Mordhau

Quarterstaff Rework V2

Knight 3303 6769
  • 16 Jun
 Bodkin

All,

With the recent buffs to dagger and cleaver, it is safe to say that Qstaff is even more lackluster than it once was.

Basically I think it should be reworked as a longer, heftier, but more costly respectable weapon with viable dmg and mixups for its reach at the price of 3pts (still keeping it as the cheapest polearm).

Why is this needed? Simply put the damn thing feels weak not only in dmg but also in use, being solely effective at beating up newbs. This is due to a combination of its crap stamina, crap dmg, and mostly its crap release time (active frame drag window). Buffing all of these whilst making it longer helps fill the empty niche of the long blunt polearm while still keeping it relatively quick and snappy so it is unique. In this suggestion, it was slowed slightly to keep it from becoming abusive (for reference, longsword windup is 550ms)

Screenshot_2019-06-16-01-09-272.png

EDIT: Here are the current stats for comparison (open image in new tab to see clearly)

61813295.91999999_20190616005146_1.jpg

61820512.975_20190616005147_1.jpg

download (3).jpeg

61833887.67499999_20190616005151_1.jpg

1397 3953

its a fucking stick anything beyond meme tier is silly

Knight 3303 6769
  • 16 Jun
 Bodkin

A baseball bat is a stick. Do you really think it would do less to armor than a sword would?

A staff is that baseball bat but stretched out. There is nothing silly about it. One of the quintessential weapons during this time period.

Regardless of what you think, cleaver is basically a hunting knife but can 3htk full plate on swings. So honestly dude not only is what you are saying wrong, it is irrelevant for game balance alone.

Knight 601 2018
  • 16 Jun
 LuxCandidus

@TombstoneJack said:

A stick capable of fracturing skulls through plate helmets, one of the most dangerous sparring weapons even with protection.

Yet the carrot is a more powerful weapon. How about we make it more dignified than it is in its current state? Chivalry represented the quarterstaff much better.

14 27
  • 16 Jun
 private_ho

I like the idea, buffing it to 4HTK with 2 strikes and 2 stabs, even then I still think it's only worth 2 points. To be honest, with the dagger and cleaver buffs, not only the quarterstaff but the short sword feels overshadowed too. QS and short sword (and rapier but that's another story) are the only weapons that can't 3HTK on tier 3 armor now.

133 104

The only reason why I bring a quarterstaff is as a lance. If it gets a buff I would actually use it as a side arm

104 70
  • 16 Jun
 urm

Quarterstaff is actually a very strong weapon, I would even argue it's the strongest of all 1/2 point weapons in a duel.

I use it on all of my archer loadouts both in FL and skirmish competitive pugs, and regularly beat players of roughly equal skill with it.

If anything, it might need a slight nerf, not a buff.

524 570
  • 16 Jun
 Deadmode

The speed of it makes up for not being able to be dragged. It's a gambler's dream.

Knight 3303 6769
  • 16 Jun
 Bodkin

@private_ho said:
I like the idea, buffing it to 4HTK with 2 strikes and 2 stabs, even then I still think it's only worth 2 points. To be honest, with the dagger and cleaver buffs, not only the quarterstaff but the short sword feels overshadowed too. QS and short sword (and rapier but that's another story) are the only weapons that can't 3HTK on tier 3 armor now.

The headshots are where the dmg is at in this model. It is also a bit longer and draggier with slightly more windup.

Headshot swing to t3 being 45 dmg.

Knight 3303 6769
  • 16 Jun
 Bodkin

@Deadmode said:
The speed of it makes up for not being able to be dragged. It's a gambler's dream.

@urm said:
Quarterstaff is actually a very strong weapon, I would even argue it's the strongest of all 1/2 point weapons in a duel.

I use it on all of my archer loadouts both in FL and skirmish competitive pugs, and regularly beat players of roughly equal skill with it.

If anything, it might need a slight nerf, not a buff.

Speed is not that much of an advantage against experienced players, oftentimes the opposite unless it is paired with decent dragging.

It also is not nearly as fast as most think it is.

61813295.91999999_20190616005146_1.jpg

Windup is 525ms. That is literally the same as messer and 2h bastard sword.

Only reason qstaff seems fast is that it has 0 draggability and hits quick off the windup. This also means that it is an extremely easy weapon to read, with average windup speed and no control after the swing goes out.

Anyone who regularly gets killed by Qstaff is legit having a l2p issue

Knight 3303 6769
  • 25 Jul
 Bodkin

Bump tbh why tf not

Sellsword 763 2295
  • 25 Jul
 Goof

@LuxCandidus said:

@TombstoneJack said:

A stick capable of fracturing skulls through plate helmets, one of the most dangerous sparring weapons even with protection.

Yet the carrot is a more powerful weapon. How about we make it more dignified than it is in its current state? Chivalry represented the quarterstaff much better.

I've literally NEVER seen the carrot. Someone pls help.

Knight 601 2018
  • 25 Jul
 LuxCandidus

@Goof said:
I've literally NEVER seen the carrot. Someone pls help.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1796187735

350 143

I think it would be cool to only buff its damage vs naked and t3 armor, maybe t2 armor a bit aswell. Especially head hits.
Light Armor (more cloth, leather, soft materials) and chainmail (flexible, although being hard)
should be rather resistant. Also keep in mind it's a 1 cost weapon that at least I used mainly for blocking with my archers.
It shouldn't be too strong, considering the cleaver and short sword in comparison it could definetely use a buff. Your Damage numbers seem a little high, but the general intent is nice.
Also, staff should deal MORE damage to legs and heads in general, and maybe even 2 shot unarmored legs, 4 shot T1 and above.
For Heads, I suggest 2 shot on unarmored (60-70) and 3 shot on t1 (38) and t2 (36) and also t3 (42).
For Legs, I suggest 50-60 for unarmored, 30 for t1, 28 for t2, 25 for t3.
Torso damage should stay low, it'll hurt but some can fight with a broken rib. 35 to unarmored, 24 on t1, 20 on t2, 20 on t3.
All damage in main mode.

Knight 3303 6769
  • 25 Jul
 Bodkin

@PC_Principal said:
Also keep in mind it's a 1 cost weapon that at least I used mainly for blocking with my archers.

My suggestion was to make it 3pts so you can make it viable.

Rn the other 1pts are just better

Theres a lot more stats to a weapon than damage. If you compare the current stats to mine you will see that mine is 10cm longer (same as billhook), has 75ms more release time (better drags) and slightly slower on windup to keep it from being busted after these changes. The stamina game is also improved to reflect the fact that it is a 3pt 2h impact weapon instead of 1pt meme stick.

With 3pts in mind, these changes are viable and balanced

350 143

sure but it should still do more damage to legs than torso. Hitting knees / shin bone with such a weapon really hurts, as opposed to a belly slap or on the back.

Knight 3303 6769
  • 26 Jul
 Bodkin

This game is pretty far from a simulator, having things like cleaver 3htk plate torso. Not to mention swords in general.

I know where you are coming from but the change you are proposing would reduce its effectiveness in teamplay pretty substantially at no real benefit.

What you are saying is something that could be argued for every blunt weapon in the game yet there is a reason this is not the case. Leg hits are not very reliable outside of pubs.

350 143

So you want a 1v1 viable Quarterstaff?
Sure the game isn't a simulator, but some aspects are more, others are less realistic. As far as weapon realism goes, I'm rather satisfied with sword damage so far, mace and other blunt weapons deal almost the same damage to unarmored than they do to t3. So why not make the staff hurt the KNEES and punish players who don't use leg armor at all with 2 hits?
I think it should still be avaiable for archers for 1, 2 points at max because I feel like it's the best weapon for blocking (except a shield)
It's rather weak, deserving of a small buff, however I don't like that you made it a bit slower.

529 280

@Bodkin said:
A baseball bat is a stick. Do you really think it would do less to armor than a sword would?

A staff is that baseball bat but stretched out. There is nothing silly about it. One of the quintessential weapons during this time period.

Regardless of what you think, cleaver is basically a hunting knife but can 3htk full plate on swings. So honestly dude not only is what you are saying wrong, it is irrelevant for game balance alone.

I think they had baseball bat type clubs back then.

I too would like some alternative of the quarterstaff, a buffed version with higher point value.

Knight 3303 6769
  • 4 Aug
 Bodkin

@Christian2222 said:

@Bodkin said:

I think they had baseball bat type clubs back then.

I too would like some alternative of the quarterstaff, a buffed version with higher point value.

No I meant making the Qstaff itself better. There's no point in having it 1pt and making it worse than a hunting knife because it costs the same and is longer. Better to make it a viable weapon and raise the price.