Mordhau

Cavalry damage and speed

274 320
  • 17 Jun
 DrGert

Looking for some clarification. I often get one shotted by cavalry not traveling at full speed. Horses have 3 speeds it seems yet when someone is on the first or second speed I’ll still die to one hit by the rider.

To me it seems like..

A. The game recognizes the horse as traveling at full speed if you were to press “W” 3 times although you may not have reached the maximum velocity yet.

B. Riders just simply receive the extra damage bonus traveling at any speed.

Or

C. This could simply just be a client side issue and maybe I’m not seeing the horse traveling at full speed when perhaps it is doing so on my opponents end.

I could be wrong about this so if anyone is able to explain these mechanics to me I’d appreciate it.

If I’m NOT wrong, then this seems totally out of balance and maybe the damage increase given to riders should be changed so that the damage bonus is relative to the speed of the horse.

129 141

It's B mostly. The pending horse re-work is inevitable at this stage, most players hate them.

95 81
  • 17 Jun
 HalldeiMaul

Well I hope there eventually is a spawn/horse fix. As it stands, the people on horse are in oneshot godmode and spawn protection basically does not exist 0.1s after you spawn, so horses on every damn map just rotate through the spawn paths and oneshot people.

What is the point of spawning into oneshot death? How is this fun? How was this never an issue?
These are the things I will never understand about the development cycle.

129 141

They could make mounted shots to the back on a running target deal less damage (considering momentum this makes sense). This would encourage cav to charge head on at the enemy instead of cruising for unsuspecting targets. A few sensible terrain obstacles placed around any open spawn point to deflect cav charges should be mandatory IMO. Red spawn on Crossroads is a good example - the stone formation close to the wall covers your back from cav as you spawn so getting to the ramp feels occasionally dangerous but achievable.

247 145

while we're on the subject of horses... does anyone know why my dude randomly un-couches his lance/spear right before i am about to impact with an enemy, or why he doesn't want to un-couch it when i take my hand off the button/click it once or twice to cancel couch??
its absolutely frustrating... sometimes it won't un-couch when i stop holding down the button, yet other times it un-couches as i furiously mash hold the button down with the intent of keeping it couched.

now i haven't been much of a horseman yet, but i've tried it enough to notice some weird inconsistencies with the couched weapon mechanic.

15 21
  • 18 Jun
 Pepperoni

@ZugZugNeverEnds said:
while we're on the subject of horses... does anyone know why my dude randomly un-couches his lance/spear right before i am about to impact with an enemy, or why he doesn't want to un-couch it when i take my hand off the button/click it once or twice to cancel couch??
its absolutely frustrating... sometimes it won't un-couch when i stop holding down the button, yet other times it un-couches as i furiously mash hold the button down with the intent of keeping it couched.

now i haven't been much of a horseman yet, but i've tried it enough to notice some weird inconsistencies with the couched weapon mechanic.

You need to rightclick to uncouch, if the weapon collides with your horse's head it automatically uncouches.

247 145

@Pepperoni said:

@ZugZugNeverEnds said:

You need to rightclick to uncouch, if the weapon collides with your horse's head it automatically uncouches.

good to know, thanks buddy