Mordhau

Some Problems i have with Mordhau but could be solved

8 5
 GlaroGer

Mordhau is a great game, but it could be greater. Here are my thoughts:

• "Horse bubble" is way to big. Also the spear doesnt have to touch me if the horseman hits me, it counts... wtf
  • Weapons: Rapier should be nerved in sense of slower stab speed, the new warhammer alt mode is rly not worth it - a rework would be nice, executioner sword should do less dmg
  • Pls no joke maps like crossroads any more. A green hilly map with a few barricades and no advantage for a side would be rly nice. Also it would be nice to have more than 1 middle point, so the crowd is splitting up a bit
  • The chasing-mechanic was nerved way to much. Its not worth any more to hunt a coward if he is a full armor lvl beneth you
  • Maybe the blunt weapons should also go through enemys (why does axes have this benefit?), sadly its rly hard to use blunts against 1vsX, with this change the maul should be nerved in dmg
  • Smaller official servers would be nice, like frontline with 40 or 50 players, so theres not such a big gank
  • Also the other modes like teamdeathmatch or skirmish should get their own buttons at the main menu. I cant understand why those great modes dont deserve to be next to their big brothers
  • Another thing i have forgotten about: the automatic trebuchets at camp... why do they even exist? They re just annoying.
  • Why does the kick do 10 dmg? Thats huge... and another thing: not even a active block is sometimes needed to hit your oponent because of the recovery time... i mean if i block activeley and get kicked - OK - fair, but if i dont actively block a kick shouldnt do this mini stun.
    And yeah i know theres a counter kick... good for duels, but in a 1vsX its simply not possible because if you counter-kick you get hits from the other enemys

I know everybody can write his thoughts, but i think with 1750h Chivalry and now nearly 400h Mordhau my thoughts should get a lil attention.
Thx for reading and i hope to see some changes in the future.
Best regards

523 566
 Deadmode

@GlaroGer said:

• Weapons: Rapier should be nerved in sense of slower stab speed, the new warhammer alt mode is rly not worth it - a rework would be nice, executioner sword should do less dmg

Rapier is ok, I think. Can't comment on warhammer. Executioner's sword IRL was designed to cut through flesh and bone cleanly in one swing, now whilst it never saw combat, it's a pretty powerful blade with a lot of damage potential. Also, its damage is offset my its timings and inability to combo. I think the Exec is in a really nice place.

@GlaroGer said:

• Maybe the blunt weapons should also go through enemys (why does axes have this benefit?), sadly its rly hard to use blunts against 1vsX, with this change the maul should be nerved in dmg

A big no from me dawg.

Axes are still a cutting weapon, hence they cleave. Hitstop weapons are there for a reason; They are blunt objects and have no way of cutting through something. This is often offset with large dmg output, expecially against armour, and also they have added cleave on kill. I think it's fine as is.

If you are struggling to use blunts in 1vX, either adapt your playstyle or change weapon. Don't try and change a perfectly fine mechanic because you can't use a blunt weapon effectively.

8 5
 GlaroGer

Another thing i have forgotten about: the automatic trebuchets at camp... why do they even exist? They re just annoying.

@Deadmode:

• Rapier is not ok, as advanced player i know how to fight against, but i can see why newbies are just out of options against it.
  • The Executioner: i know what is its purpose in RL, but that doesnt make any sense to the gameplay. I would go for this dmg against no armor and lvl 1 armor, but this dmg also against lvl 3 with this range is not balanced. A simple noob weapon for frontline to get some kills.
  • Ever tried to hit an axe against a target? Spoiler: it also will get stuck. Its not like a sword where nearly the entire thing is the blade and you can simply draw it back. Only because its having an edge doesnt make it cutting through.
  • You say blunt weapons shouldnt do the same as swords and axes... because of its dmg potential... ok. But what about the Waraxe? 2hit weapon just like the eveningstar. What about the Pole Axe? You need 3 hits with its blunt side (exept you aim for the head) and not like the waraxe only 2. Its more like the bearded axe, but with this weapon you can cut through... wheres the big advantage?? Cleave on kill is a joke. I am good at 1vsX fights, but its just so much easier with swords and axes, than it is with blunt weapons. And i wrote a downgrade for the maul with this change so it wouldnt be op.

Thats clearly not a perfecty fine mechanic. Its made with a thought behind, yes, but in terms of gameplay the axe also should get stuck if you use this logic. So why even do this?

523 566
 Deadmode

@GlaroGer said:

• Rapier is not ok, as advanced player i know how to fight against, but i can see why newbies are just out of options against it.

If the rapier is hard to counter until you learn how to overcome it, that's totally acceptable. Don't dumb down the game and lower the skill-ceiling to suit low-skilled players. This game is meant to take time to learn and master.

• The Executioner: i know what is its purpose in RL, but that doesnt make any sense to the gameplay. I would go for this dmg against no armor and lvl 1 armor, but this dmg also against lvl 3 with this range is not balanced. A simple noob weapon for frontline to get some kills.

The Exec is a very good weapon in many scenarios. Sure, it's not a realistic application of the weapon, but it's a game. The sword cutting through lvl3 is fine, especially seeing as many other weapons do the same. Plate in this game isn't like real plate. As mentioned, the slow timings of this weapon and its inability to combo heavily offset its damage output. It seems pretty well balanced in my opinion and this is reflected in its use in Frontline, duelyards and comp modes alike. It's not overpowered and not underpowered.

• Ever tried to hit an axe against a target? Spoiler: it also will get stuck. Its not like a sword where nearly the entire thing is the blade and you can simply draw it back. Only because its having an edge doesnt make it cutting through.

This depends entirely on the material being struck. you're clearly just thinking of wood. Either way, an axe is a chopping/cutting weapon, not a blunt instrument.

• You say blunt weapons shouldnt do the same as swords and axes... because of its dmg potential... ok.

No I didn't say that at all. I said that hitstop weapons cannot cleave.

But what about the Waraxe? 2hit weapon just like the eveningstar.

Now the War Axe is a heavier axe than the Battle Axe and so has more damage output, similar to that of the Exec, but is massively limited by its range. The Evening Star is a massive fucking mace with decent range and is absolutely devastating, which makes up for its inability to cleave.

What about the Pole Axe? You need 3 hits with its blunt side (exept you aim for the head) and not like the waraxe only 2. Its more like the bearded axe, but with this weapon you can cut through... wheres the big advantage??

3 htk is very good. You forget that the poleaxe also has a very strong stab to go with it's blunt alt-mode.

Wtf is the bearded axe?

Cleave on kill is a joke. I am good at 1vsX fights, but its just so much easier with swords and axes, than it is with blunt weapons.

You have to fight differently in 1vX with blunt weapons than swords as a result of the hitstop. That's common sense. If you were able to improve with blunt weapons like the ES then you'll find you can dispatch enemies very quickly, somewhat mitigating your need for cleave.

And i wrote a downgrade for the maul with this change so it wouldnt be op.

The Maul isn't OP. Like the WA, it's range is very limited which means you need to facehug and aim for the head, which limits your readability of opponents. It also cannot combo, another massive downside.

Thats clearly not a perfecty fine mechanic. Its made with a thought behind, yes, but in terms of gameplay the axe also should get stuck if you use this logic. So why even do this?

Obviously my post and reply here shows I disagree and think blunt weapons and the hitstop mechanic are fine and work well to balance out the weapons and add variety to the gameplay styles needed to master each.

8 5
  • 9 Jul
 GlaroGer

A tip: read the thing as whole and not the single sentences. You ripped it out and said things like Maul op what i never said. I said Maul wouldnt be OP when the blunt weapons could slash through when he gets a lil nerf. So pro: slashing through - contra - lil dmg reduce. Thats a whole different thing.
And i see you have clearly another opinion and think i am probably a noob, only in this way i can see your answers. I ve got 1700h chiv and now 400 mordhau so i ve seen a lil bit of the game.

Your point of rapier is that you have to learn2play against it cuz its a hardcore game... wtf. that has nothing to to with the object. Its simply imba because you can use it as noob to ez kill others who dont know how to fight against. Thats the simple truth. Other weapons dont have this advantage of incredible stab speed with rly good dmg.

You say the Ex is good, yeah, thats my problem with it. Its too good. In Frontline you dont need to do many fancy combos, its enough to swing your single attacks into the crowd... not rly nice skill based weapon

Because of the Axe: no i dont speak only of wood. I mean a human torso for example. And if you say an axe is able to slip off heavy armor... guess what: blunt weapons can get into same situations.

Cuz of the axe thing: you say an axe can cut throuth things... thats maybe right if you cut an arm off, but otherwhise they WILL get stuck into lets say gambeson/leather/human torso etc.

The Waraxe: clearly one of the best weapons ingame. Its lil range is not rly a problem for good players at all. Its simply a 2 hit weapon and its not important what armor you opponent wears, just hit on the torso (or head). With this thing its not a problem to kill 3 guys in 1 hit. THATs not possible with a blunt weapon (only exception is Maul).
That changes the game drastically. Yeah the Eveningstar has a good reach, but its not that easy to use. The Eveningstar wouldnt be this horrible with the ability to slash through and if so, reduce dmg.

The pole axe thing told me you have not seen the meaning behind my words: its not about the pole axe as weapon, its about the limited ability if you are not able to cut through in connection with the dmg. I never said the Pole Axe is weak, it was just an example for the main problem of the blunt weapons.

So now you wanted to tell me how i have to fight against more enemys with a blunt weapon xD ok as i write in the beginning: I KNOW IT, and i ve done it multiple times. And i ve good k/d's with blunt weapons too, but its simply much harder.

Lastly i agree with you that we both dont agree with each other. In my opinion it wouldnt make a difference if blunt weapons could cut through (and if, do a dmg reduce). If you want a "realistic gameplay mechanic" the axes should get stuck too, cleave on kill should be ok.

523 566
 Deadmode

a tip: People can disagree with you, and when you make your opinions known or offer suggestions on a public forum, people can disagree with them.

I disagree with literally everything you say on the points me and you discussed.

Let's just leave it there for you and me on this subject. I don't want to hog your thread going back and forth.

8 5
  • 9 Jul
 GlaroGer

I have no idea how you came up with the idea that i dont let other guys their opinion (last sentence of my latest post), but hey.

Another thing that bothers me:
Why does the kick do 10 dmg? Thats huge... and another thing: not even a active block is sometimes needed to hit your oponent because of the recovery time... i mean if i block activeley and get kicked - OK - fair, but if i dont actively block a kick shouldnt do this mini stun.
And yeah i know theres a counter kick... good for duels, but in a 1vsX its simply not possible because if you counter-kick you get hits from the other enemys