Mordhau

Dissatisfied with the Kick Mechanic

84 42
  • 8 Jul
 Badass_Ben

1st, I know that SOME sort of block-breaker is important for dealing with shields, I get that.

But to me, the implementation just doesn't feel right, specifically how if you find yourself being kick spammed to death, there is LITERALLY nothing you can do. Yes, you can counter kick, but then you often get locked in a counter kick battle as who ever stops first WILL get hit (you cant attack before the kick lands)

And if you are being kicked by 2 or more people= auto death with no counter available

With standard attacks, you have a chance, but kicks are these magical, unstoppable attacks

I don't have a solution, but im definitely not happy with the way the mechanic is now.

274 320
  • 8 Jul
 DrGert

Solution - Pick up greatsword

190 95

1000% agree !!!

It's basically just a free hit so some 1 doesn't have to swing at you a few times and you block their attacks a couple times before being disarmed of your "shield" mind you, using it as a shield was intended to be used to block incoming attacks
especially when facing multiple opponents...

If your facing even 2 or 3 opponents they would literally knock that shield right outa your hand as it is right now in less than 5 seconds, all while you are just praying you don't get flinched either...

That is not epic by any means and makes no 1 " gud " so to speak.

Only way to fix the issue and make every1 "happy" is 2 diff versions of an effect.

1 for duels ~ let your opponent choose how You Use Your shield...

1 for frontline ~ actually get to Use shields how You want...

or even better make it a server side toggle!

Then we have how this free hit effects light characters also,
my character literally dies when I get hit with that free hit they are getting after a kick.

That doesn't make any sense at all kick stab I'm dead?
and you think your " gud " oh lord that's too funny, srsly.

Remove the flinch and all these other things that literally break the combat flow and lock you into animations you cant defend yourself in,
only then will it be somewhat of a test of your skill and reaction time.

otherwise your just locking others into animations they cant protect themselves in and literally has no attest to skill or how " gud " you are especially if they're hitting block or attack 6 times yet nothing happens...

63 43
  • 8 Jul
 Cadiz

I don't have that problem. I usually just run a longsword or Arming Sword + Buckler. I mostly take a decent distance between myself and my opponent. Maybe it's just something you need to practice?

33 25
  • 8 Jul
 Demfr

You must use supa kicka...

52 101
  • 8 Jul
 Erwinicus

I'm sorry that you magical force field has a weakness.

Conscript 227 306

Kick is super short though. Maybe don't hold up your shield all the time.

291 116

I got out of that. I'm using a cleaver and shield. Cleaver slash seems faster than kick just like rapier stab and a couple others.

534 286
  • 9 Jul
 Gambit

You can block them with a kick though. And unless you're holding a parry there's only a small window a kick is useful. In 350 hours I've never had an issue with people kicking me too much, so maybe you're just using the shield too much? Play more offensive if anything.

84 42
  • 9 Jul
 Badass_Ben

@Gambit said:
You can block them with a kick though. And unless you're holding a parry there's only a small window a kick is useful. In 350 hours I've never had an issue with people kicking me too much, so maybe you're just using the shield too much? Play more offensive if anything.

Even non-shield users
Facing 2 or more who do nothing but kick, you get stun locked with no way to break it.

84 42
  • 9 Jul
 Badass_Ben

@Erwinicus said:

It is a shield?
How is that magical?
TECHNICALLY, shields are infact WEAKER in game than in reality

Knight 99 263
  • 9 Jul
 GAYFISH

@Badass_Ben said:

@Erwinicus said:

It is a shield?
How is that magical?

The fact that the shield hitbox extends a foot or more past the actual model of the shield is what makes it magically retarded.

What a great idea to make a game based nearly entirely on timing and then add held block which completely negates all timing based mechanics. Truly galaxy brain game balancing right there.

Conscript 227 306

@GAYFISH said:

@Badass_Ben said:

@Erwinicus said:

It is a shield?
How is that magical?

The fact that the shield hitbox extends a foot or more past the actual model of the shield is what makes it magically retarded.

What a great idea to make a game based nearly entirely on timing and then add held block which completely negates all timing based mechanics. Truly galaxy brain game balancing right there.

You know that if they didn't add held block shields people would have had a riot cuz muh M&B muh Chiv reeee

26 17
  • 9 Jul
 Nauht

Wtf? shield users crying that they can't block everything from multiple people...

24 34
  • 9 Jul
 Sayton

When easy mode just isn't easy enough.

1405 1473

All you badasses never bothered using shields. When you are beaten by someone just because they use a shield, you are maybe not that good.
The real easy mode in frontline is using spears by the way - not shields.

Also the parry box without shield is bigger than the block box of the shield. So much for the discussion about magic.

Knight 99 263
 GAYFISH

@SWSeriousMike said:
All you badasses never bothered using shields. When you are beaten by someone just because they use a shield, you are maybe not that good.
The real easy mode in frontline is using spears by the way - not shields.

Also the parry box without shield is bigger than the block box of the shield. So much for the discussion about magic.

Epic strawman my dude, no one here is complaining about losing to shields, we're complaining about how shields get to ignore basically every offensive mechanic.

90% of the game is timing based and shields get to ignore that entirely because the devs are afraid noobs will insta quit if they don't have a giant crutch.

1405 1473

Just like cavalry, archery, siege weapons, engineering tools and spears and halberds in frontline.

By the way you can morph your attack into a kick. You can drag your attack around the shield. You can chamber or dodge their attack. It's you that forget 90% of the mechanics when you fight shields. Shield user have to pay attention to this or just get killed. If you are losing to someone that ignores all of this then you are probably not that good.

312 241
  • 9 Jul
 LoPan

ITT: mad shield crutch who doesn’t know how to backpedal.

1405 1473

Want to test it? You hold up your shield and backpedal and I walk right to your face and kick. Want to bet whether that kick lands?