Mordhau

Suggestion To The Devs

1739 639

I haven't been on the forums because I realized there wasn't much else to talk about or reasonably suggest to devs. So I just decided to wait till kickstarter comes.

Though after thinking about it in a conversation with Arby, there is one last idea I have that I think is reasonable and is likely to improve the development of Mordhau.

I think the people behind the development of Mordhau should all come from very different playstyles, in order to represent the interests of the wide variety of different players with different playstyles.

I could be wrong but I get the feeling that most of the dev team all play similar classes and all sorta have the same playstyle. Which can cause tunnel vision neglecting other styles of play.

There should be people that specialize purely in knight, vanguard, men at arms, and archer, giving direct feedback to you guys on the game.

It especially seems like the archer and men at arms are being neglected.

In short I think emerald archer who actually makes and shoots his own bows should be playing right now giving you guys feedback on the bow play.

And i think someone like hadeus who wrote the men at arms guide should be playing giving you guys feedback on how well his playstyle fits into the game.

This is particularly important to do this as early as possible in the development, as the early the better.

3932 5031

Oh boy diversity quotas

323 680

There should be at least one disabled person class too. And there should just be a slider between male and female so you can choose your appropriate gender.

394 547
  • 5 Jan
 Monsteri

The mordhau dev team consists of entirely knights! By 2018 we must make accommodations to include at least 25% people of archery in the dev team, and by 2020 the dev team must consist of one quarter of each character class or face repercussions. Down with the aristocracy!

2611 2076

I haven't been on the forums because I realized there wasn't much else to talk about or reasonably suggest to devs. So I just decided to wait till kickstarter comes.

Though after thinking about it in a conversation with Arby, there is one last idea I have that I think is reasonable and is likely to improve the development of Mordhau.

I think the people behind the development of Mordhau should all come from very different ethnicities, in order to represent the interests of the wide variety of different players with different ethnicities.

I could be wrong but I get the feeling that most of the dev team are all white, and all sorta have the same race. Which can cause tunnel vision neglecting other ethinicities.

There should be people that are purely caucasian, asian, hispanic, and nigger giving direct feedback to you guys on the game.

It especially seems like the asian and niggers are being neglected.

In short I think emerald archer who is actually black should be playing right now giving you guys feedback on the bow play.

And i think someone like hadeus who is asian should be playing giving you guys feedback on how well his race fits into the game.

This is particularly important to do this as early as possible in the development, as the early the better.

580 842

As funny as all of this is, I'm sure the devs mess around with all sorts of playstyles. Weapon viability and hits to kill balancing are the main cause for concern in terms of lighter class feasibility in competitive and I'm sure they'll test that out.

3932 5031

There's also these things called "alpha testing" and "beta testing."

445 385
  • 5 Jan
 Carlo_Mano

@roshawnmarcellterrell said:
I could be wrong but I get the feeling that most of the dev team all play similar classes and all sorta have the same playstyle. Which can cause tunnel vision neglecting other styles of play.

True, they definitely are neglecting ballerina style and reverse overhead style. Dang!

242 477
  • 5 Jan
 Hiemal

The devs are smart people and it's in their best interest to make a balanced game that is enjoyable for all play styles, so I trust them to do that, because that means more players and more diversity of gameplay, no stale meta etc. Also, there's going to be alpha/beta testing as well which should definitely help with balancing with all the feedback from players.

1844 1149

@Hiemal said:
The devs are smart people and it's in their best interest to make a balanced game that is enjoyable for all play styles, so I trust them to do that, because that means more players and more diversity of gameplay, no stale meta etc. Also, there's going to be alpha/beta testing as well which should definitely help with balancing with all the feedback from players.

this.

1739 639

@Valmirius said:
As funny as all of this is, I'm sure the devs mess around with all sorts of playstyles. Weapon viability and hits to kill balancing are the main cause for concern in terms of lighter classes feasibility in competitive and I'm sure they'll test that out.

I would argue theres a difference between messing around and purely playing that particular playstyle.

3469 3331
  • 5 Jan
 Sammy

I personally believe that giving people access to the game because "lol archer" will be piss me off and I will be angery because I want access at the same time so no pls.

1739 639

@Hiemal said:

Id agree and that's also part of the reason I didn't really care to suggest anything else as I knew the devs were smart.

Though tunnel vision can effect anyone, it also wouldn't be detrimental in really anyway to include 2-3 people in the dev process.

I also thought about alpha and beta, but what i tend to notice in kickstarters as shown with star citizen. Is there could end up being a lot more supporters than you initially predicted. And with too many voices, it could act as too much noise or worse. Make the devs afraid of making changes to the combat system for fear of upsetting their backers.

Not saying this will happen, just that it could.

Suggestions can be taken more seriously when they're from someone you actually talk and work with consistently than when they're seemingly coming from random people on the forums.

I guess another good suggestion would be to put a tight limit on the number of alpha/beta testers.

113 256
  • 6 Jan
 Stouty

Man at arms was a cancerous class that thrived on the "get out of jail free" card that is dodge out of parry. The less said about it in regards to Mordhau the better

3469 3331
  • 6 Jan
 Sammy

@Stouty said:
Man at arms was a cancerous class that thrived on the "get out of jail free" card that is dodge out of parry. The less said about it in regards to Mordhau the better

rats

1739 639

@Stouty said:

Any good maa such as hadeus wouldn't depend on the crutch that is dodge. I don't think dodge would fit in a game such as mordhau for the same reasons I dont think stances work in mordhau, because it interrupts the flow. Mordhau at the core, is all about flow.

Thing is, your statement is one of the reasons why im concerned. Even though you're a good player and have played chiv for a long time, you still failed to see the perspective of the playstyle. You assumed the use of dodge, but if you understood the playstyle people like me and hadeus have, you would know we don't actually depend or really even like dodge all that much.

I don't play archer at all, but im sure the same thing applies to the class as well. Most people seem look at archer as an annoying class (I do as well) but im sure emerald would have much to say regarding the deeper aspects about the play style that we've probably never considered.

1108 1562
 DerFurst

Are you saying that the developers cannot balance the game properly because they don't have a wide enough diversity of playstyles?

Do you realize that people do not exclusively have to be part of a group to understand and relate to that group? These identitarian politics you're pulling are nonsense.

People, especially as wise as the developers, are capable of understanding concepts and playstyles that they themselves are not quite as proficient at. You have to understand that the devs don't have some tribal affinity towards their own playstyles at the exclusion of all others. They're capable of seeing past their own biases, have the foresight to know how boring a static meta would be, and have the imagination necessary to craft a game that's fun not just for themselves but for people of other playstyles.

Jesus, Roshawn. This thread was terrible. You were mere inches from saying "the Mordhau development team is too White and needs more people of color to promote tolerance and diversity."

3469 3331
  • 6 Jan
 Sammy

As someone who has mained every class at some point in their years playing Chiv, I can confirm that the MAA dodge is ez cancer, tbqh.

1739 639

@DerFurst said:
Are you saying that the developers cannot balance the game properly because they don't have a wide enough diversity of playstyles?

No im saying its a possibility. And im not really concerned with balance as I think the devs are more than capable of handling that, but really to make sure the essence of these playstyles isnt lost in anyway, and if anything only expanded upon.

The biggest point, is that it wouldn't hurt to have people such as hadeus and emerald helping and giving direct feedback. It only further guarantees this success.

Just as stouty made that mistake, I think its possible the devs could make that mistake as well.

1108 1562
  • 6 Jan
 DerFurst

You're going to help them by spending money and giving feedback on pre-release builds. They will help by giving direct feedback, if they pay into the kickstarter to do so.