Mordhau

Word Filter is a Bad Idea

71 49

I originally worded this post to make a point using a joke, but I think a more serious post is required due to the negative replies I got soon after I made it. Word filters in-game will not work. Trolls are adaptive, and will change their phrasing to get around it. They may use funky symbols, spacing, or even words that are not vulgar, but sound similar. They may even create code words that mean something else. And finally, word filters are bad because they will also prevent well meaning people from talking too. If you try to edit the filter so it is so severe that it can cover alternate words, it is going to end up making it harder to speak in general without getting warnings. If the filter also hands out automatic punishments, trolls will do all they can to trick other players into saying things that the filter will punish them for. If the filter simply blocks out words and replaces them with some sort of symbol, that is not stopping the problem. The problem is not words people are using. People can still harass others without using vulgar language at all.

• 3 Jul
 SerJaGGsaW
This comment was deleted.
Mercenary 1144 2089
403 601
  • 3 Jul
 smug

Imagine banning botas and not this guy.

61 39
  • 3 Jul
 Ethan

?
Please no

71 49

@SerJaGGsaW said:

Interesting opinions. Of course, I can't take you seriously. There are several things that you could be:

• A journalist who is intentionally spamming racist nonsense on this forum, to reference later in an article bashing this game community.
  • A "social activist" who thinks that brigading and causing conflict is a good way to resolve differences in society.
  • A troll who realized that this community has a lot of people arguing, and is intentionally trying to stir the pot because you think its funny.
  • An actual white supremacist.

Literally all of the categories are a waste of my time to even try talking to. This is the end of our discussion.

Mercenary 86 109
  • 3 Jul
 VCliff

Implying there havent always been users like SerJaGGsaW here.

71 49

@VCliff said:

Considering he showed up first after that article came out... come to your own conclusions.

403 601
  • 3 Jul
 smug

No he's been here well before the article.

71 49

@smug said:
No he's been here well before the article.

You are right, I didn't see his entire post history. Though, that still doesn't change the fact that he is a waste of time. Everything I said is still true.

Mercenary 86 109
  • 3 Jul
 VCliff

@JC said:

@VCliff said:

Considering he showed up first after that article came out... come to your own conclusions.

Theres no (((Media))) conspiracy around this lol, hes been here since May and his style hasnt really changed. We had Holocaust deniers here a few years ago ffs.This forum alsways had a very lazisse faire approach to moderation. No wonder if we gonna get flooded with a bunch of unhinged users.

Also literally no fucking Gaming Outlet is gonna false flag a fucking Melee Slasher forum, if you think the entire Outrage has been fabricated you are probaly off medication. There have been dozens of threads here and in the Mordhau subreddit about toxicity.

71 49

@VCliff said:

@JC said:

@VCliff said:

Theres no (((Media))) conspiracy around this lol, hes been here since May and his style hasnt really changed. We had Holocaust deniers here a few years ago ffs.This forum alsways had a very lazisse faire approach to moderation. No wonder if we gonna get flooded with a bunch of unhinged users.

Also literally no fucking Gaming Outlet is gonna false flag a fucking Melee Slasher forum, if you think the entire Outrage has been fabricated you are probaly off medication. There have been dozens of threads here and in the Mordhau subreddit about toxicity.

Yes I replied further down, that I was wrong and he was here earlier than a few days ago.

Anyways, people are sometimes more than what they appear on the surface, especially on the internet where you can be anonymous and do things like use sock puppets over a VPN. There is no conspiracy there, as this happens all the time. It is impossible to tell if people like this are trolls or are being serious, but regardless that sort of antisemitism should not be allowed. I am glad that guy's posts were cleaned.

I'll try to get back to the point I was trying to make in this thread originally. The toxic situation in this game is very annoying, and it is obvious that the developers are dealing with a lot. I appreciate the care they are putting into this situation. I am glad that the developers are not considering a word censor, because as I am trying to joke about in this post, it will not actually stop people from being toxic. I do agree that things need to be done, but it is not that simple.

717 604

a large subset of gamers are socially inept and yearn for external validation so they will often copy their peers. if one dude says the n word, a bunch of other dorks will take this as their cue to also chime in with insufferable dumb garbage. most actual video game corporations have noticed this behavior and that's why most online games have some sort of word filter in place, cause it's the easiest way to subvert that sort of mentality. by not having slurs be censored it's basically inviting this sort of thing — in fact it's normalizing it. it's far from a perfect system but unless they come out with a vaccine for stupidity this is probably the best way to do it.

102 72
  • 3 Jul
 smokratez

If words hurt you, you should stay off the internet.

129 181
  • 3 Jul
 CatR

Jordan Cranberry is right about false flagging. I'm a false flagger, I'm working for the French king to incite a war between the local English settlements and the Spanish navy as we speak. Using a VPN has made war profiteering easier than ever, and the worst part is that as long as I can change accounts I sail for full mast every day.

Mercenary 1144 2089

@smokratez said:

bikbrain.jpg

717 604

@smokratez said:

who said anything about words hurtin ppl. i'm talkin about 12 yr olds trapped in the body of the lovechild between a down syndrome caveman & a rat. u don't have to jerk off to political correctness to think these racist "people" are absolute retards and don't want whatever passes as a "thought" in their vacant sugar plum heads to pollute any actual interesting discussion

honestly instead of a word filter i'd want them to just get outright banned, but word filters would be a good start

Knight 2608 6914

@CocyxTheGaySkeleton said:
& a rat.

how fucking DARE you

717 604

@Rattsknecht said:

@CocyxTheGaySkeleton said:
& a rat.

how fucking DARE you

what! rats are cute. it's the combination of the caveman bit is what makes them fuckin...circus freak ppl

45 105
  • 3 Jul
 Degeneracy

@JC said:
I originally worded this post to make a point using a joke, but I think a more serious post is required due to the negative replies I got soon after I made it. Word filters in-game will not work. Trolls are adaptive, and will change their phrasing to get around it. They may use funky symbols, spacing, or even words that are not vulgar, but sound similar. They may even create code words that mean something else. And finally, word filters are bad because they will also prevent well meaning people from talking too. If you try to edit the filter so it is so severe that it can cover alternate words, it is going to end up making it harder to speak in general without getting warnings. If the filter also hands out automatic punishments, trolls will do all they can to trick other players into saying things that the filter will punish them for. If the filter simply blocks out words and replaces them with some sort of symbol, that is not stopping the problem. The problem is not words people are using. People can still harass others without using vulgar language at all.

Um, sweaty? I just spent three minutes combing through all of your forum posts from the past two weeks, and oof, that's a yikes from me. I literally can't even right now. Oh sweat summer child, you do realize you are making me lose all faith in humanity? I'm literally shaking rn. Lets unpack this. It's almost as if maybe, just maybe, your toxic, problematic behavior towards minorities is because someone hurt you. Just shut up and listen. It's called being a decent human being, and as a zweihander player, YOU ARE NOT WELCOME HERE.

Let that sink in.