Mordhau

Dissatisfied with the Kick Mechanic

1477 1567

It only stuns them when they hold the shield up. If they are not stunned then they did drop it.

Conscript 227 306

Shield suggestion:

Shields have 2 modes.

  1. Block melee mode. This is just a parry, albeit with a larger hit box (not nearly as large as the one it has now, but larger than 1h by itself) and maybe slightly longer active time. Recovery could even be longer for larger shields and shorter for something like the buckler.
  2. Block ranges mode. This is the held block as it is now, however against melee the area is much smaller and stam drain is much harsher (reasoning being you are absorbing all of the energy from that strike rather than deflecting it away like you should). Against ranged everything stays the same.

This way you have a good anti ranged tool while also having to engage in melee with the same timing rules as everyone else. I don't know how you would choose which block you wanted without making it so you can't use your weapons alt grip but something to consider.

1477 1567

The shield could be held up all the time and only parries have to be timed. Would require some overly dramatic animations though so that you are not able to hide your parry.

Conscript 227 306

@SWSeriousMike said:
The shield could be held up all the time and only parries have to be timed. Would require some overly dramatic animations though so that you are not able to hide your parry.

That'd be cool. Maybe when you parry you wind up the shield and swipe, like a Dark Souls parry?

52 101
  • 1
  • 10 Jul
 Erwinicus

Edit - I just realized I only spent 10 seconds on this great idea. It probably has a lot of problems with it,

274 320
  • 3
  • 10 Jul
 DrGert

@Soulcatcher said:
Nah it's fuckin' bullshit mate honestly

It's literally just YOU, trying to drain their stamina.

I don't even know what kick does anymore, or how much stamina it drains them. What I do know is it doesn't even stun them anymore. You kick them and accel any attack and it's instantly blocked.

  • Kick doesn't create any openings in their defense
  • You can matrix out of their attack and instantly strike back, but it's insa-blocked because there is no penalty for just holding down RMB.

Only way to beat shields 1v1 is to outstam them with like greatsword.

It's the most BORING fucking thing ever

Literally just doing nothing but accel overheads with GS fighting most shield users, parrying their shitty 1h attacks, hard reading feints or morphs if they bother to do that. Can't punish any of those because they just block.

Stamina wars

Just remove them fuck, atleast the previous kick that had longer range and a good stun punished people who put 20 metric tons of pressure on their RMB and made them have to think a little bit.

Over it, don't even duel shield idiots anymore it's just slow paced, un-interesting, un-skilled backwards and forwards bullshit.

No arguments here but from what I’ve gathered in this thread and others is that BOTH sides don’t like shields at the moment. They feel absolutely terrible to play with and against. And tbh I don’t duel against shields anymore either. There just seems to be something fundamentally wrong with them from the ground up.

If held block gets removed then you’re isolating and punishing new or casual players who either don’t have the time to learn or don’t have the skill to play with 2 handers. Yet if held block stays then shields remain uninteractive and frustrating to play against.

Idk. Maybe shields should have held block removed and just have an extended parry window when compared to other weapons or maybe they should suffer from a slow stamina drain while holding block.

Knight 7711 14207
  • 10 Jul
 ToLazy4Name

@DrGert said:
If held block gets removed then you’re isolating and punishing new or casual players who either don’t have the time to learn or don’t have the skill to play with 2 handers.

How hard is it to press the parry button before an attack hits you? If someone doesn't have the mechanical skill for that then there is no reason for them to play Mordhau because they are literally disabled.

1121 1763

Shield needs held block to be a soft counter to archers and an important tool for pushing objectives. Shield also needs to be a reliable tool so it can be used by low level players and remain useful to high level players... a shield is supposed to be a direct upgrade to one hander no matter the scenario.

But shield has been implemented as the "easy game mode" option for noobs rather than a genuine high skill tool. Shield only loses out to kick spam, stamina warfare and it's obnoxious in ganks/team fights.

Cut down the massive parrybox; if something gets infinitely held block then it needs to require accuracy. Remove kick stun; kick stun just makes shields useless for high level players fighting multiple competent opponents in tight spaces... unless you run away you're better off putting the shield away.

If the massive parry box goes and kick stun is removed, the shield will be balanced well enough to be used by low level and high level players alike as a direct one hander upgrade. It won't be obnoxious when used by gankers and won't be gimped when fighting off multiple opponents.

I ALSO THINK THIRD PERSON SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM THE GAME OR AT LEAST FROM SHIELDS. One of the trade offs of a shield is supposed to be obstruction of vision... not arcade-style kick stun or stamina disadvantage.

274 320
  • 2
  • 10 Jul
 DrGert

@ToLazy4Name said:

@DrGert said:
If held block gets removed then you’re isolating and punishing new or casual players who either don’t have the time to learn or don’t have the skill to play with 2 handers.

How hard is it to press the parry button before an attack hits you? If someone doesn't have the mechanical skill for that then there is no reason for them to play Mordhau because they are literally disabled.

Yeah, I dunno dude but I’m sure there is some reason other than roleplaying as to why some players use shields over 2 handers. Learning the parry window and basic sword play does take SOME practice but they just seem to be a huge crutch right now.

I could be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that the devs even stated that 2h melee was the focus of this game (if it wasn’t obvious enough even without them saying that). Shields, the way they are, seem so out of place if timed combat is their focus.

274 320
64 34
  • 10 Jul
 Crumly

OP is shit and so are 90% of the responses

64 34
  • 10 Jul
 Crumly

@Lionheart Chevalier said:
Shield needs held block to be a soft counter to archers and an important tool for pushing objectives. Shield also needs to be a reliable tool so it can be used by low level players and remain useful to high level players... a shield is supposed to be a direct upgrade to one hander no matter the scenario.

But shield has been implemented as the "easy game mode" option for noobs rather than a genuine high skill tool. Shield only loses out to kick spam, stamina warfare and it's obnoxious in ganks/team fights.

Cut down the massive parrybox; if something gets infinitely held block then it needs to require accuracy. Remove kick stun; kick stun just makes shields useless for high level players fighting multiple competent opponents in tight spaces... unless you run away you're better off putting the shield away.

If the massive parry box goes and kick stun is removed, the shield will be balanced well enough to be used by low level and high level players alike as a direct one hander upgrade. It won't be obnoxious when used by gankers and won't be gimped when fighting off multiple opponents.

I ALSO THINK THIRD PERSON SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM THE GAME OR AT LEAST FROM SHIELDS. One of the trade offs of a shield is supposed to be obstruction of vision... not arcade-style kick stun or stamina disadvantage.

dog shit opinion

64 34
  • 10 Jul
 Crumly

@ToLazy4Name said:

@DrGert said:
If held block gets removed then you’re isolating and punishing new or casual players who either don’t have the time to learn or don’t have the skill to play with 2 handers.

How hard is it to press the parry button before an attack hits you? If someone doesn't have the mechanical skill for that then there is no reason for them to play Mordhau because they are literally disabled.

How hard is it not to fucking whine constantly on forums? Bet you've never tried

Knight 7711 14207
  • 10 Jul
 ToLazy4Name

@Crumly said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

@DrGert said:
If held block gets removed then you’re isolating and punishing new or casual players who either don’t have the time to learn or don’t have the skill to play with 2 handers.

How hard is it to press the parry button before an attack hits you? If someone doesn't have the mechanical skill for that then there is no reason for them to play Mordhau because they are literally disabled.

How hard is it not to fucking whine constantly on forums? Bet you've never tried

mad

Sellsword 224 259
  • 10 Jul
 Redeaux

The S key exists.8913671931.png

84 42
  • 10 Jul
 Badass_Ben

Realistically, the biggest decider of a fight was OFTEN stamina.
That's why the Roman army was so superb in its hey-day, because the entire tactic of the Legionary unit was to use its formation to cycle through its men so the guys fighting were always fresh, against an ever-tiring opponent.

Shields take LONGER to kill (that is their whole point) and are a direct counter to feint-spammers. But are not "harder" to kill.

People say shields are for noobs, yet my friend who JUST got the game (no Chivalry experience) started MVPing teams just by using an Executioner sword and swinging like crazy (Frontline)

Someone brought up the valid point of 3rd person with shields negating a significant drawback they are SUPPOSED to have, which is reduced visibility. I only use 1st person, and im fine with 3rd person being limited when someone equips a shield, not sure how that would work. Or have servers with 1st person only allowed, idk.

But at the end of the day, if you cant beat a shield, ur bad.
If you rely on feint spamming, you are not good
Play SMARTER

Ive always wished since Chivalry that stamina played a BIGGER role than it does currently
Reduced Recovery rate, even swings that hit take stamina, etc.

Knight 7711 14207
  • 10 Jul
 ToLazy4Name

@Badass_Ben said:
Play SMARTER

oh wise one, please enlighten us on these advanced high IQ strategies you use to defeat shield users

84 42
  • 10 Jul
 Badass_Ben

@ToLazy4Name said:

@Badass_Ben said:
Play SMARTER

oh wise one, please enlighten us on these advanced high IQ strategies you use to defeat shield users

Honestly, relentless attacks takes care of em pretty quick.
You KNOW you have the stamina edge, play that

Knight 7711 14207
  • 10 Jul
 ToLazy4Name

@Badass_Ben said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

@Badass_Ben said:
Play SMARTER

oh wise one, please enlighten us on these advanced high IQ strategies you use to defeat shield users

Honestly, relentless attacks takes care of em pretty quick.
You KNOW you have the stamina edge, play that

your idea is to spam lmb

holy shit why did I never think of this before wtf....

274 320
  • 2
  • 10 Jul
 DrGert

@Badass_Ben said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

@Badass_Ben said:
Play SMARTER

oh wise one, please enlighten us on these advanced high IQ strategies you use to defeat shield users

Honestly, relentless attacks takes care of em pretty quick.
You KNOW you have the stamina edge, play that

Keeping the pressure up works for duels sometimes but this is literally the worst strategy or advice you could give for frontline. No one has the luxury of having enough time to play the stamina game. And to be honest frontline is where the majority of shield frustration comes from. 95%+ of duel server population is 2 handers or targe + 1 hander.