Mordhau

Developers it is long passed time for an ETA on.... anything

Knight 399 868
 Alphonse

not at all how real life works

make all that stuff up

Well, I worked in game development for several years. Ex girlfriend was a community manager at a constantly expanding e-commerce site and I know people in software developemnt. Bunch of friends are actually game devs at different small companies trying to push new titles.

I can infer how some of those experiences (many of my own) may transfer to Triternion.

If you want, you can refute my post with an actual argument or ask a clarification about some of the points I made.

33 71

What I find funny is that there IS new info on the updates as Jax often answers questions on stream but if you don't watch his full streams you wouldn't know. There are also often dev answers in obscure threads but once again finding these is hard.

16 12
  • 6 Jul
 Archer

@Six_Blasters said:
What I find funny is that there IS new info on the updates as Jax often answers questions on stream but if you don't watch his full streams you wouldn't know. There are also often dev answers in obscure threads but once again finding these is hard.
A thread summarizing those streams would be amazing.

239 287
  • 6 Jul
 idiotgod

@Six_Blasters said:

Ya all Jax seems to do is use his position to hoard info in an attempt to lure people to his sad channel.

Baron 1600 5076
  • 7 Jul
 Lincs

The question of Triternion's size has been on my mind for a long time as well.

Why didn't you guys immediately take any kind of chunk out of those massive profits and put it towards hiring some more developers, community managers, and PR managers? Triternion is in DESPERATE need of more manpower - I can't overstate that. You're dealing with a bigger fish than you ever thought you would and your small team is no longer equipped to handle it.

Additionally, there's a huge chunk of space in the lobby that currently sits empty of anything important (if you've finished the tutorial) and looks like it's meant to hold some kind of blog on new updates, events, etc. Jax, why not start a developer newsletter embedded in the game lobby? Let us know estimated time of arrival for new maps, provide progress pictures, announce community tournaments and scrimmages with the devs, there's limitless potential there. All of that would make it feel like Trit is taking a much more active role in their community and not just ghosting us until they have an update to drop out of nowhere.

383 577
 smug

why would u spend money when u dont need to? the devs are obviously fine with the way things are now. Mordhau wont become rainbow six size and will probably go down to 5k concurrent in a few months, and then they couldnt justify paying those 5-10 new people when they have no revenue stream. Yes to push content out would be ideal to have more people, but the long term you cannot really justify it. I really really dont see them going the mtx route, or that even going well with the chiv/mordhau community. Quite frankly once the SDK tools get released, Trit can basically stop doing anything related to mordhau, and develop a new and better game.

prolly an incoherent post cause im on mobile, but my main point is if Mordhau had stayed at 50-60k concurrent peak to this date then yes they should definitely start hiring, with the way things are now theres literally no point in them growing their studio. In fact hedging their bets and utilizing as little money from their profits as possible to maintain the game is probably the smartest play.

239 287
  • 8 Jul
 idiotgod

@smug said:
In fact hedging their bets and utilizing as little money from their profits as possible to maintain the game is probably the smartest play.

And firing jax

383 577
  • 8 Jul
 smug

Tbh I dunno if they pay him much, or if he even got a cut of the millions so who cares what he does or doesn't do.

119 78
  • 8 Jul
 Cence

@smug said:
I really really dont see them going the mtx route, or that even going well with the chiv/mordhau community. Quite frankly once the SDK tools get released, Trit can basically stop doing anything related to mordhau, and develop a new and better game.

They just missed out on more millions by not going the mtx route, and it also means the devs won't expand their team or the game because no revenue stream.

942 292

they should make new titles and make a Patreon or something to keep money flowing in ill gladly throw 50+ a month to help them pay bills

367 340
  • 8 Jul
 Peacerer

Even with a few new developers game would still be fkn boring. It's designed to be boring as hell.

Baron 1600 5076
  • 8 Jul
 Lincs

@smug said:
why would u spend money when u dont need to? the devs are obviously fine with the way things are now. Mordhau wont become rainbow six size and will probably go down to 5k concurrent in a few months, and then they couldnt justify paying those 5-10 new people when they have no revenue stream. Yes to push content out would be ideal to have more people, but the long term you cannot really justify it. I really really dont see them going the mtx route, or that even going well with the chiv/mordhau community. Quite frankly once the SDK tools get released, Trit can basically stop doing anything related to mordhau, and develop a new and better game.

prolly an incoherent post cause im on mobile, but my main point is if Mordhau had stayed at 50-60k concurrent peak to this date then yes they should definitely start hiring, with the way things are now theres literally no point in them growing their studio. In fact hedging their bets and utilizing as little money from their profits as possible to maintain the game is probably the smartest play.

"Don't funnel profit from people purchasing your game into improvements for said game"

Galaxy brain

383 577
 smug

What you're saying doesn't make sense.

Mordhau isn't a platform that will generate MORE money for Trit because there is nothing within the game that provides them with such. There is ONLY the initial purchase, and after we have bought their game it doesn't matter if they never release another patch if we pass steam's refund window.

Anything Trit does that futhers their game like Esports events will only lose them money. It is out of passion that they are providing us with further content not any obligation. You are acting as if Mordhau is a subscription based game. This also isn't a AAA developer so any comparisons to other games is pretty dumb.

I don't like the time inbetween updates and I think there's something else going on with Trit, because honestly one map shouldn't take this long if it was in development since release. However their team size is perfect to maintain the size of game that Mordhau will be in a couple of months. They have more developers than Valve has on TF2(5-6 actual devs last time i checked) lol, which is a game with a clear revenue stream and vastly bigger playerbase. In b4 "lmao tf2 is a dead game" if tf2 is dead what is Mordhau?

Incredibly childish to expect the Developers to throw away their earnings into slaving away for a game just because Lincs wants more milkies.

It's incredibly hillarious how Peacerer has the most cogent take on this whole situation.

Baron 1600 5076
  • 8 Jul
 Lincs

What the fuck are you even talking about, dude? Are you actually arguing that a more efficient development team and more content updates for the game will cause Triternion to lose money? That attracts new players and builds them a reputation as a reliable company.

Want to know the difference between TF2 and Mordhau? TF2 is eleven, going on twelve years old. Of course it's not a dead game, it's one of the most consistently popular games on Steam and it's my most played at something like 1700 hours. But it's so old, and gameplay is in essentially a solid state with few rebalances or content updates - it's practically a meme that the only regular updates are to the localization files. It's got a well-functioning votekick and report system, with many other player management features besides. Valve only needs to spare the handful of developers to run TF2 because TF2 practically runs itself.

Mordhau, on the other hand, is around 2 months old. There's a huge amount of content on the docket and a large, poorly- moderated community quickly building around it. There's going to be competitive matchmaking soon. Triternion absolutely needs more members.

It's actually more childish of you to try to make this a personal attack on me, too, implying I'm spoiled and want more content right this instant instead of just being concerned about the game. Kind of disappointing tbh, I thought you were one of the smarter ones here of late. Oh well.

383 577
 smug

@Lincs said:
What the fuck are you even talking about, dude? Are you actually arguing that a more efficient development team and more content updates for the game will cause Triternion to lose money? That attracts new players and builds them a reputation as a reliable company.

Ah you can meme on me but I can't meme on you? Weird man.

You're still not getting it. Of course they will lose money by hiring more people are you really trying to argue otherwise? Where else do you think their salaries will come from? Where is Mordhau's revenue stream? We can't compare living platforms like tf2 to a game like Mordhau which is more of a traditional "released as is 2000s game". Trit isn't an AAA developer with multiple games generating profits, Mordhau is literally their only game.

It's actually more childish of you to try to make this a personal attack on me, too, implying I'm spoiled and want more content right this instant instead of just being concerned about the game. Kind of disappointing tbh, I thought you were one of the smarter ones here of late. Oh well.

Childish is the wrong word maybe entitled? Trit massively expanding their development team to produce rapid patches like Fortnite is just not realistic man.

383 577
 smug

sigh delete

33 25
  • 8 Jul
 Demfr

Vacations bros vacations...

Duke 544 898
  • 9 Jul
 Goatie

You can monetize later down the track in a fair way 3-5 years after release and keep them coming back with competitive support. Using that as an excuse to not expand the team is laughable if you want a reputation among gamers and to develop future titles. Spending money wisely now to get a structured company started doesn't automatically closing doors and running out of money in like a year lol.

1339 1394

I don't think Mordhau is sold out. There will be purchases in the future if they add content and the community doesn't get worse. Most important features for growth are adequate matchmaking and interesting game modes.

Knight 7577 13875

the moment Mordhau goes on sale it will have alot more sales lmao