Mordhau

"'Mordhau' and the Fantasy of an All-White Middle Ages"

90 78
  • 13 Jul
 SushiFish

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8xzpeg/mordhau-and-the-fantasy-of-an-all-white-middle-ages

Those gamer journalists sure know how to spew their shit around. apparently we are all racists for just wanting a fun melee slasher game that focuses on the game itself and not to have representation of every color, gender or whatever.

Also, don't get why a small portion of a community suddenly paints all of Mordhau like this. Gamer journalism at its best I guess.

Knight 568 1922
  • 13 Jul
 LuxCandidus

The biggest slap in the face regarding this sensationalised slander is that the writer got paid to write it. They are not only sabotaging the success of a young and ambitious indie company, but they also make a living out of it. And surprising to no one - they have no idea what they are talking about, else they would know females and darker skin tones are already planned, and were only absent from launch because the developers had to rush the game to a release-worthy state.

291 116

Vice has been shit even since fox bought them.

Old Vice:

New Vice:

Any more Questions?

133 167
  • 13 Jul
 Atlas-D

"Because some brown people invaded a small part of southwest europe and a handful of travellers came and went, the entirety of Medieval Europe was a multicultural and racially diverse continent with people of all shades of color (and still is now) and if your form of media doesn't portray this, it's harboring a safe space white supremacy and hate."

133 167
  • 13 Jul
 Atlas-D

This is seriously getting on my nerves. There are AAA games that are far more toxic with far more players but they don't get this media attention. I wonder why they're targeting mordhau so hard?

394 589
  • 13 Jul
 smug

At this point Trit has to make a statement that they infact don’t stand with white nationalists.

133 167
  • 13 Jul
 Atlas-D

@smug said:
At this point Trit has to make a statement that they infact don’t stand with white nationalists.

Do they have to say they breathe air too? What about drink water? Yeah, its not political until they do something you dont agree with, is that right?

394 589
  • 13 Jul
 smug

I don’t care either way, its just the obvious move forward. Probably because Trit are infact NOT white nationalists despite certain parts of the community projecting that onto them, and continuing to ruin their reputation. The optics for being known as a game altrighters/white nationalists play despite not being true just isnt good.

291 116

They all just don't like "post your kniggas". That's literally the only argument that could be made for the developers to be racist, not to close a thread with a fun wordplay and BAN OP forever.
But like I said, I don't think that Black People using the word nigga should be treated any differently from white people depending on context of course but imo, it's not fair to punish white people for using it in a funny or ironic way or in wordplays, when literally 99% of black rappers used the word in one of their tracks.

274 320
  • 13 Jul
 DrGert

Writing about Kingdom Come: Deliverance for RockPaperShotgun (another game that took pride in its “historical accuracy”, like Mordhau)

Historical accuracy.. pride... like mordhau? What?

I swear these authors browse the forums for a few days and think they know what the fuck they’re talking about.

Also, vice seems a little late to the party. Trit already released a statement defending themselves against these same allegations. Trash.

741 554
  • 13 Jul
 esturias

@DrGert said:
Writing about Kingdom Come: Deliverance for RockPaperShotgun (another game that took pride in its “historical accuracy”, like Mordhau)

Historical accuracy.. pride... like mordhau? What?

Yeah, wanted to quote that line, too. Proves that the author has zero clue.
And of course that page doesn't even have a comment function to show people that they are writing nonsense. Professional journalism. Yay.
Maybe some players should write some emails? Some mature and halfway educated players, of course. No fanboy ragemail needed.
Anyway, the devs should probably think about recruiting someone who does the PR to finally get that nonsense sorted. Normally that would be the community manager, but... eh.

Besides all that: This all started with the toxicity, that made those socalled "writer" throw an eye on all this, so, in a way, this is just karma.

edit: Funny how that socalled "writer" didn't notice this in his first article...
(https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/vb93nm/mordhau-convinced-me-id-definitely-die-in-a-medieval-battle)

129 181
  • 13 Jul
 CatR

Gonna be honest here. You can bang the drum of 'But we are adding muffins to this game populated entirely by cupcakes ANY SECOND NOW!' all you want but you can't get credit for it. You don't get grades based on what you were going to add into your paper if you had 2 more weeks, you get graded by the paper you hand in. Your movie doesn't get reviewed based on what the sequel looks like. Mordhau is a product that is sold for full price as a finished product and is treated as such.

Also, getting offended that journalists write news about the contents of the game and calling for their heads most of the time by discrediting their work and sometimes quite literally calling for their execution, as you'll see more frequently on the Steam forums; it doesn't exactly scream 'calm rational people that are really just doing their best'. Meaning no offence, but having a mod call the piece 'slander' is not really helping the image, because I actually took the time to read the thing everyone was outraged about and here is what I found:

The research is cited and uses a credible source. It postulates a correct phenomenon that entertainment about medieval times or European martial arts attracts white-supremacists. Mordhau as an example quite literally had people talking about the 'white ethno-state' and 'cultural marxism' until very recently. And in the end the article does not say anything about Trinternion that is not true. Let us get some quotes!

The developers of Mordhau, whether they planned to or not, have created an environment that is amenable to the
viewpoints of white supremacist appropriators of medieval culture.

Yeah, pretty much. Until very recently the entirety of the front page was "Don't add black knight!!" which incidentally is still what the Steam forums look like every other day. Sorry, Void, but you can't stem the tide on your own. You don't have to agree with the sentiment to see that it is still a very present factor in the community.

Mordhau’s forums, officially moderated by Triternion, are currently home to a number of threads and communities that
have a relatively lax approach to offensive slang.

Yes, pretty much. I don't find "Kniggas" offensive but I'd call it 'lax' indeed. Of course even people who argue for stricter moderation often use the N-word or the F-word or the R-word in descriptive or mocking ways. I don't refer to them as such in private but this is not private, is it?

Not only is this a gross misrepresentation of historical concepts of medieval societies, but it offers a dangerous space
for white supremacist movements to take hold, claiming that “authentic” portrayals of medieval Europe look a lot like
Mordhau: white, male, bloody.

Same as the first statement, Mordhau certainly contains only white people, only men, and a lot of blood. It certainly did not ever enforce the 'no racism' rule. Seems fair to me; we'll get to the historical argument in a second.

The fact that Mordhau, a game that draws heavily from the same aesthetics as neofascist white supremacist movements draw inspiration from, is grappling with bigotry and hate movements within their
gaming community, comes across as disappointing, but unfortunately not surprising.

Nothing controversial there, it is struggling, and neofascists do love knights. In fact I challenge you to find any part of this article that is in fact slanderous, inaccurate, or attacking Mordhau. I challenge you because these quotes I put forth are in reverse order and they still are isolated descriptive statements that in no way, shape, or form lie or mislead about what the Mordhau community contains. It in no way claims Triternion are racists, nor does it claim that this is an intentional development, nor does it claim that Triterion actively endorses any of its community bad behaviour. Now if you want to argue with their cited expert then go ahead, I won't join that discussion because I have better things to do than arguing with 10 people none of which has read a primary or even secondary source; but you enjoy that.

So let's all smash our pots and pans and yell loudly about how Trinternion is being targeted by the SJW press, that they are a victim of a conspiracy by Epic Games to make their work look bad. Let's weep sad little tears about how the average outside observer sees the Mordhau community as a place where people gladly engage in rubbing one out to romanticised medieval fantasies about murdering each other. Let us claim that everyone who criticises Mordhau is either out to get us, or over-sensitive political activists, or just don't see the bigger picture, man!

Because sure Mordhau is a game released where the only customisation options you have are being a white man, but you can be female soon! Very soon! And black! Or Asian! You can be all these things in the future just trust us NOW that all of this is coming in the future. The only reason it is delayed is because we have such a HIGH STANDARD that we wouldn't want to release LOW QUALITY CONTENT. That's literally the only reason. Just trust us, despite being given no reason to do so, despite the community showing that you really shouldn't; please trust us. The word filter? We'll release it when it's perfect, we'll release all the moderation features when they satisfy our personal standards. Don't worry, once they're all released you'll think yourself a fool for doubting us!

Or, perhaps, just maybe.

Now this is just, you know, a suggestion.

You know me, my silly suggestions.

How about taking responsibility for your actions?

Knight 934 941
  • 13 Jul
 afiNity

Omg gamers rise up against this injustice!

No seriously, i dont care if characters in this game are white, black, pink or yellow or superhuman aliens. But just to see you guys cry a little more, I cant wait until we have black and female characters.

129 181
  • 13 Jul
 CatR

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/2019/07/12/triternion-unexpected-success-mordhau-controversy/

A video about the cause-and-effect that shows the situation is a little bit more nuanced from those dread SJWs. At least that's what the comment field says because I sure as heck don't intend to watch it. Let's make a thread about how it's spewing lies without doing any research as to whether it is.

954 302

but Europe was Bloody in the middle Ages hell there was a 114 year war

1409 1480

@LuxCandidus said:
The biggest slap in the face regarding this sensationalised slander is that the writer got paid to write it. They are not only sabotaging the success of a young and ambitious indie company, but they also make a living out of it. And surprising to no one - they have no idea what they are talking about, else they would know females and darker skin tones are already planned, and were only absent from launch because the developers had to rush the game to a release-worthy state.

Mad at words.

Here is a guide how to deal with unwanted articles:
1) Go to the browser tab showing the article
2) Press CTRL + F4

You're welcome!

As CatR already pointed out: You brought this on the game. The community never stops giving and I'm sure the devs are really grateful to all the contributors from this forum, who helped making that article by proving it right time and time again. I'm sure you will add fuel for the next article now with your alt right conspiracy bullshit.

190 95

here we go again...

No 1 cares about the Aunt Jemima patch!

Fix the bugs, build more maps, make admin moderation tools and release the sdk, its a pretty simple road to success...

You think the toxicity is bad now wait till you give these idiots darkies and women to play as, you are sliting your own throats and the same ppl who criticized you for not having them will be the same ones slandering you yet again when the genre of toxic basement dwelling millenials is posting videos of a pack of darkies gang raping poor lil miss white night on the battlefield in her purple lvl 90 bra and panties skin instead of playing the game...

Half the ppl on these forums are nothing more than trolls, its apparent by the dumb shit they post daily, yet you let hem bring the community down and don't perma ban their moronic asses.

I mean shit you have that skeleton dude talking about jacking off in the shower on sum topics and how much they like dick etc.
You think that's acceptable? or that a parent wants their kid to read that fkn bs, srsly?

get a PR team Pronto and some decent forum moderation already!

If you cant keep that together how can we expect you to make anything better?

954 302

@THE-REAL-WARSAW said:
here we go again...

No 1 cares about the Aunt Jemima patch!

Fix the bugs, build more maps, make admin moderation tools and release the sdk, its a pretty simple road to success...

You think the toxicity is bad now wait till you give these idiots darkies and women to play as, you are sliting your own throats and the same ppl who criticized you for not having them will be the same ones slandering you yet again when the genre of toxic basement dwelling millenials is posting videos of a pack of darkies gang raping poor lil miss white night on the battlefield in her purple lvl 90 bra and panties skin instead of playing the game...

Half the ppl on these forums are nothing more than trolls, its apparent by the dumb shit they post daily, yet you let hem bring the community down and don't perma ban their moronic asses.

I mean shit you have that skeleton dude talking about jacking off in the shower on sum topics and how much they like dick etc.
You think that's acceptable? or that a parent wants their kid to read that fkn bs, srsly?

get a PR team Pronto and some decent forum moderation already!

If you cant keep that together how can we expect you to make anything better?

your the reason for the Articles lol

190 95

@Antoniokontos said:

@THE-REAL-WARSAW said:
here we go again...

I bet you used all 3 of your brain cells for that spark of genius didn't you.

smh,
classic troll post yet again.

741 554
  • 13 Jul
 esturias

@Antoniokontos said:

*you're