 to a gtx 1660 ti, and i also bought a second monitor.

On my gtx 1060 with 1 monitor i had no lag at all, but with 1660 ti and 2 monitors im getting occasional noticable drops in fps. Not just in Mordhau but in other games as well im getting a bit lag. I have not changed any settings.

Now this is not only Mordhau related but a more general hardware question, has anyone experienced the same?
I expected the extra monitor to have some small impact, but considering the gpu is quite better than my previous one it seems strange it should have this big impact.

Does a second monitor really lower fps that much or could something else be wrong?

this is a common issue even for much more beefy gpu's.... if its unplayable, just unplug it...
i can run mordhau on 240fps most of the times, i do lose frames when its getting crowded, if i unplug my second monitor i won't drop from 240 doesn't matter what, GTX 1080 here..

19 43

@TheForceGORILLA said:

@Eld of Norway said:

this is a common issue even for much more beefy gpu's.... if its unplayable, just unplug it...
i can run mordhau on 240fps most of the times, i do lose frames when its getting crowded, if i unplug my second monitor i won't drop from 240 doesn't matter what, GTX 1080 here..

Alright, thanks, i didnt think it would be that taxing on the gpu. After lowering some settings i luckily seems to have gotten it stable at 90-110 fps now without the sudden drops. As for unplugging the monitor, do you actually have to unplug? Isnt turning it off enough or does the gpu somehow still take it into account?

Guess ill go for a highier tier card next time.. btw, does the refresh rate on the second monitor have any impact at all on the fps on main monitor?

13 2

@Eld of Norway said:

@TheForceGORILLA said:

@Eld of Norway said:

Alright, thanks, i didnt think it would be that taxing on the gpu. After lowering some settings i luckily seems to have gotten it stable at 90-110 fps now without the sudden drops. As for unplugging the monitor, do you actually have to unplug? Isnt turning it off enough or does the gpu somehow still take it into account?

Guess ill go for a highier tier card next time.. btw, does the refresh rate on the second monitor have any impact at all on the fps on main monitor?

my main monitor is 240hz, and i try to run all games on 240 by default.
and no just turning the monitor off doesn't do anything, the gpu still sends whatever there is, aka extended desktop if you move your mouse to the turned off monitor it will still go there and you will be able to click on shit just wont see it.

yes there is impact on everything, the monitor will try to use whatever hz it has, 144, 165, 200, etc, you can lower the hz in the NVIDIA driver settings, idk about amd

19 43

@TheForceGORILLA said:

@Eld of Norway said:

@TheForceGORILLA said:

@Eld of Norway said:

and no just turning the monitor off doesn't do anything, the gpu still sends whatever there is, aka extended desktop if you move your mouse to the turned off monitor it will still go there and you will be able to click on shit just wont see it.

yes there is impact on everything, the monitor will try to use whatever hz it has, 144, 165, 200, etc, you can lower the hz in the NVIDIA driver settings, idk about amd

Actually i found out you can disable the second monitor using the NVIDIA control panel on the 'set up multiple displays' setting by just unchecking it there, which appears to basically do the same as unplugging it :). What hz do you run on ur second monitor?

13 2

@Eld of Norway said:

@TheForceGORILLA said:

@Eld of Norway said:

@TheForceGORILLA said:

@Eld of Norway said:

Actually i found out you can disable the second monitor using the NVIDIA control panel on the 'set up multiple displays' setting by just unchecking it there, which appears to basically do the same as unplugging it :). What hz do you run on ur second monitor?

all my other 3 monitors are 60hz lol