Mordhau

Racist and Profane Server Names

39 45
  • 13 Jun
 RyMarq

What is to be done about such a thing. There are limits to how much I care about the players, but I am not to keen on the server name
"Steadman's Nigger Slaveden" being acceptable.

Jesus christ guys, you aren't even trying here.

214 178
  • 13 Jun
 Dialectic

Saying Jesus Christ in vain is blasphemous and highly offensive to myself and millions upon millions of Christians, and I read it and hear it daily from fellow gamers. However, I've never demanded censure or bans or other fixes regarding this language.

We can't force each other to be exactly the way we want the other to be. If you dont like that server name, don't join them. It may go away naturally from being unpopular.

I understand feeling cringe at reading a word or phrase, but it's really best to just let it go and worry about bigger things

531 283
  • 13 Jun
 Gambit

@Dialectic said:
Saying Jesus Christ in vain is blasphemous and highly offensive to myself and millions upon millions of Christians, and I read it and hear it daily from fellow gamers. However, I've never demanded censure or bans or other fixes regarding this language.

We can't force each other to be exactly the way we want the other to be. If you dont like that server name, don't join them. It may go away naturally from being unpopular.

I understand feeling cringe at reading a word or phrase, but it's really best to just let it go and worry about bigger things

That is an awful comparison.

Server names are one thing I definitely think should be filtered, if not from a moral standpoint but a Mordhau publicity one. Imagine the amount of google results come up with Mordhau and nigger because of battlemetric listings. ISPs and parental filters will start classing it as a hate website.

214 178
  • 13 Jun
 Dialectic

The goal posts certainly seem to shift a lot

Knight 7577 13875

MAD ABOUT SERVER NAMES

IMAGINE IT

Conscript 294 345
  • 13 Jun
 Qwampa

Cmon.
Just play the freaking game and enjoy. Stop nitpicking and getting hung up on insignificant jokes.
This is to all of you complaining about racism and "toxicity".

39 45
  • 13 Jun
 RyMarq

@Dialectic said:

I have a pretty real standard for where politeness ends. I am not going to take the time to argue your dumb as hell claims about false equivalency.

There place is inundated with racists, active racism, and general douchebaggery. I can accept the difficulties of a server owner moderating everything, its nearly impossible. People will find a way to be whatever flavor of prick they want when it comes to the chat, active moderation can only control the intensity and its a delicate issue for the server owner to get right.

This stuff though? Trivial. This is basically the lowest possible bar for condemning racism, its down there with avoiding dressing "as a ghost". Literally, profanity alone should be covered on this on the server browser because of common decency - and it is avoided. The fact that this is the stuff that gets through and stands out is disgusting.

This isn't a line in the sand. This is way past the goddamn line. Get your act together.

39 150

You do understand how this works right? Whiny idiots make absolute targets of themselves by complaining about Every. Fucking. Little. Thing. Not enough black people, too many black people, not enough women, too many women, too much swearing, too little swearing. Morality policing makes you a cunt. Language policing makes you a cunt. Trying to control other people with shame and deplatforming makes you a cunt. Hating free speech makes you a cunt AND an enemy. And the more you ramp this shit up, the more pushback you'll get. These guys make Hitler characters to make YOU cry.

Do they hate blacks and jews? Probably not, but they fucking hate you and they enjoy making you cry.

39 45
  • 13 Jun
 RyMarq

The whiniest and most pathetic hide behind "free speech" when their values are trash.

So frequent they are so ashamed to speak what they actually believe they do it 'ironically', in a giant shit-storm just as bad as the more "genuine" racism. Really, your "platform" for free speech is to spam racial slurs on a FPS? How pathetic can you get.

717 587

nothing will rile virgins up more than saying u cannot say the n word. their imageboard melted brains get overclocked like they just got hit with an adderall dart and they will go on the most inane diatribes ever. it's pretty funny

Knight 7577 13875
  • 13 Jun
 ToLazy4Name

just for a moment I imagined being mad about words

LMAOO jk I can't even comprehend it holy fuck hahahaahahahahha

717 587

ya see that guys basically overloaded on a dopamine rush atm. i feel like they should pay u for verbally jacking them off after they cum

39 150

@RyMarq said:
The whiniest and most pathetic hide behind "free speech" when their values are trash.

So frequent they are so ashamed to speak what they actually believe they do it 'ironically', in a giant shit-storm just as bad as the more "genuine" racism. Really, your "platform" for free speech is to spam racial slurs on a FPS? How pathetic can you get.

If you say so. I believe anyone can say what they like. Words aren't violence. I even support dumb fucks like you missing the point. I don't say racist things, but if someone wants to spout shit, go nuts. No one who ever called me nigger had an impact on my mental state, it's only words. I'd take issue if they punched me in the face, but nigger is a word that only has as much power and you give it and Americans give it a fuck tonne.

When I was a kid the advice given was : If you ignore the bullies they get bored and move on. This is true in this instance as well.

For fucks sake, have some fucking fortitude you weak fuck.

39 45
  • 14 Jun
 RyMarq

@unabridgedpenis said:

@RyMarq said:

If you say so. I believe anyone can say what they like. Words aren't violence. I even support dumb fucks like you missing the point. I don't say racist things, but if someone wants to spout shit, go nuts. No one who ever called me nigger had an impact on my mental state, it's only words. I'd take issue if they punched me in the face, but nigger is a word that only has as much power and you give it and Americans give it a fuck tonne.

When I was a kid the advice given was : If you ignore the bullies they get bored and move on. This is true in this instance as well.

For fucks sake, have some fucking fortitude you weak fuck.

It is true, I used to think that way as well. Was part of a community where this was becoming increasingly tolerated more than a decade ago. Then joking turned more and more serious, like a 14 year old trying to proposition sex, and by now its basically 90% just blatant racism, rallying people against the Jews and talking about how Africans are an inferior race.

I watched this happen, and for the most part I said nothing. Now they are so far gone they are offended at the idea that anyone would call them on this stuff. Just dogpiling with the most moronic of counterpoints that basically amounts to 'your dumb shutup', like they were still teenagers. They are in their 30s and 40s now, tolerance has lead way to a cesspool of man-children who are too stunted to see their own twisted and pathetic forms.

As it stands, I still cannot care all that much, but the game should at least not allow this sort of obvious racism in its server names and forum topics. You cannot police every message, its stupid to try, but you can at least make sure you aren't mistaken for condoning the stuff or giving this trash a safe space to fester.

100 52
  • 14 Jun
 Minion

Think of it this way for the "bright" individuals who are saying stop complaining, grow the fuck and realize that this is not the kind of thing any first time game dev wants to be associated with, use your head. Anyone should be able to see how quickly the internet can turn against a game or dev, just imagine the news title "new game title promotes racism" even if it isnt it wont be good.

So even for you ToLazy4Name i would assume you like the game enough to want it to have an actual life span, so if this game just turns into one giant shit storm how long before it becomes the next sacrificial statement?

Knight 7577 13875

@Minion said:
Think of it this way for the "bright" individuals who are saying stop complaining, grow the fuck and realize that this is not the kind of thing any first time game dev wants to be associated with, use your head. Anyone should be able to see how quickly the internet can turn against a game or dev, just imagine the news title "new game title promotes racism" even if it isnt it wont be good.

So even for you ToLazy4Name i would assume you like the game enough to want it to have an actual life span, so if this game just turns into one giant shit storm how long before it becomes the next sacrificial statement?

This forum has years worth of us shit talking the devs in worse ways than players shit talk each other in-game. Everyone and their mother is complaining about "muh toxicity."

Not a single article has been written about any of this, because the gaming sites that would publish such articles are too stupid to even look at an indie game like Mordhau. They only pay attention to bigger games because complaining about bigger games is how they push their agenda.

Edit: also IMAGINE BEING MAD AT WORDS HAHAHAAHHA

214 178
  • 14 Jun
 Dialectic

@RyMarq said:

@Dialectic said:

I have a pretty real standard for where politeness ends. I am not going to take the time to argue your dumb as hell claims about false equivalency.

There place is inundated with racists, active racism, and general douchebaggery. I can accept the difficulties of a server owner moderating everything, its nearly impossible. People will find a way to be whatever flavor of prick they want when it comes to the chat, active moderation can only control the intensity and its a delicate issue for the server owner to get right.

This stuff though? Trivial. This is basically the lowest possible bar for condemning racism, its down there with avoiding dressing "as a ghost". Literally, profanity alone should be covered on this on the server browser because of common decency - and it is avoided. The fact that this is the stuff that gets through and stands out is disgusting.

This isn't a line in the sand. This is way past the goddamn line. Get your act together.

Double standards are sweet.

96 128
  • 14 Jun
 Reapy

You guys with your mad where you think words can't hurt or cause violence or problems are living in a bubble. You think it's not an issue for a company to have racist server names in their server browser? You think that makes good business sense?

I mean if you want to position yourself as a racist ironically that's fine, the world will only see a racist, even if you don't believe what flag you are standing behind. If that's who you want to be to the world, I mean go for it, congratulations, you're a racist, good job.

A lot of people spouting free speech don't even understand our (US) first amendment. You can't say anything you want. You can't shout "FIRE" in a crowded theater, you can be arrested. Political speech is protected, but if you aren't making a political statement or are attempting to incite violence or terror, you can be arrested. See texas vs johnson for reference, he burned a flag but because he was making a statement and not trying to incite violence, he got off. Had he not been protesting, his sentence would have stood.

Free speech generally protects what you and say though, but that doesn't mean that anybody has to stand around and listen to you, or want to be around you, or want to provide goods and service to you either, or even like you. It doesn't mean a business has to accept your racism either.

I don't know why you guys confuse common decency with insane SJW behavior because people don't want to listen to assholes typing racist comments 24x7 in servers and now polluting the server list with it as well. I don't know why if you like this game you think that they should let this kind of bullshit be the first thing player's see when they go to play their game. I can't understand how you'd argue at all that it's acceptable to leave it that way.

I'm pretty much like RyMarq though, I was young ,I was an asshole. I've though I was being ironic or funny because 'we didn't really mean it', but in the end the world will never know what is happening in your head, only how you choose to represent yourself. This is just advice for those younger I expect to get laughed at, but hopefully one day you might understand why you are surround by a certain type of person that might be very different than how you feel inside.

4 2

@RyMarq said:
What is to be done about such a thing. There are limits to how much I care about the players, but I am not to keen on the server name
"Steadman's Nigger Slaveden" being acceptable.

Jesus christ guys, you aren't even trying here.

Simple solution: Don't play at that server.

Adults don't let words affect them, I suggest you try to overcome this weakness.

21 44

Adults don't let words affect them, I suggest you try to overcome this weakness.