Triternion's official statement in regards to recent events

32 22
  • 7 Jul
 Layla

Cultural marxism kills another game.

16 59

@LuxCandidus said:

@PC_Principal said:
Leave the game as it is and send a message. You're not racists or sexists because your medieval game doesn't feature out of place people of color and women.

Some people are of the impression females and darker skin tones will be added as some sort of apology or capitulation to the recent hitpiec- I mean articles that have been written about the game. This is not at all the case. It has been known since 2015 that those aspects of character customisation will be part of the game.

Instead they are capitulating on the switch to turn it off, which was promised alongside with it, until the article.

32 22
  • 7 Jul
 Layla

@Slouchmeister said:

@LuxCandidus said:

@PC_Principal said:
Leave the game as it is and send a message. You're not racists or sexists because your medieval game doesn't feature out of place people of color and women.

Some people are of the impression females and darker skin tones will be added as some sort of apology or capitulation to the recent hitpiec- I mean articles that have been written about the game. This is not at all the case. It has been known since 2015 that those aspects of character customisation will be part of the game.

Instead they are capitulating on the switch to turn it off, which was promised alongside with it, until the article.

They were submitted by cultural marxism mobs and fanboys are in denial just like when you talk about the many other issues with this game, let them enjoy the death of their precious game then.

523 566
  • 7 Jul
 Deadmode

@Layla said:
They were submitted by cultural marxism mobs and fanboys are in denial just like when you talk about the many other issues with this game, let them enjoy the death of their precious game then.

You fucking love the phrase 'cultural Marxism', don't you.

The funny thing is, it has absolutely fuck all to do with this game. Stop tinfoil-hatting around here.

Knight 7569 13855

I don't fucking understand how these people are like they are, I hate marxism more than any of them but they're all so fucking stupid holy shit

43 32
  • 7 Jul
 Alasdair

@Slouchmeister said:

@LuxCandidus said:

@PC_Principal said:

I'm sure a lot of people bought the game just for that toggle feature or purity of the experience at atsmopshere who are going to be disappointed if this bullshit is put in the game more and more layers and waves of censorship telling the community what it can't say or do in game. I shilled the game to people and got plenty of them to buy it just because how awesome the devs looked from those posts. "we aren't going to ruin your experience." to "fuck you, saving our own skin from internet activists is worth more than our customers." Weak, I bought this game because I thought the development team had a spine.

717 586

personally i play video games for the anti-censorship instead of the mechanics. a durr

Baron 1600 5073
  • 8 Jul
 Lincs

@Alasdair said:
I'm sure a lot of people bought the game just for that toggle feature

I thought your response was sarcastic at first because I can't imagine anyone saying this unironically

Knight 399 868
 Alphonse

@link_mah_boi said:

what they did with team colors was already a hundred times more "making people not see your customization" than a gender toggle would be. And yet how many threads do you see about team colors?

Talk about speaking out of your ass... Either you haven't played the game at all or you haven't customized a single character.

You can only choose 1 (ONE) set of colors for each of your loadouts. You can't choose the customization for each individual team. For example, you can make your painted helmet black and yellow, your tabard orange and cyan, your arms green and your legs purple and red.

When you jump into a team-based mode (Frontline, Skirmish, etc), the game automatically overrides 95% of the colors you picked for your loadout with blue/white and red/black depending on your team.

It anything, the toggle gives you MORE freedom to see other people's customized characters.

Mordhau's main gamemode already "undermines customization work" by disabling your team colors unless people opt in to see them.

The obvious reason is because in a team based mode you want to know exactly who your teammates and your enemies will be at a glance. The toggle was added post release. The UI marker for teammates was also added post release. They haven't added a team customization for the loadouts but they might as well do it at some point. For comparison, it took Rocket League almost 2 years to add an option to fully customize each team's car (you could just change your paint colors, not the wheels, etc) and almost 3 years to further those customization options. They also added clubs which let you customize your car and side of the pitch when your party is facing another team.

One of the key marketing points Psyonix has always made is owning up your car in terms of customization. Still, it took them years to add very popularly requested QoL settings related to customization.

They also have a color blind option which obviously overrides most customized colors. Even though supposedly 1 or 2 out of 10 people have color blindness, it took them almost 2 years to implement this feature. Nobody would argue this setting undermines customization freedom.

Conscript 227 306

@CocyxTheGaySkeleton said:
personally i play video games for the anti-censorship instead of the mechanics. a durr

personally i play video games for a sense of pride and accomplishment

40 67

@Alphonse said:
Talk about speaking out of your ass... Either you haven't played the game at all or you haven't customized a single character.
When you jump into a team-based mode (Frontline, Skirmish, etc), the game automatically overrides 95% of the colors you picked for your loadout with blue/white and red/black depending on your team.

I make lots of loadouts and have played Frontline to level 53, I know perfectly well what the game does to player character colors, as you can see from this post made before your reply. I accidentally put the word "team" in there instead of "loadout" because I was thinking about the concept of forced team colors, it was a typo. The context of the post made it clear what I meant.

The obvious reason is because in a team based mode you want to know exactly who your teammates and your enemies will be at a glance.

Either way, the fact you can give a reason to "undermine" player customization shows that it is already a line they can, and will cross.

There's a good reason for a player clientside gender toggle- plenty of people like me bought this game being promised an "immersive", "realistic", and "believable" experience, and made a decision on whether the game was immersive enough for them based on what they saw on the Steam store page, and the website. People's waifu warriors were not shown or mentioned on either of those, and unexpectedly take away from the immersion of our experience as paying customers. So it's sensible, and honest, to give players the option to toggle that visual and sound element.

And unlike the team color system overriding player colors by default with the option to toggle them back on, in this case female skins would be on by default with the option to toggle them off, meaning your loadout would still be seen as female by lots of players.

So it would be vastly less "undermining player customization" than they have already done.

Knight 399 868
 Alphonse

@link_mah_boi said:
Either way, the fact you can give a reason to "undermine" player customization shows that it is already a line they can, and will cross.

If you're going to argue for a toggle then don't bring up team colors into the discussion. You even highlighted some words in italics as if it mattered.

Forcing a semi-uniform appearance for differentiating teams is a common practice in team based game modes in pretty much every game out there. There's no line to be crossed, that's just sophist wankery.

So it's [...] honest, to give players the option to toggle that visual and sound element.

There is a video on their YouTube channel with a female character (Devlog 3@1:48).

But yeah. I don't think there's any dishonesty involved, whatsoever. I can also be a wise ass and bring up a couple fallacious sophistries into the table, just for fun.

Women are not shown in the trailer because they were not available at release. Simple as that. There is literally nothing on the trailer that flat out eliminates female models or other skin tone colors from existing in-game. It's not an exhaustive showcase of what's in the game or what will be introduced in future updates. Like how there is literally no voice commands in the trailer, yet the game does have voice commands.

The wording on the website, Steam, etc. talks about warriors, enemies and customization in a gender neutral fashion, btw.

If you're going to talk about realism and immersion, let me point out the Steam description describes the setting as fictional and one of the videos describes the look of the game as "cinematic" thanks to UE4's capabilities. I bring this up because I honestly didn't know you could observe visible light in the real world like in Taiga or Crossroads. Didn't know that a steel edged sword could cut plate armor or that a person could sprint indefinitely and never run out of stamina. Etc. etc...

How could they cross the line of realism...

Yeah, no. Everyone on the alpha knew about Female models, but whatever, I honestly don't care if there's a toggle or no, I just despise poor discussions, more so when it's so obviously a case of personal preference and that's the most transparent way to request such a feature. It's up to the devs to implement it or not. It's also up to you to not play the game if you don't like it.

46 72
  • 8 Jul
 Zeratul

This is literally the worst decision you could make. And i really dont care if you planned woman from the start, then it was a stupid decision from the beginning. And its not what sold your game, isnt it? Most true fans bought it, because its the sucessor to chivalry, and expect a similar expierence. So really think hard, what your are doing devs. If you really need to add woman, add the fucking toggle. Everything else would not be a smart decision.

40 67

@Alphonse said:
If you're going to talk about realism and immersion, let me point out the Steam description describes the setting as fictional

"Fictional but realistic" is the full quote. They also claimed "fights that look believable".

Forcing a semi-uniform appearance for differentiating teams is a common practice in team based game modes in pretty much every game out there. There's no line to be crossed, that's just sophist wankery.

Accusing me of sophistry when your whole argument is a red herring. Whether other games do team colors is irrelevant, it's still "undermining player customization", and therefore it can be okay to do things that "undermine customization" if there is a good reason.

There is a video with a female character (Devlog 3@1:48). Everyone on the alpha knew about Female models. There is literally nothing on the trailer that flat out eliminates female models

The Steam Store description clearly says the game will be "realistic" and "believable". How does a group of ~100 people being told and a 3 year old video that isn't on the store change that? A toggle would make it okay, but now they've gone back on that too.

I bring this up because I honestly didn't know you could observe visible light in the real world like in Taiga or Crossroads. Didn't know that a steel edged sword could cut plate armor or that a person could sprint indefinitely and never run out of stamina. Etc. etc...

Apart from the fact nobody sprints indefinitely in Frontline (the longest run is usually 20 seconds), this is a false equivalence. Sure, no media is literally 100% realistic, but we made the decision, from what we saw at release, that the small unrealistic elements here and there would not break our suspension of disbelief. You're comparing a weird lighting effect, or someone getting wound decals on their armour, to 25% of every server being loudly screaiming kawaii uguu waifus on a medieval battlefield.

more so when it's so obviously a case of personal preference

Oh, so now you're going to claim I'm the only one who wants this toggle? Look at the forums. And this is just the people who've heard about it. Some people won't know about this whole female characters thing until they open up their game one day and it's there.

It's also up to you to not play the game if you don't like it.

And nobody's forcing you to reply to my complaint if you don't like it. As a customer with an issue with the game that I know a lot of other players share, I'm communicating to the developers, because the best outcome for everyone involved is nobody quitting. Even players who don't care about this issue would rather have a larger playerbase so this game lives longer.

1330 1380

I still think women picking up arms is more realistic than Flesh Wound, Fireproof or couched carrots. Can't you just let the realism angle die in piece and dignity? It has seen things - ridiculous things - and longs for oblivion.

40 67

@SWSeriousMike said:
I still think women picking up arms is more realistic than Flesh Wound, Fireproof or couched carrots. Can't you just let the realism angle die in piece and dignity? It has seen things - ridiculous things - and longs for oblivion.

You don't instantly just die in real life when you lose an arm, which is why we have amputees, so living five seconds more to swing your sword around before dying from blood loss is very believable. Other people using perks like Fireproof isn't exactly damaging to your immersion when you can't even see or hear them in action. And carrots are an easter egg I still haven't actually seen in about 50 games of Crossroads. So, why this argument that "because there are minor unrealistic parts to the game, realism no longer matters at all?"

You can keep claiming that you've proven everyone wrong before, but without a link to back it up it means nothing.

717 586

u realize by realistic fights they mean like...mechanically right. they don't mean the entire game is realistic

40 67

@CocyxTheGaySkeleton said:
u realize by realistic fights they mean like...mechanically right. they don't mean the entire game is realistic

How can something be mechanically realistic? And no, you're still wrong, because the store page said "believable fights and a fictional, but realistic world."

1330 1380

So you don't have enough examples?
fighting with lutes, Bloodlust, fire bombs burning underwater, everything about the catapult, no wind whatsoever, infinite sprint duration, hideously disfigured faces everywhere, bandages, medics that drop shit instead of patching you up themselves, ammo chests, everything about horses, ...