Mordhau

Low GPU useage in game

4 2

I noticed something this morning while sucking at Mordhau, my GPU is hardly being utilized (56% max usage in game); however, in the main menu, its using 97%. Now, I'm no computer wizard, but I cant seem to understand how that's possible.

Computer Specs:
GPU: 980 ti
CPU: i5 6600k
RAM: 16G DDR4

I have changed the relevant settings in my NVIDIA control panel to no avail, I've tired cranking the graphics up to Ultra, with the resolution scale set to 2x, reinstalling GPU drivers, and reverting the graphics to default with minimal change. I'm at a loss here on what to do, but front line is now unplayable due to the game turning into a PowerPoint slide-show every team fight. Is anyone else having the same issue? This last patch seemed to have made things worse. Any feedback would be great.

Duke 341 970

From what I've come to understand, the game is CPU bound. Meaning that when there are a lot of players on screen, this eats up your CPU resulting in less GPU usage. Try lowering any settings that utilize the CPU heavily - like character detail, cloth physics, ragdoll count and time.

4 2

@Ruby Rhoderick said:
From what I've come to understand, the game is CPU bound. Meaning that when there are a lot of players on screen, this eats up your CPU resulting in less GPU usage. Try lowering any settings that utilize the CPU heavily - like character detail, cloth physics, ragdoll count and time.

Thank you for the reply! Feelsbadman though.

383 577
  • 15 Jun
 smug

am i missing something? why is character detail not handled by the gpu

4 2

Update: I tried all of those suggestions which made no change, it actually made things significantly worse turning everything down -- BUT... the ragdoll count and duration seems to be a big one; I turned that down as low as my immersion would allow me. I'm useing the 250 FPS cap and the main menu's FPS to fine tune my graphics. I have set my graphics such that I'm now getting 240 FPS in the main menu which seems to work as a makeshift point of reference to find a balance between GPU utilization and CPU capability which nets me an average FPS of about 50-60 mid team fight. I think this is as good as it gets for now until they come up with a way to better optimize the game. I hope someone else finds this helpful.

531 283
  • 15 Jun
 Gambit

@CaptainDobls said:
Update: I tried all of those suggestions which made no change, it actually made things significantly worse turning everything down -- BUT... the ragdoll count and duration seems to be a big one; I turned that down as low as my immersion would allow me. I'm useing the 250 FPS cap and the main menu's FPS to fine tune my graphics. I have set my graphics such that I'm now getting 240 FPS in the main menu which seems to work as a makeshift point of reference to find a balance between GPU utilization and CPU capability which nets me an average FPS of about 50-60 mid team fight. I think this is as good as it gets for now until they come up with a way to better optimize the game. I hope someone else finds this helpful.

Keep textures on high and try lowering the render scale also. What usage is your CPU at? As said already, I presume it to be at 100%.

31 12
  • 15 Jun
 Makozer

@smug said:

yeah, ur gpu handles how it looks.

but what is telling the gpu WHAT is has to render?

the CPU

and in games like mordhau the CPU has to calculate many things, so usually the GPU is waiting for the CPU.

My RTX 2080 mostly between 40 - 60% load with up to 120 FPS, but CPU is crying all the time :D

Knight 685 1851

@smug said:

Character quality is a mislabeled setting. It controls the quality of animations for characters far away, nothing to do with graphics.