Mordhau

Absurd shield hitbox

42 47

My pal and I were playing some duels until we found out about this. Turns out the kite shield has a way bigger hitbox than it should have. Devs, if you wanna keep the game balanced please lower the hitbox, or make it somewhat appropriate to the shields dimensions.
giphy (3).gif

uploading giphy-downsized-large.gif

523 566
  • 20 Jun
 Deadmode

This is well known. Do some research. There is a valid reason for this.

I'll help you: it's to make shields valid in large XvX situations like frontline otherwise they were practically useless.

Let's not go down another shield thread rabbit hole though eh.

777 1029

Nah doesn't matter if hitboxes match the models on this game. That's not what the game is about at all. Just stretch that things hitbox all around the player in all directions, nobody will notice.

210 197
  • 20 Jun
 recurf

edit your .ini files and walk through the shield, duh

110 96
  • 20 Jun
 BOBOLOJOE

i agree hit box is too large
shields are for people who can't time a parry or need to get close to an archer.
you should need to aim your shield to block a strike

247 143

"muh shields are for people who can't parry"
Yes, or maybe they want to actually push ahead in frontline, a task shields are exceptionally useful for.
i'd love to see you parry each and every swing from those 4-5 guys surrounding you while chopping away.

you know what, if i was to go by your own logic, then all 2H users are just noobs who can't survive and need a big 1-hit kill weapon to get any kills... hah, see? i can say retarded shit too.

30 46
  • 21 Jun
 Treusturm

I don't understand all this talk about shields not being useful. It blocking ranged attacks should be more than enough reason for it to be useful. But not only it does that, it gives you an option to ignore 90% percent of the game mechanics while defending and using them while attacking. It somehow even gives you a riposte.
In frontline, 4-6 friends joining a game with shields shuts down all the enjoyment of the game for me and it happens more and more often lately.

367 340
  • 21 Jun
 Peacerer

@ValiantFouzy said:
Devs, if you wanna keep the game balanced please lower the hitbox, or make it somewhat appropriate to the shields dimensions.

Devs, while you're already at lowering hitboxes, make it appropriate for the weapons' dimensions as well.

Knight 138 303
  • 21 Jun
 Sir Boring

You guys should've seen when shields had 100% accurate hitboxes during alpha. Let me tell you... Absolutely impossible to block with.

777 1029

@Peacerer said:

@ValiantFouzy said:
Devs, if you wanna keep the game balanced please lower the hitbox, or make it somewhat appropriate to the shields dimensions.

Devs, while you're already at lowering hitboxes, make it appropriate for the weapons' dimensions as well.

I like how you say this ironically as if it would be a bad idea. Meanwhile a dagger should definitely have a smaller parry box than a zwi, AND if 1 handers had smaller parry boxes suddenly shields have a fucking purpose.

42 47

Hmm, well this was new to me surprisingly and it seemed hella strange. Never knew it really had a purpose... Thank you guys for your inputs

25 4
  • 21 Jun
 Sarevok

As a main shield user that isn't as skilled with parrying while using a 2h weapon and prefers to be on the frontline, I agree the hitbox should be a little more accurate and require the shield user to aim his blocks a little more than what the OP shows in the gif. This probably only goes for the kite shield as I still have players get around my heater shield by dragging longer reaching weapons, mainly spears, either high or low and then towards my head or legs fully bypassing my shield even though I am looking in the direction of the stab.

214 178
  • 21 Jun
 Dialectic

Copy pasting what that other dude keeps saying: "just remove held block."

Knight 7643 14027
  • 21 Jun
 ToLazy4Name

Yeah I agree with the other dude as well

214 178
  • 21 Jun
 Dialectic

Yeah him. That dude

777 1029

I think it's fun trying to block with a smaller parry, and it is fun trying to drag around shields.

717 591

i don't like when games lie to you about hitbox sizes

367 340
  • 21 Jun
 Peacerer

Record a few random duels with ANY weapon, not even necessary higher skilled players, and observe it at like 10% speed. You will see how ridiculous game is made. Because Triternion wants fights that look like fights.

1083 1717

Another Shield Thread: Chapter 8

If shields get a pass for timing they should be strict to location... or at least much stricter. Getting around a shield, even in a controlled dueling environment is very difficult, and if the attacker's ping is high, then it becomes much harder to hit around due the way hits are communicated server vs client and how drags get gimped by ping.

BY THE WAY I main shield most of the time... and I find shields exceptionally annoying this patch to fight. Patch 14/15 of the alpha had very strict locational shield parries and this played out WONDERFULLY for everyone. Shields should not be implemented as crutches as noobs.. but as a viable tool for holding blocks at the cost of being restricted to only one handed weapons. Make shields read again. KICKING IS NOT THE WAY.

42 47

I dont believe this imaginary hitbox should be removed, but rather reduced in a way that'll make shields more openable