Mordhau

Your game will never be popular with RNG mechanics

156 130

@Deadmode said:
@alonesilverwolf You do realise you are comparing Mordhau’s numbers when it’s only a month old. Look at those Rust numbers again, they declined for well over a year. You can only compare like-for-like genre games over the same periods.

As others have stated; this is a niche game with a small target audience. You can’t start panicking because the fad players leave for the next hot twitch title. Let’s see what the state of play is in 6 months or a year’s time.

Also, it’ll likely take nearly half a year to hire new people into the team, get them up to speed, get them working on projects and then for us to see that content released. Anything between now and then is going to be based on what the small dev team can do whilst building the business on the back end.

So even if they wanted to hammer out content to keep the more casual audience from getting bored, they can’t. There’s a limit to what is possible.

The numbers will decline still, as is the way for a long time yet with many games, but in time we should see a note stable core community. I’m afraid to say, it likely won’t have numbers near the launch figures because those who stick around for Mordhau are the niche target audience to begin with.

If the decline DOES stabilize, cool. I want the game to succeed. But until the devs fix some glaring flaws, it will continue to decline. THAT'S all I'm saying. It seems pretty off the norm for the playerbase to tank as much as it has, as quickly as it has.

214 179
  • 17 Jun
 Dialectic

In this thread we learn about people who panic sell stocks

Knight 7759 14266
  • 17 Jun
 ToLazy4Name

I'm still HODL'ing my 20k bitcoins

312 244
  • 17 Jun
 LoPan

@Dialectic said:
In this thread we learn about people who panic sell stocks

😂😂😂

214 179
  • 17 Jun
 Dialectic

Chivalry
https://steamcharts.com/app/219640#All

Launched with peak of 24k, dropped to 8500 in one month, 3500 in two months

Mordhau
https://steamcharts.com/app/629760

Launched with peak of 60k, dropped to 47k in one month, 20k in nearly two months. Mordhau's second month after dropping is as good as chivalry's launch (according to these charts).

Chivalry lost 65% of its players in first month, total of 85% by the second month. Mordhau lost 22% of players I'm first month, total of 67% by nearly second month.

Not only is mordhau doing better than it's predecessor with total players, but it's also retaining more players. (According to these charts)

Further, it has a more solid foundation, so new objective modes and maps will improve it over time.

Another comparable title is Mirage Arcane Warfare
https://steamcharts.com/app/368420

Launched with peak of 43k, dropped to 509 in one month, increased to 534 in second month. That's a loss of 99% in one month.

Chivalry's 60 day retention rate was 15%, arcanes 60 day retention rate was 1%, and so far mordhaus retention rate is 33% (according to these charts)

312 244
  • 17 Jun
 LoPan

@Dialectic said:
Chivalry
https://steamcharts.com/app/219640#All

Launched with peak of 24k, dropped to 8500 in one month, 3500 in two months

Mordhau
https://steamcharts.com/app/629760

Launched with peak of 60k, dropped to 47k in one month, 20k in nearly two months. Mordhau's second month after dropping is as good as chivalry's launch (according to these charts).

Chivalry lost 65% of its players in first month, total of 85% by the second month. Mordhau lost 22% of players I'm first month, total of 67% by nearly second month.

Not only is mordhau doing better than it's predecessor with total players, but it's also retaining more players. (According to these charts)

Further, it has a more solid foundation, so new objective modes and maps will improve it over time.

Launched with peak of 43k, dropped to 509 in one month, increased to 534 in second month. That's a loss of 99% in one month.

Chivalry's 60 day retention rate was 15%, arcanes 60 day retention rate was 1%, and so far mordhaus retention rate is 33% (according to these charts)

Oh no not a logical breakdown based on factual numbers. Run away

214 179
  • 17 Jun
 Dialectic

Dota 2 has impressive numbers: https://steamcharts.com/app/570

As does pubg:
https://steamcharts.com/app/578080

But "success" in business isn't limited to top tier success. A small machine shop can be "successful" and last decades while never even approaching Boeing numbers.

"Success" and survivability for mordhau isn't a guarantee by those numbers above, but its also not trending toward doom.

367 341
  • 17 Jun
 Peacerer

@crushed said:

@alonesilverwolf said:
You're failing to consider Mordhau's trend is a SOLID DECLINE. Other games have a dip, then the numbers steady ABOVE the initial launch numbers. Look at Siege's pattern. Starts at a number, gets super high, falls--but stays above initial launch numbers.

Mordhau had a set launch number, had a huge spike, then fell BELOW initial launch numberd AND CONTINUES TO FALL.

If you can't see how that is different from the usual new game trend, you need your head examined.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Most games peak at launch and then have a constant decline until playercount stabilizes. Playercount behaviour of games like Siege is an anomaly, not the norm.

Feel free to spin it the way that suits you best. However you can't deny retention rate is pretty bad.

15 72
  • 17 Jun
 Eggplant

@Dialectic said:

Correction: Mirage didn't launch with 43k concurrent players. That was after TB gave the game for free (not a free weekend, you got to keep the game) because the game had already lost so many players that literally no one was playing it most of the time. Even that wasn't enough to save the game and it was shut down and removed from steam not long after.

Knight 7759 14266
  • 17 Jun
 ToLazy4Name

@Peacerer said:

@crushed said:

@alonesilverwolf said:
You're failing to consider Mordhau's trend is a SOLID DECLINE. Other games have a dip, then the numbers steady ABOVE the initial launch numbers. Look at Siege's pattern. Starts at a number, gets super high, falls--but stays above initial launch numbers.

Mordhau had a set launch number, had a huge spike, then fell BELOW initial launch numberd AND CONTINUES TO FALL.

If you can't see how that is different from the usual new game trend, you need your head examined.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Most games peak at launch and then have a constant decline until playercount stabilizes. Playercount behaviour of games like Siege is an anomaly, not the norm.

Feel free to spin it the way that suits you best. However you can't deny retention rate is pretty bad.

Did you even read the post that was just made about retention rates?

Mercenary 2189 3903
367 341
  • 17 Jun
 Peacerer

@ToLazy4Name said:

@Peacerer said:

@crushed said:

@alonesilverwolf said:

Does it smell good?

214 179
  • 17 Jun
 Dialectic

One last point about numbers and whether or not a game is "dead." I played (online)tournament level on this indie fighting game: Absolver
https://steamcharts.com/app/473690

It had a terrible launch with servers that literally didn't function for the first week. Launched at 19k peak and was under 500 in 60 days (I was one of those poor souls).

The player count hardly ever recovered, though it saw slight bumps due to content drops. But the realistic player count for it is in the 150-500 range.

Awful numbers. But the game is still alive, the devs still are working on balance patches, and there are some core players still there (I gave up and left as I hated their balancing scheme).

Indie team with 160 active players and the company is still alive.

So... maybe what a "dead" game is isn't so obvious

Knight 7759 14266
  • 17 Jun
 ToLazy4Name

@Peacerer said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

@Peacerer said:

@crushed said:

@alonesilverwolf said:

Does it smell good?

I'm sure you have a very witty response waiting for when I ask what the fuck you're talking about

367 341
  • 17 Jun
 Peacerer

@ToLazy4Name said:

@Peacerer said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

@Peacerer said:

@crushed said:

@alonesilverwolf said:

Does it smell good?

I'm sure you have a very witty response waiting for when I ask what the fuck you're talking about

Like the smell up there?

Knight 7759 14266
  • 17 Jun
 ToLazy4Name

@Peacerer said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

@Peacerer said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

@Peacerer said:

@crushed said:

@alonesilverwolf said:

Does it smell good?

Like the smell up there?

I'm just going to take that as a "no" to both questions

777 1030

@ToLazy4Name said:

@Peacerer said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

@Peacerer said:

@ToLazy4Name said:

@Peacerer said:

@crushed said:

@alonesilverwolf said:

Does it smell good?

Like the smell up there?

I'm just going to take that as a "no" to both questions

I like where this is going... and where it came from

Baron 129 311
  • 17 Jun
 2cool2care

@Botas said:
No skill involved, everything is retarded ridiculous movement to make your feints or morphs as unreadeable as possible this is why the game is not popular it is an RNG slot machine with 0 skill whatsoever, this will never be popular.

68 94
  • 17 Jun
 narwic

I'll probably still be playing against bots on my lunch break when the community is gone. I'm still holding penny stocks after several reverse splits.

156 130

@2cool2care said:

@Botas said:
No skill involved, everything is retarded ridiculous movement to make your feints or morphs as unreadeable as possible this is why the game is not popular it is an RNG slot machine with 0 skill whatsoever, this will never be popular.

Literally nobody is saying this. Nice strawman attempt tho.