Mordhau

Mordhau isn't doing as well as some of you might think, devs, time to wake up?

3 5
  • 12 Jul
 .fudô

If they're not going to use the $10,000,000+ they profited in sales to hire experienced studio developers, they should at least hurry up and expend their effort releasing an SDK so the game can be built for them while they figure out the logistics of managing a project this large.

While being niche, this game was heavily backed by streamers and reached an audience other contenders in the genre wasn't able to.

69 55

It's funny to see people try to contradict the stats that's right in front of their eyes. No amount of words or excuses can change that. It is what it is - Mordhau has lost 80% of its player population since the beginning.

69 55

@.fudô said:
If they're not going to use the $10,000,000+ they profited in sales to hire experienced studio developers,wasn't able to.

Steam takes 30% as its share, but its still good money for the game devs...they're not worried about doing anything to the game right now as they are living the good life on vacation, buying booze, living in penthouse suites, buying grade A prostitutes, and living the dream.

367 340
  • 12 Jul
 Peacerer

Yeah, Mordhau's retention rate is really bad taking into consideration the game is still rather fresh with probably close to 2kk copies sold. ATM game has only 5k concurrent players online worldwide. However, i don't think Mordhau will die anytime soon. Numbers can climb in the future with influx of new players when game's gonna be on sale, with some major content added etc. Smug is right thou with Mordhau "missed their chance at a mainstream breakthrough". Actually i think Triternion (almost) made a great mainstream breakthrough and then let it slip out of their pocket.

Initial sales were absolutely great. Game's probably still selling decent. Now imagine what Mordhau could be if released ready.

@616RexFortis
I don't think developers went full rockstar life with all the $$$ they got now. I also believe we should not generalise it while talking about the correlation between money and developers. IMO, there's just one, maybe two, decision maker(s) at Triternion. I do not think the rest have much word on financial disposing.

19 43

Yea i agree with most of what you say, though i do think people need to calm down a little bit. A portion of casual players disappearing does not mean the game will die. Mordhau is doing quite better than what Chivalry was last time i checked.

However i do agree they need to hurry up and focus on adding more maps, and good maps. Thats the nr.1 thing needed now. That and they need to communicate better, either through the mordhau steam news page or on both forums. Some kind of frequent "here's what we are working at".

The game is not in any danger of dying yet, but it probably will be losing more players if they are not adding at least new good 2 maps within the next 2 months.
The game itself is good, its just that playing the same few maps all the time gets boring. Ideally there should have been twice as many maps as we currently have.

Knight 917 2523
  • 12 Jul
 Pred

I would say player numbers are still amazingly high considering how much of a terrible dumpster fire Frontline is lmao

For me it seems like devs really lacked any vision and planning past "recreate Chivalry without the most broken stuff" and maybe "give a ton of historical customization". The first point was only a partial success, as they sabotage their combat with a fuckton of unneccessary and annoying garbage like firebombs, cheese perks and every map being a highway to get trampled by horses. Oh, and shields, lol. Combat is okay, but so what if you can't enjoy it outside of duels?

Uninspired, slightly adjusted Chivalry balance - "eveyone dies in 2 or 3 shots from everything except Maul". Trying to squeeze in cheese that should've died with Chivalry like 3rd person, 1-shot everything Maul or Dodge. Point system feels like half-baked, semi-abandoned idea that practically only comes down to "can't play Halberd/Zwei/Spear/Longbow with 3/3/3". Communication is non existent, as it's always been. Game will keep losing players until hopefully something resembling TO comes.

3 3

I quit the game because the community was incredibly toxic and I had constant trolls. My breaking point was getting vote kicked from a horde game on round 20 by a handful of guys who were trolling me for most the game. I had almost 400 kills I think. Fuck that shit. Fuck no punishment for people just vote kicking randomly. Fuck the devs.

604 475
  • 12 Jul
 esturias

@Pred said:
I would say player numbers are still amazingly high considering how much of a terrible dumpster fire Frontline is lmao

But then you could argue that they are amazingly low, considering the numbers at release.
However you want to twist and turn it, the retention rate of the game is horrible and the direction looks everything but promising.
The reasons for that are well known by now, no need to talk about it againa dn again and again. It's up to the devs to change it or to leave it as it is, making the game just another cashgrab title.

@Sirpzyン艶ニ said:
I quit the game because the community was incredibly toxic and I had constant trolls. My breaking point was getting vote kicked from a horde game on round 20 by a handful of guys who were trolling me for most the game. I had almost 400 kills I think. Fuck that shit. Fuck no punishment for people just vote kicking randomly. Fuck the devs.

No need to be that salty. Besides that: Do I need to explain the irony in your post?

19 3

@BallistaFodder said:
To all of you who keep saying the player base isn't dropping, OP linked an image with proof. Also I've noticed this as well, game has pretty much died for me as I live in Canada and can only play late at night. At around 2-6am there is only one or maybe 2 servers running in LA now, where as a month ago I there were around 3-5. I've seen it down to just one server running in LA with about 15-20 people in it.

Personally I think they really really need to hurry up with ranked mode. Game feels so casual I don't think currently many people even care win or lose. Ranked mode gets the adrenaline pumping and keeps people clicking "play again".

I too live in Canada and the TDM servers I usually played on (which are located in Chicago and Seattle) are disappearing. This week I noticed that there is only one server appearing on my server browser, sometimes none, I'll be lucky if I see 3 or 4 servers and only 2 of them I can join because of ping limitations.

Now Im being forced to play Frontlines (which we all know is a meat grinder and clusterfuck shit show), I don't mind playing on a scrim server but there are only a handful of servers that I can join in and most of the time, I'm on the wheelchair team.

10k+ player count is not actually bad. It's quite impressive for this kind of game but the steady decline of player count is much noticeable in less popular game modes.

531 283
  • 12 Jul
 Gambit

@BroodReaver said:

@BallistaFodder said:
To all of you who keep saying the player base isn't dropping, OP linked an image with proof. Also I've noticed this as well, game has pretty much died for me as I live in Canada and can only play late at night. At around 2-6am there is only one or maybe 2 servers running in LA now, where as a month ago I there were around 3-5. I've seen it down to just one server running in LA with about 15-20 people in it.

Personally I think they really really need to hurry up with ranked mode. Game feels so casual I don't think currently many people even care win or lose. Ranked mode gets the adrenaline pumping and keeps people clicking "play again".

I too live in Canada and the TDM servers I usually played on (which are located in Chicago and Seattle) are disappearing. This week I noticed that there is only one server appearing on my server browser, sometimes none, I'll be lucky if I see 3 or 4 servers and only 2 of them I can join because of ping limitations.

Now Im being forced to play Frontlines (which we all know is a meat grinder and clusterfuck shit show), I don't mind playing on a scrim server but there are only a handful of servers that I can join in and most of the time, I'm on the wheelchair team.

10k+ player count is not actually bad. It's quite impressive for this kind of game but the steady decline of player count is much noticeable in less popular game modes.

A lot of it is the divide of game modes people play though. I only have problems connecting to modes not supported by matchmaking. I made a breakdown of this here http://mordhau.nx.ie/stats

942 292

people say the same with WoW despite it still holding on the most subbed MMORPG to this day lol

942 292

also if you care about numbers thats sad, so long as i still have people to play with im fine

64 35

We need a steam workshop. If the devs think they can do everything with a 11 man team, lmao.

86 184
  • 13 Jul
 Dekkers

@ShapiroLibtardsDieTwice said:
We need a steam workshop. If the devs think they can do everything with a 11 man team, lmao.

True, IMO allowing people to mod this game should be their top priority after completing competitive and fixing their communication

531 283
  • 13 Jul
 Gambit

@Dekkers said:

True, IMO allowing people to mod this game should be their top priority after completing competitive and fixing their communication

Pretty sure they already are top priority. Competitive first and then modding. Mod support, if extensive, will be awesome.

86 184
  • 13 Jul
 Dekkers

@Gambit said:

@Dekkers said:

Pretty sure they already are top priority. Competitive first and then modding. Mod support, if extensive, will be awesome.

I hope so

Granted that, that won't be 2 years

531 283
  • 14 Jul
 Gambit

@Dekkers said:

@Gambit said:

@Dekkers said:

I hope so

Granted that, that won't be 2 years

A completely retarded guess is 6 months for modding. I imagine comp to be 2 or 3 patches away with how much they've said its a priority and the backlash for it.

118 63

Weekend = 10k players which = sloppy servers, high packet loss and disconnect warnings. They seem to struggle with the player base as it is.

531 283
  • 14 Jul
 Gambit

@bobbydigital said:
Weekend = 10k players which = sloppy servers, high packet loss and disconnect warnings. They seem to struggle with the player base as it is.

I only get packet loss with private servers that aren't up to spec. Official ones run fine unless they're a ways away. I'd like more than 10k players, but I'm lucky to be in the EU and not have any issues finding a game whatever the mode or time of day. It's always instant and matchmaking just works.

I have a signature

102 72
  • 15 Jul
 smokratez

@BroodReaver said:

@BallistaFodder said:

Yeah, I can't find tdm server below 50 ping anymore either. Is it too much to ask to host an official Western Euro tdm server. Just one will do.