Knight 7571 13862
  • 28 Jun
 ToLazy4Name

Monsteri you should buy Vermintide 2

382 575
  • 28 Jun
 smug

Not really atm.

The devs really need to step into the shoes of a pub player and realize that the game isn't all that fun for them right now. It's quite clear they spent too much time on certain aspects of the game and forgot to test important stuff like maps/horses etc.

Catering to the chiv community can only get you so far, and if your goal is to play with the same people once again for 5 more years instead of growing the game continue on this path you are treading.

Knight 916 2519
  • 28 Jun
 Pred

No.

I haven't played in close to a month, almost all team modes are ruined by fire/horses/shields/trolls and a bunch of other easily avoidable poor decisions, on top of not being very fun to begin with (mostly Frontline), so I have no interest in playing them in such state, as I'm not a masochist.

Duels were kinda alright, but they also have issues and I figured it's not enough for me to keep playing this game.

I'm going to wait and see what these new gamemodes bring to the table.

96 128
  • 28 Jun
 Reapy

Played just a bit around alpha release and put it down till release. I have about 175 hours I think. Right now I'm like most people where the MUST GET HOME AND PLAY urge is gone, but if I click the icon and play I'll be in for a bit. I enjoy the mechanics and working on things a lot and trying to get better, but ultimately I think I'd like a few additional game modes.

I really want to be able to participate in small team skirmishes. Regular skermish isn't my deal, I need to maximize playtime and people hiding or just screwing up early is enough to make me go find another server. TDM's end too fast but are pretty fun when they are around 8v8ish.

Dueling is good still but dependent on who is on, and usually I'm worried I'm boring people by getting farmed. Ranked will be good here because they'll enjoy farming me for rank points so there's that.

Frontline is still fun, it is dependent on how many horses/archers/firepot people are online though. I do wish the maps had a nicer flow to them, while they provide some good balanced fights from time to time, they don't really have peak moments, they just sort of ebb and flow on their own.

I'll frontline by default and go around the edges of the map to goof around and try to learn mechanics better. On days I'm more awake will be in dueling. Starting to look at other games to play though.

Overall I think what would most excite me is getting the ability to 3v3 / 5v5 with a match maker. I just am no good at networking or being able to commit to time/places so unfortunately need the computer to solve it for me. I'd like to try these game modes out a lot, honestly since m&b I've wanted to try 3v3 / small team melee gameplay.

Second would be waiting for a frontline rework, though overall I'm sort of happy with frontline. The maps I like the most in frontline are usually ones where I can get off to the side action. Grad I love to fight around the horse barn thing through the back of the house by the catapult. Usually all the spam is between the two spawns and on the side I can get mixed XvX melee fights.

Horses I sort of hate. I've thought about making a post about it but I'd summarize the issue as the flinching speed needs to be raised, more things need to slow them down, and overall it's too hard to defend against them. In m&b you just downblock or dodge into the horse head if they are couching, which you can't seem to do here. If you block the couch your weapon goes off into the grass somewhere and I lose it all the time. All in all they are frustrating without much exciting counter play.

81 30
  • 28 Jun
 de.tail

@Reapy I'm not sure where you are located, but in the EU there are some custom duel servers with people acting as refs. On one of the servers they often do 3v3 inside of the ring - they've even built walls around the ring (on camp) & made queue section as well.

I've forgotten the name of the servers, but you can probably find them under deathmatch mode by searching for "ref". I haven't participated in any of the fights on there because I'm not very good at duels - if it was just me vs one other person it wouldn't matter so much as it would just be me letting myself down as opposed to other players.

I do recommend trying to find the 32 player or less servers for frontlines as they do make the mode a lot more enjoyable as you are less likely to get trampled/skewered by horse wankers, or into 1vX situations.

41 31

@de.tail said:
I do recommend trying to find the 32 player or less servers for frontlines as they do make the mode a lot more enjoyable as you are less likely to get trampled/skewered by horse wankers, or into 1vX situations.

I actually prefer 64 player frontlines.

1. 4 Horses per map is much less of a problem with 1.5x as many people with arrows, polearms, or toolboxes.

2. You may not get as many 1v1s on 64 player servers, but you also get fewer 1vXs. Its mostly XvX, which IMO is the main point and draw of the format. If I wanted to 1v1 I would go to a duel server and find one of the few people either not playing a lute, griefing, naked with pan, etc.

3. I feel like people get away with less sneaky trolling and spawnkilling in 64 player servers. I for instance really hate it when the teams steal eachother's siege equipment on Grad, its really only funny the first time. The maps are just too big for 48 players and its way too easy to flank. The flow of battle is just better and more realistic with more people.

39 97

I'm kinda bored tbh ...

I've been using the catapult, firepot and throwables only mercs.

Don't really like the "competitive" vibe thing of this game, it is not as fun as the pseudo-teamobjective mode...

Devs should put more effort on making new maps with team objective as a main mode.

If you look into YT for mordhau, you will see that the most viewed videos are from people doing stupid and silly things on Frontline mode, with the competitive play going rather "underground".

I think the devs made this game just for themselves. And, for them, the only thing fun in Chivalry was the competition of the same 10 or 20 guys. See crossroads? That's alright if you played DUELYARD for 5 years....

Or... They just don't know how to handle plans with the great success and the amount players of the game currently.

81 30
  • 28 Jun
 de.tail

The maps aren't that big & there's a significant decrease in fps for some of us on 64 player servers, especially when lots of people are clumped together or firebombs are being chucked around all over the place.

More people doesn't seem to make a difference in regards to horse wankers as they like charging through the spawn locations trampling & skewering people right after they spawn in. We shouldn't have to mind our backs after we just spawn in.

You still get in 1vX situations, but it's less likely that you will get into more than 1v3 or so on lower player servers, unlike 64 player servers where you get into ridiculous situations because your team mates suddenly decided to bugger off & you end up being swarmed.

I guess I just like to chill a bit, take a breather, & rest my fingers every now & then which you can't really do on high player count servers as you are constantly in the thick of it - unless you're dead, of course.

It would be more realistic if players actually used formations & tactics, but frontline is more like a massive royal rumble more than anything else. Pure & utter chaos from start to end.

523 566
  • 28 Jun
 Deadmode

@Longboard Guedes said:
If you look into YT for mordhau, you will see that the most viewed videos are from people doing stupid and silly things on Frontline mode, with the competitive play going rather "underground".

That's because that's all the majority of the Mordhau playerbase is capable of right now. It takes very little for someone to hit record and jump on Frontline LMB spamming and doing stupid shit, so of course there will be loads of those videos. The comp scene is small but growing as the playerbase improves.

777 1029

Marox snuck into a sneaky thread a while ago and told a select few of us, in secret, that they are working towards bringing a team objective gametype in the future due to popular demand.

81 30
  • 29 Jun
 de.tail

I've changed my mind. Tonight has been the most frustrating play session as of yet for me. Almost everyone on the other team were using spears, shields, & dodge perk; plus half of my deaths - & there was a lot of them - was down to horse wankers as per usual.

I got that frustrated at one point that I ended up switching to my cunty rapier build.

_shakeshark__by_taimotive.gif

717 587

i've never played any first person slasher before but i'm always super interested in games having super high skill caps. atm the learning experience is pretty miserable, so it's super easy to say "fuck this game" when a chiv vet/alpha tester with 5000 hours just chamber feints everything you do cause it's all so internalized for them, but sometimes i also manage to do super satisfying things that makes me keep coming back to it. it's an abusive relationship

129 141

I bought the day after release and have about 350 hours so far.

Over the last two weeks I've probably only played a handfull of games to the end without getting bored/mad. Constantly dying to or frantically trying to avoid the same annoying crap: catapults, trebuchets, ballistae, trolls, firepots, cavalry - all just to get into a fight in a circle, which half the time is with a shield user or a guy with a spear and bloodlust just going to town on his scrollwheel. Frontline is/was the best mode in my eyes but I've been finding it more boring and frustrating than fun to play lately. The steam active player charts for the last 30 days tell the story really.

MMGA

Knight 25 20
  • 29 Jun
 ExecuDoge

Ex chiv TO player, was in alpha but didn't play much due to low pop Aus servers and lack of main gamemode. Played a lot of payload TF2 as well -> enjoy team based game modes so I mostly play frontline.

Have never really had a 'Need to play' with this game, the lack of a solid main game mode and very few maps have burnt me out pretty quick. I only come on every now and then these days while I wait for an update, usually quit my sessions feeling frustrated. Besides the dueling and melee combat, almost everything has a tacked on/incomplete feel to it; melee/dueling is pretty much all the alpha focused on so its not surprising.

Atm the biggest drawbacks for me are:

-Lack of solid thought out team based gamemode (TO, siege, etc.).
-Sound design and atmosphere are non-existent.
-Adjuncts to melee combat don't fit the gameplay very well/need work to fit in properly (Archery, horses, building and shields to an extent). These all feel unsatisfying to play and often annoying to play against; they need more defined roles with proper counters.
-Lack of maps and map balance (asymmetry is very hard to balance against in a back and forth mode like frontline)

I am sticking with Mordhau because I see a lot of potential but I think its going to need a fair bit of work before I get really sucked in.

382 575
  • 29 Jun
 smug

On the topic of sound design, we still don't have functional footsteps lol. If anyone is off screen it literally doesn't render any footsteps period.

Count 237 267

Great Question.
I am the leader of the oldest, continuous, competitive clan in Mordhau dating back to Age of Chivalry(2005) mod through Chivalry and into Mordhau. |ĶiĻă| Killers in Lethal Alliance.

Age of Chivalry - over 4000+ hours
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare - 7000+ hours
Mordhau - 75 hours alpha - 388+ hours after release
There is a bot named after me in the game
Our Clan Logo is in the game. One of the most popular "Emblems" in the game and they dont even know it is a clan logo or that I designed it. ;-p
Kila Mordhau B-W2.jpg

Alpha was pretty much boring, limited maps/modes not enough players and was still busy doing clan skrims and the like in Chiv. Since we dropped Chiv for Mordhau after release, much of the game is far superior to Chiv with the exception of some server browser issues, limited admin capabilities and of course no TO. While many of the clan have adopted well to the game, I am still very much on the struggle bus with the game even at Rank 70+, a majority of the time in Frontline. While I do very well in PUBs, I am having issues in the comp scene and skill levels. I even dropped off our A-team because I am more of a hinderance than helpful.

But I personally have been struggling with the game. Something about it, is not clicking with me. It could be the animations, the timings, weapon ranges or maybe it is me and my failing hand/eye coordination (gaming has never been the same since Lasik). The game is terrible unforgiving on a single mistake, misread, or poorly timed parry. I find many weapons are getting 1-2 free hits on me. I seem to weapon cancel on map terrain/objects while my enemy swing thru it. I can hit players but rarely flinch them but I get flinched all the damn time. Projectiles fucking love me as I can be fully surrounded by enemies and I am the only one killed by they following: team mate archer. catapult, ballista, throwing axe, Jav, firepot, teammate on horse, etc. Seriously, time and time again I will be the only one killed while being surrounded. The game hates me. I also seem to have a large majorities of my stabs completely fail to hit their mark as well as 60% of my parries fail both of course are probably tied to the massive stamina drains from the never ending missed attacks. It is a wonder how I can consistantly top frag on pub servers but that could be because I am an objective whore and mostly play Frontline. So for me personally, this game pisses me off more than Chivalry archer fags one shotting me from range.

I was never a fan of dueling in Chiv and hate it even more in Mordhau, yet I force myself to do it. I am horrible at dueling. I would much rather fight 1 v X any day. But we, the clan, keep pretty busy with in the clan and we have a |ĶiĻă| Initiate Training program to teach noobs in the game, how to get better and the in and outs of competitive play. Sadly the "comp scene" is being ran by a handful of old Chiv players. They are making the same mistakes they did in Chiv, making up the rules, limiting comp size, limiting maps, weapons, in game assets and dumbing it down to 5v5-7v7(if you are lucky). Basically doing the same stupid shit they did in Chiv that divided the elites from the public. But the biggest problem is that they have little to no outreach or training. Few if any have a training program to get players interested in competitive play. Hell, most normie Mordhau players have no idea there is even any organized play let alone competitive tournaments, skrims and pugs minus what they might find by yet again a handful of YouTubers. Normies have no idea how to even get into the comp scene, nor do they know what is expected.

Normies tend to hop in and get stomped by the comp players but that is pretty much expected in any game. There are a handful of troll players but I think there are more whiners than there are tolls. If you are getting offended by what morons are saying in chat, you are not playing the game. I rarely if ever read the chat as I am too busy playing and in our discord shooting the shit. But I will say that there is a lot of stupid/ignorant players in the game that just have no clue as to what they are doing, what should be done to win a game along with a huge dose of autism where players are fighting over catapults and horses and stupid shit like that.

BTW how do you break a map like Crossroads by "improving" it? It was at least playable before but nerfing the radius of the Mortor that was barely used as it was. is just stupid and makes it completely useless. Creating a choke point that was designed as spawn protection ends up being a killing field run = genius. I cannot wait for the SDK to be released as I could care less about ranked dueling but that is just me.

Last week, I pretty much took a break from actually playing the game, still did clan stuff as managing a clan our size and age can be a big job. While our A team is very solid, our B team is really getting stronger and our C team is learning, I have limited my comp play as the game just isnt doing it for me or me for it.!

367 340
  • 29 Jun
 Peacerer

Play it like an hour or less a day or every second day, sometimes more, usually less, because Mordhau is a boring game. It's designed to be boring.

@ĶiĻăƦesrumpMcBøøgerballls
When you force yourself to play the game, IMO, you should better do other things in life.

Count 237 267

@Peacerer said:
Play it like an hour or less a day or every second day, sometimes more, usually less, because Mordhau is a boring game. It's designed to be boring.

@ĶiĻăƦesrumpMcBøøgerballls
When you force yourself to play the game, IMO, you should better do other things in life.

I do not force myself to play the game, I force myself to practice dueling. There is a difference. I still, overall, enjoy the game, I do not enjoy dueling but it helps players get better at the game. At some point I am hoping the game mechanics will finally click with me and I find that secret sauce again that makes one a top player.

601 471
  • 29 Jun
 esturias

@Deadmode said:

@esturias said:
The community is a big disappointment, too. Both the toxic players in the game that nobody cares about as well as the pretty much dead community on the forums here that seems to be ruled by kids and trolls.

The community isn't restricted to these forums. In fact only a small part of the community is active here, so I wouldn't judge the community as a whole on the small part you've been exposed to. I suggest you check out the various discord servers to get more involved with the actual community.

I have absolutely no interest in discord or any other stuff. I always dwelled the official forums of a game, that's where the core community is meant to be.
And actually, the picture I got here fits quite well to what happens ingame...

Still found some good people to play with and the guy on the first duel server I visited was really awesome and helped me a lot with the basics.

523 566
  • 29 Jun
 Deadmode

@esturias said:
I have absolutely no interest in discord or any other stuff. I always dwelled the official forums of a game, that's where the core community is meant to be.

Who said that forums are where the core community should be?

It's your choice, but most of the community is on discord servers, so by choosing not to partake there means you will miss out on the core community.