Mordhau

Sword pushing

423 367
  • 23 Dec '16
 Carlo_Mano

Can't find a better thread title.

Something neat that i often see in shows and more rarely in games is when two fighters are very close to each other, they cross blades at the hilt and mutualy push each other.

Would be nice to see that when parrying and/or chambering a face hugger.
(What is the current way to counter face hugging atm?)

img.jpg

612 449
  • 23 Dec '16
 afiNity

Counter for face hugging is probably kicking.

934 1634
  • 23 Dec '16
 Smokingbobs

I always loved these contests of might in games. Mordhau however does not like to lock you out of your control and into something like a quick time event.

The current way to counter facehugging is the kick, which when successfuly executed grants you a free hit.

To go deeper into your suggestion, however, a way I could see this work is during a clashing exchange. When the clash is happening at facehug range you could perhaps push the opponent and his weapon back, creating some distance, without stunning him like a kick would; someone with a longer weapon could play with range this way.

This is not an actual suggestion, but I think it could, in theory, work and actually not be a useless gimmick.

612 449
  • 23 Dec '16
 afiNity

Maybe you could push someone away when clashing by pressing kick at the same time. Doesn't have to be kick but would make somewhat sense

1455 1724
  • 23 Dec '16
 TheEmeraldArcher

I imagine pulling out your dagger would be a mighty fine counter to face hugging

423 367
  • 23 Dec '16
 Carlo_Mano

I suggested this feature more because it looks cool than for the face hugging issues ^^

1442 958
  • 23 Dec '16
 mrjoe

I think that if two players facehug each other, the animation set should change to include something like this, but as soon as the players step back from each other it should return to normal. You'd still be able to stab and such, it'd just look slightly different.

946 712
  • 23 Dec '16
 SirZombiethe3rd

We should keep the game consistent and not mess with the flow of combat imho
Would probably mess with 1vX's

934 1634
  • 23 Dec '16
 Smokingbobs

@SirZombiethe3rd said:

It doesn't have to be like that. It would fuck with the flow as much as clashes do atm. (that is the way I explained it in my first comment)

946 712
  • 23 Dec '16
 SirZombiethe3rd

@Smokingbobs said:

@SirZombiethe3rd said:

It doesn't have to be like that. It would fuck with the flow as much as clashes do atm. (that is the way I explained it in my first comment)

Your way could work but wouldn't it still make the game inconsistent? I don't see why you can't just walk backwards or kick him instead.

1805 1120
  • 23 Dec '16
 Humble Staff

Im not a fan of exagerated binding, so no thanks. It looks stupid, is impractical and it only serves for dramatic purposes. Me no like.

90 116
  • 24 Dec '16
 das

Kicks completely obliterated facehuggers in Slasher and they probably will in Mordhau as well. Chambers completely nullify the effectiveness of Chivalry's SoW facehug stab feint spam.

Sword pushing is also stupid and impractical when you factor in MUH REALISM (DEY MAKE BETTER MORE FUNNEST GAME MUHCANICS BECAUSE.. MUH REALISM, I ALSO HOPE THERE IS BUTTONS FOR BREATHING IN AND OUT SO YOU PRACTICE BREATHING TECHNIQUE AND RAISE SKILL CEILING IN VIDEO GAME), in reality enemies would just divert the momentum away and go for another strike or disengage. It does look cool in Star Wars and stuff though.

1805 1120
  • 24 Dec '16
 Humble Staff

Mordhau is not realistic yes, but is realistic enough to not allow stupid shit like chivalry's "god" tier mehanix. Exagerated sword binding falls in that category in my honest opinion.

3885 4913
  • 24 Dec '16
 ToLazy4Name

No one actually locks blades like that stupid and dumb

1455 1724
  • 24 Dec '16
 TheEmeraldArcher

@ToLazy4Name said:

HOLD TF UP WHERE WERE YOU? Did you carve your way out of the grand salamander's stomach?!?!?!

3885 4913
  • 24 Dec '16
 ToLazy4Name

@TheEmeraldArcher said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

HOLD TF UP WHERE WERE YOU? Did you carve your way out of the grand salamander's stomach?!?!?!

I'll explain later gor now just agree with my superior logics

1805 1120
  • 25 Dec '16
 Humble Staff

LAZY IS BAAAAAAACK

58 115
  • 26 Dec '16
 Alphonse

Would be nice if you could use the butt of your weapon as a fast punch of sorts to push the other guy back, some weapons being more effective at this, but the kick serves pretty much the same purpose.

At any rate, sword pushing or sword locking (at least as what you see in movies) is retarded.

Do the following mental exercise to understand why.

Picture yourself holding a stick with both hands as if it was a sword. Then picture an imaginary adversary in front of you, also holding a stick with 2 hands. He closes in and charges you with his grip foremost, aiming slightly above your grip (where the ricasso would be). You parry the attack and both you and him are locked in a fierce pushing motion in opposing directions. Yes. Just like in the movies!

Then 1 second later, imagine you put a little more strength and twist into your push, trying to pivot the stick around the point of contact between both sticks. What will happen is that you'll probably hit the other guy in the head with a little bit of luck.

Now do the same exercise but replace the sticks with sharp blades. It's pretty stupid and dangerous.

If someone is still not convinced, I drew some scientific diagrams to demonstrate my point:

fff.jpg

1805 1120
  • 26 Dec '16
 Humble Staff

Oh my goodnes dev team you have to hire Alphonse for animations the talent is right there!!!

1084 1515
  • 26 Dec '16
 DerFurst

@Alphonse said:

fff.jpg

Saddest animoo death of 2016

On a related note, even in Star Wars games like Jedi Academy, saber locks harmed the flow of gameplay and were quite irregular, and so were removed for multiplayer. If this mechanic wasn't fitting even in a Star Wars game, I doubt it would be in Mordhau.