Mordhau

Triternion's official statement in regards to recent events

Baron 19 31

Triternion rocks! I stand by with the community. Love this game and the team. Mistakes happen. No matter what happens, you can't float everyone's boat. Focus on the the additional game content, you guys are doing great!

Mordhau Positive.png

Baron 1601 5077
  • 3 Jul
 Lincs

Ignore the "gaming journalists" and keep on doing what you're doing, friends. The more you engage with them the higher the likelihood of a fresh new fabricated "scandal" occurring.

36 12
 Taki7o7

@Jax said:
In light of recent publicity on the state of MORDHAU’s community, we would like to discuss our stance on toxicity and the topic of gender and race in our game.

First and foremost, Triternion does not, nor have we ever, had plans to add a customization option that would force a white male default. This is an absurd idea that stems from a misunderstanding in a recent interview by PC Gamer with two of our artists. These artists, both uninvolved with character development went into a verbal interview with minimal PR experience and ended up answering some of the questions in a misleading way, which combined with a lack of context, led to some very controversial statements. Again, we at Triternion do not, nor have we ever had any plans to implement any kind of ethnicity toggle on potential future character ethnicity customization additions.

The responses given were referring to the gender part of the questions, which were based off an old controversial "gender toggle" idea, with the intention being to give the player options to play the game with only female characters, only male characters, or both. This concept was brought forth by one of our developers and posted prior to the game’s release as a response to a large number of heated debates regarding the topic of realism. The idea to give players this ability was simply a theoretical solution to a difficult problem and was never intended to be the official stance of Triternion on this topic. This is a lesson for us that we must be excessively prudent with the wording we use in the future as it can be easy to misconstrue an individual’s opinions and ideas as officially sanctioned.

Shortly after launch and in internal discussions, the concept of a gender option toggle was dismissed as it would undermine the customization players work hard to create. The two artists featured in the interview were ill-informed of this decision, which was a major mistake and miscommunication on the side of Triternion; and in combination with a question on a sensitive issue of which they were underprepared to answer, strongly contributed to this misunderstanding. Our official stance is that these toggle options are out of the question.

In regards to community toxicity, we do not have prior experience managing communities of this size, nor the manpower or resources that established studious can leverage. Our team consists of 11 first-time developers working remotely and volunteer moderators who try their best to curb this toxicity and behavior across all platforms, including in-game. At the moment we are stretched thin with major important content additions and unfortunately we do not have the staff nor systems in-place to moderate everything to our intended level of standards. We plan on improving in this regard. We hope our players understand our situation and will continue to place their faith in us, as improving these things will take time.

Don't listen to crap game journalism. You're awesome guys, you just got overrun from a mass which nobody could really handle.

They just search anything "hyped" to fill their own bags on your neck

95 81

Personally I wish this kind of attention would be turned towards the nightly curse of abhorrent griefers that only join games to block spawns, plant bear traps and spikes for friendlies and team damage via hitting teammates' backs or outright shooting selfmade ballistas at them.

I feel bad that energy that is hopefully going into more maps (actual FL this time instead of King of the Hill would be my desperate, desperate wish; or, ideally a conversion of existing maps into team objective mode maps to introduce that as a new game mode parallel to FL plus 1-2 new ones on top) is being redirected due to this PR mess.

However, just to be clear - I doubt most people expect the core team to go running after chats instead of improving the actual game. But if you want to do something, conceptualize what kind of active moderation official servers deservce and should have, figure out the amount of temp and permanent positions require and get dedicated people for this.

Or more bluntly: If you are sincere, don't just say "We plan on improving in this regard", get something underway that improves community reporting tools in the next patches and implement someone as a contact point who can actually act on things that spring from that.

Knight 7590 13879

If they made me an admin this would be fixed within 48 hours

81 30
  • 3 Jul
 de.tail

@ToLazy4Name said:
If they made me an admin this would be fixed within 48 hours

But according to your name...

239 287
  • 3 Jul
 idiotgod

Funny, a million random individuals buy the same game > now they are a community apparently. Which the developers of said game are in charge of admonishing or endorsing each and every position this group holds apparently, or face the consequences of the left wing propaganda machine.

how is 2019 even logic

Mercenary 1079 2000

@idiotgod said:
Funny, a million random individuals buy the same game > now they are a community apparently.

...that's kinda how that works, yeah.

Which the developers of said game are in charge of admonishing or endorsing each and every position this group holds apparently, or face the consequences of the left wing propaganda machine.

Being criticized for allowing racism and other extremist ideas to run rampant = left wing propaganda apparently. Classic.

Knight 334 777
  • 3 Jul
 AngelEyes

@Lincs said:
Ignore the "gaming journalists" and keep on doing what you're doing, friends. The more you engage with them the higher the likelihood of a fresh new fabricated "scandal" occurring.

This ++++++++ 10000

Whatever to everything else. Believe it or not there are those of us who just want a great video game made even better.

1 3

What it comes down to is there needs to be a global profanity filter. Common slurs, ethnic and racial slurs and all of their variations can all be easily filtered and then this ceases to be an issue.

I don't really think it's appropriate to ban shit talk but if you can't talk shit without trying to denigrate someone for their ethnicity or sexual orientation, you should be ashamed of yourself.

11 26
  • 3 Jul
 Salted

So let's look at this from another point of view. You, SJWs, just coming in here and literally begging and talking smack just because the game doesn't appeal to you. You threaten them. Whatever. The same shit happened to BFV. Looks where it's now. Women running about with robotic limbs on a WW2 battlefield and it's only them that you can hear with their 140 dB screams. Wow is all I have to say. You only think about yourself and YOUR needs. What about other people? The game and the world is not built around just you. Look around, there are other people other than yourself.

Let me ask you this, what's the appeal? Why do games have to suddenly become political? Especially a fucking melee slasher? This is a video game. We're here to git gud or look away from our problems in our life. Goddamn, chill the fuck out. Just because they're no women or no blacks don't mean it's the end of the world. Enjoy the game. As I said before, if you don't like it then
|
|
V
9f48ce9cb355cdd54a2236330a687ae4.png

We don't need or want your SJW complaining ass in here.

Oh, and don't forget about the most important part. Mute/motivational mute exists yaknow. Toxicity solved. Ezpz. Back to Mordhau, gamers.

Mercenary 1079 2000

@Salted said:
So let's look at this from another point of view. You, SJWs, just coming in here and literally begging and talking smack just because the game doesn't appeal to you. You threaten them. Whatever. The same shit happened to BFV. Looks where it's now. Women running about with robotic limbs on a WW2 battlefield and it's only them that you can hear with their 140 dB screams. Wow is all I have to say. You only think about yourself and YOUR needs. What about other people? The game and the world is not built around just you. Look around, there are other people other than yourself.

Let me ask you this, what's the appeal? Why do games have to suddenly become political? Especially a fucking melee slasher? This is a video game. We're here to git gud or look away from our problems in our life. Goddamn, chill the fuck out. Just because they're no women or no blacks don't mean it's the end of the world. Enjoy the game. As I said before, if you don't like it then
|
|
V
9f48ce9cb355cdd54a2236330a687ae4.png

We don't need or want your SJW complaining ass in here.

Oh, and don't forget about the most important part. Mute/motivational mute exists yaknow. Toxicity solved. Ezpz. Back to Mordhau, gamers.

Cringe, you just posted bro.

239 287
  • 3 Jul
 idiotgod

@TheKingInTheNorth said:
Being criticized for allowing racism and other extremist ideas to run rampant = left wing propaganda apparently. Classic.

Enter MORDHAU the re-education camp.

Mercenary 84 107
 VCliff

FIrst of , thanks Jax for the update. Great that you clear some stuff up thats was in the air and explain how it kinda came to these statements. Also a fuckup from PCGaming, but i dont think that was mean spirited considering the game has recieved lots of positive from the Outlet.

@Jax
At the moment we are stretched thin with major important content additions and unfortunately we do not have the staff nor systems > in->place to moderate everything to our intended level of standards. We plan on improving in this regard

Can we get a general idea what you plan for us in a foreseeable future here?

@Salted said:

(((SJWs)))

Why can people just not be retarded.

17 82
  • 3 Jul
 yeahnil

@Stouty said:
If only the players themselves had access to hide the posts from other players..

hmmmmm..

Shhh... we don't talk about constructive, simple and already usable solutions here. Snowflakes have to be protected from even the faintest of offensive statements insulting their eyes mate

Baron 1601 5077
  • 3 Jul
 Lincs

@TheKingInTheNorth said:

@idiotgod said:
Funny, a million random individuals buy the same game > now they are a community apparently.

...that's kinda how that works, yeah.

Which the developers of said game are in charge of admonishing or endorsing each and every position this group holds apparently, or face the consequences of the left wing propaganda machine.

Let's say that tomorrow, a large, high-profile group of players in a large multiplayer game - we'll use EVE Online - created a literal nazi clan and started hunting down players they deemed untermensch and mercilessly griefing them. Do the developers of EVE have a responsibility to take action in this situation? Absolutely. These players are ruining the image of the game and ruining the experience of other players.

Now let's say that instead of something that improbable, a portion of EVE players are instead toxic (and vocal about it), using slurs and insults constantly. Again, do the devs have a responsibility to do something about it? ...not really. There's nothing they can or should do without overstepping their authority. Toxicity in itself has never been a bannable offense except in extreme cases - cases which could, and should, be reported to moderators by the players, or muted/ignored by the players. The responsibility to investigate individual players doesn't fall on the developers/ moderators until a report is made.

Duke 544 898
  • 3 Jul
 Goatie

I'm OK with no toggle but your female voice lines better be on fucking point if that's the case.

1 3
  • 4 Jul
 Blu_Haze

I was interested in buying Mordhau but with all of the controversy going around I wanted to wait to see if these devs were going to have a spine and stand up to the SJW crowd.

If they did then I was going to buy the game full price to show my support.

Unfortunately it seems like they have every intention of bending the knee to the outrage machine. It isn't your job to be the thought police. Your only obligation is to give the community the tools they need to avoid the players that they personally feel are offensive.

Damn shame.

Baron 1601 5077
  • 4 Jul
 Lincs

@Blu_Haze said:
I was interested in buying Mordhau but with all of the controversy going around I wanted to wait to see if these devs were going to have a spine and stand up to the SJW crowd.

If they did then I was going to buy the game full price to show my support.

Unfortunately it seems like they have every intention of bending the knee to the outrage machine. It isn't your job to be the thought police. Your only obligation is to give the community the tools they need to avoid the players that they personally feel are offensive.

Damn shame.

How exactly did they bend the knee? They haven't changed any of their plans for the game in response to this controversy.

If you're referring to the plans to include females and darker skin colors, you're mistaken. Both things have been planned since way back in Mordhau's development, before the release of the alpha. Check the second dev blog.

16 59

@Jax said:
In light of recent publicity on the state of MORDHAU’s community, we would like to discuss our stance on toxicity and the topic of gender and race in our game.

First and foremost, Triternion does not, nor have we ever, had plans to add a customization option that would force a white male default. This is an absurd idea that stems from a misunderstanding in a recent interview by PC Gamer with two of our artists. These artists, both uninvolved with character development went into a verbal interview with minimal PR experience and ended up answering some of the questions in a misleading way, which combined with a lack of context, led to some very controversial statements. Again, we at Triternion do not, nor have we ever had any plans to implement any kind of ethnicity toggle on potential future character ethnicity customization additions.

Imagine making a medieval europe combat simulator and being surprised when people want to play as the people who were active in medieval europe combat, white males.