Mordhau

Horned helmets

158 110

@Alphonse said:

@LetsFightíngLöve said:
296px-KHM_Wien_B_74_-_Great_helm_of_Albert_von_Prankh,_14th_century,_front.jpg
https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:KHM_Wien_B_74_-_Great_helm_of_Albert_von_Prankh,_14th_century,_front.jpg#mw-jump-to-license

That's a funeral helmet.

The burial helmet of the family of Pranckh is one of the most famous crested medieval bucket helmets, the only other existing specimen is the one from the Black Prince of Canterbury

The other crested helms I know of were used in tournaments and in processions, not in actual combat / war.

No, actually it was a tournament helm. The nicks on the right side of the ornamentation would seem to suggest that his sword (or other weapon) came in contact with the helm a few times, assuming he was right handed.

But that's an arbitrary note as it was in fact likely used in medieval combat at the 14th century, tournament or otherwise.

158 110

Devs could also add a seperate muh realism button to toggle fantasy / historical cosmetics seperate for the one to toggle women, for when you're feeling like playing historical or fantasy

1332 3845

sorry mate but every ones right horned helmets never existed on the battle field there just way dangerous for the wearer because its super easy to get a weapon caught on them whichs moves the helmet then blinds the wearer there 100% fantasy and as for being depicted in medieval art work well....70bc9cdac671350b4424fabf152403f2.jpgye old memers did exist back then

Knight 2247 4038
  • 19 Jun
 Runagate

If you're gonna be drinking liters of wine and copying texts all day in a monastery for literally all of your life you will eventually start drawing funny things

Imagine being the monk that came up with that thing, dude probably laughed for hours

210 197
  • 19 Jun
 recurf

Teutonic helmets would be cool

download.jpg1024px-KHM_Wien_B_74_-_Great_helm_of_Albert_von_Prankh,_14th_century,_front.jpg

158 110

@TombstoneJack said:
sorry mate but every ones right horned helmets never existed on the battle field there just way dangerous for the wearer because its super easy to get a weapon caught on them whichs moves the helmet then blinds the wearer there 100% fantasy and as for being depicted in medieval art work well....70bc9cdac671350b4424fabf152403f2.jpgye old memers did exist back then

Nah mate the horned teutonic helm clearly saw use in combat, either battle or in tournaments. You can see the marks on the right hand side of the horns are chipped. Despite the fact side horns may be seen as impractical, there are many accounts of impractical weapons and armour being used in combat in history*. But the horned teutonic helmet above most definitely saw use in combat, noting it does have a slightly less obstructive design with entirely upward facing horns.

*from Horned Helmet page on Wikipedia
error: error

4 3
  • 19 Jun
 Henrik

@LetsFightíngLöve said:
There are plenty of accounts of vikings and barbarians using horned helmets, so it isn't actually.

Really?!

Making false statements doesn't make it historically accurate or real for that matter...just so you know!

158 110

@Henrik said:

@LetsFightíngLöve said:
There are plenty of accounts of vikings and barbarians using horned helmets, so it isn't actually.

Really?!

Making false statements doesn't make it historically accurate or real for that matter...just so you know!

Look at my above post you will see horned helms were used in combat and tournaments, teutonic horned helm being one example.

158 110

Whether horned helmets are historical or not, or fantastical, it is irrelevant as the fantastic cosmetics could be disabled with a toggle the same way women will be. It wouldn't hurt having one or two horned helmets though, seeing as women wont have reduced stat points due to being anatomically weaker or forced into using frying pan/medic bag, or 'historically accurate and realistic' loadouts.

Mordhau isn't trying to be an entirely historically accurate or realistic game (you wouldn't be able to drag stabs or peirce heavy armour with blades if it was), and rapiers were invented 100-200 years after guns, so theres no issue in implementing horned helmets depicted in art at the time as anachronisms, like the rapier, or implementation of historically accurate helms like the teutonic horned helm, as its a 14th century helm and it was clearly used in combat and/or tournaments judging by the chipped horn edges on the right hand side of the horn above the right arm.

Other horned helmets depicted in art (besides the Helmet of Valdemar the Conqueror as it is historically appropriate from the 1300s) after the 14th century in the romanticism era, are anachronisms and not fantastical, as helmets such as the teutonic great helm of albert von pranckh were used in combat in the 14th century, and others were in fact used.

From Horned Helmet wiki page:
During the High Middle Ages, fantastical headgear became popular among knights, in particular for tournaments.[9] ...
It is sometimes argued that helmets with large protuberances would not have been worn in battle due to the impediment to their wearer. However, impractical adornments have been worn on battlefields throughout history.

158 110

So in summary a *tl:dr of the above post is: There are historically accurate (14th century) horned helms which were used in tournaments and combat, and that concomitantly makes any horned helmets depicted in art from the romanticism era or high-medieval ages anachronisms like the rapier (outside the 14th century timeframe) and not fantastical.

A historical/fantastical cosmetic toggle could be implemented on certain cosmetics to disable them though. I'm sure realism fanatics would appreciate it.

Perhaps cosmetic horned helmets could be added as high level cosmetics (a short horned helmet at level 60, and long horned ones at level 100-120) so players have something to strive towards achieving to keep them invested in the game for a long time, and to keep the horned helmets somewhat rare and not overused.

Knight 469 913
  • 19 Jun
 wierHL

These days I almost exclusively listen to psychedelic trance. You should give it a listen
https://youtu.be/4ah4S5zYWyw?t=01m20s

Hey thanks I'll check it out.

The way I see it hemets appropriated from art wouldnt be fantasy helmets, but rather romanticism era helmets depicted in the art of the time would be anachronisms.

Romanticism era was late 18th - 19th century, people weren't wearing horned helmets then either. The artists of the time worked from imagination, that's about as fantasy as it gets. You've also yet to show any romanticism era depictions of horned helmets.

Whether horned helmets are historical or not, or fantastical, it is irrelevant as the fantastic cosmetics could be disabled with a toggle the same way women will be. It wouldn't hurt having one or two horned helmets though, seeing as women wont have reduced stat points due to being anatomically weaker or forced into using frying pan/medic bag, or 'historically accurate and realistic' loadouts.

I'd rather see development time go into adding more historical pieces (like the one greathelm of Von Prackh you posted) than diving into fantasy like the helmets from your first post. Crested helmets like that one you posted are fine imo, as are women. If Warband could pull it off without looking dumb, so can Mordhau.

Other horned helmets depicted in art (besides the Helmet of Valdemar the Conqueror as it is historically appropriate from the 1300s) after the 14th century in the romanticism era, are anachronisms and not fantastical, as helmets such as the teutonic great helm of albert von pranckh were used in combat in the 14th century, and others were in fact used.

That's a jump in logic. Von Pranckh's helmet is a real physical helmet. Of Valdemar's helmet we have nothing but a simplistic drawing.

From Horned Helmet wiki page:
During the High Middle Ages, fantastical headgear became popular among knights, in particular for tournaments.[9] ...
It is sometimes argued that helmets with large protuberances would not have been worn in battle due to the impediment to their wearer. However, impractical adornments have been worn on battlefields throughout history.

That section of the article has exactly 1 citation and it just refers to another simplistic illustration.

Codex_Manesse_149v_Wolfram_von_Eschenbach.jpg

There are historically accurate (14th century) horned helms which were used in tournaments and combat, and that concomitantly makes any horned helmets depicted in art from the romanticism era or high-medieval ages anachronisms like the rapier (outside the 14th century timeframe) and not fantastical.

That's the same jump in logic. A greathelm with horns mounted on top clearly existed, but that doesn't make everything from romanticist art (of which you haven't posted any) real.

The only actual medieval horned helmet you posted is the one of Von Pranchk. I'd also like to see that one added as a high level unlock. As you said, they should stay somewhat rare and not overused.
I've tried looking for other examples but most are from the antiquity or Asia (best saved for a later expansion). I found this thing though:
Antelope_helmet_(14024683727).jpg
Supposedly belonged to Skanderberg. I think it's neat but others may think it looks too ridiculous. If they ever added this it would have to be some kind of max level shit or official tournament reward.

Knight 399 868
  • 19 Jun
 Alphonse

Okay, I did some research.

@LetsFightíngLöve said:
No, actually it was a tournament helm. The nicks on the right side of the ornamentation would seem to suggest that his sword (or other weapon) came in contact with the helm a few times, assuming he was right handed.

But that's an arbitrary note as it was in fact likely used in medieval combat at the 14th century, tournament or otherwise.

Still, it was a tournament helm, not a helmet made for actual warfare, so I think it's a silly idea. Your character's hitbox won't be made taller, so missing a swing will look fairly dumb (esp. if the guy crouches).

The horns on that helm are wooden, and most other crests were made of wood, copper sheet and/or boiled leather among other things, basically decorative pieces for the wealthy.

horned1.png

More on crests:

crestsp1.png

crestsp2.png

crests3.png

Some effigies show guys wearing a steel helm plus carrying a crested helm, meaning they probably had gear that was practical for war.

burchard_von_steinberg_s374_r5811_large.jpg

Conscript 227 306

@LetsFightíngLöve said:
d4ed9c4490e1ee160e438050a97b5912.jpg

My guy with the fuckin Deltora Quest! Great books, dunno how much exposure they got overseas but they were big here.

158 110

@KIWI said:

@LetsFightíngLöve said:
d4ed9c4490e1ee160e438050a97b5912.jpg

My guy with the fuckin Deltora Quest! Great books, dunno how much exposure they got overseas but they were big here.

Ayyyuo, Gorl does have a really cool helmet.

42 35
  • 22 Jun
 DonKanaille

I could live with horned helmets if the wearer took extra headshot damage from downward swings. Or if they would be knocked off from the first hit (which would actually be pretty cool).

158 110

@DonKanaille said:
I could live with horned helmets if the wearer took extra headshot damage from downward swings. Or if they would be knocked off from the first hit (which would actually be pretty cool).

The second suggestion possible to do, without altering hitboxes, if the horns are knocked off if the wearer's head was hit. Other helmets don't get knocked off when attacked, so it would just be the horns.

I like that idea, and would prefer that to extra headshot damage if wearing a horned helm, as your first suggestion would turn the helmet into something not entirely cosmetic, but I would prefer it to remain an entirely cosmetic helm, and to minimise the workload on the devs have them implemented as cosmetic helms to start (the idea of the horns being degradable when hit/broken off isn't a bad idea at all though, I'd be happy if they were implemented like that, or just as other existing cosmetic helm skins.)

158 110
1332 3845

@LetsFightíngLöve said:
Le bump

no. no bump

158 110

@TombstoneJack said:

@LetsFightíngLöve said:
Le bump

no. no bump

. >:( Yes Le bump!!