Mordhau

Triternion's official statement in regards to recent events

Knight 7702 14180
  • 10 Jul
 ToLazy4Name

@link_mah_boi said:

@SWSeriousMike said:
There was no mention of people cosplaying as Hitler either. Where is the toggle for that?

If enough people want it then sure!

There's very clearly demand for a gender toggle, I don't see how not having other toggles is meant to preclude it

@ToLazy4Name said:
(vid)

Don't know if you noticed but that video was not on the Steam store page. Neither was there any mention of female characters in the Steam description, or the homepage of this website, or the FAQ. https://mordhau.com/ All you could see was in big words

"MULTIPLAYER MEDIEVAL MELEE GAME"

and pictures of dudes, and only dudes, fighting.

I knew nothing about this game having female characters until I'd already bought it. And after finding out, I was fine with it because a mod told me there would be a clientside toggle. Now there's no toggle, so I'm getting something added to the game I never wanted, and wouldn't have bought if it was made known to me at release.

And there are plenty of other people who feel the same way. There's also probably people who still haven't even heard about female characters and will only find out about it when they open the game one day.

957 303

@link_mah_boi said:

@CatR said:
(strawman)

I saw the literal exact same smug behaviour from Chiv players mocking people for not wanting ballerina swings in the game. I saw the exact same behaviour from defenders of Battlefield V before release. We all know how that turned out. You can be smug all you like, but you'll be being smug in a dead game.

Mordhau's playercount is at 4,629 right now just in the first 2 months, the game can't afford to add controversial things that might potentially make players leave, without any way to turn them off clientside.

@Deadmode said:
So you assumed that there was only dudes.

The advertisement for the game showed massive amounts of male fighters with not a single female knight among them, while the description called it "medieval", "believable", and "realistic". Because Disney princess warriors are actually not medieval/believable/realistic, no female characters is a completely reasonable assumption to make.

You might as well be saying, in defense of Sauron armor being added, "well, they didn't say it WOULDN'T be in!"

Personally, I think Triternion should stand their ground and stick to their design brief and what was promised to those Kickstarter backers and followers of the project from day dot.

Those few people who backed the game on the promise of being able to play a female character will be getting to do so. An opt-out clientside toggle means almost all players in a given server see you as a female character except those who specifically do not want to do so for reasons of immersion, not wanting to hit girls, etc.

10,633 peak today

957 303

@Whitefox_YT said:

@SWSeriousMike said:
Would you be fine if the default was female black and you had the option to enable and disable everything else?

yes, had the game not been set in medieval europe?

the land of Crossbowsilvania is not Europe but based on it

957 303

@link_mah_boi said:

@SWSeriousMike said:
There was no mention of people cosplaying as Hitler either. Where is the toggle for that?

There's very clearly demand for a gender toggle, I don't see how not having other toggles is meant to preclude it

@ToLazy4Name said:
(vid)

Don't know if you noticed but that video was not on the Steam store page. Neither was there any mention of female characters in the Steam description, or the homepage of this website, or the FAQ. https://mordhau.com/ All you could see was in big words

I knew nothing about this game having female characters until I'd already bought it. And after finding out, I was fine with it because a mod told me there would be a clientside toggle. Now there's no toggle, so I'm getting something added to the game I never wanted, and wouldn't have bought if it was made known to me at release.

And there are plenty of other people who feel the same way. There's also probably people who still haven't even heard about female characters and will only find out about it when they open the game one day.

https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/1008/development-blog-3-customization/

42 67

@Antoniokontos said:

@link_mah_boi said:

@SWSeriousMike said:

@ToLazy4Name said:
(vid)

https://mordhau.com/forum/topic/1008/development-blog-3-customization/

Ah yes, the 2 year old alpha video that wasn't on the Steam store page, wasn't on the FAQ, and wasn't on the front page.

Don't pretend it's reasonable to expect people to search through 2 year old alpha footage to find out a game is promising one thing and doing another.

What is reasonable, on the other hand, is adding an optional, clientside gender toggle.

1465 1555

If your only criterion for a game is "Shall not contain women!" then it is reasonable to expect you to inform yourself whether there will be a possibility for women in the game. You didn't do that.

Minesweeper doesn't have women and the devs won't add them in the future. Could be the perfect game for you.

Conscript 227 306

@link_mah_boi said:
Mordhau's playercount is at 4,629 right now just in the first 2 months,

Dude, Mordhau's fluctuating between over 10k to about 5k constantly (probably when NA or EU wakes up/goes to sleep) and considering the game this was heavily inspired by, its doing pretty well for itself.
Also trying to imply that the game is bleeding players because muh women is hilarious. All games have a massive first turnout, then lose a substantial amount until they finally normalise. The bleed of players over time is usually due to lack of new content. If anything, this game needs the mod tools out round about now along with the customization and maps they have.

Man this whole thread is just pointless. Can we go back to talking about a comp format that isn't just skirmish?

12 15

@smug said:

@Whitefox_YT said:

@SWSeriousMike said:
Would you be fine if the default was female black and you had the option to enable and disable everything else?

Yeah a fictional setting is obviously medieval Europe. Are you Mordhau's lore director? You seem to have information no one on the planet could possibly have.

Oh, my bad. I just assumed it would be medieval Europe by the fact that each and every, single (without so much as one exception save maybe the armour patterns) inclusion in Mordhau is Historically proven to have been invented, used, and recorded in Europe, around the medieval period.

This debate is hilariously unscientific. No one is saying that Mordhau is a one million percent true to life recreation of medieval warfare. It is a video game. But the fact that it is ROOTED in European medieval warfare presupposes and requires adherence in large part to European medieval warfare. It is 100% the reason that people have purchased the title- because they see swords, they see true-to-history armour, and the want to play the game on that basis.

Just full disclosure, I am not even in the "NO WAHMEN or POC" crowd, I don't care, it's more customisation for a game I love playing- I am just stating what I would think are obvious, and undeniable facts. Crush even stated in his original "toggle" post that according to him, a developer at Triternion, "The realism argument is valid" - and it would 100% not be valid, if this game is not set in Medieval Europe.

Give me a f* break. If you've ventured so far that you no longer believe Mordhau is being played out in Medieval Europe, you are so far beyond fact that further conversing is wholly pointless, so I'll take my well appreciated leave from this absolute and inane madness. Enjoy your screeching.

523 569
  • 10 Jul
 Deadmode

@link_mah_boi said:
You might as well be saying, in defense of Sauron armor being added, "well, they didn't say it WOULDN'T be in!"

And I didn't see anything about Shreks, Hitlers, the KKK, tomatoes, Cavemen and watermelons either. By your logic I should be entitled to toggles for all of these possible customisation options too, but where the fuck do you draw the line?

Personally, I think that, if a toggle was to be added, it should just be "Enable/Disable Custom Characters" and have it blanket everything to a default avatar in default attire.

That keep everyone happy in the easiest way possible.

1465 1555

I'm no historian but I think there were women in medieval Europe.

Knight 240 1078
  • 10 Jul
 Corsario

My humble approach on this: don't change the premise of what has already been a success. What we have and what millions of people have bought has already proven to be a great success.

Any changes to the European medieval combat premise will just send the game along another trail (the fantasy trail proved bad for Chivalry when certain armours and weapons were introduced from the workshop). My opinion is that there is no need for fictional changes...

129 181
  • 10 Jul
 CatR

Aint no such thing as a "humble declarative statement", Corsario.

1 0
  • 10 Jul
 Catakill

As a new person here looking to possible purchase this game I have been reading this thread. A few post I laugh at, a few I agree with and a few I give you the finger. First off this is a PVP game where you kill your enemy that is decked out in armor. Whats the deal if it is male or female or looks darker skin? If they add that option great, if not oh well don't be so butt sore because you want to be PC and that option is not available.

My second issue is the fact that some here are SJW who want to impose censorship on banter between men. Look if you don't like what someone is saying either ignore them or stop reading it. It is not your job to filter or ban someone because you are triggered by what someone says. Its called freedom of speech. If the Dev's want to go full blown SJW on their product that is for them to decide, I'll just be playing another game because I do not agree with censorship.

This is a GAME people, for us to have fun. I want to cut a head off and talk smack because I enjoy doing so. If this is not what you like then go find something that is up to par for you. I believe the Devs are doing a great job by allowing the gamers to police the system so they can concentrate on game development. If someone takes things to far then I'm sure enough people will report them and they will be taken care of. I'm here to have fun and not have to walk on egg shells about what I say because some pansy who's nuts have yet to drop gets offended because I called someone a name.

Catakill

1 1
  • 10 Jul
 Blitzer

I would not like to see female or so called"minority" characters in a game about medieval european combat.

If you want to add a North African themed map then having Saracens/Moors would be ok.

398 593
  • 10 Jul
 smug

@Whitefox_YT said:

@smug said:

@Whitefox_YT said:

@SWSeriousMike said:

Yeah a fictional setting is obviously medieval Europe. Are you Mordhau's lore director? You seem to have information no one on the planet could possibly have.

Oh, my bad. I just assumed it would be medieval Europe by the fact that each and every, single (without so much as one exception save maybe the armour patterns) inclusion in Mordhau is Historically proven to have been invented, used, and recorded in Europe, around the medieval period.

This debate is hilariously unscientific. No one is saying that Mordhau is a one million percent true to life recreation of medieval warfare. It is a video game. But the fact that it is ROOTED in European medieval warfare presupposes and requires adherence in large part to European medieval warfare. It is 100% the reason that people have purchased the title- because they see swords, they see true-to-history armour, and the want to play the game on that basis.

Just full disclosure, I am not even in the "NO WAHMEN or POC" crowd, I don't care, it's more customisation for a game I love playing- I am just stating what I would think are obvious, and undeniable facts. Crush even stated in his original "toggle" post that according to him, a developer at Triternion, "The realism argument is valid" - and it would 100% not be valid, if this game is not set in Medieval Europe.

Give me a f* break. If you've ventured so far that you no longer believe Mordhau is being played out in Medieval Europe, you are so far beyond fact that further conversing is wholly pointless, so I'll take my well appreciated leave from this absolute and inane madness. Enjoy your screeching.

If the developers make women fighting in Mordhau battles canon then it's canon. You have utterly no control over the developer's artistic vision. All you're doing at this point is projecting your cringy and warped world views onto the developers which have made no such statements.

Sellsword 224 259
  • 10 Jul
 Redeaux

Central Asian race option WHEN?

2 3

Please, for the love of all things normal, don't conform to what the Libs want. I personally will stop (and along with many others) playing this game and encourage others not to buy it. I hope to God for your sake and your game's sake that you respect 95% of your audience's wishes and keep the game as-is. I have always loved Mordhau, and I would hate to see it throw away everything it had because some salty libtards wanted the community to conform to it's unjust censorship.

398 593
  • 11 Jul
 smug

The real people who have supported this game for 2-3+ years and even longer if you count Slasher, don't care about women being added, or were smart enough to read the kickstarter. Nor are they dumb enough or schizo/paranoid enough to believe that "lib-tards" are pressuring the developers in anyway.

No one fucking cares about your political autism.

Knight 7702 14180
  • 11 Jul
 ToLazy4Name

@OfficialStuffMinus said:
Please, for the love of all things normal, don't conform to what the Libs want.

They aren't.

3 10
  • 11 Jul
 Skullbelly

Don't let the left tell you what to do, this has happened in TOO many videogames recently, and quite frankly I'm sick of it, you shouldn't have to change just for the 0.00000001% demographic that's female.