Mordhau

Triternion's official statement in regards to recent events

Duke 5473 13074
  • 3 Jul
 Jax — Community Manager

In light of recent publicity on the state of MORDHAU’s community, we would like to discuss our stance on toxicity and the topic of gender and race in our game.

First and foremost, Triternion does not, nor have we ever, had plans to add a customization option that would force a white male default. This is an absurd idea that stems from a misunderstanding in a recent interview by PC Gamer with two of our artists. These artists, both uninvolved with character development went into a verbal interview with minimal PR experience and ended up answering some of the questions in a misleading way, which combined with a lack of context, led to some very controversial statements. Again, we at Triternion do not, nor have we ever had any plans to implement any kind of ethnicity toggle on potential future character ethnicity customization additions.

The responses given were referring to the gender part of the questions, which were based off an old controversial "gender toggle" idea, with the intention being to give the player options to play the game with only female characters, only male characters, or both. This concept was brought forth by one of our developers and posted prior to the game’s release as a response to a large number of heated debates regarding the topic of realism. The idea to give players this ability was simply a theoretical solution to a difficult problem and was never intended to be the official stance of Triternion on this topic. This is a lesson for us that we must be excessively prudent with the wording we use in the future as it can be easy to misconstrue an individual’s opinions and ideas as officially sanctioned.

Shortly after launch and in internal discussions, the concept of a gender option toggle was dismissed as it would undermine the customization players work hard to create. The two artists featured in the interview were ill-informed of this decision, which was a major mistake and miscommunication on the side of Triternion; and in combination with a question on a sensitive issue of which they were underprepared to answer, strongly contributed to this misunderstanding. Our official stance is that these toggle options are out of the question.

In regards to community toxicity, we do not have prior experience managing communities of this size, nor the manpower or resources that established studious can leverage. Our team consists of 11 first-time developers working remotely and volunteer moderators who try their best to curb this toxicity and behavior across all platforms, including in-game. At the moment we are stretched thin with major important content additions and unfortunately we do not have the staff nor systems in-place to moderate everything to our intended level of standards. We plan on improving in this regard. We hope our players understand our situation and will continue to place their faith in us, as improving these things will take time.

Duke 5473 13074
  • 3 Jul
 Jax — Community Manager

This topic has been pinned.

129 180
  • 3 Jul
 CatR

Very nice to hear. Is there an ETA on improving these standards, or possibly an intent to acquire more volunteer moderators?

2 53

Just let boys be boys. People that can't take banter will be filtered out. Begone with the SJWs.

Duchess 774 3448
  • 3 Jul
 Stouty

If only the players themselves had access to hide the posts from other players..

hmmmmm..

3 14

Seem's like we boys can't be boys anymore :/

21 44
  • A little moderation can be of use but look for a balanced solution like an optional global profanity filter because "First they come for your words, then your right to criticize".

• Decide if you want to keep the European atmosphere or release future expansions featuring Asian warriors (samurai), Middle Eastern warriors and many more. The potential is there.

• And lastly thank you Triternion for your honesty and your hard work. You go Sir!

2 3

What about crush responding to a post on the steam forums post-release citing realism as a reason for a client-side toggle for female models?

Edit: got the dates wrong on when crushed responded to this, was pre-release and therefore covered in the statement

72 73
 Tr1bal

@dustytretch said:
What about crush responding to a post on the steam forums post-release citing realism as a reason for a client-side toggle for female models?

that's like, his opinion, dude

This comment was deleted.
Baroness 19 87
  • 3 Jul
 Kreittis

Hitpiece or not, I'm disappointed in retracting the gender toggle options.

60 178
  • 3 Jul
 Clyde

You've already done well on the market what power do these people have over you and your team? They do not and you should not give them any power over your team But if you do are people who dislike the potential social justice or censorship of in-game chat? I don't want my money going to anti-whites cowards who capitulate to leftist journalists. If you have chosen to appeal to leftists journalists and not your own community, I would like a refund, because I don't want to support your current or future games, and will not. I bought your game under the assumption you would stand up to these people, and just provide a quality product, Not cow to leftist mobs. I respect the creators enjoy the work you've created and want you to do well but I can not and will not support them if they capitulate to the leftist gaming lying press, and destroy the european identity of the atmosphere of their game, and censor their community in any capacity. Thanks for updating us, but I'm disappointed your capitulated or even listened to these people at all because they have no power over your team.

Mercenary 1075 1997

@Jax said:
In light of recent publicity on the state of MORDHAU’s community, we would like to discuss our stance on toxicity and the topic of gender and race in our game.

First and foremost, Triternion does not, nor have we ever, had plans to add a customization option that would force a white male default. This is an absurd idea that stems from a misunderstanding in a recent interview by PC Gamer with two of our artists. These artists, both uninvolved with character development went into a verbal interview with minimal PR experience and ended up answering some of the questions in a misleading way, which combined with a lack of context, led to some very controversial statements. Again, we at Triternion do not, nor have we ever had any plans to implement any kind of ethnicity toggle on potential future character ethnicity customization additions.

The responses given were referring to the gender part of the questions, which were based off an old controversial "gender toggle" idea, with the intention being to give the player options to play the game with only female characters, only male characters, or both. This concept was brought forth by one of our developers and posted prior to the game’s release as a response to a large number of heated debates regarding the topic of realism. The idea to give players this ability was simply a theoretical solution to a difficult problem and was never intended to be the official stance of Triternion on this topic. This is a lesson for us that we must be excessively prudent with the wording we use in the future as it can be easy to misconstrue an individual’s opinions and ideas as officially sanctioned.

Shortly after launch and in internal discussions, the concept of a gender option toggle was dismissed as it would undermine the customization players work hard to create. The two artists featured in the interview were ill-informed of this decision, which was a major mistake and miscommunication on the side of Triternion; and in combination with a question on a sensitive issue of which they were underprepared to answer, strongly contributed to this misunderstanding. Our official stance is that these toggle options are out of the question.

In regards to community toxicity, we do not have prior experience managing communities of this size, nor the manpower or resources that established studious can leverage. Our team consists of 11 first-time developers working remotely and volunteer moderators who try their best to curb this toxicity and behavior across all platforms, including in-game. At the moment we are stretched thin with major important content additions and unfortunately we do not have the staff nor systems in-place to moderate everything to our intended level of standards. We plan on improving in this regard. We hope our players understand our situation and will continue to place their faith in us, as improving these things will take time.

Rampant toxicity has been a problem and, for quite some time, even actively allowed on the forums. The biggest criticism I have is that you didn't seem to care then since there were an insignificant amount of people, even when warned about the bad PR this would inevitably cause. But I'm glad you released this statement and I just praise Jebus every day that the media haven't found certain threads that will not be named here yet.

1083 6138
  • 3 Jul
 crushed — Art

@dustytretch said:

It is explained in the statement, the idea was thrown out months ago and the recent press articles have nothing to do with this decision.

Duchess 774 3448
  • 3 Jul
 Stouty

@dustytretch said:

What about it? I don't personally agree with implementing this but it's an interesting approach to a large number of complaints. Funnily enough this toggle would have worked both ways so you could play with only women in game as well, obviously the journos went straight at the white male gamer attack and decided to throw in race as well for maximum outrage

3 17
  • 3 Jul
 Bauer

You have a great thing going here. Focus on adding content and not micromanaging your community. You made ignore features so people can deal with trolls themselves easily and efficiently. Really bad or multiple offenders can be reported and banned with evidence.

Anything you do will never be good enough for these people currently attacking you and your game. Even with your latest statement you have not appeased these people in the least. You could regulate your community with an iron fist and they will still find a reason to attack you. Just take a stroll to the forums these people reside in and you can see this plain as day. This isn't about making your community less toxic or better, this is about power.

Regarding the "gender toggle" I won't use it but if it is easy to do maybe you will reconsider adding it because more options are always better and it would be a harmless way to compromise with everyone. I could see people that would want such a thing and being denied it trolling and harassing female characters in-game. You can't take away people's ability to be assholes.

Love your game and thank you for all your hard work!

Knight 138 303
  • 3 Jul
 Sir Boring

My employers always told me not to speak to journalists, as those guys will always do something to spark drama. Truly annoying.

I definitely get the stand point of wanting a toggle and the stand point of wanting a filter. You can't appeal to everyone and there will always be people complaining, but at the end of the day, if they don't have something better to play, they'll get used to any changes you make and will continue to play the game.

Slurs and vulgar behavior are just bad form, I think. I wouldn't say they're actually racist or sexist, just a weirdo looking to annoy people, in which case they have a dozen other ways they can do that. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to removing one of those ways by adding a filter. There's nothing to be gained by talking in such a foul manner.

Toggle for gender and race? Honestly sounds pretty silly at initial thought, but I get the reasoning. I'm not for that though. It's annoying to spend tons of time and effort customizing only to have it tossed aside. Maybe some people will find the voice commands annoying, but I'm pretty sure I'm the most frequent voice command spammer on the West Coast, so I get a lot of complaints just using what we have now. I'm pretty sure you guys added the K to mute during Alpha just for me. That's pretty hilarious.

I figured your team of 11 would have expanded by now. Have you not hired any more content creators yet? Having a group focused on new maps or just mod support would be great. Surely you guys have the money to hire some people now.

9 6
  • 3 Jul
 Cynath

What would have been so wrong with a toggle to hide women? At least in FH they are done in a way they are barely different than male characters and usually covered with armor, whereas here I bet it will be a bunch of half naked chicks running around.

Mercenary 1075 1997

@Stouty said:

@dustytretch said:

Funnily enough this toggle would have worked both ways so you could play with only women in game as well, obviously the journos went straight at the white male gamer attack and decided to throw in race as well for maximum outrage

The toggle idea was a direct response to dudes demanding that women not be added. You can dress it up by saying 'well, you can also toggle just females' but that's not really the point. How many people have you seen asking for this game to be females only? I'm glad they abandoned this idea.

They throw race in there because, in case you missed it all these years you've been here, it's a bit of an issue in this community and especially on the forums (particularly pre-politics ban, but it's still not moderated that strictly). Honestly, besides overreaching by going after the Kniggas thread and misinterpreting statements from (apparently) uninformed Triternion staffers, the article made some fair points that have been made by plenty of others on this forum and elsewhere in the past.

Duchess 774 3448
  • 3 Jul
 Stouty

@Cynath said:
whereas here I bet it will be a bunch of half naked chicks running around

What's the problem exactly? You're sounding kinda SJW bro