Mordhau

Abuse of feints and lunges.

544 613
  • 26 Jun '19
 Deadmode

@alonesilverwolf said:

@recurf said:
feints are borderline useless, ure just bad

YOU obviously don't know how to use feints then, so it's you who is bad.

Listen to the high tier players. They all agree with recurf on this. Swing manipulation is far more effective than feints. This is discussed during the recent debate about hp regen, if you were interested in hearing about it.

Plus, if you have fought recurf, you wouldn't be so quick to call him bad...

Regarding the parry animation, Skallagrim mentioned that you would not parry with such a severe downwards angle on the blade as you have no leverage on the blade there, even if you stand more side-on. It is more effective to have a more horizontal blade position.

Maybe that's what the old painting is trying to portray?

201 402
  • 26 Jun '19
 serbish

blocking is already easy, the parry window is so fat its almost impossible to fail a parry unless you are in a panic or getting fkut by some wicked drag. Reading feints is just something you learn through patience and practice, if you struggle to read them, there is no magical answer other than focus on your opponents movements and remember all attacks have grunts

16 4
  • 26 Jun '19
 AbsurdO

Held blocks is better (and more fun once you learn) for blocking to be honest, but only in the parameters that you have to block the direction the swings come and not just hold block and block everything. I don't know exactly what -you- feint haters are thinking you are requesting but a twenty minute duel without feints would be... boring.

214 179
  • 26 Jun '19
 Dialectic

@2B said:

@PJ_Ammas said:

@2B said:
Plus I can't find anything saying the Blocking Animation with Longsword (I use that as example since I use the Longsword a lot) and no where in medieval Texts or accuracy does it say the block was always a "Turn Blade upside down".

Screenshot_2019-06-26 ochs guard - Google Search.png

It's called an ochs or ox guard.

Also do we really need to explain why weapons having held blocks would be awful?

Ah... may I ask what fighting Manual that is from as I'd like to read up on that.

yes, I feel you should as I am unsure why it would be awful. it makes no sense Logically why a Longsword can't be held in even a Basic Defense Form to make Blocking easier and Combat a bit more entertaining and make players have to plan out moves.

Someone smarter can probably elaborate but here's two points against weapon held blocks:

1) it's not a fun gameplay mechanic with a high skill ceiling potential, and

2) parrying irl is not a held block but a redirection of the opponent momentum and/or a flick of the wrist. For instance, you might receive a strike in that stance then immediately rotate your wrists to strike the opponent head. Or you could use an angle of deflection to receive the opponent strike while thrusting toward his abdomen.

I'm not a fencer, just read a manual on the subject.

111 54
  • 26 Jun '19
 yvesgomes

I am a novice and my humble opinion is that a held block for weapons would not fit Mordhau at all. That is the niche of shields and even then it seems to be pretty hard to balance out. Having held block s the standard would require redesigning the whole game, pretty much.

I don't think held block is inherently bad. It works well in Absolver. You just gotta have proper surrounding mechanics for it.

102 72
  • 28 Jun '19
 smokratez

Feint dancing is why I don't bother with duels. It has nothing to do with fighting. It's lame af.

544 613
  • 28 Jun '19
 Deadmode

@smokratez said:
Feint dancing is why I don't bother with duels. It has nothing to do with fighting. It's lame af.

The thing is that people who feint constantly are super-easy to abuse. The other thing is that learning to read people is integral to the combat.

You may not find any need of it now, especially playing Frontline, but as the average skill of the playerbase rises, you'll wish you brushed up on these skills...

102 72
  • 28 Jun '19
 smokratez

@Deadmode said:

@smokratez said:

The thing is that people who feint constantly are super-easy to abuse. The other thing is that learning to read people is integral to the combat.

You may not find any need of it now, especially playing Frontline, but as the average skill of the playerbase rises, you'll wish you brushed up on these skills...

You commented on a post I made 5 mins ago where I said I stopped playing already.

544 613
  • 28 Jun '19
 Deadmode

@smokratez said:

@Deadmode said:

@smokratez said:

You commented on a post I made 5 mins ago where I said I stopped playing already.

I made this reply first, actually. Saw your other one after.

Knight 7768 14313
  • 28 Jun '19
 ToLazy4Name

@smokratez said:

"i'm bad and will remain bad"

lol

102 72
  • 30 Jun '19
 smokratez

@ToLazy4Name said:

@smokratez said:

lol

Sucks that you're bad. I am quite decent.

Knight 7768 14313
  • 30 Jun '19
 ToLazy4Name

@smokratez said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

@smokratez said:

lol

Sucks that you're bad. I am quite decent.

I don't think you know how quotation marks work my man

777 1031
  • 30 Jun '19
 smellycathawk

@smokratez said:

Clearly you know nothing about fighting.

102 72
  • 4 Jul '19
 smokratez

@smellycathawk said:

@smokratez said:

There was no feinting in midieval fighting. Boxing has fuck all to do with midieval fighting. You can insult me all you want. All you are doing is showing off your own ignorance.

13 6
  • 4 Jul '19
 Bɑbɑг

@smokratez said:

@smellycathawk said:

@smokratez said:

There was no feinting in midieval fighting.

Source ?
I call bullshit on that

God Emperor 90 521
  • 4 Jul '19
 Donald Trump

@smokratez said:

@smellycathawk said:

@smokratez said:

There was no feinting in midieval fighting. Boxing has fuck all to do with midieval fighting. You can insult me all you want. All you are doing is showing off your own ignorance.

Real life morphing example
https://youtu.be/P1M4nqBb0sQ?t=87

102 72
  • 4 Jul '19
 smokratez

@Donald Trump said:

@smokratez said:

@smellycathawk said:

@smokratez said:

Life isn't a youtube video.

544 613
  • 4 Jul '19
 Deadmode

@smokratez said:

Except for the quotes used to re-enact the moves described are from historical masters of combat.

1814 1898
  • 4 Jul '19
 SWSeriousMike

@smokratez said:

@Donald Trump said:

@smokratez said:

@smellycathawk said:

@smokratez said:

Sorry we don't have contemporary witnesses around. But something tells me you wouldn't believe them anyway.