Mordhau

LOVE THIS GAME BUT can we please nerf cavalry?

2 2
  • 15 Jul
 BeniK

I LOVE this game! I think its great that we have choice and variety to play this game, but cavalry are a serious pain and ruin games. Its ridiculous that they can ride around indefinitely and plow through huge groups of people without faltering or slowing down. Not only that they can ride up and down terrain that they shouldn't be able to and even jump off high ledges without any consequences. The flinch mechanic pretty much stops 90% of my strikes that look dead on even after I've completed the jab animation. Its SUPER frustrating to be constantly harassed and killed from behind. The billhook does not really help because of the flinch mechanic.

I have some ideas that could be implemented. I don't think we should apply all of them but some would be nice

Horses get tired and thus dramatically reduces weapon damage or slows them down
Cavalry weapons going blunt or breaking after X amount of kills
Cavalry takes extra damage or falls off the horse from archer and javelin hits
Make players have to take a "cavalry" perk to be able to even ride
reduce the number of horses available
increase re-spawn timer for horses

I really hope the devs are already having a discussion about cavalry because in their current state they are unbearably broken and cheap.

Thank you so much for making such a great game!!!

743 555
  • 15 Jul
 esturias

We already have countless other threads about this. Look around before starting a new one.

48 18
  • 15 Jul
 Luward

"God, I can't kill a tank with an AK-47. this is unbearably broken and cheap. Tanks are OP. Plz nerf" If you have a problem with cavalry, use the tools at your disposal and use better tactics. Cavalry is where it should be: OP against infantry.

743 555
  • 15 Jul
 esturias

@Luward said:
"God, I can't kill a tank with an AK-47. this is unbearably broken and cheap. Tanks are OP. Plz nerf" If you have a problem with cavalry, use the tools at your disposal and use better tactics. Cavalry is where it should be: OP against infantry.

Since when is "OP against infantry" the place "where it should be"? How is OP in any way desirable?
You really seem to have no clue about gamebalance and that comparison is silly.
Besides that, horses aren't just OP, they are balancebreaking.

Empress 365 859
  • 15 Jul
 Soulcatcher

tfw cant relate to horse threads cus don't play shitty frontline mode and main superior melee god player hosted duel servers

thats where ur problem begins

954 302

@Luward said:

granted horses in thus game dont die from axes easily wich irl it works well

48 18
  • 15 Jul
 Luward

@Antoniokontos said:

granted horses in thus game dont die from axes easily wich irl it works well

Asking to fix hitboxes and correct damage numbers is not balancing, it's bugfixes.

48 18
  • 15 Jul
 Luward

@esturias said:
Since when is "OP against infantry" the place "where it should be"? How is OP in any way desirable?
You really seem to have no clue about gamebalance and that comparison is silly.
Besides that, horses aren't just OP, they are balancebreaking.

You put on some armor and get run over by a horse. Then tell me exactly why horses shouldn't be balance breaking against infantry. In the mean time, cavalry is going to continue laughing at the absurdity of people asking for horses to get nerfed instead of you trying to figure out a more effective method to deal with them. I am very aware of game balance. Horses and swordmen are not supposed to be balanced. If you are dumb enough to go after a mounted knight with a sword, without the skill to effectively use it against them, then you deserve to get pwn'd. Use a billhook, spear, spikes, stay off open ground, or spend 30 seconds looking at gear and figure out a way to have the advantage against cavalry. Instead of being a lamer, be a gamer.

Knight 7681 14085
  • 15 Jul
 ToLazy4Name

Yes goy just magically figure out how to counter a 1 shot that even if parried will do chip damage, ragdoll you and disarm you and oh yeah it also has the longest range in the game so you can't hit the rider first lol just figure it out man lol

214 178
  • 15 Jul
 Dialectic

For what it's worth, Jax said in a recent stream that yes they are nerfing horses. No timeframe given obviously.

Knight 52 64
  • 15 Jul
 fmay2123

could we get the momentum based damage to go both ways?

190 95

the knock back is still a bit too extreme at least combined with the horses hit stop on your attacks no matter if its 60% thru release or 99%!

that's the main problem I think that would def even up the odds a bit to where it wasn't op to every player unless they have a billhook.

I've spent decades with horses and birthed 2 of them and I can tell you from experience sure they would knock the fk out of you if they ran into you. But

The knock back isn't too far fetched but horses don't have a mythical power that just eliminates the momentum of your swing if you were to swing at them as they ran into you, actually it would do more damage to the horse at that point that's why the calvary is 1 sided at the moment, its just too far fetched that it should stop a fully committed attack that's in release phase if they ran into you.

I'm pretty sure if this was adjusted it would fix a lot of the issues ppl are having and all the cavalry lovers would be fine with that adjustment.

As it is right now cavalry does have the upper hand and in reality it should But right now it is a bit too far on their side.

Nobody has anything to lose by eliminating tad off the knock back or at least making them not hit stop us while attacking them.

cavalry may actually require some skill now and may actually get the respect and balance it deserves.

200 398

horses would be a lot less irritiating if the respawn time wasnt near instant after the horses death. Then once you killed a horse you feel like youve benefited the team instead of delaying the inevitable return of the same person on a different horse

214 178
  • 15 Jul
 Dialectic

It's cavalry, not calvary. Ree.

190 95

@SherbershLemel said:
horses would be a lot less irritiating if the respawn time wasnt near instant after the horses death. Then once you killed a horse you feel like youve benefited the team instead of delaying the inevitable return of the same person on a different horse

the respawn time currently is minutes that's not fast at all,
if the settings in the ini files actually worked admins would be able to set their desired respawn rates on their servers for stuff like that too.

This is why getting the admin tools for moderation and mods is so important,
every ones gripes could be fixed by now with mods or admin edits to the servers.

743 555
  • 15 Jul
 esturias

@Luward said:
I am very aware of game balance.

No. You aren't. You have no single clue about gamebalance, otherwise you wouldn't write such nonsense.

You put on some armor and get run over by a horse. Then tell me exactly why horses shouldn't be balance breaking against infantry.

There is a big difference between "breaking" or "effective" against something and completely balancebreaking.
Besides that, do you really want to use realism as an argument in an unrealistic computergame?

Horses and swordmen are not supposed to be balanced.

It's comments like that which show that you have zero clue what "balance" is.

Instead of being a lamer, be a gamer.

Instead of talking about things you have zero clue off, keep quiet. Especially when you just wrote in a different thread that you are a completely new player.

48 18
  • 15 Jul
 Luward

@ToLazy4Name said:
Yes goy just magically figure out how to counter a 1 shot that even if parried will do chip damage, ragdoll you and disarm you and oh yeah it also has the longest range in the game so you can't hit the rider first lol just figure it out man lol

"How dare you tell me to adapt and overcome! I just want to complain and make everyone like the things I like!"
Like I said, you get run over by a horse and then tell me why cavalry shouldn't have an advantage over infantry.

@THE-REAL-WARSAW said:
The knock back isn't too far fetched but horses don't have a mythical power that just eliminates the momentum of your swing if you were to swing at them as they ran into you, actually it would do more damage to the horse at that point that's why the calvary(sp) is 1 sided at the moment, its just too far fetched that it should stop a fully committed attack that's in release phase if they ran into you.

I'm pretty sure if this was adjusted it would fix a lot of the issues ppl are having and all the cavalry lovers would be fine with that adjustment.

Sounds like there isn't a balancing problem, but a bugfix problem.

48 18
  • 15 Jul
 Luward

@esturias said:
Besides that, do you really want to use realism as an argument in an unrealistic computergame?

Gravity it too realistic. Devs, please get rid of gravity. Now you understand how ridiculously stupid arguing against realism is? The only time you skip realism is if it is not mechanically possible within the game's framework. Also, there is nothing unrealistic in this game that isn't required to be that way for the game mechanics to work, except for everyone thinking that daggers are equivalent to halberds, and infantry should be able to 1v1 cavalry. Like I said, don't be a lamer, be a gamer.

743 555
  • 15 Jul
 esturias

@Luward said:
Like I said, don't be a lamer, be a gamer.

That statement holds zero value as long as you have no clue what you are talking about. Except you want to give those two words a different meaning...

Now you understand how ridiculously stupid arguing against realism is?

Ehh...
Who is arguing against realism? You just used realism in a completely stupid and biased way. When using it on horses, why not on infantry? Surviving multiple damaging hits without any injuries? Healing? And sice we're at it: Health points?

Like I said, you get run over by a horse and then tell me why cavalry shouldn't have an advantage over infantry.

Again: There is a different between "having an advantage over sth" and "being balancebreaking".

Bottomline: You have zero clue about balance. Fact.

84 134
  • 15 Jul
 IllOmens

It would already be a tremendous help if horses didn't have that magical force field around them that staggers you simply by being near them. make it so they only have it when moving at full speed