Mordhau

Why the game population is declining and how to stop it

Knight 148 97
  • 12 Jul
 Lilboots

@ShapiroLibtardsDieTwice said:

@Mackintoke said:

@ShapiroLibtardsDieTwice said:
If you get hit by a zweihander or a head on by a spear full charge on a horse, you should be flying off it disoriented and near death.

Yeah you should be able to cut off a horse's leg or even get a headshot like a throwing knife to the eye and the Hrose shuld buckle under attacks like those. Make it more realistic.

why the devs cant do anything about toxicity, what can they do?

lol, look pal, there's no such thing as "toxicity." There is shit talking, however. Shit talking has existed since the dawn of time. Grow some thicker skin, they're just words, bud. Don't fall for that SJW bullshit, lay off the soy.

Bruh, I'm not even a soy boy or offended by dumbass words that the betas cry over. I'm not going to argue over toxicity. I've already addressed why devs cant deal with it. If you believe it doesnt exist and thats the reason why devs cant deal with it, bravo, I respect you. Don't know why you're attack me though lmao.

"No such thing as Toxicity"..... lol what game are you playing, and you saying hes on the Soy....... Shit talking is common in gaming.... which is the starting point to joining the Dark side (toxic player) Though many games have ways of dealing with it before it becomes a issue (admins, votekicks, reporting etc) that this game does not have due to ignorance and developers not listening to the community

523 566
  • 12 Jul
 Deadmode

@Minion said:
Now when most of the community is casual players and playing things other then duel, working on 1v1 and 3v3 seems like the focus is on the wrong direction.

I disagree and think the game needs those modes asap. I'm not saying the casual modes like Frontline aren't in need of work, but the comp core community is what will keep this game alive, not casuals. They need the modes first, imo.

Knight 148 97
  • 12 Jul
 Lilboots

@Deadmode said:

@Minion said:
Now when most of the community is casual players and playing things other then duel, working on 1v1 and 3v3 seems like the focus is on the wrong direction.

I disagree and think the game needs those modes asap. I'm not saying the casual modes like Frontline aren't in need of work, but the comp core community is what will keep this game alive, not casuals. They need the modes first, imo.

Thats good for now, But there are more Casuals then there are Comp players, and with this games level of skill cap, there will come a time, which isnt too far away where that skill ceiling will be the reason oncoming players will stop playing this game. So i disagree need to focus on the casual modes

523 566
  • 12 Jul
 Deadmode

Casuals are not interested in improving and becoming the comp players of tomorrow. They are just that, casuals. Keep them happy, sure, and that's needed now, I agree, but keeping those core comp players happiest is key.

Down the line and with the high skill cap the game will be as difficult as it is now to play at the highest levels, seeing as even now most of the top tier are ex chiv with 1000's of hours, and if casuals aren't interested in competitive play now then they won't be later.

LMB-smashing modes should not be ignored but should not be the focus, either.

Just my opinion though. Ideally, the team will be hiring many new faces and developing loads of new stuff so in time we would have a game that caters to all facets that Mordhau can offer. The problem is that I don't see any signs of that, so if I were to choose what would keep Mordhau in existence, I choose the comp scene.

394 589
  • 12 Jul
 smug

It seems when people found out female characters are planned, they assumed it is exclusively what is being worked on or that it is some top priority. It is not. We will probably be here in one year, still waiting for female characters.

That sort of time estimate is horrific.

This isn't the sort of info I would be giving out...

Seriously...you know how long 1 year is in gaming time?

Knight 7631 14008
  • 12 Jul
 ToLazy4Name

@smug said:

It seems when people found out female characters are planned, they assumed it is exclusively what is being worked on or that it is some top priority. It is not. We will probably be here in one year, still waiting for female characters.

That sort of time estimate is horrific.

This isn't the sort of info I would be giving out...

Seriously...you know how long 1 year is in gaming time?

What lmao why is that horrific

394 589
  • 12 Jul
 smug

Waiting 1 year+ after release for a customization option that was stated to be included since the kickstarter campaign is somehow not horrific? I'm willing to cut Trit some slack, but most others won't be so kind.

Put it into perspective mate, replace female models with any other feature.

If they're going to take this long for female models, how long will they take for the SDK? Ranked? Future features? A fucking TO map?

Knight 7631 14008
  • 12 Jul
 ToLazy4Name

@smug said:
Waiting 1 year+ after release for a customization option that was stated to be included since the kickstarter campaign is somehow not horrific? I'm willing to cut Trit some slack, but most others won't be so kind.

Put it into perspective mate, replace female models with any other feature.

Yeah if I replaced female models with something that actually matters I might get it lmao

They have much more important shit to worry about for quite a long time, content relating to the gameplay is much more urgent

34 37

@Lilboots said:

@Deadmode said:

@Minion said:

Thats good for now, But there are more Casuals then there are Comp players, and with this games level of skill cap, there will come a time, which isnt too far away where that skill ceiling will be the reason oncoming players will stop playing this game. So i disagree need to focus on the casual modes

Ranked game modes are good for all skill levels.

Something that frustrates some new players is getting stomped by "unreadable" animations when loading into their first frontline match. Chiv had this problem, too. Real ranked matchmaking would separate god-tier players from the new players and give everyone an evenly skilled enemy. They should have made a team objective or smaller Frontline ranked mode as well as ranked duels and small team skirmishes available on release.

Chiv had a terribly half-baked solution that seemed to help until players were unleashed into the level 15+ servers and the same problem arose. Both of these games need real Elo / MMR systems that match player skill, not hours logged. Mordhau had the population to make this possible at launch, but at this point, it'd be wise to combine ranked release with a Steam sale to make it work.

100 52
  • 12 Jul
 Minion

Ranked mode is going to split an already shrinking pop, the few that want the system just want a number on a board to brag about, the game is never going to make esport, it's just not entertaining to watch. The devs are going to have to make a choice in the future, continue the way it is or draw in new crowds.

394 589
  • 12 Jul
 smug

Ranked 1v1(1v1 period) in any game is a niche format. The vast majority of Mordhau players are not 1v1 players. In my opinion Mordhau is first and foremost a team game, and having ranked 1v1 be the first ranked mode is going to give people the false impression that duel is the end all be all when its not. The game right now just isn't balanced enough for dueling to be a true metric of skill, and if they don't ALSO release a balance patch along with ranked it will just expose the flaws to a wider audience. Right now I can grab a bastard sword/buckler and put my opponent in a Non Feinted Attack/Morph/ Morph Feint/ Reg Feint vortex of mixups at neutral which is virtually unreadable because of latency + the nature of 1h animations. It's just not competitive, and I've beaten people who I have no business consistently beating just because how powerful this gameplan is. The only reason you don't see this loadout constantly in duelyards is because it's boring as fuck to play, most people play to improve not to win in duel servers, but you WILL see this in ranked because autistic esports points are at stake.

Ranked is a good feature, but I don't think Mordhau has a big enough player population to sustain the queues, and if we're counting on Ranked bringing back a substantial amount of players who have dropped the game a 1v1 format won't accomplish that.

16 59

@Minion said:
Anything related to the duel/comp side should have been benched to fix the main game. The devs at this point seem like their hitting the whole eyes bigger then their belly point

Duel and comp ARE the main game

243 139

the game population is declining because of social justice horseshit getting them banned from popular servers, or even something objectively unfair, such as being forbidden from using shields (even if they are not disabled server-side) or fucking around with lutebot on a duel server (i'm looking at you clan VK)
oh, and then there is the lack of new maps and terrible imbalance of the few maps we DO have.

291 116

@ZugZugNeverEnds said:
the game population is declining because of social justice horseshit getting them banned from popular servers, or even something objectively unfair, such as being forbidden from using shields (even if they are not disabled server-side) or fucking around with lutebot on a duel server (i'm looking at you clan VK)
oh, and then there is the lack of new maps and terrible imbalance of the few maps we DO have.

As for the duel servers, they are ok to ban who they want, especially if you're just playing music to annoy people.
Maybe people should come up with better insults than "nigger" or "jew" and they wouldn't be banned.

954 302

@PC_Principal said:

@ZugZugNeverEnds said:

As for the duel servers, they are ok to ban who they want, especially if you're just playing music to annoy people.
Maybe people should come up with better insults than "nigger" or "jew" and they wouldn't be banned.

when your both it kinda makes being called one even better

132 48
  • 25 Jul
 Highlander

@Slouchmeister said:

@Minion said:
Anything related to the duel/comp side should have been benched to fix the main game. The devs at this point seem like their hitting the whole eyes bigger then their belly point

This exact shit is why everyone left, good luck when only 100 people are left and everyone joins chivalry when it comes out if they decide to only focus on the “ main “ game of duels and comp

Knight 7631 14008
  • 25 Jul
 ToLazy4Name

@Highlander said:

@Slouchmeister said:

@Minion said:

This exact shit is why everyone left, good luck when only 100 people are left and everyone joins chivalry when it comes out if they decide to only focus on the “ main “ game of duels and comp

Bye lol

954 302

Lol I for one enjoy smaller communities everyone knows each other and from time to time the battles against said people become good memories and may even sprout into friendships, if you want to play a game in the top 10 on steam do so I’ll continue with this Fucked up community, Racisem and all THIS IS THE WORST GROUP Of people I’ve been part of and I’m glad that I am :)

1 0
  • 25 Jul
 Skybrad

When it comes to holding onto the playerbase, I always suggest the same thing (if the game doesn't already have it) and thats daily/weekly challenges. Like it sounds like a small addition but I find it makes a big difference. Or recently, in other games I'm seeing a lot of community quests that last the month.

So for example:
Daily quests, could be to earn 5000 score in 1 game. Rewarded with 100 Gold. Could be upto 5 different kinds of challenges to complete each day.
Weekly quest, could be to decapitate 30 enemies. Rewarded with 300 Gold.
Community quest, battle-cry 100,000 times. When completed, everyone that took part is rewarded with a fancy helmet or weapon skin.

Now obviously the numbers would have to be tweaked, like I don't know if 100,000 battlecries is hard or not but you guys surely get what I mean. I think this might keep some players, like myself, to come back each day. Don't know how difficult it would be to implement though, like programming-wise, I'm not a developer :) But those are my thoughts

110 96
  • 26 Jul
 BOBOLOJOE

it's only a problem if it goes so low you can't find people to play against in your region.

i don't think it will.

for those who leave because they get killed too much and can't learn the mechanics and need to "win" to enjoy themselves. good riddance. go play some other care bear game.

for those who leave because theres no esports ranked matchmaking league competitions - go play overwatch or something equally lame.

for those who leave because omergod firepots and horses and bad map design waaah - fair enough they are annoying =P

for those of you who feel that a game needs to give you a sense of achievement and progression and rewards then 1. you should probably do something IRL and 2. go play something by ubisoft or EA and unlock some perks and titles and achievements.

for those of you who love parrying, swinging, dodging, jumping, laughing, cursing, screaming, yelling, punching, dying, decapitating, dismembering, blood lusting action! then good! i'll see you on the battle field!