Mordhau

Private server matchmaking - Thoughts?

534 286
  • 17 Jul
 Gambit

Basic premise is a website or downloadable launcher that people can queue for games of a certain type. You could view current queues or create a queue under specific filters e.g. 6 player TDM Contraband, 16 player SK, 40 player FL, caveman raid

Ive been thinking about this for a while and if it would be worth making. I wouldn't expect the devs to make this, but I might make it my next project.

Once a queue has reached the amount of players needed, it would find a suitable empty server and notify everyone with the connection details, or ideally give them a steam intent button to instantly open the server.

I don't expect it to be an instant matchmaking experience like the official one, but if it was running in the background while you grind some frontline then it could build up over 5 mins and find you the ideal match.

The problem with no servers being filled for modes like TDM and Skirmish at the moment is due to them needing one or two people to just join and wait before other people do. Matchmaking would solve this and hopefully bring people to private servers and other game modes more. Frontline, while very good, is taking up the majority of the player base and it would be great to see the other modes get attention.

What do you think?

I have a signature

Knight 54 67
  • 31 Jul
 Josh

It would be excellent if this were done, the first thing it makes me think of is the possibility for people play competitive team matches more often. Currently, higher level players have to arrange matches between themselves manually if they want more even fights in team modes, whereas a separate program could at least set up some random teams once enough players confirm they're ready to play.

I'm guessing the very simplest implementation would be to have a queue on some website/Discord etc. and when it's full, give each player a console command to paste into Mordhau which joins a server (and give them a password or have the server whitelist the chosen users if possible?)

Unfortunately we don't know how much will be superseded by the upcoming matchmaking plans. But if that's just focused on public ranking for specific game modes, then a separate program would be great for queuing scrims, community events/leagues and custom game modes (maybe it's even best to compete against that matchmaking system to see which one people prefer in the end!)

534 286
  • 1 Aug
 Gambit

@Josh said:
It would be excellent if this were done, the first thing it makes me think of is the possibility for people play competitive team matches more often. Currently, higher level players have to arrange matches between themselves manually if they want more even fights in team modes, whereas a separate program could at least set up some random teams once enough players confirm they're ready to play.

I'm guessing the very simplest implementation would be to have a queue on some website/Discord etc. and when it's full, give each player a console command to paste into Mordhau which joins a server (and give them a password or have the server whitelist the chosen users if possible?)

Unfortunately we don't know how much will be superseded by the upcoming matchmaking plans. But if that's just focused on public ranking for specific game modes, then a separate program would be great for queuing scrims, community events/leagues and custom game modes (maybe it's even best to compete against that matchmaking system to see which one people prefer in the end!)

Cheers for the reply. I have a feeling the devs aren't interested in matchmaking for private servers even if they did have the time. Its more of a community task anyway. The competitive aspect definitely makes sense, but it would be hard to implement without APIs as I can't gaurentee people's skill levels or anything.
With the recent effort from the community in custom maps I think this idea is even more feasible as automatic downloading of these maps could be very useful.
I would opt for a website but people like downloadable launchers so having both would be ideal. Discord bots could be built if the demand was there too.