Mordhau

It seems you have a problem...

Knight 7571 13864

I hope you get help and stop caring about words and people who disagree with you

717 587

[tugging collar like in the simpsons at being told to not care about people from someone with an antisocial disorder] yah i'll uh work on that

Baron 1600 5073
  • 5 Jul
 Lincs

“just use mute duh lolol,”

The best part of the OP.

Hey Mr. longtime chiv server owner, can you tell us why you're making the mute function out to be a dumb solution that doesn't work, when it literally solves the entire problem of having to deal with toxicity in game, you absolute dingus.

10 13

@Lincs said:
“just use mute duh lolol,”

The best part of the OP.

Hey Mr. longtime chiv server owner, can you tell us why you're making the mute function out to be a dumb solution that doesn't work, when it literally solves the entire problem of having to deal with toxicity in game, you absolute dingus.

Well, overlooking the fact that having to mute individual players is literally forcing people to deal with the toxicity (and to be honest, I hate that term because it's so nebulous, but here we are), I already addressed this in my initial posting, though to be fair I suppose I left most of the inference as an exercise for the reader.

So here's my in-depth reasoning then; forcing the responsibility onto the individual doesn't do anything to solve the problem at hand, much in the same way that telling someone to "just close the window" doesn't change the fact that there's a factory a block down the road with uncontrolled emissions polluting the air, it's gonna seep through regardless; in order to know who to mute, people have to witness the behavior in the first place, even if it's just one instance, it contributes to the ambient pollution one experiences over the course of gameplay. The source of the issue is the behavior exhibited by the "toxic" individuals, who knowingly engage in such behavior because they power trip off of emotionally manipulating people; this behavior isn't tolerated in public, and now that most of the public is on the internet, it's not going to be tolerated online. Yeah, I get it, "it's the internet;" I've been online gaming for over 15 years, I have a thick skin and don't get bothered by things people say because I'm used to it, but that's not true for most people online anymore. I would argue that the nature of trolling has changed as well, and given the blurring of lines between online and reality these days, it's more impactful as well. Words and thoughts have specific meanings, you can try to brush it off as "speech" or "just words on a screen," but the truth of the matter is that people use offensive words because of their meanings, and because of the reactions they elicit; that is the sort of behavior that people are calling "toxic."

All of this is a moot point anyway, because the simple heart of the matter is that rules are not being enforced; the game and the platform on which it's hosted already have a set of guidelines players agree to follow while playing, and once again, the "toxic" players find themselves on the wrong side. Client-side options can work fine when paired with active measures, but on their own, they are not potent enough to address the issue at hand. A bandage can staunch the bleeding, but it won't stop an infection from taking root; you need something stronger for that.

You absolute dingus.

Knight 7571 13864

holy shit they're WORDS

W O R D S

717 587

@ToLazy4Name said:
holy shit they're WORDS

W O R D S

not everyone struggles with empathizing with other people, but i guess you need empathy to understand that lol

ppl aren't offended by the words, they're annoyed by dumb antisocial people clogging up chat

10 13

@ToLazy4Name said:
holy shit they're WORDS

W O R D S

Yes, and I addressed that line of reasoning up above, and I've stated that I personally don't really care because I've learned to tune things out if I don't want to see/hear them.

But this isn't about me or you or any other individual, it's about the community as a whole. I'd rather have an active community than a dead one, it's better for the game; a pragmatic approach to this issue is the most viable way to address and solve the problem.

1334 1389

@ToLazy4Name said:
holy shit they're WORDS

W O R D S

Rick just put some words in a text file. ;)

717 587

@SWSeriousMike said:

@ToLazy4Name said:
holy shit they're WORDS

W O R D S

Rick just put some words in a text file. ;)

[insufferable nasally nerd voice] uhh actually it's called a configuration file, you just edit it with a text editor 🤓

7 15

@ToLazy4Name said:
holy shit they're WORDS

W O R D S

Well put, I wish more people would just realise that words have no impact on anything, they're just letters lol

Like how could anyone be dissatisfied with racial slurs clogging up every chat, this literally cannot have an impact on anyones enjoyment of the end product, they're just W O R D S

This thankfully also means I can be an insufferable asshole to anyone I like, because if they get offended it's their fault for being triggered by words, not mine for typing the trash out xDDD

717 587

@Fattigkussen said:

@ToLazy4Name said:
holy shit they're WORDS

W O R D S

Well put, I wish more people would just realise that words have no impact on anything, they're just letters lol

Like how could anyone be dissatisfied with racial slurs clogging up every chat, this literally cannot have an impact on anyones enjoyment of the end product, they're just W O R D S

This thankfully also means I can be an insufferable asshole to anyone I like, because if they get offended it's their fault for being triggered by words, not mine for typing the trash out xDDD

ooooo that was a good switcharoo. big fan of that

Knight 7571 13864

@Fattigkussen said:

@ToLazy4Name said:
holy shit they're WORDS

W O R D S

stop posting in these shitty threads and go make more Vermintide videos you european fuck

7 15

@ToLazy4Name said:

@Fattigkussen said:

@ToLazy4Name said:
holy shit they're WORDS

W O R D S

stop posting in these shitty threads and go make more Vermintide videos you european fuck

Yo lets strike a deal

You go one week without shitposting one-liners in literally every thread for easy likes like it's your main hobby, and I'll fuck off back to my precious vermintide forever

Knight 7571 13864

@Fattigkussen said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

@Fattigkussen said:

@ToLazy4Name said:
holy shit they're WORDS

W O R D S

Yo lets strike a deal

You go one week without shitposting one-liners in literally every thread for easy likes like it's your main hobby, and I'll fuck off back to my precious vermintide forever

I don't negotiate with europeans

Knight 7571 13864

@CocyxTheGaySkeleton said:

@ToLazy4Name said:
holy shit they're WORDS

W O R D S

not everyone struggles with empathizing with other people, but i guess you need empathy to understand that lol

ppl aren't offended by the words, they're annoyed by dumb antisocial people clogging up chat

then fucking mute them lmao

717 587

@ToLazy4Name said:

@ToLazy4Name said:
holy shit they're WORDS

W O R D S

this argument has looped back to this about eight thousand times now and i barely need empathy to understand that you have literally two argument points

• mute them

• they're words

and every time someone points out ones dumb you just flip to the other lol

you're not even arguing, you're TOGGLING.

1334 1389

[insufferable nasally nerd voice] uhh actually it's called a configuration file, you just edit it with a text editor 🤓

Still just a text file. The suffix doesn't change that (in a real OS). It's not binary code that is analyzed (or rather it isn't opened in binary mode) but text. It's even human-readable.

I think it's harsh to limit Rick's freedom of expression. He can write in his diary what he wants. If that diary just so happens to contain words that are interpreted by the game executables, then it is pure coincidence with no malicious intent at all. Some people (who can't be bothered with learning definitions) might even call it 'banter'.

717 587

@SWSeriousMike said:

Still just a text file. The suffix doesn't change that (in a real OS). It's not binary code that is analyzed (or rather it isn't opened in binary mode) but text. It's even human-readable.

I think it's harsh to limit Rick's freedom of expression. He can write in his diary what he wants. If that diary just so happens to contain words that are interpreted by the game executables, then it is pure coincidence with no malicious intent at all. Some people (who can't be bothered with learning definitions) might even call it 'banter'.

well actually some configuration files are plain text files but others might be stored in a format specific to the program. a MAME configuration file is one example where the configuration file is used to store keyboard settings in an xml-based format, for instance. i definitely did not just google this or anything. i am extremely smart brained and not at all just tethered to the sum of all human information thru the internet

Knight 7571 13864

@ToLazy4Name said:

@ToLazy4Name said:
holy shit they're WORDS

W O R D S

this argument has looped back to this about eight thousand times now and i barely need empathy to understand that you have literally two argument points

• mute them

• they're words

and every time someone points out ones dumb you just flip to the other lol

you're not even arguing, you're TOGGLING.

I'm rehashing it because that's literally all you have to do, you can even report them and get them banned if you want lmao

138 218
  • 5 Jul
 DylanS_98

i love these forums and i love the united states of america.