Mordhau

Ballerinas need to go

52 101
  • 28 Jun
 Erwinicus

I think that maybe the mordhau devs have better ideas than some ape-like creature who's only stroke of brilliance is posting a stupid thread on a forum.

BTW here's my idea for how to make Mordhau better

100 52
  • 28 Jun
 Minion

I'm not pushing any idea, not sure why lazy is fixated on that, i said maybe the devs should use a testing server for anything.

the game has lost over 70% of its player base in barely 2 months, so maybe they were taking the wrong suggestions

524 570
  • 28 Jun
 Deadmode

The game will lose players after release, this is normal. It's also been discussed to death in other threads. TLDR is that Mordhau's playerbase at launch and retention far surpasses that of Chiv, so it's all gravy really.

@Minion You obviously didn't read my earlier post. Also, Crush, who is largely behind the animations and combat balancing, is an extremely active member of the top-tier scene and is constantly in touch with the players discussing the balance of combat as the game goes forward. Your half-baked suggestions about mouselook capping and game setting restrictions are not even worth glancing over compared to the wealth of information regarding the combat he gets everyday from playing and participating in the highest level of Mordhau play.

Now, I will agree with you that a test branch can be handy, but the lack of one is not detrimental either if you have a decent testing base to access anyway. Test branches are only really used in games to stress-test systems on a larger base than what is available in-house. Mordhau isn't crying out for this yet.

Please also bear in mind the rampant success and frantic couple of months Triternion have experienced. They have heaps of stuff to accomplish both with the game but also business-related issues to tackle and resolve too. A test branch is not something we'll see soon, even if it was on their list of todos (which I don't think it is).

So, there is nothing that you can do right now other than sink hours in and get better at the game. No landmark combat changes will happen and no test branch is coming out.

100 52
  • 28 Jun
 Minion

@Minion You obviously didn't read my earlier post. Also, Crush, who is largely behind the animations and combat balancing, is an extremely active member of the top-tier scene and is constantly in touch with the players discussing the balance of combat as the game goes forward. Your half-baked suggestions about mouselook capping and game setting restrictions are not even worth glancing over compared to the wealth of information regarding the combat he gets everyday from playing and participating in the highest level of Mordhau play.

That i would say is a problem, basing your development off the smallest percent of your player pop is just going to alienate the rest

524 570
  • 29 Jun
 Deadmode

@Minion said:
That i would say is a problem, basing your development off the smallest percent of your player pop is just going to alienate the rest

It's the core community that the game was made by, was made for and will be playing the game long after the casual players have left.

Just because they hit large success does not mean they will suddenly change everything to suit a new influx of people. No, it is still the same game they set out to make all those years ago.

100 52
  • 29 Jun
 Minion

thats a quickway to end up like tornbanner

777 1030

@Minion said:
thats a quickway to end up like tornbanner

Oh no! So you mean Tri will be a successful indie dev and still be making games in ten years? oh the humanity

100 52
  • 29 Jun
 Minion

lol successful. they made one game, dw tanked, mirage was a smashing hit huh. I cant wait to buy their stuff off the epic launcher

777 1030

@Minion said:
lol successful. they made one game, dw tanked, mirage was a smashing hit huh. I cant wait to buy their stuff off the epic launcher

Do you understand what successful means? Do you realize how many developers have gone out of business in the past decade? They are still making games so they are objectively successful, making your statement as stupid as.... well any other comment you make i guess. Just stop bro

Oh ya and the dumbest thing about what you just said is the failures you are listing are due to listening to casuals, like you.

100 52
  • 29 Jun
 Minion

Oh yah alot of casuals raved for deadliest warrior and mirage, and whether their even producing chiv 2 without the aid of epic is up in the air.

your trying to hard to suck up bro, there is a great part about them not listening to casuals such as myself and the rest of the community. Any failures to date can be blamed on pros i guess.

1550 1617

@Deadmode said:
Now, I will agree with you that a test branch can be handy, but the lack of one is not detrimental either if you have a decent testing base to access anyway. Test branches are only really used in games to stress-test systems on a larger base than what is available in-house. Mordhau isn't crying out for this yet.

Please also bear in mind the rampant success and frantic couple of months Triternion have experienced. They have heaps of stuff to accomplish both with the game but also business-related issues to tackle and resolve too. A test branch is not something we'll see soon, even if it was on their list of todos (which I don't think it is).

So, there is nothing that you can do right now other than sink hours in and get better at the game. No landmark combat changes will happen and no test branch is coming out.

That's a lot of blind faith towards developers that released Crossroads and Taiga in horribly unbalanced states and a comp scene that thinks duels and skirmish are the best the game has to offer. Listening to the so-called "debate" about health regen has illustrated pretty good where all the balancing problems stem from. They talked for hours about a non-issue. It probably would have taken less than two hours to just implement the server option.

The lack of testing is detrimental. Various of the alpha players have pointed that out long ago. So it's not really adequate to refer to them to defend the lack of testing.

524 570
  • 29 Jun
 Deadmode

@SWSeriousMike

That debate wasn't over a non-issue, as regen drastically changes the meta. Also, just because 2 players couldn't agree or find an obvious solution that fit both standpoints in one debate doesn't mean that those guys are not the right source for input on balancing.

The only crime I can accuse the top-tier of is still being too much of a clique and not enough being done to hype the comp scene and make it easy for newcomers to the scene to get involved.

Seeing as Mordhau's core combat is excellent shows how well that aspect has been balanced. The issue with Frontline is that is was a rushed mode for release, and subsequent content for it equally rushed as a result. This has nothing to do with combat balancing, which is the topic being discussed.

1550 1617

Health regen is only an issue in 2v2 .. 5v5 skirmishes. The time it took to discuss this matter it could have already been resolved. The server setting is probably already a thing, because regen is deactivated for Horde and BR.

They didn't talk about health regen in Frontline, which is still the most popular game mode. There are so many issues in the game. And this pointless discussion took hours of attention from the guy who is arguably responsible for the balancing.

524 570
  • 29 Jun
 Deadmode

@SWSeriousMike said:
They didn't talk about health regen in Frontline, which is still the most popular game mode.

Not for comp play currently.

I was trying to explain that the combat has been built and refined by people who have far more knowledge and understanding of how the combat works and that is still the primary source of balancing the combat system.

You are also confusing balancing the combat system with fixing broken gamemodes. In this thread, we are talking about the combat.

The point is that there are numerous threads suggesting balancing changes by people who have extremely limited time in the genre and do not understand how the combat works. Players get frustrated because they lose to certain things and then come here to try and get them removed or nerfed. This thread is yet another of them (started by Botas, no less).

1550 1617

@Deadmode said:
Not for comp play currently.

99.99% of the players are not in the comp scene. And the comp scene will hardly expand if they stick to skirmish and duels. So when I say that wasting that much time of with a handful of comp players is bad because they play the least popular game modes, the statement "Not for comp" is completely useless.

I was trying to explain that the combat has been built and refined by people who have far more knowledge and understanding of how the combat works and that is still the primary source of balancing the combat system.

You are also confusing balancing the combat system with fixing broken gamemodes. In this thread, we are talking about the combat.

The point is that there are numerous threads suggesting balancing changes by people who have extremely limited time in the genre and do not understand how the combat works. Players get frustrated because they lose to certain things and then come here to try and get them removed or nerfed. This thread is yet another of them (started by Botas, no less).

Horses are broken in every game mode. Shields are bad in every game mode. 2h weapons are dominant in every game mode. Archery and Huntsman are questionable in every game mode. Dodge is questionable in every game mode.

Maps are completely unbalanced in the most popular game mode. You are defending everything and every mistake made. The decision to almost exclusively listen to people who don't bother with the majority of the content has lead to this point. I don't understand why you want to defend it.

524 570
  • 29 Jun
 Deadmode

@SWSeriousMike said:
And the comp scene will hardly expand if they stick to skirmish and duels.

That's because there is a severe lack of a competitive set of gamemodes, not because the comp scene want to stick to SKM and 1v1.

@SWSeriousMike said:
So when I say that wasting that much time of with a handful of comp players is bad because they play the least popular game modes, the statement "Not for comp" is completely useless.

When we have better support for competitive modes, starting with ranked 1v1 coming soon, the comp scene will grow. I also said 'not for comp, currently', to reflect this. In time, with better modes all round, the comp scene will expand to include more.

@SWSeriousMike said:
Horses are broken in every game mode. Shields are bad in every game mode. 2h weapons are dominant in every game mode. Archery and Huntsman are questionable in every game mode. Dodge is questionable in every game mode.

Horses are a Frontline thing so can be grouped in with the reasons for Frontline being shit. Ranged weapons and associated perks are a sideline class that is hard to fit into the game anyway, so I can see why this isn't great yet. Shields are hard to get right in a way that is best for all modes. You can balance them for FL and ruin them for everything else and vice versa. It's also balancing them in a way that they are not a crutch that bypasses the complexities and mechanics of the combat system.

2h weapons do not dominate every game mode. Whilst ES and WA/BA are strong and Zwei too, BS, HHA and Mace do exceptionally well in duels.

@SWSeriousMike said:
Maps are completely unbalanced in the most popular game mode. You are defending everything and every mistake made. The decision to almost exclusively listen to people who don't bother with the majority of the content has lead to this point. I don't understand why you want to defend it.

Again, I'm not saying the game is perfect nor balanced exactly yet. You also keep talking about game modes when this discussion is about combat mechanics. My point (to explain again) is that threads like these are started from baseless frustration and do not stand up to any serious scrutiny from anyone who understands the combat system fully, such as an experienced player would.

Please keep this on topic.

1550 1617

@Deadmode said:
Horses are a Frontline thing so can be grouped in with the reasons for Frontline being shit. Ranged weapons and associated perks are a sideline class that is hard to fit into the game anyway, so I can see why this isn't great yet. Shields are hard to get right in a way that is best for all modes. You can balance them for FL and ruin them for everything else and vice versa. It's also balancing them in a way that they are not a crutch that bypasses the complexities and mechanics of the combat system.

2h weapons do not dominate every game mode. Whilst ES and WA/BA are strong and Zwei too, BS, HHA and Mace do exceptionally well in duels.

I hope you can understand how frustrating it is to read these convenient excuses.

524 570
  • 29 Jun
 Deadmode

@SWSeriousMike said:
I hope you can understand how frustrating it is to read these convenient excuses.

I have never argued that Frontline is fine. I know it is broken af. However, elements of the game specific to that mode are just that.

I have not said that shields and archery are fine either, just that I can understand why they are in the state they are due to the difficulty in balancing them in such a game as this.

The only thing I have disagreed with is your 2h statement.

777 1030

Best accel of all time. uses his lunge nicely to land his hit furst. Totally unrealistic tho

78 46
  • 29 Jun
 Cheto

@LuxCandidus said:

@2B said:
The only fix I can think of to fix Drag and Speed, even though it's not really a Bug, just... exploiting... a Game Mechanic, is to Lock where you face for the Duration as you swing. meaning once you Swing there is no way to change where your looking till it's done. Even that can have problems too, there is no fix for this that I can see.

Maybe there is no fix because there is no issue to begin with, just a mechanic working as designed and intended. I am against only the most elite of players having a say regarding the state of the game, but when feedback comes from not even understanding the mechanics or point of the combat system, said feedback is worthless, occupies the developers' time, and buries other people's more sensible feedback.

In case an explanation is really needed: the very foundation of the genre is its free form swings allowing you to redirect your attacks, aim for the head only to switch to the legs, or to switch to a different opponent entirely, to manipulate the timing of your attack in order to throw off your opponent, and to have incredibly accurate hitboxes due to the real-time calculation of the swings. With lock-on the game would just be first-person Dark Souls PvP, it would be impossible to fight multiple opponents at once, and the significant overhead of swings being calculated in real-time would be a pointless waste of performance.

Really funny because you in your idiotic mind think that the game actually looks "realistic",stop disgising as a "neutral" person you are an elitist cunt too.