Mordhau

Crossroads should not be avaialble for Front Line

20 27
  • 28 Jun
 Quxudais

In an objective based game mode a maps design should be based around guiding players toward the objectives both in lay out and in general advantage offered by completing them. All the features in an objective map should contribute in some way toward the objectives for the side controlling them. Most of Mordhau's FL maps struggle with these things but Crossroads in particular fails at pretty much all of them.

Winning the map is decided by taking the control point. The rate at which this depletes the opposing sides tickets is substantial enough that you can't compensate for it just by having more kills elsewhere. As such the only things on the map that matter in terms of winning are things that contribute to taking this position.

Crossroads has two big "features" that were considered stand-out enough to be highlighted in it's patches lead up promotion; The large number of horses available and the mortar emplacement. I've never seen the mortar matter at all.. in fact I don't think I've ever even been or seen a kill from it. I'm sure it's happened but it's so rare as to be pretty much meaningless and, given that, it effectively contributes nothing to winning the map. The mortar is so inconsequential it's actually dramatically less useful than the ballista all the way at the blue base.

The horses on the other hand I see used all the time.. but they not only contribute nothing to actually winning or holding the objective; They hurt your own team. Even with the revised spawns neither side has to be in the open low ground long enough for horses to have any significant impact, even if the other side had all of them. One team having so much Cav only means that side has a dozen or so fewer bodies fighting for or defending the center circle. You can run straight to the center from either spawn and you might get killed once or twice by a horse over the course of the entire match.. maybe. Thing is there's no way to fix this without dramatically altering the map as forcing foot soldiers to run exposed long enough for the horses to matter would only make the on-foot experience incredibly unfun; Both because you're basically making people be near-free kills for horse riders and because you are forcing the on-foot people to endure a lot of unnecessary down time just running back to the fight every respawn. If horses were to be a central element of the map then the map should have been built around separate engagement areas with at least two objectives; One achievable by on foot players, the other requiring Cavalry and segregating the two in some manner. You could also make one impact the other, for instance by having the on-foot objective be trying to take the mortar which could then be used to influence the cav battle.

As things are however the maps two big "features" are either completely irrelevant to the game mode.. or actively hurt the side using them. It also means that on this large multilevel map.. the vast majority of the available play space is utterly meaningless. The only spot anyone should be fighting on FL Crossroads, if they want to win, is the center circle with the occasional trip to kill the infinite ballista spammer in the nearby guard tower with an ammo box. That's about as awful as map design can get when it's game mode is considered.

The map itself is.. fine.. for TDK and Deathmatch. With no objective beyond "kill things" the maps issues aren't really that big of a deal (though the mortar is still pretty sad) and that's where this map should be available. Without a major overhaul however the map should simply not be in the FL rotation.

63 43
  • 28 Jun
 Cadiz

Tl;dr

The mortar is mostly used as horse counter for either teams but the horses are pretty bad in it. Most of the time you can't walk out of your spawn without some tryhard spamming F. It's pretty mindless but I'm pretty sure the map is still a WIP. Just play objective and your team'll win (evev if the map is staggered in favor of red)

Knight 34 30
  • 28 Jun
 Oatmate

This map is so bad its laughable

41 31

@Oatmate said:
This map is so bad its laughable

It really is. I mostly refrain from even criticizing it mainly because... where do you even start?

Knight 250 683

The thing is, crossroads uses the frontline code in order to play. It should have been a separate KOTH gamemode but the devs haven’t split it up as it’s an early build of koth. Once a dedicated KOTH Mode comes out only then will crossroads follow.

20 27
  • 28 Jun
 Quxudais

@MrGhostTheFlyingFlail said:
The thing is, crossroads uses the frontline code in order to play. It should have been a separate KOTH gamemode but the devs haven’t split it up as it’s an early build of koth. Once a dedicated KOTH Mode comes out only then will crossroads follow.

The maps layout would make sense for KotH but the maps second main "feature", the horses, would be even more antithetical to the game mode. For KotH the horses shouldn't even be there and the playable area should be dramatically decreased (assuming the "Hill" was the same size as the control point of course).

41 31

@Quxudais said:

@MrGhostTheFlyingFlail said:

The maps layout would make sense for KotH but the maps second main "feature", the horses, would be even more antithetical to the game mode. For KotH the horses shouldn't even be there and the playable area should be dramatically decreased (assuming the "Hill" was the same size as the control point of course).

Shit, he's realized that crossroads doesnt make sense no matter how you look at it.

111 53
  • 28 Jun
 yvesgomes

Am I the only one who ended up liking it? Had a pretty good game in it, today, with an ally Engy who pulled off some really smart stuff with spikes and walls.

I think once people figure out how to counter the horses (where to place spikes), the map will become more fun for more people.

53 77

I've got nothing but praise and respect for the devs but crossroads is a fucking meme and feels like something an amateur map maker would create in their spare time. The map either needs to get a severe rework or simply be removed from the FL pool.

I was thinking that with such a large amount of empty land, the map would be a lot more fun and interesting by introducing 4 additional capture points + tree house in the middle.

Each capture point as well as the tree house should be INACCESSIBLE to horses, however the rest of the map should be open to horses.

Players spawn on capture points, completely safe from horses, however they must make their way to the other capture points by walking out onto the battlefield where cavalry are roaming.

Two of the capture points should provide their respective captors with benefits such as catapults and ballistas, with direct line of sight to the tree house in the centre of the map.

Edit: Oh and perhaps give tree house 2 mortars facing in different directions to help defend the point from oncoming waves of enemies.

Here's a rough outline:

Untitled.png