Mordhau

Are you having fun playing Mordhau?

81 31
  • 29 Jun '19
 de.tail

@Deadmode said:

@esturias said:
I have absolutely no interest in discord or any other stuff. I always dwelled the official forums of a game, that's where the core community is meant to be.

Who said that forums are where the core community should be?

It's your choice, but most of the community is on discord servers, so by choosing not to partake there means you will miss out on the core community.

I'm an avid user of Discord myself. I run a server for a specific game engine/game developer, & I'm in a bunch more. I've tried joining the Mordhau discord server a few times, but every time I've joined I've gotten very irritated as it's just full of shit posts, memes, & everyone hurling insults back & forth over some petty shit, which seems to be the norm when it comes to servers with a lot of active users on them. On a forum you get to choose what topìcs you want to read & it's easier to gloss over replies you can't be arsed to read than it is on discord where people are firing off new replies left, right, & center.

Forums used to be really good - they still are in a way as you can take as much time as you want to read & reply (just like email), but they kind of died out back when facebook came out, shortly followed by smartphones & app versions of facebook, twitter, skype, etc.

547 613
  • 29 Jun '19
 Deadmode

Discord is where you find players for games, clans to join and groups to get involved with. That does not happen on forums anymore.

The only benefit I have had from being on this forum is finding out about @Gambit's server dashboard. There has been little information I have found on these forums that I hadn't been aware of beforehand because of Discord, Youtube or Twitch. All of my ingame activities and associations have been made ingame or via the various discord servers.

My point was that, for someone like @esturias to complain about the community being toxic and a disappointment, yet also completely isolate themselves from what actually is the community by ignoring Discord, is an unfair appraisal of the community.

777 1031
  • 29 Jun '19
 smellycathawk

@ĶiĻăƦesrumpMcBøøgerballls said:
Great Question.
I am the leader of the oldest, continuous, competitive clan in Mordhau dating back to Age of Chivalry(2005) mod through Chivalry and into Mordhau. |ĶiĻă| Killers in Lethal Alliance.

Age of Chivalry - over 4000+ hours
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare - 7000+ hours
Mordhau - 75 hours alpha - 388+ hours after release
There is a bot named after me in the game
Our Clan Logo is in the game. One of the most popular "Emblems" in the game and they dont even know it is a clan logo or that I designed it. ;-p
Kila Mordhau B-W2.jpg

Alpha was pretty much boring, limited maps/modes not enough players and was still busy doing clan skrims and the like in Chiv. Since we dropped Chiv for Mordhau after release, much of the game is far superior to Chiv with the exception of some server browser issues, limited admin capabilities and of course no TO. While many of the clan have adopted well to the game, I am still very much on the struggle bus with the game even at Rank 70+, a majority of the time in Frontline. While I do very well in PUBs, I am having issues in the comp scene and skill levels. I even dropped off our A-team because I am more of a hinderance than helpful.

But I personally have been struggling with the game. Something about it, is not clicking with me. It could be the animations, the timings, weapon ranges or maybe it is me and my failing hand/eye coordination (gaming has never been the same since Lasik). The game is terrible unforgiving on a single mistake, misread, or poorly timed parry. I find many weapons are getting 1-2 free hits on me. I seem to weapon cancel on map terrain/objects while my enemy swing thru it. I can hit players but rarely flinch them but I get flinched all the damn time. Projectiles fucking love me as I can be fully surrounded by enemies and I am the only one killed by they following: team mate archer. catapult, ballista, throwing axe, Jav, firepot, teammate on horse, etc. Seriously, time and time again I will be the only one killed while being surrounded. The game hates me. I also seem to have a large majorities of my stabs completely fail to hit their mark as well as 60% of my parries fail both of course are probably tied to the massive stamina drains from the never ending missed attacks. It is a wonder how I can consistantly top frag on pub servers but that could be because I am an objective whore and mostly play Frontline. So for me personally, this game pisses me off more than Chivalry archer fags one shotting me from range.

I was never a fan of dueling in Chiv and hate it even more in Mordhau, yet I force myself to do it. I am horrible at dueling. I would much rather fight 1 v X any day. But we, the clan, keep pretty busy with in the clan and we have a |ĶiĻă| Initiate Training program to teach noobs in the game, how to get better and the in and outs of competitive play. Sadly the "comp scene" is being ran by a handful of old Chiv players. They are making the same mistakes they did in Chiv, making up the rules, limiting comp size, limiting maps, weapons, in game assets and dumbing it down to 5v5-7v7(if you are lucky). Basically doing the same stupid shit they did in Chiv that divided the elites from the public. But the biggest problem is that they have little to no outreach or training. Few if any have a training program to get players interested in competitive play. Hell, most normie Mordhau players have no idea there is even any organized play let alone competitive tournaments, skrims and pugs minus what they might find by yet again a handful of YouTubers. Normies have no idea how to even get into the comp scene, nor do they know what is expected.

Normies tend to hop in and get stomped by the comp players but that is pretty much expected in any game. There are a handful of troll players but I think there are more whiners than there are tolls. If you are getting offended by what morons are saying in chat, you are not playing the game. I rarely if ever read the chat as I am too busy playing and in our discord shooting the shit. But I will say that there is a lot of stupid/ignorant players in the game that just have no clue as to what they are doing, what should be done to win a game along with a huge dose of autism where players are fighting over catapults and horses and stupid shit like that.

BTW how do you break a map like Crossroads by "improving" it? It was at least playable before but nerfing the radius of the Mortor that was barely used as it was. is just stupid and makes it completely useless. Creating a choke point that was designed as spawn protection ends up being a killing field run = genius. I cannot wait for the SDK to be released as I could care less about ranked dueling but that is just me.

Last week, I pretty much took a break from actually playing the game, still did clan stuff as managing a clan our size and age can be a big job. While our A team is very solid, our B team is really getting stronger and our C team is learning, I have limited my comp play as the game just isnt doing it for me or me for it.!

... they didn't even test Frontline, Battle Royale, or Horde mode, during the entire 2 years of alpha? And they think using the full release as a test for these modes isn't going to have a major affect on player retention?

I don't see the players as the problem with the comp scene getting no attention. It's kind of fucked up that they devs haven't done one single thing to promote it at all, they don't even publicly acknowledge the current scenes existence really. In fact didn't they say something like "if it happens we will support it" but it has already happened lol, and this statement might as well be a denial of its current existence.
The comp scene is what this game is built off of, so incorporating that into the game would maybe have been smart? Directing people towards already organized communities that will train nubs, instead of a video that doesn't actually help them?

547 613
  • 29 Jun '19
 Deadmode

Good post @smellycathawk, have a like.

81 31
  • 29 Jun '19
 de.tail

Aye, I suppose that's correct. Forums were the go to thing back in the day - before youtube, twitch, facebook, twitter, discord, etc - but less so these days.

I try to get people using our game engine forum to join our discord server as that's where me & the lead developer can be found most days, & where people will get a much faster response to a question/issue than a thread they created on the forum.

The biggest downside to discord servers over forums, is that information gets lost to time much easier & there's only so many things you can pin to a discord channel before that becomes a mess.

I have a few friends I play the game with, but I'm easy as to whether I play the game with them or by myself as more often than not you end up doing your own thing anyway. Plus you can always find people to add as friends on some of the custom duel servers - some of the players on those are quite helpful/respectful, which is a nice change.

@smellycathawk keyword: early access. Years ago developers would have had to pay game testers. These days thanks to digital gaming & better internet, they have flipped it around & now we the gullible idiots pay them to test their games, report bugs, make suggestions, & provide feedback - it's like a massive con because we are paying for the rights to play an unfinished product & take on the role of "game tester", yet we can't help ourselves when it comes to chucking our money at early access games - hell even some AAA games on release have been terrible & were patched/fixed ages later (because developers have the right to be lazy these days due to games being digital where they can just release patches & hotfixes, unlike physical copies of games years ago where they had to be near perfect & complete).

Count 251 280

@de.tail said:
Aye, I suppose that's correct. Forums were the go to thing back in the day - before youtube, twitch, facebook, twitter, discord, etc - but less so these days.

I try to get people using our game engine forum to join our discord server as that's where me & the lead developer can be found most days, & where people will get a much faster response to a question/issue than a thread they created on the forum.

The biggest downside to discord servers over forums, is that information gets lost to time much easier & there's only so many things you can pin to a discord channel before that becomes a mess.

I have a few friends I play the game with, but I'm easy as to whether I play the game with them or by myself as more often than not you end up doing your own thing anyway. Plus you can always find people to add as friends on some of the custom duel servers - some of the players on those are quite helpful/respectful, which is a nice change.

@smellycathawk keyword: early access. Years ago developers would have had to pay game testers. These days thanks to digital gaming & better internet, they have flipped it around & now we the gullible idiots pay them to test their games, report bugs, make suggestions, & provide feedback - it's like a massive con because we are paying for the rights to play an unfinished product & take on the role of "game tester", yet we can't help ourselves when it comes to chucking our money at early access games - hell even some AAA games on release have been terrible & were patched/fixed ages later (because developers have the right to be lazy these days due to games being digital where they can just release patches & hotfixes, unlike physical copies of games years ago where they had to be near perfect & complete).

This is why I have been begging for a Server Hosting section on the forums because information is easily searched, updated and discussed as well as Devs being able to address server issues and requests by those who are still spending money to support the game. It is really a necessity that needs to get done because of the reasons you stated when using discord. Granted I have been able to reach out to Crush for rapid answers to questions but I hate distracting them as I am well aware of all the work they are putting in. But as the forums are now, anything having to do with hosting servers are all over the place and a mess to try and track information down. But as a dedicated server admin/host for well over 13+ years, there are things that I and many would like to have added or options and full information to help us make great private servers. RCON when?

Yes, @smellycathawk some of the issues with the Alpha was because it was a kickstarter, small dev team thus testing somethings they were not able to test under full player conditions. Other issues that tend to happen after release is knee jerk reaction patches and updates that tend to over nerf or break things that players just need to be given time to understand map tactics as well as game mechanics and learning a massive range of weapons and loadout changes before a patching.

As far as a comp scene, the dev do have a community manager/YouTuber that does do some outreach but my critiques are squarely looking at the comp players who are setting up the comp scene marching orders but are doing very little real outreach. |ĶiĻă| Killers in Lethal Alliance have been doing player training for quite a few years from Chiv to now. I was approached a month or so ago by a decent comp player that wanted to create a training group/clan but he was hesitant to create one if we ( |ĶiĻă| ) were going to do it too basically stating that, If |ĶiĻă| Killers in Lethal Alliance were going to train comp players, then the comp scene will just farm players from us and the rest will not have to train anyone. One that is pretty shitty as they did that same bullshit in Chivalry but I basically said that with this many pub players playing daily that we(comp players) need a min of 5 clans training and recruiting new players if they want a successful comp scene to grow and develop. It fell on deaf ears.

YouTubers and Instructional videos are great and helpful, is one thing but that is completely different than having a group of good skilled players that you can learn and play with on a regular basis to understand the mechanics as well as team and map tactics for comp play. Because the learning curve and skill gap is so high, it takes a good month at a min to just get all the weapons unlocked let alone learn all the mechanics, metas, load outs and on and on. So without the comp scene actually doing training and outreach, you get what is already happening with player retention with the skill gaps and the elite comp players, playing with themselves on locked servers and not hopping into pubs to entice the normie pub player into joining in the comp scene.

Sure there is an "Official Comp Discord" but again there is little to no outreach to normie pub players as most have no idea that it exists or that a handful of old Chiv players are running it. A normie pub player will see some private servers that are locked and just hop on official servers and play away. I cannot tell you how many times I have heard that playing in Pubs only gives you bad habits, while this can be true, pub players need to be exposed to what high level play can be without getting pub stomped any more than they already are. So that is a challenge as well. But I digress...

78 46
  • 29 Jun '19
 Cheto

@smokratez said:
I stopped playing. Devs don't seem to listen to community. I'll check back in a month or so, however I suspect game will be dead by then. Sort of sad I spend money on this.

THIS.

78 46
  • 29 Jun '19
 Cheto

@smug said:
Not really atm.

The devs really need to step into the shoes of a pub player and realize that the game isn't all that fun for them right now. It's quite clear they spent too much time on certain aspects of the game and forgot to test important stuff like maps/horses etc.

Catering to the chiv community can only get you so far, and if your goal is to play with the same people once again for 5 more years instead of growing the game continue on this path you are treading.

They claim they are going to be better than Chivalry------> They go the exact same path and die.

Idiots.

1383 1037
  • 29 Jun '19
 esturias

@Deadmode said:

@esturias said:
I have absolutely no interest in discord or any other stuff. I always dwelled the official forums of a game, that's where the core community is meant to be.

Who said that forums are where the core community should be?

That's how things were over the last 20 years. You always had "alternative" communities, but the core community was always on the official forum. Not sure how it should be suddenly different here.
And I guess the discord one is even more of a cesspool...

81 31
  • 29 Jun '19
 de.tail

It's already bad enough getting shit on in official servers by maul/spear/shield users & ballerinas & apache attack helicopters & horse wankers. What would high level play look like? I'm assuming it's just more ballerina nonsense full of feints & weird contortion moves & drags that seem to last forever.

@ĶiĻăƦesrumpMcBøøgerballls do you have any links to videos of high skilled / comp level play? The only one I've seen is by the guy who has his videos featured on the main menu screen - one of his videos where he constantly destroys in multiple 1vX situations without doing anything fancy.

One thing I would really like, is just once to accurately gauge how close a weapon is to me as a lot of the times I seem to get hit when for me the weapon tip looks like it's nowhere near me (doesn't seem to make a difference whether I use a low or high fov). Another thing that annoys me is guessing whether or not I'm close enough to attack & I don't know if it's my ping/latency or not, but for me a lot of my attacks look like they should have connected but seem to phase through players instead.

547 613
  • 29 Jun '19
 Deadmode

@de.tail said:
What would high level play look like? I'm assuming it's just more ballerina nonsense full of feints & weird contortion moves & drags that seem to last forever.

It's far calmer. no ballerina stuff but a yes to drags. Picked this one for the 3rd person viewpoint.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zElB89pdjYc

Check Giru or Stouty's streams for regular scrim play etc.

Count 251 280

@de.tail said:
It's already bad enough getting shit on in official servers by maul/spear/shield users & ballerinas & apache attack helicopters & horse wankers. What would high level play look like? I'm assuming it's just more ballerina nonsense full of feints & weird contortion moves & drags that seem to last forever.

I have not really experienced that as you describe. I think that there is a very high skill and knowledge ceiling and that there is much happening that you simply do not understand what is happening. I had this same issue the first month or so in Alpha. Add to the fact that there were lots of changes so once I learned something, it was changed. There are many advanced moves as well as weapon-armor loadouts with various perks that give different aspects to the game. I could give you a ton of examples like morphs, chamber morphs, and chamber morph feints combined with some perks that make shit took crazier than they do as well as 3rd person-240 players that have additional benefits and capabilities of weird attack angles. All of this can be countered with knowledge and skill. But no where near as bad as chiv.

@ĶiĻăƦesrumpMcBøøgerballls do you have any links to videos of high skilled / comp level play? The only one I've seen is by the guy who has his videos featured on the main menu screen - one of his videos where he constantly destroys in multiple 1vX situations without doing anything fancy.

There are quite a few high level players that stream. You can watch any of our clan scrims or my live play (listening to me bitch and moan... hehe) but on Twitch there is Giru, Kapplerrr, Jax, split_wizardish, kylerx2 (granted some of the top guys play with shit graphics for more FPS) which I kind of think their should be a base line for graphics but I know that will fall on deaf ears in the comp scene.

One thing I would really like, is just once to accurately gauge how close a weapon is to me as a lot of the times I seem to get hit when for me the weapon tip looks like it's nowhere near me (doesn't seem to make a difference whether I use a low or high fov). Another thing that annoys me is guessing whether or not I'm close enough to attack & I don't know if it's my ping/latency or not, but for me a lot of my attacks look like they should have connected but seem to phase through players instead.

Well one thing you can do is to turn on the swing trace in the game menu and that will help you gage range. The problem is that is draws the trace for every player so you dont want to use it in front line but maybe a low player duel server. You can also do what the tryhards to and run runescape graphic settings. Watch wizardish or kylerx2 on twitch and you can see what it looks like an how easier it is to see and gauge weapon distance.

Ping of course is a factor as well as the servers not being as stable as they should be. It tool me a month or so and also purposely playing on servers where I had high ping to see the timing differences. At the comp level, anything even close to 90+ is not playable to detect parries and reading some attacks. Add to this the FPS issues during heavy combat. You will want to get the MAX FPS you can get so use the highest FPS to match your monitor refresh rate and that should help as well. Upgrade if you can.

777 1031
  • 29 Jun '19
 smellycathawk

TBH I can live with the content droughts and the shitty gametypes and maps. But if that is the case the game is going to have to lean heavily on the combat mechanics alone.... it'd be nice if at least that were finished. But it isn't and they aren't telling us what is even subject to change, so what is the point of even "getting better" when you are likely just teaching yourself soon to be bad habbits?

Even a change of 25 ms to the release of a weapon can completely kill my willingness to play the game tbh.

I didn't sign up to play a fucking beta.

The boasting about how well honed in the mechanics are cause of all the "knowledge" and experience the dev team has, yet they are going to tweak random fucking weapon timings and basic shit like that a month after release. So fun having to relearn precise timings, and change strategies because drags and shit become impossible. So fuck it, why would I bother learning randomly changing mechanics?

Count 251 280

@smellycathawk said:
TBH I can live with the content droughts and the shitty gametypes and maps. But if that is the case the game is going to have to lean heavily on the combat mechanics alone.... it'd be nice if at least that were finished. But it isn't and they aren't telling us what is even subject to change, so what is the point of even "getting better" when you are likely just teaching yourself soon to be bad habbits?

Even a change of 25 ms to the release of a weapon can completely kill my willingness to play the game tbh.

I didn't sign up to play a fucking beta.

The boasting about how well honed in the mechanics are cause of all the "knowledge" and experience the dev team has, yet they are going to tweak random fucking weapon timings and basic shit like that a month after release. So fun having to relearn precise timings, and change strategies because drags and shit become impossible. So fuck it, why would I bother learning randomly changing mechanics?

Sadly, I think you are confusing a very small and dedicated dev team with a AAA title game. I believe the game mechanics are very well honed and if you can find a 1st person melee slasher that is better, I think we would all love to play it. Tell us what it is! To be honest, this dev team is very small and very dedicated to try and get the best game balance, bug fixes and updates as fast as they can. You can actually talk with them in their discord on a regular basis. Try that with a AAA title. NO game is perfect, hell it is only a little over a month old, developed via Kickstarter and became reality. I think your demands and complaints are not realistic given all the circumstances. Even more if you knew the complete history and reasons why the released it a bit earlier than they wanted too. Still this game release is still far better than most AAA titles as far as being most complete and ready to play.

Now imagine a year from now once the majority of bugs are gone, the SDK is released and players are creating their own content...... There is much to look forward too then complaining about minor balance/timing changes. I may disagree with somethings but given all the details, they are doing an outstanding job.

81 31
  • 29 Jun '19
 de.tail

Devs tweaking, nerfing, & buffing mechanics, stats, etc seems to be common practice when it comes to multiplayer games.

The look down attacks are quite hard to read, especially if it's an aggressive player that's in your face as you might not be able to see what they are doing - depending on your fov/view mode.

Ping is definitely a problem. I can rarely find a server where my ping is below 70 & I average 90 ping at least on most servers - even ones that are supposed to be close to me. DSL internet sucks - well Spanish DSL anyway. I've noticed when my ping is in yellow or red that I have a very hard time parrying attacks & a lot of the time my attacks seem to phase through enemies, I guess because they are not exactly where I currently see them on my screen - which is probably one of the main reasons why gauging distance is hard because they are not necessarily in the same position as you see them & thus they could be closer or further away than you think.

My fps suffers a bit on 64 player servers. It's fine when there's about 40 players or less - providing there aren't loads of firebombs being chucked all over the place. I'm running the game on custom graphic settings - medium for textures/character quality, basic anti-aliasing, everything else is turned down low. I do plan on upgrading later this year to ryzen 2700x as my current FX 8350 is causing bottleneck issues with a lot of new-ish games these days.

In regards to tracers, I would like more options in regards to the tracers, such as: draw all, draw self only, or draw vicinity (x distance from you), or draw target where you mouse over an enemy then press a keybind to set them as the target, then you don't have all that confusing rainbow shit going on all over the screen.

So long story short... my pc I can fix/upgrade, but my internet - probably not. hopefully they will sort out the servers at some point & make them more stable.

547 613
  • 29 Jun '19
 Deadmode

@smellycathawk said:

I get your frustrations but everything in this paragraph is 100% true of many AAA releases too. The last two major AAA games I played heavily after launch were BF5 and Division 2, both of which underwent many balance tweaks way after launch, and still happening.

Considering the combat is as strong as it is, taking into account the team and development time behind it (and budget), it is definitely commendable. It's also the only glue holding the game and its community together right now, so it can't be all that bad.

71 83
  • 29 Jun '19
 50Caliber

I don't feel much of a draw to play it no.

Knight 51 67
  • 29 Jun '19
 GramzontheDragon

I enjoy it, it has rough edges, but the flexibility of making your own mercenaries with the point buy system can help make different matches feel fresh. The base satisfying combat is a solid foundation for other hyjinks or just enjoying the tryhard playstyle.

5 3
  • 29 Jun '19
 Loomi

New to slashers, 140ish hours. Did 70 in the first week working full time lol. Love the game.
I can't fault the combat, any 'OP' things become standard the better you get.
Front lines is kinda basic, but working towards consistent 1vX is enough to keep me going. And I play with a couple mates so it's always nice competing with K/D etc.
The 'toxic' community isn't that big of a problem, I see a few idiots TKing or trolling but mostly they ge t kicked and ignored. You can mute idiots, so I'm not bothered by all the hard r bullshit people complain about on these forums. OCE servers may make a difference. My other main game is Dota so maybe I'm just hardened xD
I'm hoping the game stays popular, I'd love to see a comp scene in Aus.

Edit: actually my only complaint is stuttering. I've had high CPU usage and stuttering since launch. Rolling back drivers helped a bit but still happens.

777 1031
  • 29 Jun '19
 smellycathawk

I get ranting and lose track of my point, sorry.

It's fine they have work to do still. My main issue is i donno why the devs didn't release in early access, because for a bunch of reasons I think it would have been better for the player base in the long-term.

So my frustration is more due to other players being more likely to quit due to the lack of transparency/content, rather than my own enjoyment being hindered by it... tho of course it is