Mordhau

Long weapons should be ineffective in very close combat

84 42
  • 12 Jul
 Badass_Ben

Think of the long spear for example, if I get in PAST the tip, closer to you than the tip of your weapon, you should basically be defenseless.
(Spearmen historically fared EXTREMELY poorly vs swordsmen in close combat)

Even long twohanded swords, if im up against you, you shouldn't have the room to conduct a swing, and the EXTREME closeness of the target should mean you cant really build up momentum in your swing keeping damage minimal

We talk about how 2handers are the absolute meta rn (excluding rapiers) and its because long weapons have all the benefits and only some of the drawbacks associated with them.

133 167
  • 12 Jul
 Atlas-D

then make them do more dmg, also in real life if you get so close tthatt I can't swing I'll just shove you and maybe even shove you in the face. We can'tt do that in this game so whatever.

Knight 7636 14014
  • 12 Jul
 ToLazy4Name

realism doesn't make for good game mechanics, and this is a particularly bad mechanic

534 286
  • 12 Jul
 Gambit

There's no point in this. Long weapons are slow, short weapons are fast. Why should long weapons have another disadvantage?

84 42
  • 12 Jul
 Badass_Ben

@Gambit said:
There's no point in this. Long weapons are slow, short weapons are fast. Why should long weapons have another disadvantage?

if long vs short weapons were equally balanced, you would see an equal number of them

We don't
Its obvious two handers are dominant.

43 39
  • 12 Jul
 Kashi

@Badass_Ben said:

@Gambit said:

if long vs short weapons were equally balanced, you would see an equal number of them

We don't

Two handers are dominant because mostly cool factor for most of the playerbase

For higher level shorter 1 handed weapons tend to have slightly less stamina drain negation a major stat for duels

And in team games long reach is important for team fighting, especially because more people can get damage in with less risk of over extending q

This also reflects real life in a mechanical way as two handed long reaching weapons s where favored by alot of forces in medieval history

534 286
  • 13 Jul
 Gambit

@Badass_Ben said:

@Gambit said:

We don't

Usage is not stat of balance. Frontline is more popular as a game mode but it doesn't mean it should be used for competitive play. I enjoy long weapons more because I have the time to think about each attack rather than spam feints and stabs. I still use and enjoy short weapons but I also think they serve their place perfectly.

394 589
  • 13 Jul
 smug

The best duel loadout uses a 1hander.

58 129
  • 13 Jul
 Quadsword

Then people will just start using short weapons all the time because long weapons would be too much of a liability with this mechanic. Then we'll be here complaining that one handers are the meta and the whole cycle begins anew.

No game is ever going to have completely even usage of the entire arsenal, no matter how much you force it. Some items will always be favored by a majority of players. The only way to have a truly balanced game would be to have everyone fight in heavy armor with a long sword and remove everything else, but that'd get boring pretty fast, eh?

Conscript 227 306

@Quadsword said:
Then people will just start using short weapons all the time because long weapons would be too much of a liability with this mechanic. Then we'll be here complaining that one handers are the meta and the whole cycle begins anew.

No game is ever going to have completely even usage of the entire arsenal, no matter how much you force it. Some items will always be favored by a majority of players. The only way to have a truly balanced game would be to have everyone fight in heavy armor with a long sword and remove everything else, but that'd get boring pretty fast, eh?

There's been a few videos on the topic of absolute balance in video games and how if you have it the game becomes infinitely more boring because it becomes so predictable you can call a game before it even begins. You can't have absolute balance and an interesting game with lots of variety, as the variety is in itself unbalanced.

954 302

i wish i could Zweihänder Pole arms in half Battle_of_Kappel_detail.jpg

190 93

How will they get any kills if you take away all their free hits and 12 ft zweicopters ?

They will just cry for more nerfs on everything else they cant kill in 1 hit get around and beat then.

Ftr I agree with you tho it is fkn silly,
as silly as any1 really being able to even swing a fkn zweicopter period let alone at close range...

Knight 7636 14014
  • 13 Jul
 ToLazy4Name

you're not even trying anymore man you're just repeating yourself lmao

190 93

@ToLazy4Name said:
you're not even trying anymore man you're just repeating yourself lmao

Look in the mirror that's under the bridge where u live...

84 42
  • 13 Jul
 Badass_Ben

Keep in mind, im only thinking like "kick range close"
At THAT range, as someone said, your best option would be to try to give yourself more distance. It wouldn't be too severe of a nerf, but it would make 2handers a little less "power without drawback"

20 27
  • 13 Jul
 Quxudais

@Gambit said:

So slow you can bring a zweihander a full 360 degrees before the thrust of a longsword can connect to someones back. A thrust that started before the zweis horizontal did. Weapon accel pretty much eliminates any real downside to high damage, long weapons. The minimal differences in swing speed are virtually meaningless outside of high end duels.. which is not the games primary game mode. That's why the majority of any given Front Lines matches are Zweis and Execs, there's no downside to using them and they can two shot everything. No significant disadvantage exists for these weapons in the games primary mode.

The game play of a long reaching weapon should revolve around you keeping your opponent at range. The advantage is you get to engage first and can be dangerous to them before they can be dangerous to you, if you fail to keep them at that range then you should be on the back foot. A spear or halberd should not be 100% effective at hugging distance and max reach, you should not be able to spam zwei and exec swings while running in circles and you should actually have to care about maintaining distance when using these weapons . This is one of the games biggest weaknesses and the core area of the gameplay that's just half baked.

58 129
  • 14 Jul
 Quadsword

@Badass_Ben said:
Keep in mind, im only thinking like "kick range close"
At THAT range, as someone said, your best option would be to try to give yourself more distance. It wouldn't be too severe of a nerf, but it would make 2handers a little less "power without drawback"

Point cost balances weapons. Higher point cost = better weapon. If we're going to make one- and two-handers balanced in every fight, you'd have to chuck the whole point system in the bin and start over.

394 589
  • 14 Jul
 smug

higher point cost meaning better weapon isn't true.

the point system is basically a class system that lets you pretend you have any real agency over your loadout, thats all.

367 340
  • 14 Jul
 Peacerer

@Badass_Ben said:

@Gambit said:

We don't

Of course it's obvious.

When Mordhau was still in Alpha there were mostly Chivalry veteran 2h elitist youngsters who only cared that nothing came into inconvenience to their two-handers play.

The above wouldn't be a problem if developers weren't biased. Unfortunately, Triternion developers support 2h elitism.

954 302

Tbh to use my Zweihänder I can only wear t1 armor so I make a mistake I die instantly it’s made me play smarter than when I was a Shield bastard in full plate