Mordhau

"'Mordhau' and the Fantasy of an All-White Middle Ages"

20 38
  • 13 Jul
 Gatordile

@SWSeriousMike said:
I bet if someone wrote that article Gordon Ramsay would issue a statement that he doesn't support serial killers and child molesters.

Then you don't know Gordon Ramsay.

Knight 7631 14008
  • 13 Jul
 ToLazy4Name

@CocyxTheGaySkeleton said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

@ToLazy4Name said:
You say "literally every other game studio" but I have never played a game that censors speech in any way or that has (serious) repercussions for "bad" words. You're also providing a false dichotomy here, their options aren't just "censor speech" or "support white supremacy" lmao they can just ignore shit dumb shit like they've been doing and better enforce their already existing rules or any other fucking decision they come to

what games have u played. dota 2, league, csgo, overwatch, tf2, etc all deal out punishments for white supremacy/slur slinging/bigotry

not piece of shit meme games like those lmfao

you seem very in touch with reality

I wasn't aware that "reality" was shitty games, thank you for enlightening me

if ur makin an argument that games don't censor those sort of things but have no idea what the most popular games are like, i mean. are u really that crazy

Why do you literally always jump to incorrect conclusions? You said "literally every other game studio" when it is incorrect that "literally every other game studio" censors speech. That was the point of my comment, not that studios do not ever censor speech. Vermintide, Squad, Red Orchestra/Rising Storm, Mount and Blade, Holdfast, Divinity, Chivalry, blahblahfuckingblah the list goes on of games that do not censor speech or that outright have no rules regarding it.

Knight 7631 14008
  • 13 Jul
 ToLazy4Name

@SWSeriousMike said:
I for one am not convinced that they don't condone white nationalists.

Yes, people who condone white nationalists are often known to include black people and women in their video game that could easily be passed off as a medieval European game. Are you joking with this comment? Do you know nothing about the developers? You've been here long enough that you should.

717 590

@ToLazy4Name said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

@ToLazy4Name said:
You say "literally every other game studio" but I have never played a game that censors speech in any way or that has (serious) repercussions for "bad" words. You're also providing a false dichotomy here, their options aren't just "censor speech" or "support white supremacy" lmao they can just ignore shit dumb shit like they've been doing and better enforce their already existing rules or any other fucking decision they come to

what games have u played. dota 2, league, csgo, overwatch, tf2, etc all deal out punishments for white supremacy/slur slinging/bigotry

not piece of shit meme games like those lmfao

you seem very in touch with reality

I wasn't aware that "reality" was shitty games, thank you for enlightening me

if ur makin an argument that games don't censor those sort of things but have no idea what the most popular games are like, i mean. are u really that crazy

Why do you literally always jump to incorrect conclusions? You said "literally every other game studio" when it is incorrect that "literally every other game studio" censors speech. That was the point of my comment, not that studios do not ever censor speech. Vermintide, Squad, Red Orchestra/Rising Storm, Mount and Blade, Holdfast, Divinity, Chivalry, blahblahfuckingblah the list goes on of games that do not censor speech or that outright have no rules regarding it.

ohhhhhhhh you didn't pick up on the hyperbole When I Type Like This. my bad my bad. lemmie rephrase: game studios that are big enough to impact the social-ecological system of gamers all censor this sort of thing.

Knight 7631 14008
  • 13 Jul
 ToLazy4Name

ohhhhhhhh you didn't pick up on the hyperbole When I Type Like This. my bad my bad. lemmie rephrase: game studios that are big enough to impact the social-ecological system of gamers all censor this sort of thing.

I have no idea what the fuck this is supposed to mean or why you consider Mordhau to be on the same level as these big AAA pieces of shit

717 590

@ToLazy4Name said:

I have no idea what the fuck this is supposed to mean or why you consider Mordhau to be on the same level as these big AAA pieces of shit

they sold a million copies and was on the highest selling steam games list for a while. it's basically an "AA" game instead of an indie game, and big enough where it's going to invite and breed a lot of weirdos if they keep acting like it's an isolated closely knit community lol

1387 1457

@ToLazy4Name said:

@SWSeriousMike said:
I for one am not convinced that they don't condone white nationalists.

Yes, people who condone white nationalists are often known to include black people and women in their video game that could easily be passed off as a medieval European game. Are you joking with this comment? Do you know nothing about the developers? You've been here long enough that you should.

I have seen neither black people nor women in the game yet.
The devs aren't really active on this forum, so it is hard learn something about them here. I know that public servers degrade into complete cancer quite often. And I have seen no compelling evidence that the devs care about that.
I know that at least one of them spent hours in pointless discussions about a health regen toggle. That implies that they are quite disconnected with the majority of their players.

9 19

While I think George Orwell got some things wrong in 1984, the one thing he got right was the idea that history was going to be systematically rewritten until it was impossible to tell fact from fiction. He mistakenly thought the rewriting of history would be done by a totalitarian government, but the revisionists ended up being private citizens like the fella who wrote this article. Big Brother ended up not being a governmental system at all, but an army of blue-haired feminists, skinny-jeans-wearing soyboys, and perpetually bitter nonwhites who are supported by megacorporations like Nike and billionaires like George Soros.

697 530
  • 13 Jul
 esturias

@ToLazy4Name said:
You say "literally every other game studio" but I have never played a game that censors speech in any way or that has (serious) repercussions for "bad" words.

What games did you play then?
He was most definitely talking about somewhat known games that were played by a few people...

Knight 7631 14008
  • 13 Jul
 ToLazy4Name

@esturias said:

@ToLazy4Name said:
You say "literally every other game studio" but I have never played a game that censors speech in any way or that has (serious) repercussions for "bad" words.

What games did you play then?
He was most definitely talking about somewhat known games that were played by a few people...

Chivalry, Mordhau, Mount and Blade, Vermintide, Red Orchestra/Rising Storm, Squad, and a bunch of others that I don't feel like recalling off the top of my head. Games that don't fucking suck made by people that aren't (or at least are less) retarded.

129 181
  • 13 Jul
 CatR

@OccidentalOverdose said:
While I think George Orwell got some things wrong in 1984, the one thing he got right was the idea that history was going to be systematically rewritten until it was impossible to tell fact from fiction. He mistakenly thought the rewriting of history would be done by a totalitarian government, but the revisionists ended up being private citizens like the fella who wrote this article. Big Brother ended up not being a governmental system at all, but an army of blue-haired feminists, skinny-jeans-wearing soyboys, and perpetually bitter nonwhites who are supported by megacorporations like Nike and billionaires like George Soros.

Aah, finally you showed up.

717 590

this has to be a bit

129 181
  • 13 Jul
 CatR

this has to be a bit

I sure wish.

697 530
  • 13 Jul
 esturias

@ToLazy4Name said:
Chivalry, Mordhau, Mount and Blade, Vermintide, Red Orchestra/Rising Storm, Squad, and a bunch of others that I don't feel like recalling off the top of my head. Games that don't fucking suck made by people that aren't (or at least are less) retarded.

There you have it. Mostly smaller niche games then.
I played RO a bit back then. If I remember correctly that game had an acceptable report feature.

Knight 7631 14008
  • 13 Jul
 ToLazy4Name

@esturias said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

There you have it. Mostly smaller niche games then.
I played RO a bit back then. If I remember correctly that game had an acceptable report feature.

4 of those 6 listed titles have sold over a million copies, but yes, indie games made by small studios. If RO had a report feature, it was never utilized because I got quite rowdy, and more importantly it didn't censor the chat like Cocyx was talking about.

3 14
  • 13 Jul
 Oddball

I'd say the fact the developers saw it appropriate to release the game with a character creator that only allows you to create white males shows where the devs priorities lie and that these accusations are far from out of nowhere, and are in fact to be expected with this sort of carelessness as to what kind of audience they court

Knight 7631 14008
  • 14 Jul
 ToLazy4Name

oh no the devs needed to release the game before going into financial ruin and they prioritized actual gameplay over some customization options how could these evil white supremacists do such a thing :^ (

Count 788 3012

Dark skin tones were an option literally 3 years ago when the game was still called "Project Slasher", but without the appropriate facial models they looked like Al Jolson engaging in medieval cosplay.

WIP Female player models were shown a YEAR before release, but likely due to mesh/skeleton changes, limited budget for voice acting, etc. they were a low priority drain on resources during development, and were wisely delayed until some time after release.

Both of these minor customization options were not able to be fully implemented to the devs satisfaction due to the above reasons as well as budgetary and time constraints. They made the correct decision to attempt to focus on gameplay, and let these cosmetic options become post-release additions.

Do you honestly think the 2 default white male faces we currently have were the ONLY options the devs wanted? Of course not. They likely wanted 10+ per race and gender but, once again, they had an internal deadline to meet and did not have the resources to FULLY realize their goals, and so they made a reasonable compromise.

It seems that a misguided and impatient segment of the community would actually rather see these things rushed into the game early, even if it results in them being poorly implemented and detrimental to the overall growth and development of the game, just so they can selfishly satisfy the conditions of a nonexistant controversy that lives in their own mind.

I wonder how many times these embarrassing and misinformed complainers will have to be told that these additions have been planned for years, and that the devs are taking the time to implement these non-priority options correctly so they can do them justice via strong voice work and respectfully accurate player models.

394 589
  • 14 Jul
 smug

that wasnt the only thing the article was about. you should read it.

Count 788 3012

I am not responding to the article written by this "journalist", and any implications that I didn't read it, or that I just don't "get it" are further examples of the arrogance that some of our newer forum members exude in their pathetic crusade.

I am simply commenting on the recurring trend of an ignorant minority within the community.