Mordhau

Debate Regarding Regen In 1vX

Conscript 168 357
  • 23 Jun '19
 NikolaiLudovik

This video by Stouty shows that perhaps we should disable regen to prevent those outnumbering one guy (in 1vX) achieving an advantage and switching to avoid combat.
Perhaps a command for server owners would be nice. Not necessarily removing it from the game, but just a command.

404 607
  • 23 Jun '19
 smug

Crush in this video rofl.

Removing regen would be bad because then archer's would be extremely strong. Maybe stop playing the game in autistic formats like 2v2 Skirm where regen absolutely breaks the meta, and start playing 6v6+ frontline.

1816 1899
  • 23 Jun '19
 SWSeriousMike

@smug said:
Removing regen would be bad because then archer's would be extremely strong.

I have my doubts about archers being extremely strong in 2v2 or 3v3. With larger teams on the other hand... you could as well just play frontline.
In the end it boils down to skirmish being a bad (at least for spectators ) game mode and the comp scene being too small.

Duke 553 939
  • 23 Jun '19
 Goatie

I agree the main competitive mode should be a respawn based one as the viewers can see the 'flow' of a match much easier.

LTS style will never work because people die too fast to catch the action and it's not as exciting as seeing someone clutch an objective. Clutching an LTS round is just that, another round after what looked like spam to the viewers. The matches already go fast enough without people not being able to regen.

Objective respawn based modes allow for more tatical plays and time for the viewers to 'sync' with what's happening. Not to mention it's way more fun then skirmish.

Removing regen for competitive skirmish is a moot point right now as it may not end up as the competitive mode, and I hope it doesn't or the comp scene will not last long I assure you.

404 607
  • 23 Jun '19
 smug

@SWSeriousMike said:

@smug said:
Removing regen would be bad because then archer's would be extremely strong.

I have my doubts about archers being extremely strong in 2v2 or 3v3. With larger teams on the other hand... you could as well just play frontline.
In the end it boils down to skirmish being a bad (at least for spectators ) game mode and the comp scene being too small.

They wouldn't be. My point is that St0uty is correct that regen breaks 2v2 and small pop LTS, but the game doesn't exist in that vacuum. Those modes are good for training mechanics but they are complete ass for competitive play.

There's no way St0uty would agree on removing health regen across all modes the second the gets hit 2 times in the torso by a longbow in a FL scrim.

1816 1899
  • 23 Jun '19
 SWSeriousMike

I already share your opinion. No need to explain it further. ;)

404 607
  • 25 Jun '19
 smug

https://youtu.be/-GNYPxX8DVA stouty with another 1vX ownage. crush come on lmao. side note they actually think skirmish would be a good esport mode lmao dude come on hahahaha. Giru thinks this game is designed as a 1v1 game hahahahha, please dont tell me the devs listen to him.

they talk about buffing feints as well, which is probably not a good idea. Lowering TTK doesn't increase the skill ceiling. Giru holds the stance that this is a 1.Individual empowered game and 2.Primarily a 1v1/small pop focused game, yet he advocates for mechanics that make 50/50 mixups strong to lower TTK thus increasing the amount of variance that can exist in a competitive match. That's a big LMAO.

I don't agree 100% with stouty but he is literally the only person capable of forming a cogent argument somehow. Giru somehow can't grasp the fact removing health regen would buff the 1 more than it would hurt the 1 in a 1vX. In a hypothetical match against two evenly autistic 2v2 teams both teams would be capable of landing hits on their duel opponent whether through switching or just straight duel play. In this situation because you can't regen if the individual player is TRULY better than the 2 players on the other side he will be able to clutch it just because now instead of having to hit them collectively 5 times, he only has to do it 2-3 times. Regen as it stands only helps the team with the first kill snowball their advantage.

Let me sum up Giru's side in a non retarded way because he's incapable of presenting it. In the same scenario we are assuming the other team can snowball their advantage only because his teammate can presumably keep the other player busy for the entirety of the health regen duration. If players could kill faster in this game the other person could not possibly have time to regen his hp, because the most optimal decision there would be to help his teammate immediately after winning his engagement.

I also think chambering is a troublesome mechanic because they took it from M&B where combat works a lot differently. Chambers buffering defense just comes from Chiv’s inherent mechanics of having windup states and being able to cancel them. Something you cant do in M&B where chambering is a decisive action. Chambering in Chivalry is basically an option select when it wasn't in M&B, meaning it covers two options at once meaning you either get a gamble hit or a chamber, AND you can cancel the option select to block meaning it's even stronger than any option select in any fighting game. When defensive option selects exist they make defense insanely powerful just go look at any street fighter 4 match. However I don't think the true issue is chambering itself more than chambering interacting with CTFP which you can't remove without breaking the game in any mode larger than 1v1. Chambers are comically weak and don't really lead to meaningful offense except when used as a platform for morphs or feints lol.

TLDR; stop playing autistic formats

1816 1899
  • 25 Jun '19
 SWSeriousMike

No idea how this can go on for 2 hours. I had enough after 15 minutes.
The video illustrates well why the balancing is so fucked at the moment though.

It's not a debate by the way. There is no audience to convince since the common player has no say in any of these decisions. At the very best it could be considered a discussion but even that might be a bit too generous.

Conscript 168 357
  • 26 Jun '19
 NikolaiLudovik

I get both sides of the regen debate, but a command is too much to ask for? That's all we need. We don't need them to fucking fundamentally change it and just turn it off for the entire game.