Mordhau

Developers it is long passed time for an ETA on.... anything

Knight 7655 14047

@Shitscrubber64 said:

@smellycathawk said:

@Shitscrubber64 said:

@Jax said:
We're really bad with timelines, we thought the game would originally come out in march 2018 - we're working on some things (new maps, ranked, etc) and they're nearing completion. We'd like to give more concrete estimates but it's hard without layers of project management and staff, as it stands at the moment we've got 9 devs all working remotely.

Assuming you already have at least the occasional Discord session with the other devs for a status update, the only missing link here would be a community manager.

If you don't have one yet, hire one.
If you already have one, fire him/her.

Screenshot (367).png

awkward

Shit, that is awkward.

Hire more.

Jax/Lazy 2020, we will Make Mordhau Great Again™ with our superior American sensibilities

127 53
  • 2 Jul
 CarnifeX

They should do way smaller updates, and also should be always able to bring some hotfixes
so the game feels more alive and players dont leave if they dont get a hotfix soon
eg. crossroads, this was an disaster in balancing, then they updated it and it was even more disaster
so it needed a hotfix again, but nothing happened now

this is generally bad, and they lose nearly half of the playerbase now since crossroads got its 2nd update
(or first officially, because i once played it without the fortress in the middle - were it was a horse map only)

at this time i was looking at playercount and it was ca. 8k, before that it was something over 20k

this should never happen, and it was an fail of the devs,
excuses or apologies doesnt matter much, if you lose such an amount of players such fast
its an disaster for both the devs and also the playerbase that stays

generally games with such a fast hype should never do updates with such a long schedule time
smaller ones, windows for hotfixes and beside that a slower project for an bigger update could be way better in my opinion

good luck, i still love the game, but even boredom sneaks in for me now with rank 60, because of the long waiting

214 178
  • 2 Jul
 Dialectic

@GAYFISH said:

@smug said:
That money went to their mortgages

The 20million+ ALL went to their 9 mortgages? I find that unlikely

Backpay, budgeting for salary going forward, steams cut, taxes, development expenses and probably servers, and also budgeting for future expenses.

My guess is they have enough to hire one or two people, but that doesnt happen instantly. They gotta find the right fit

154 98

I guess we can safely assume no patch is coming for at least a month, given Jax's above post and the fact no update estimate has been given. If the two maps/additional content(gamemodes?) were almost done we'd surely be given an estimate of 1-2 months.

That's a shame, but I'd rather and be happier waiting for a good update done right with extra time taken to address all the little things and do a better grade of work in level design rather than an update pushed out because people are complaining about waiting.

Considering the current state it'd be better to release polished content which also fixes existing bugs, rather than content which just creates more bugs and introduces no/not enough existing bug fixes.

Good news is, given the screenshots of Feitora and Castello that were posted recently appearing in a relatively completed state, we can also safely assume that the delay in the update is because they're working on some chunky game modes, bug fixes, and maybe something else as well.

777 1029

Jax, if you really have no idea when the devs will be able to release new content/patch old problems and there simply is no information ready to be released I understand that, but that doesn't mean attention can't be turned elsewhere to keep the game feeling alive from the top down.

I feel like a community-wide tourney would be really engaging.
Maybe one with a qualifier that separates players into at least 2 brackets, so you don't get people like Giru up against people who have only played the game a few hours.

If you promote something like this up on the main screen of Mordhau, where the updates usually are (like Rocket League), with the time and place and details of a semi-casual-community-tournament, I think a lot of players would get excited.

154 98

What about just positing a sneek peak pf the already published screenshots of Feitora and Castello on the splash screen of the game to let people know of the upcoming content in the works to keep them excited and engaged?

119 78
  • 2 Jul
 Cence

You don't have to estimate things if you are not able to, just occasionally show us what you are working on! Aka dev blog.

239 289
  • 3 Jul
 idiotgod

@Shitscrubber64 said:

@smellycathawk said:

@Shitscrubber64 said:

@Jax said:
We're really bad with timelines, we thought the game would originally come out in march 2018 - we're working on some things (new maps, ranked, etc) and they're nearing completion. We'd like to give more concrete estimates but it's hard without layers of project management and staff, as it stands at the moment we've got 9 devs all working remotely.

Assuming you already have at least the occasional Discord session with the other devs for a status update, the only missing link here would be a community manager.

If you don't have one yet, hire one.
If you already have one, fire him/her.

Screenshot (367).png

awkward

Shit, that is awkward.

Hire more.

Great, now you've likely scared Jax off for good, and we barely fucking see him as is.

190 95

I sent Jax a pm about 2 weeks ago asking if I can get a topic pinned about our epic modded server
~MODDED MATRIX MAYHEM~
as ppl should know about it cause its a lot of fun and offers stuff 99.9% of servers don't like admined clean chat, no racism or bullying of any kind tolerated, a touch of low gravity for 1000's of new ways to kill oponents, no team damage, low respawns, Terminator Ai's, more carnage and I've figured out a way to run a hoard mode in frontline maps so no more 1 spawn per wave bs.

We even do sum slow motion Matrix rounds every few ffa games @85% game speed that helps you learn the moves and get better and is just pure epic playing like the movie 300
You literally will not find another server that's this much fun.
We ran the same concept in cmw for yrs so its been a proven system to work for way more fun epic action than stock while improving ur skills drastically.

Not even a response from him.

IMO this is way more important to have pinned than the lute bot midi bs that's at the top as that literally does nothing for any1 playing the game but fk others out of a contributing team mate tbh.

but hey yall keep playing the same shit every1 is complaining cause that's working right???
Not.

23 10
  • 3 Jul
 Narkanin

Every game with an online component goes through this lol. Coming from ESO PvP the same complaints are here word for word that have been there for years. Bottom line is the snarky comments and hate get you nowhere. Justified or not. So keep offering constructive criticism but otherwise sit back and enjoy the ride. Expect nothing, if you don’t like what’s there then stop playing.

394 589
 smug

because ESO pvp is trash

would seriously consider any comparison to that trashfire an insult.

34 37

How hard is a weekly Dev blog with a paragraph or two about progress made that week? You have someone here with the sole title of Community Manager, and he cannot find the time to do this?

Knight 7655 14047

jax is too busy living it up with his fellow millionaires

367 340
  • 4 Jul
 Peacerer

Why are you guys so angry at developers? It takes time to make hefty updates. I could understand people don't feel sympathy for developers for their lack of communication, for their support of 2h elitism, game not ready at release etc but... game development takes time. Game was not ready to release. I said that many times during alpha, even a day before actual release. Especially i am surprised to see alpha players complaining now like it was anything different in alpha - it always took quite some time for developers to introduce new updates with new content ingame. Why do you expect it any different now? Because sales went up to the sky?

The sales were (and probably still are) amazing, Triternion got millions but that doesn't mean they will just hire more developers. I doubt they even look to hire more people. Ofc, i could be wrong. Triternion developers managed to develop game to fruitition, doing all the work, and released their game alone. It's not like they absolutely need to hire more developers now when the game is finished and released. If they managed to produce (or buy) everything by themselfs: art, music, animation, coding etc do you really think they should now hire someone just to create new maps for example? I mean, they manage to create a decent game by themselfs and they gonna hire (and pay) additional developers which will work on, for example, two or three new maps?
The decision makers don't think like that in SW development. You don't just rapidly employ more people to who you will need to give salary each month for the future to go.

I do not think you need constant updates every two weeks when the game is fun. When the game is not fun you can hire a horde of developers and push new content constantly but that doesn't guarantee to bring (old and new) customers back in droves.

247 145

guys its been 2 months since release, calm down, get a game off the steam summer sale.
i just played Ori and the blind forest (great platformer, masterpiece of a game really) and Black Mesa which i got for like 9 bucks combined.
i'm about to try out vermintide 2 which i got for cheap as well.

or you know, just have a little patience.. in these past 2 months of the games' life we've gotten a new map, some new weapons, helmets and armors (please add trimmings and patterns to these) among some balance changes, so this idea that nothing is happening is ridiculous.
they're about to add yet another map, and this one appears much larger and detailed than Crossroads.

Knight 7655 14047

Hey Zug is back

Vermintide 2 is great, it's my primary game alongside Mordhau

247 145

@ToLazy4Name said:
Hey Zug is back

Vermintide 2 is great, it's my primary game alongside Mordhau

Yes Hello again, the devs came to their senses and realized banning me for 3 months for saying a few no no wrongthink hatespeech words was objectively taking a bad action.
mr Seymour even thought i was ... well you know.

its good to be back though, gonna try to behave a bit more civilized from now on.

239 289
  • 5 Jul
 idiotgod

@ZugZugNeverEnds said:

@ToLazy4Name said:
Hey Zug is back

Vermintide 2 is great, it's my primary game alongside Mordhau

Yes Hello again, the devs came to their senses and realized banning me for 3 months for saying a few no no wrongthink hatespeech words was objectively taking a bad action.
mr Seymour even thought i was ... well you know.

its good to be back though, gonna try to behave a bit more civilized from now on.

Be nice if the devs listed the consequences for each rule broken along with the rules, instead of leaving it is up to the developers discretion for each individual incident. Meaning they can abuse the system and permaban people they just don't like while letting others have 3rd and 9th chances.

Like giru has literally streamed himself bullying forum members, bragging about trolling and spamming. Zero consequences for straight forward blatant toxicity. Then good forum members say 1 wrong thing in the devs opinion and they get a message permabanning them that doesn't even give them a reason lol.

Knight 399 868
 Alphonse

@KonyHawkProSlaver said:
How hard is a weekly Dev blog with a paragraph or two about progress made that week? You have someone here with the sole title of Community Manager, and he cannot find the time to do this?

Even though it's desirable, more so to placate the ADHD ridden young entitled gamers of today who require these updates to feel "involved" in the process or "close" to the developers or whatever bullshit they have going on in their heads, easier said than done tbqh.

First off, the community manager would need access to the same tools that the devs have. Some of these tools are paid, they can be pretty damn complex and the assets can be huge, file wise. They don't work at the same location so every change needs to be committed/uploaded to a server over an internet connection, downloaded by the other person, the person needs to be notified of when this update will happen, the time zones need to be somewhat compatible, but more importantly, the assets need to be easily loaded into the game. Maybe the development of, eg., maps is in such a seemingly basic state that they crash your computer or you need to use a bunch of commands and .ini edits just to load something into the game. Progress in game development is not lineal. You may spend a month working on the layout and 3D assets of a map, a week to make shit work and a couple hours loading it into the game, only for it to be shitty and require more work.

Artists making assets work on them on different 3D modelling software (3DStudio, Maya, Zbrush, etc). Maps are probably being worked on by the map artists and programmers in Unreal Engine and a special debug build. The screenshots usually go through some art pass (adding a watermark in Photoshop is easy but that's not always the case) in order to showcase the changes in a positive way.

So... the community manager would need some rudimentary knowledge on how to operate that kind of stuff. Otherwise you're allocating a dev's time to holding his hand on how to get screenshots and shit. Some of them may speak another language, so the communication between them would take a long time.

There's a reason Bannerlord, Cyberpunk 2077 and whatever big game you can think of don't do weekly updates just so easily. Releasing weekly content updates leads to unpolished shit, like PUBG did for ages and its numbers dwindled. DayZ tried to keep a devlog, and it failed miserably. They would add new cans of soda or a new revolver to the game and people would complain or meme about. Just imagine spending 24 straight hours working on something through different obstacles, only for a selfish ignorant cunt to criticize you for your "incompetence".

All these leads me to the next point below.

The potential backlash if the "updates" are not significant and how people will make silly assumptions because your regular gamer hardly know shit about the difficulties of game development and how chaotic it actually is, how time consuming it is to communicate changes to a different person with a different skill set, how the work pipeline of the different tools work, etc. It's already stressful and chaotic if you work with your fellow devs in the same office under a project manager or lead developer, I can't imagine what it's like doing so remotely across different languages and time zones. What if they fail to meet a release date for whatever reason?

HURR DURR YOU SPENT 2 WEEKS MOVING A ROCK AROUND. HAH! WHAT INCOMPETENT DEVS.

IMO, if you need constant updates to keep your interest, it speaks more about you as a consumer than about a developer and their product.

129 181
  • 5 Jul
 CatR

@Alphonse said:

@KonyHawkProSlaver said:
How hard is a weekly Dev blog with a paragraph or two about progress made that week? You have someone here with the sole title of Community Manager, and he cannot find the time to do this?

Even though it's desirable, more so to placate the ADHD ridden young entitled gamers of today who require these updates to feel "involved" in the process or "close" to the developers or whatever bullshit they have going on in their heads, easier said than done tbqh.

First off, the community manager would need access to the same tools that the devs have. Some of these tools are paid, they can be pretty damn complex and the assets can be huge, file wise. They don't work at the same location so every change needs to be committed/uploaded to a server over an internet connection, downloaded by the other person, the person needs to be notified of when this update will happen, the time zones need to be somewhat compatible, but more importantly, the assets need to be easily loaded into the game. Maybe the development of, eg., maps is in such a seemingly basic state that they crash your computer or you need to use a bunch of commands and .ini edits just to load something into the game. Progress in game development is not lineal. You may spend a month working on the layout and 3D assets of a map, a week to make shit work and a couple hours loading it into the game, only for it to be shitty and require more work.

Artists making assets work on them on different 3D modelling software (3DStudio, Maya, Zbrush, etc). Maps are probably being worked on by the map artists and programmers in Unreal Engine and a special debug build. The screenshots usually go through some art pass (adding a watermark in Photoshop is easy but that's not always the case) in order to showcase the changes in a positive way.

So... the community manager would need some rudimentary knowledge on how to operate that kind of stuff. Otherwise you're allocating a dev's time to holding his hand on how to get screenshots and shit. Some of them may speak another language, so the communication between them would take a long time.

There's a reason Bannerlord, Cyberpunk 2077 and whatever big game you can think of don't do weekly updates just so easily. Releasing weekly content updates leads to unpolished shit, like PUBG did for ages and its numbers dwindled. DayZ tried to keep a devlog, and it failed miserably. They would add new cans of soda or a new revolver to the game and people would complain or meme about. Just imagine spending 24 straight hours working on something through different obstacles, only for a selfish ignorant cunt to criticize you for your "incompetence".

All these leads me to the next point below.

The potential backlash if the "updates" are not significant and how people will make silly assumptions because your regular gamer hardly know shit about the difficulties of game development and how chaotic it actually is, how time consuming it is to communicate changes to a different person with a different skill set, how the work pipeline of the different tools work, etc. It's already stressful and chaotic if you work with your fellow devs in the same office under a project manager or lead developer, I can't imagine what it's like doing so remotely across different languages and time zones. What if they fail to meet a release date for whatever reason?

HURR DURR YOU SPENT 2 WEEKS MOVING A ROCK AROUND. HAH! WHAT INCOMPETENT DEVS.

IMO, if you need constant updates to keep your interest, it speaks more about you as a consumer than about a developer and their product.

When you put it like that it seems completely unreasonable and you'd be a fool to request it. But that is not at all how real life works and is quite frankly a bunch of unhinged nonsense. Why did you make all that stuff up? That's a lot of words to pretend to be knowledgeable about a subject.