Mordhau

Horned helmets

140 91

Devs can we please get some cosmetic helms added with horns like the chaos helm or malrics helm from chivalry in the future? Or even these other ones?

t2sSKLB.jpgdownload (4).jpeg82582827b887248ffe04293a72dfe6c9.jpgDeltoraQuestJournal-1.jpg

It'd be awesome to have a similar viking/barbarian helmet to the last helmet in the pics with longer horns, either like the ones in the 3rd picture or longer front facing horns.

1286 3791

sorry to "fantasmical" as the kids would say these days

140 91

There are plenty of accounts of vikings and barbarians using horned helmets, so it isn't actually.

images (28).jpegimages (29).jpegimages (27).jpeg

Knight 46 66

@LetsFightíngLöve said:
There are plenty of accounts of vikings and barbarians using horned helmets, so it isn't actually.

Here are some historical examples
images (28).jpegimages (29).jpegimages (27).jpeg
On the contrary, there are almost NO examples of archeological findings supporting Vikings wearing horned helmets. The idea was popularized by opera singers wearing stylized horned helmets.

Knight 460 887
  • 18 Jun
 wierHL

We already have the """chainmail tabard""" and the visored barbutes. Let's not go completely off the deep end please.

140 91

Since we already have rapiers, a sword invented 200 years after guns, and soon many women will be fighting alongside men in the battlefield, it's clear the game isn't going for strict historical accuracy.

Devs should add horned helmets because of this.

Knight 2227 4000
  • 18 Jun
 Runagate

@LetsFightíngLöve said:
There are plenty of accounts of vikings and barbarians using horned helmets, so it isn't actually.

Here are some historical examples
images (28).jpegimages (29).jpegimages (27).jpeg

None of those examples are historical lmao

Knight 46 66

@LetsFightíngLöve said:
Since we already have rapiers, a sword invented 200 years after guns, and soon many women will be fighting alongside men in the battlefield, it's clear the game isn't going for strict historical accuracy.

Devs should add horned helmets because of this.

That’s a better argument

Knight 460 887
  • 18 Jun
 wierHL

There's a difference between anachronisms and adding things that didn't exist to begin with.
The pics you posted are fucking theater props.

140 91

@Runagate said:

@LetsFightíngLöve said:
There are plenty of accounts of vikings and barbarians using horned helmets, so it isn't actually.

Here are some historical examples
images (28).jpegimages (29).jpegimages (27).jpeg

None of those examples are historical lmao

Here's one historical example used by the teutonic knights

296px-KHM_Wien_B_74_-_Great_helm_of_Albert_von_Prankh,_14th_century,_front.jpg

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:KHM_Wien_B_74_-_Great_helm_of_Albert_von_Prankh,_14th_century,_front.jpg#mw-jump-to-license

And another example

Screenshot_2019-06-19-02-39-29-1.png

140 91

@wierHL said:
There's a difference between anachronisms and adding things that didn't exist to begin with.
The pics you posted are fucking theater props.

They were actually depicted in artworks during the romanticism era, so it isn't so far stretched to say that horned helmets depicted in art are in fact anachronisms, notwithstanding there being actual historical examples of horned helmets in history such as the examples in the above two images I posted.

Horned helmets are in fact less of an anachronism than rapiers considering the teutonic knights used them in the 14th century.

Knight 460 887
  • 18 Jun
 wierHL

@LetsFightíngLöve said:

@wierHL said:
There's a difference between anachronisms and adding things that didn't exist to begin with.
The pics you posted are fucking theater props.

They were actually depicted in artworks during the romanticism era, so it isn't so far stretched to say that horned helmets depicted in art are in fact anachronisms, notwithstanding there being actual historical examples of horned helmets in history such as the examples in the above two images I posted.

Horned helmets are in fact less of an anachronism than rapiers considering the teutonic knights used them in the 14th century.

Then why didn't you just start the thread with that Teutonic helmet? Why did you post fantasy helmets?
Your first "historical example" is specifically modeled after Conan the Barbarian. The second one is from a company dedicated to foam weapons meant for LARPing.

I'm replying to a bait thread aren't I?

140 91

@wierHL said:

@LetsFightíngLöve said:

@wierHL said:
There's a difference between anachronisms and adding things that didn't exist to begin with.
The pics you posted are fucking theater props.

They were actually depicted in artworks during the romanticism era, so it isn't so far stretched to say that horned helmets depicted in art are in fact anachronisms, notwithstanding there being actual historical examples of horned helmets in history such as the examples in the above two images I posted.

Horned helmets are in fact less of an anachronism than rapiers considering the teutonic knights used them in the 14th century.

Then why didn't you just start the thread with that Teutonic helmet? Why did you post fantasy helmets?
Your first "historical example" is specifically modeled after Conan the Barbarian. The second one is from a company dedicated to foam weapons meant for LARPing.

I'm replying to a bait thread aren't I?

I posted the first helmets because I'd like to see those added, specifically a helmet design like Malric's helm from Chivalry.

I then went on to argue that the game isnt attempting to be historically accurate, the rapier was just one example I gave.

This isnt a bait thread, I'll be honest at first I just gooogled viking and barbarian helms and dun goofed assuming there were plenty of examples in history.
The teutonic helm and coat of arms when I actually researched for historical examples to satisfy the objections of people crying about muh realism.

The way I see it, the game isnt attempting to be historically accurate, and even some slight variation of horned helmet designs away from historical examples like the teutonic one, or appropriating horned helmet designs found in romanticism art at the time would be historically appropriate, if not anachronisms from the art.

But it doesn't need to be entirely historically accurate because female characters will be added to the game, so a helmet (at least one) like Malric's helm, or the chaos helm should be added too.
If you want historically accurate then women would be made to predominately use loadouts with frying pans and medic bags, which isn't going to happen, nor do I want it to. Rapiers also wouldn't be in the game.

In terms of historically accurate helms I'd like to see the horned greathelm and the helm of Valdemar the Conqueror added.

Knight 460 887
  • 1
  • 18 Jun
 wierHL

Mordhau has been trying to keep some form of grounded medieval/renaissance aesthetic in its equipment pieces. The goofiness comes from what people do with those pieces and on the battlefield. Rapier technically isn't medieval but doesn't clash with the aesthetic. Female warriors clash a bit more, but the devs are including a client-side toggle for female models, so people who think it clashes too much can turn it off.

Malric's helm doesn't look bad or dumb on its own, but would stick out like a sore thumb around the more grounded pieces.
I think I speak for many other forum users when I say I don't want to see the artstyle shift towards fantasy. The current chainmail tabard is already pushing it.

Valdemar's helm... how would the devs even add it? I can't find any reconstruction or detailed drawing of it. A simplistic drawing on a royal coa isn't enough to work with.

As for that Teutonic helm, I'd be ok with it for a high level unlock. It's clearly a normal helmet with a crest, rather than a high fantasy artpiece. May look a bit impractical for combat but that's another argument entirely (see the multiple Frogmouth threads).

Also, I wouldn't take anything from romanticist painters as historically accurate without some deeper research. Their whole shtick was working from feeling and imagination. Referring to historical artifacts or illustrations for accuracy wasn't really the norm during that period.

Final verdict: fantasy-esque helmets should be saved for modded servers. Devs releasing mod tools may help with this.

Knight 460 887
  • 18 Jun
 wierHL

On an unrelated note, this helmet from the OP

82582827b887248ffe04293a72dfe6c9.jpg

looks a lot like the helmet Angus McFife wears on some of the recent Gloryhammer singles.

My favourite band, I recommend giving them a listen if you like powermetal. Their first album also starts off with one of their best songs, it's great.

Knight 460 887
Duke 544 898
  • 18 Jun
 Goatie

At this point I don't see why not. My immersion is already destroyed by skinny naked men throwing firepots yelling 'have at them boys' apparently being mercenaries... It's funny and all but fuck me the game already takes you out of it in so many ways you may as well go a bit fantasy with your level designs and armour as long as its not Elder Scrolls level.

140 91

The way I see it hemets appropriated from art wouldnt be fantasy helmets, but rather romanticism era helmets depicted in the art of the time would be anachronisms.

Since Valdemar the Conqueror lived in the 1300s appropriating his helmet from art wouldn't be an anachronism because it's from the medieval era, you could argue it's historically accurate.

Teutonic helmet with horns is also historically accurate because its from the 14th century (and a less obstructive horned helmet design)
But many impractical and obstructive peices of armour and helmets were worn historically besides horned helmets.

140 91

@wierHL said:
On an unrelated note, this helmet from the OP

82582827b887248ffe04293a72dfe6c9.jpg

looks a lot like the helmet Angus McFife wears on some of the recent Gloryhammer singles.

My favourite band, I recommend giving them a listen if you like powermetal. Their first album also starts off with one of their best songs, it's great.

I don't really listen to much metal anymore, it just doesn't cut it for me.
These days I almost exclusively listen to psychedelic trance. You should give it a listen
https://youtu.be/4ah4S5zYWyw?t=01m20s

Knight 399 868
  • 1
  • 19 Jun
 Alphonse

@LetsFightíngLöve said:
296px-KHM_Wien_B_74_-_Great_helm_of_Albert_von_Prankh,_14th_century,_front.jpg
https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:KHM_Wien_B_74_-_Great_helm_of_Albert_von_Prankh,_14th_century,_front.jpg#mw-jump-to-license

That's a funeral helmet.

The burial helmet of the family of Pranckh is one of the most famous crested medieval bucket helmets, the only other existing specimen is the one from the Black Prince of Canterbury

The other crested helms I know of were used in tournaments and in processions, not in actual combat / war.