Mordhau

Was playing Warband multiplayer, my first time in it

Conscript 2628 2215
  • 30 Dec '16
 vanguard

Holy shit that game is worse then Chiv, never seen such cancerous animations my entire life; I just gamble all the time because how the fuck am I supposed to read those broken ass feints?

Also, how does riposting work on that game? Seems like one handed weapons are fucking OP because it looks like they can keep the initiative forever, I parry but it doesnt seems to have any sort of effect, guy just spams my ass to oblivion. I tryied playing with multiple spears and polearms in a FFA server, I always ended up being the 4th or 5th but anyways most of the fights is just gambling and footwork, I guess that footwork is what translates a bit from chiv, even so, the momentum on that game is 2 stronk. Also, seems like I can't parry after being flinched? Some guys would combo me and I couldn't parry or chamber it, felt like the flinch animation was 2 long it gives time for your opponent to spam me without being able to deffend myself

Archers, holy shit, they are even more cancer in Warband then in Chivalry. They go into high spot and you can't reach the fuckers because you get really slow while going up slopes and thus the archer proceed to rape your face with arrows. I had to be strong not to ragequit tbh, also they deal A LOT of damage tbh, they got fucking Mosin Nagant rifles it seems

Srsly guys, how 2 warband, explain me everything pls, how 2 riposte? How do I play with weapons that are not 1h cancer? How do you even try to read those broken ass animations? I noticed that a real gud guy, that was in 1st on the server, all he did was sort of a stab feint seizure thingy that I just gambled his ass to doom, killed him a few times even! How does one 1vN in that game, seems impossible really

Also, I get like 150 ping on american servers, it looked playable but idk really I'm a fucking noob, is it playable with 150 ping? Do I need like 500h in this game just to be able to read its animations? In singleplayer I was a very happy noob, chambering bots left and right killing everyone. In multiplayer, holy fuck, the successful chambers I did was from the purest form of gamble, it was such a gamble that everytime I managed to chamber probably it was just as surprising for me as it was for my opponent.

Some guys just punched me to death! I couldnt do fuckall, it was like I got into a circle of eternal flinch, I cant footwork properly because it takes 2 years to get into full speed on this game, although sometimes I did some fine ass footwork on stabs and overheads but it was against big and slow 2h weapons. 1h simply destroyed me.

Should I keep trying to git gud or the game is effectively broken on multiplayer? Give tips to git gud in Warband pls

Baron 604 938
  • 30 Dec '16
 NewYariMeta

Yes it is pretty cancerous, I think the combat system works well with teams, but in duels skill is being able to read attacks perfectly, there is a bit of swing manipulate to make attacks faster (and harder to read) and a little footwork but thats it as far as I can tell from about 500 hours in multi (most in Napoleonic wars though) and watching good players.

That is what good (maybe top) players look like, to me it seems to be mostly muscle memory from thousands of hours, and staying calm enough to see through so many feints. It is not terrible and works great with lots of players and/or in a casual setting, but it is so reaction based in duels that I find it very frustrating, my ability to play well varies hugely from day to day, much more so than chivalry.

And yes, archers are absolute cancer, especially crossbows.

Count 1428 3246
  • 30 Dec '16
 Smokingbobs

While I love the singleplayer, and enjoy to occasionally use some multiplayer on M&B, I find the combat "deep" from a mechanical standpoint; for competitive play it works. I can't fully enjoy it, however, because the combat is as dynamic as a brick. This is why Chivalry got me hooked way better; your attacks and movements feel much less pre-defined - something that has been built upon by our precious Mordhau.

Sellsword 3582 3433
  • 30 Dec '16
 Humble Staff

I rofld hard at this post Vanguard, thank you very much.
I aquired M&B: Warband recently too and what you described is exactly what i felt but being considerable less skilled. If i wanted to do something i would have to either outreach the enemy with stabs, attack someone when he wasn't aware of me or fighting someone else or just had to use one handed weapons with shield. From time to time it would appear someone even noobier than me that i could easily kill but 80% of the people i saw were literal tornados of eternal windup with very unexpected releases and very weird looking shit. Also i enjoyed a lot picking people with crossbows as in chivalry, when you feel like the game is cheating on you there is no better way to say "fuck you" to it than by avoiding the melee bullshit.

Knight 750 701
  • 30 Dec '16
 afiNity

The animations look like from a game from 1995

Baroness 6089 6967
  • 30 Dec '16
 Sammy

Who duels in M&B? Either play Singleplayer or play massive battles online.

Baron 1226 1595
  • 30 Dec '16
 Carlo_Mano

So Chivalry isn't that shitty now, eh?

Knight 750 701
  • 30 Dec '16
 afiNity

Eh the concept of Chiv was great but the devs are incompetent af

Conscript 2628 2215
  • 30 Dec '16
 vanguard

@NewYariMeta said:
Yes it is pretty cancerous, I think the combat system works well with teams, but in duels skill is being able to read attacks perfectly, there is a bit of swing manipulate to make attacks faster (and harder to read) and a little footwork but thats it as far as I can tell from about 500 hours in multi (most in Napoleonic wars though) and watching good players.

That is what good (maybe top) players look like, to me it seems to be mostly muscle memory from thousands of hours, and staying calm enough to see through so many feints. It is not terrible and works great with lots of players and/or in a casual setting, but it is so reaction based in duels that I find it very frustrating, my ability to play well varies hugely from day to day, much more so than chivalry.

And yes, archers are absolute cancer, especially crossbows.

Holy shit these videos, I'm having feint PTSD here help, Its exactly what some guys did to me! There was this particular guy I remember well (how could I forget such traumatic experience), he had this Awpike right, and I kid you not brother, LUCIFER HIMSELF was within that body and mind.

I couldn't figure what the fuck he was doing with that spear, until that shit hit me in the face.

Chivalry is Mordhau compared to M&B tbh I mean, ok, b0ckswings are broken yes, but you guys had to see this awpike dude srsly, he was doing these crazy ass spins and feinting I couldnt really understand. Whenever I saw him I just runned away because its legit scarry

Also, I got votekicked because I was salty as fuck right, then I felt like expressing it so I said in chat "Chiv is better then this tbh". Instant votekick lmao. But then I got back to the same server and we were all friends. Exept for the awpike guy, fuck him tbh

@Carlo_Mano said:
So Chivalry isn't that shitty now, eh?

Chivalry is one of the best and most fun games I had the pleasure to play, holy fuck I still can have infinite fun with that game and now I value it even more tbh. I'll try keep playing M&B, even getting rekt by posessed awpike and feint seizures it was quite fun. I like the community as well

Knight 2230 3647
  • 30 Dec '16
 Bodkin

Maybe I've not met any super good players yet, but I've been playing this multiplayer for a couple months taking a break from chiv

It was really clunky at first until I got the hang of it. Now I do decently well with the combat mechanics. I also shoot lots of fgts so there's that. Really funny absolutely penetrating cocky cavalry players by juking their pike and then shooting them in the back of the head as they pass. That or shooting their horse dead and then beating them down with whatever your secondary is

Knight 2230 3647
  • 30 Dec '16
 Bodkin

Also vanguard you forget that in mount and blade you can chamber to prevent the spam

Count 3284 6889
  • 30 Dec '16
 DerFurst

M&B is a good game but even after a few hundred hours in cRPG, I thought that the game was really unbalanced and clunky.

You can stab through walls if you angle an attack towards the open area, then drag it into the wall itself. The tracers for spears and blades are only on the very edge of weapon for stabs.

Cav is super strong and very easy.

One handed swords have the awful ability of being nearly unreadable at point blank while feinting, and can initiate a near instantaneous left-to-right swing that catches even skilled people off guard.

Polearms are OP with their stagger bonus. If you get hit once with a polearm, you'll become stunned for a second, allowing the person who hit you to either get another free hit or for their teammates to. Really cancerous with lots of polearms swinging at once.

Archery is even more cancer in M&B since people move slowly and with momentum, making their movements easier to track. Arrows also stun, which means if you get hit once, you'll probably lose your fight or get hit by someone else's arrows.

1476 1041
  • 30 Dec '16
 mrjoe

Try Napoleonic Wars. More people, more servers, and the combat (both melee and range) is much better in my opinion. It's a DLC that costs 5 bucks. Very worth it. Not to mention the animations are much better.

Native warband MP is really unbalanced, there's no denying that.

Bannerlord's gonna kick ass though, from the gameplay videos ive seen everything looks so better.

Another thing, do yourself a favour and pick up a mod for singleplayer, they are very fun. I recommend Floris if you want Vanilla+, Prophesy of Pendor if your into that fantasy shit, AD 1257 if you wanna take over europe and the middle east, and there's a lot more that I could recommend. Oh yeah, the other DLC Viking Conquest is good too.

Knight 5575 9321
  • 30 Dec '16
 ToLazy4Name

Ripostes are based off of how long you held your parry. If you parry right before the enemy hits you, you get initiative and will be able to throw a counter before they can do another attack. If you held your parry for longer than about 1 second, then you can't counter as quickly and do not gain initiative.

Conscript 2628 2215
  • 30 Dec '16
 vanguard

I was playing with Mr. Emerald! Goddamn archer he is pretty good with bow tbh, I can't hit a lake even if I'm in it

What you say about ripostes Mr Lazy, that makes sense, I'll try it. Sounds pretty difficult, against one handed I confuse the overhead windup with the left-to-right windup. I'm such a filthy noob

Mr Joe, do you know if there is any mod that allows me to practice with any weapon against bots? I like that bamboo spear, and spears in general, but I can't get the timings right for chambering, I can't properly use their reach etc. I would love to see that training field in single player you know, but one that I can pick any weapon and practice against bots. I guess I'll buy the Napoleonic Wars then! I head very good things about it but wasn't sure if there would be servers, and if the game is playable with 150-170 ping

When I had the pirate version, I played prophesy of pendor and I thought it was really fun, I remember it being seriously hard like, there are these elfs of whatever fuck that snipe you across the map, deals HUGE fucking damage. I had a "army" of like 80 guys, we all got rekt against what, 15-20 of these elfs

Knight 5575 9321
  • 30 Dec '16
 ToLazy4Name

@vanguard said:
I was playing with Mr. Emerald! Goddamn archer he is pretty good with bow tbh, I can't hit a lake even if I'm in it

What you say about ripostes Mr Lazy, that makes sense, I'll try it. Sounds pretty difficult, against one handed I confuse the overhead windup with the left-to-right windup. I'm such a filthy noob

Mr Joe, do you know if there is any mod that allows me to practice with any weapon against bots? I like that bamboo spear, and spears in general, but I can't get the timings right for chambering, I can't properly use their reach etc. I would love to see that training field in single player you know, but one that I can pick any weapon and practice against bots.

There are a few custom servers set on the "duel" game mode that have bots sitting around that you can challenge to fight you (vanilla Warband MP, last time I checked so they might not be active anymore). Outside of that, there's obviously the single player.

King 2841 3529
  • 30 Dec '16
 Havoc

Comparing a basement brew engine further developed by a Turkish game company to Chivalry which was made with unreal engine by a more legitimate experienced dev team and a much, much larger budget. Seems legit.

Knight 5575 9321
  • 30 Dec '16
 ToLazy4Name

@Havoc said:
a more legitimate experienced dev team

L O L

King 2841 3529
  • 30 Dec '16
 Havoc

@ToLazy4Name said:

@Havoc said:
a more legitimate experienced dev team

L O L

To be fair, you're comparing a random cave dwelling Canadian to a Turkish University graduate.

1476 1041
  • 30 Dec '16
 mrjoe

@vanguard said:
Mr Joe, do you know if there is any mod that allows me to practice with any weapon against bots? I like that bamboo spear, and spears in general, but I can't get the timings right for chambering, I can't properly use their reach etc. I would love to see that training field in single player you know, but one that I can pick any weapon and practice against bots. I guess I'll buy the Napoleonic Wars then! I head very good things about it but wasn't sure if there would be servers, and if the game is playable with 150-170 ping

You can just click Host a game in multiplayer and add bots to it, I recommend setting it to duel mode. To choose any weapon just pick the teams that you want and change the amount of gold. However, if you want a mod that makes bots more like human players,

Here you go http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=830284714

You can read the directions in the description