Mordhau

Mordhau Development Update - July

604 475
  • 18 Aug
 esturias

@TheDrunkCat said:
Instead of blaming developers and updates for losing the player base , maybe think of the real “problem”. People are leaving because they simply don’t like the game , they can’t play it they’re not good at it , they keep dying by old chivalry try hards so they give up.

A game doesn't lose >90% of its initial playerbase because some people don't like the game in general or because they find it too hard.
The developers ARE to blame. And nobody but them. They released a completely unfinished game, decided for the worst way to continue development and made many obvious and dumb mistakes.

Besides that, you are blaming the devs, too. After all, a lack of newbie-friendly servers or better tutorials is their mistake.

291 116

Well, how long would it take for you to host your own server? 1 day?

83 51
  • 18 Aug
 Budd

@TheDrunkCat said:

@CarnifeX said:

@TheDrunkCat said:
Instead of blaming developers and updates for losing the player base , maybe think of the real “problem”. People are leaving because they simply don’t like the game , they can’t play it they’re not good at it , they keep dying by old chivalry try hards so they give up.
I don’t even know how many times I saw ppl complain about game being “hard” and saying “waste of money”
Maybe create noob friendly servers where only -20 lvls player can get in ?

its a good idea, but your overall opinion about the situation is just zZz or better: bullshit

And instead of typing bullshit like your comment when you have no idea about these type of games since you probably discovered this game this year , you should go check negative reviews on steam , every two reviews are people complaining about getting pwned by try hards bcs there is no level based matching , and other comments are people saying the gameplay is repetitive

People are leaving because theres a heavy lack of content, the games just not balanced and the community is a toxic mess.

I mean at launch literally no one knew what everyone was doing expect for a select few alpha players.
The decline of this game couldn't been Chiv Tryhards because those people at launch would have progressed at the same rate as everyone else.
Like yeah its really annoying to die to a lvl. 100+ using a spear but theres nothing you can do, whatever.

11 12

ehh Idk about that man. They've mentioned server issues and their attempts to work on them several times. I personally do not have any ping/server issues at all, outside of playing in a region thats far far away from where Im located, which is how ping works on any single game.

1339 1398

@esturias said:
A game doesn't lose >90% of its initial playerbase because some people don't like the game in general or because they find it too hard.
The developers ARE to blame. And nobody but them. They released a completely unfinished game, decided for the worst way to continue development and made many obvious and dumb mistakes.

Besides that, you are blaming the devs, too. After all, a lack of newbie-friendly servers or better tutorials is their mistake.

The state of the game was visible. If people get disappointed because the game is "unfinished" then they didn't take the adequate time to check the game out before the purchase.

942 292

i bought it cause it looked fun its fine as a game but just small issues in my opinion need fixing

36 24

hey brethren,
sorry to bug again, but could we get another word?

Seemingly there were some fake info/screenshots floating around...
and I,for one, would like to quit pathetically refreshing my steam....which I have been doing for the last 48 hours...

best,
MoMo

Duke 5473 13074
  • 18 Aug
 Jax — Community Manager

At the moment we're doing heavy bugfixing for ranked and a lot of the new tweaks that are incoming.
The way it's looking is that we're most likely going to drop an update with ranked, gameplay/general improvements and quality of life features first (also probably a bit of a rebalance to xroads), and then release another update relatively soon afterwards with the new maps and anything we didn't get sorted for the first one.

Our reasoning for potentially doing it this way is that there's no good reason to hold up Ranked and general improvements for the maps. As for the maps, there's been more of the same, a lot of optimization work and now we're also setting up gameplay logic (like frontline objectives, spawn points for game modes, different playable areas for each, I'm pretty sure Horde/BR setup as well). A point to note is that Feitoria needs a lot of work for optimization, since it's such a big and visually dense map with interiors and stuff - that's not to say the map will run badly, but that it needs a lot of optimization work so it doesn't run badly. This optimization work is time consuming, but it can't really be 'sped up' by throwing the whole art team at the problem; it just takes time.

As for the SDK and Invasion, these are long term goals we want to start working on ASAP. We're focusing on the short-term stuff (maps and ranked, etc.) because we realize there is a lack of content currently, and we want to fix that before starting work on the big things that will take up the bulk of our manpower. Mod tools will be awesome as they let the community make the content they want, but if it takes us a few months or more to get an SDK working it doesn't make sense to drop everything else and work on that, while the base game is sorely lacking in content. Invasion is something that is currently in the 'on-paper' design phase, and while it will be a big task to make, it shouldn't take forever, as we're most likely using existing maps for it.

1 0
  • 18 Aug
 Krokous

@T-PosingKermit said:
Finally, reason for a votekick. Been waiting ages for this to happen. No more vote kick abuse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

True. To battle griefing i suggest Builder names on Enginer items to be visible for team.

1287 3791

@Jax said:
At the moment we're doing heavy bugfixing for ranked and a lot of the new tweaks that are incoming.
The way it's looking is that we're most likely going to drop an update with ranked, gameplay/general improvements and quality of life features first (also probably a bit of a rebalance to xroads), and then release another update relatively soon afterwards with the new maps and anything we didn't get sorted for the first one.

Our reasoning for potentially doing it this way is that there's no good reason to hold up Ranked and general improvements for the maps. As for the maps, there's been more of the same, a lot of optimization work and now we're also setting up gameplay logic (like frontline objectives, spawn points for game modes, different playable areas for each, I'm pretty sure Horde/BR setup as well). A point to note is that Feitoria needs a lot of work for optimization, since it's such a big and visually dense map with interiors and stuff - that's not to say the map will run badly, but that it needs a lot of optimization work so it doesn't run badly. This optimization work is time consuming, but it can't really be 'sped up' by throwing the whole art team at the problem; it just takes time.

As for the SDK and Invasion, these are long term goals we want to start working on ASAP. We're focusing on the short-term stuff (maps and ranked, etc.) because we realize there is a lack of content currently, and we want to fix that before starting work on the big things that will take up the bulk of our manpower. Mod tools will be awesome as they let the community make the content they want, but if it takes us a few months or more to get an SDK working it doesn't make sense to drop everything else and work on that, while the base game is sorely lacking in content. Invasion is something that is currently in the 'on-paper' design phase, and while it will be a big task to make, it shouldn't take forever, as we're most likely using existing maps for it.

your doing good Jax (motivational quote here)

83 51
  • 18 Aug
 Budd

@Jax said:
At the moment we're doing heavy bugfixing for ranked and a lot of the new tweaks that are incoming.
The way it's looking is that we're most likely going to drop an update with ranked, gameplay/general improvements and quality of life features first (also probably a bit of a rebalance to xroads), and then release another update relatively soon afterwards with the new maps and anything we didn't get sorted for the first one.

Our reasoning for potentially doing it this way is that there's no good reason to hold up Ranked and general improvements for the maps. As for the maps, there's been more of the same, a lot of optimization work and now we're also setting up gameplay logic (like frontline objectives, spawn points for game modes, different playable areas for each, I'm pretty sure Horde/BR setup as well). A point to note is that Feitoria needs a lot of work for optimization, since it's such a big and visually dense map with interiors and stuff - that's not to say the map will run badly, but that it needs a lot of optimization work so it doesn't run badly. This optimization work is time consuming, but it can't really be 'sped up' by throwing the whole art team at the problem; it just takes time.

As for the SDK and Invasion, these are long term goals we want to start working on ASAP. We're focusing on the short-term stuff (maps and ranked, etc.) because we realize there is a lack of content currently, and we want to fix that before starting work on the big things that will take up the bulk of our manpower. Mod tools will be awesome as they let the community make the content they want, but if it takes us a few months or more to get an SDK working it doesn't make sense to drop everything else and work on that, while the base game is sorely lacking in content. Invasion is something that is currently in the 'on-paper' design phase, and while it will be a big task to make, it shouldn't take forever, as we're most likely using existing maps for it.

As much as I want to hate you I can see that you're given a limited amount of information

1339 1398

That's a lot of talk about what you are planning to do, but little about what you did in the past month. It would be easier to relate to you when you'd just say what's holding you back, e.g.

  • "after the crunch before and after release the team needed a break for recreation. most of the team were on vacation for 2 weeks"
  • "support for custom maps kept us quite busy. but in the end it was worth it. you can see the results here (link to custom map thread)"
  • "due to very high demand we spent some time researching how to best implement a very popular bear in the game without breaking the basic gameplay"
  • "we noticed a bug on some maps that decreased performance and spend a lot of time reproducing and fixing it. frame rates should be more stable in future builds"

You could even describe the bugs and maybe someone in the community knows a good fix or short-term workaround by chance. The saddest part about Mordhau is that you have a quite devoted community that wants to help and get involved in some way but (feels like it) can't. You don't have to compete with Warframe in that regard, but you can use it as an inspiration.

That said: Thank you for the update.

101 47
  • 18 Aug
 CarnifeX

@esturias said:

@TheDrunkCat said:
Instead of blaming developers and updates for losing the player base , maybe think of the real “problem”. People are leaving because they simply don’t like the game , they can’t play it they’re not good at it , they keep dying by old chivalry try hards so they give up.

A game doesn't lose >90% of its initial playerbase because some people don't like the game in general or because they find it too hard.
The developers ARE to blame. And nobody but them. They released a completely unfinished game, decided for the worst way to continue development and made many obvious and dumb mistakes.

Besides that, you are blaming the devs, too. After all, a lack of newbie-friendly servers or better tutorials is their mistake.

I couldnt have answered better than this.
esturias - we both often think the same about many Aspects/Problems of the Game,
as i already noticed in the InGame Chat earlier these Days
greetings my lord ^^

Duchess 774 3448
  • 19 Aug
 Stouty

No idea if it's even possible to prioritise one over the other but SDK > Invasion

SDK will allow for TO style modes and much much more

King 2414 3379

But can we put the new maps and modes on hold till we get the proper cirtical fixes first? Atleast so the game is playable before chivalry 2 comes out

22 45
  • 19 Aug
 Doogla

@King Sinclair The FluffyDragon said:
But can we put the new maps and modes on hold till we get the proper cirtical fixes first? Atleast so the game is playable before chivalry 2 comes out

never ever ever put content on hold. that's how you kill a game

1339 1398

As evidenced by ...?

King 2414 3379

@SWSeriousMike said:
As evidenced by ...?

Chivalry 1

Knight 933 941
  • 19 Aug
 afiNity

Chivalry didn't die cause of a lack of content. It died because the devs didn't know how to balance the game and fix the bugs.

King 2414 3379

@afiNity said:
Chivalry didn't die cause of a lack of content. It died because the devs didn't know how to balance the game and fix the bugs.

Exactly, lets not repeat the same mistake here with mord