Mordhau

Could Frontline have SOME semblance of team balancing based on Skill

84 42
  • 11 Jul
 Badass_Ben

I get Frontline is mostly just for fun, but its no fun when your team is so bad they get steam ran and match is over in the first 3 minutes.

181 165
  • 11 Jul
 Unlikely

I like this idea a lot. And I could imagine it being relatively easy to implement, too.

214 179
  • 11 Jul
 Dialectic

I have no idea how they would do this though

129 141

This would deprive people of choice in which team they play. Bad. Bad bad.

Comeback mechanic good

860 644
  • 11 Jul
 esturias

There are many reasons why the matches are so horribly boring and unbalanced. The two major reasons are the distribution of players and the fact that you can choose a side on those horribly biased maps.
Both should get fixed. A soft skillbased MM would be nice, but I also don't like how you can choose sides when you see the map. You should be able to choose the side only ONCE when you join the server.

63 43
  • 11 Jul
 Cadiz

I don't think so and I absolutely hate Frontline about 75% of the time. Between people that just spam firebombs, Horses and your teammates that are always slightly better at hitting you instead of the enemy, no thanks. It can be fun to change things up but by no stretch of the imagination should it be a "Go to" in my opinion. A comeback mechanic might help depending on what it was but I can't really see that coming for awhile if they decided to make one.

1471 1562

If the teams were matched skill-wise the horribly balanced maps would decide the outcome. They already do this quite often, but with balanced teams you would have incentives to play like shit just so you get switched to the winning team.

1369 3921

skill based auto balance is just impossible I could get switched because the game thinks a lvl 200 is super pro but if im playing as a bard that doesn't help the ppl I get switched to

or my score could be thousands of points ahead of everyone only for the team i get switched to finds out im a medic

Knight 7709 14196
  • 11 Jul
 ToLazy4Name

Chivalry had this, and i'd constantly get switched to the losing team.

Then i'd leave or AFK until the end of the match, because fuck that stupid shit.

274 320
  • 11 Jul
 DrGert

This could be accomplished with an MMR system. There are plenty of other games that use MMR in unranked matches to keep the playing field leveled but honestly idk if the player base is even big enough for MMR to be impactful enough to make it worth it. I feel like certain players could end up spending a long time in queue for 64 player frontline servers.

Sellsword 720 2234
  • 11 Jul
 Goof

There's not really any way to measure "skill" between players.

"What about rank and playtime?"
Those are just numbers and don't reflect how well a player implements the mechanics given to them.

Basically the only way to balance is by these skilled players choosing to change teams if they see fit.

957 303

no if you want to get good learn from people deadlier than you I dident learn how to fight until I met a feign god and learned to read instead of blocking every time the blade moved

80 117

I don't think much development time, if any, should be spent on balancing pubs so they are less likely to be shit stomps. Isn't that sort of the nature of public unranked games, anyway?

860 644
  • 11 Jul
 esturias

@Antoniokontos said:
no if you want to get good learn from people deadlier than you I dident learn how to fight until I met a feign god and learned to read instead of blocking every time the blade moved

Seems like you have a pretty wrong understanding of the term "skillbased matchamking".

717 600

it seems like a majority of players in this game just wanna stomp noobs or get into unfair situations, which is insanely lame. auto team balance switches would probably piss them off, but it's a necessity if this game wants to be taken seriously instead of being a playground for pubstompers

534 286
  • 11 Jul
 Gambit

Might be just me but I don't find any enjoyment in winning or losing in public matches. If my team is shit idc it just means I'm on the top of the scoreboard.

860 644
  • 11 Jul
 esturias

@Gambit said:
Might be just me but I don't find any enjoyment in winning or losing in public matches. If my team is shit idc it just means I'm on the top of the scoreboard.

I don't care, either - if the match is balanced and thus fun.
Losing 0-800 isn't fun.
Winning 800-0 isn't fun.

58 129
  • 11 Jul
 Quadsword

I don't know how well this would work. I don't like the idea of players randomly getting plonked into the losing team partway through a match. That just sounds like a recipe for frustration.

How would you accurately measure player skill, anyway? Elo and glicko matchmaking systems aren't easy to implement and come with their own problems (i.e. Community segregation. Not enough people to adequately fill out every skill bracket).

398 593
  • 11 Jul
 smug

Give people an autobalance vote.

Anyway no one would like this, and no one would ever vote yes because the maps are horribly one sided anyway.

34 37

A team auto-balancer based on skill would only work with balanced maps (lol).